Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Meh the names for the new water types aren't too interesting. Maybe the seahorse might evolve into a poison/dragon like Kingdra somewhat. It'd be good in higher tiers maybe?? But no it'll probably remain poison/water :'(
How is water/poison a bad type, at all? The two water poisons we have access to right now [tenta and qwilfish] are both excellent pokemon. A bulky water immune to toxic AND fighting? Give me more!

Ok a bit late to the party but...

WELP looks like Fairy type is a thing after all. I ain't going to whine about it (as long as it's implemented properly it shouldn't be an issue), though I do regret them calling it fairy. While I don't personally mind, the fact is that a lot of shallow people are going to be going "OMG FAIRIES POKEMON IS SO BAD AND GAY NOW" just because fairies come with a feminine twist in modern western culture. There is of course, a lot more to the Fae in mythology than that but most of the people who play Pokemon aren't going to know or give a shit about that. Unfortunately.

As for the rest of the stuff, it all looks fine to me. Some of the Pokemon are eh, others are awesome (Noivern looks badass!) but none of them are Vanillish level of terrible or anything. Some new gimmicky battle styles is no surprise, seeing as they've put that sort of stuff in pretty regularly. This Poke-Amie thing has potential to be really annoying if you need to do it in order to maximize the potential of your Pokemon though. Of course since all my battling is on simulators it probably won't matter to me much, but I feel for the wi-fi people that'll have to add an extra step to their training regiment.

Oh, and a word of caution on those proposing old Pokemon to be retroactively made fairy type... I strongly suspect that the number of Pokemon that are going to be retyped will NOT be enormous, certainly nothing on the scale of some of the speculation I've seen. That being said there are many, many Pokemon that could POTENTIALLY be made fairy type retroactively. This means we have a lot of candidates, but you can be certain only a fraction of those will get retyped (along with a few we never saw coming I'm sure). So keep that in mind when suggesting that every cute/elegant Pokemon in existence is going to get a fairy type change :P

As for the competitive impact of fairy types, a lot of that depends on information we don't have yet. Simply being super-effective against dragons isn't a big enough deal alone to make it competitively viable; as people have pointed out without the stats and/or resistances and immunities to back it up they'll have little impact on the prevalence of dragons. It all depends on a number of factors, such as what other type interactions fairy has, what Pokemon get the typing, and the power and availability of fairy type moves both to them and to other Pokemon (if it ends with dozens of non-fairy type Pokemon getting it, and if Fairy turns out to suck defensively or something then you might well just see fairy type moves and not Pokemon, like you do with the Ice type).

So there's my two cents.

I think with Fairy types Dragon types finally gets something that can wall them all day long, making different playstyles more viable.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
As for the competitive impact of fairy types, a lot of that depends on information we don't have yet. Simply being super-effective against dragons isn't a big enough deal alone to make it competitively viable; as people have pointed out without the stats and/or resistances and immunities to back it up they'll have little impact on the prevalence of dragons. It all depends on a number of factors, such as what other type interactions fairy has, what Pokemon get the typing, and the power and availability of fairy type moves both to them and to other Pokemon (if it ends with dozens of non-fairy type Pokemon getting it, and if Fairy turns out to suck defensively or something then you might well just see fairy type moves and not Pokemon, like you do with the Ice type).
With the rumors going around so far (Pokebeach's hasn't been disproved yet and it's getting more evidence too) it looks like that Fairy will be immune to Dragon, which would significantly weaken Dragon-type STAB. But the rumors also suggest that Dragon will be it's only resistance, so Fairy looks like a more effective secondary typing.

This is all based in the Pokebeach rumor but we know for a fact that Fairy was made to check the power of Dragons (as said in the round table) so I think it's pretty safe to say that some form of resistance will be there. As for actual Pokemon goes we don't know a lot yeah, but hey at least we know that we'll have a Water/Fairy Azumarill.

but none of them are Vanillish level of terrible or anything.
Why do people not like Vanillish? I thought it looked fine.

"2nd scan: Furabebe, the Lone Flower Pokemon, is a Fairy-type. It can learn Fairy Wind. When this Pokemon is born, it looks for a flower and stays with it for its entire life.
So...what happens when we breed them? Do we gotta go flower picking?

Under other circumstances I would say yes, but we still don't have any information about Newtwo.

I also find it odd that Corocoro haven't shown all of the E3 Pokémon yet, even if they are on the Japanese site. If this are indeed the only scans, then hoo boy, we will have happy fun recapping time every month until the release, and it won't be just Smash.

The former was started by Hirobyte who stated Sylveon and Xerneas were going to be Pure Fairy and Yveltal was going to be Dark/Flying. He also stated that Clefairy will be Fairy-type. He also also apparently implied that one of the Gen 4 Pokémon will get an evolution in a forum according to somebody on 4chan, but I don't know how accurate that is.

The latter part was stated by a person who had seen the beta that contacted to WPM(Pokébeach's owner). Here is the information:
The last one were the name leaks of the previous Corocoro Pokémon, which turned out to be largely correct.

Both groups have stated that the other is full of crap, even though there is absolutely no contradiction between them nor they have the absolutely same information, except for Sylveon's type.
Please note that while PokeBeach's source says riding only works on Gogoat, IGN says you can ride a variety of different pokemon.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/e3-2013-pokemon-x-y-details-revealed
So PokeBeach is pretty much disproved (in my opinion at least).

just like we slaughter marowak when breeding cubone i think
Lol oh my god. Brilliant.

That's enough new Pokemon reveals for me. Time to wait and be oblivious until October.

Every gen I try to stay out of the info to go back to the naive Blue/Red days but I always fail and plan my team ahead of time, etc.

These are my general comments, not too long but meh

I just saw the news about yesterday (in one big helping)
eeeeeehhhhhhh
Fairy type is mighty strange. I would be more OK with anything else. Now I don't want to defend it against the other people in my home - it's really, really disappointing. They could have done anything else. But, hopefully, they don't make it THAT ridiculous, and I can see some of the mons with it really like having it I think (Azumarill and Gardevoir in particular, though idk about the new ones they unveiled - the flower-bee-fairy thing is kind of offputting (I'm not the only one that sees it as a bee and a flower, right?), but hopefully they'll make it have some less frilly designs. Right now Azumarill is my favorite out of the fairies they unveiled. And I hate Azumarill. Lol. (Preference but meh)

The lion thing (As Serebii puts it) is mighty strange, the eyes I dislike. Noivern is a nice design but not much else. Sky battles... That was an OM a bit ago wasn't it lol? the Flethcling evo is nice. Still won't use it though. I want to see helioptile's evo... I don't care about trainer search or whatever (Seriously, C-Gear all over again. Ugggh.) and the best part about the new info is... WILD HOUNDOUR. YYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAHHH. I can't be the only one that is excited for that lol. I don't care much about the other things they unveiled - in fact, if I wasn't addicted i would be regretting my pre-order of Pokemon X. Also, Pokemon-Amie sux.

So I guess there's a strong likelihood that all of this will be true?

Fairy will be a new type. It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it.

Sylveon is Fairy-type. Some older Pokemon will be reclassified to Fairy, such as Mawile (Steel/Fairy).

Mewtwo has two new formes, not just one. Both are activated via items.
The professor’s English name is Patrice.

The Starter final evolutions are Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, and Water/Fighting.
The first Gym is Bug, the second is Fairy, and the fourth is Fighting.
A few attacks will be dual-typed.

There will be a new type of battling style that Flying-type Pokemon and Pokemon with Levitate can participate in.

You will be able to see a Pokemon’s EVs at a certain in-game facility. You will be able to boost the EVs through mini-games. It will take about two hours to get one stat to max EVs.

Those rumors were posted in May, and the Fairy type, Flying battles, and Sylveon's type were proven true. So, what do you guys make of the reset of the rumors?

Two new Mewtwo forms? (Likely gonna have X and Y in their names)

Starters that are all balanced? (Similar to fourth gen somewhat)

DUAL Type attacks? I wonder how that'll work out

Even if they were right on some points (although I don't think Fairy is SE against Dragon Dark (I was mad), unless Fairy Wind is like 30BP or less), I still trust only official announcement...hell, correct rumours will still be correct after an announcement lol

Also, I don't think any attack will be dual-typed, things will probably become a mess imho <.<

So Pokebeach disproved.
the source that correctly called:
-the 4 english names
-fairy type
-fairy type being strong against dragons
-fairy retypings
-first gym leader is Bug type
-sky battles (down to even mentioning levitate mons can join)
-EVs & IVs being made more visible

is "disproved" because
Even though it shows the player riding on a Gogoat in the new trailer, players can’t ride on their own Pokemon. What was shown is just an alternate way of getting around Lumiose City and it only works with Gogoat.
seems wrong

which it might not be.
the roundtable actually specified at one point that you can borrow Pokemon from NPCs to ride which would match "can't ride on their own Pokemon" and for all we know Gogoat may be the only Pokemon you can ride in Lumiose city (since the roundtable didn't specify where and when you can ride various Pokemon)

By Hiro's comments & WPM's thoughts, some of his information might be intentionally wrong, sure, but I don't think writing off the entire source over one discrepancy (that might not even be a discrepancy) seems a bit off

Maybe the color of the flower depends on what biom the egg is hatched in.
Oh my God that actually makes sense with the region's divide into different sections and the color of each section.

Or the beta tester didn't get to do that bit/it wasn't in the beta yet.
They have been spot on with a whole lot of other things, you know.
Personally only issue I have with the rumors is the whole Fairies being super effective against Dark-types, when most of the Dark-type Pokémon and Dark-type moves are only somewhat above from being aggressively mediocre. It is logical, don't get me wrong, but it is horrible for balancing...

That said, if WPM's leaks are true for the current build I find it amusing that Dragon/Steel/Fairy/Ghost-types with Levitate will cover each other's weaknesses apparently.

As for others, yes, EV/IV thing seems to be going to be an actual feature.

"Q - With IVs and EVs, it's been very difficult to catch the right Pokemon and it is time consuming. Have you considered tweaking the formula to save player time?
A - (silence. . . deep in thought), didn't expect anyone to talk about that today (laughs). In Pokemon X and Y we are going to make these hidden specs more visible and easier for players to access."
http://pokebeach.com/2013/06/more-new-expanded-notes-from-x-y-conference

Edit: Ninja'd and
Even if they were right on some points (although I don't think Fairy is SE against Dragon, unless Fairy Wind is like 30BP or less), I still trust only official announcement...hell, correct rumours will still be correct after an announcement lol

Also, I don't think any attack will be dual-typed, things will probably become a mess imho <.<
http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/whats_new/fairy_type/

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Dual Type attacks wouldn't have to be confusing. Two hits, one of one type, one of another? Think like Tri Attack's GSC animation, and just implement the types. I can't see how that would be very hard to figure out, even for novice players. I would basically be two weak moves filling one move slot, and you'd be able to use both in one turn.

Dual Type attacks wouldn't have to be confusing. Two hits, one of one type, one of another? Think like Tri Attack's GSC animation, and just implement the types. I can't see how that would be very hard to figure out, even for novice players. I would basically be two weak moves filling one move slot, and you'd be able to use both in one turn.
interpreting it like that'd be cool. like, something like dual chop - one hits fire one hits ice or something? is that what you mean?

EDIT WHY DOES HE LAUGH ALL THE TIME
Masuda said:
didn't expect anyone to talk about that today (laughs)
Masuda said:
How did you know it was France? (laughs)
Masuda said:
Actually we weren’t supposed to admit France was an inspiration, whoops (laughs).
Masuda said:
There PROBABLY will be some kind of evil team. (laughs)

(laughs)

but there was an important/interesting quote:
Masuda said:
There PROBABLY will be some kind of evil team. (laughs)
is he just being japanese, or will we potentially not have an evil team this time around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)