Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you may think Clauncher isn't that impressive, but it's based on the Pistol Shrimp, who is pretty awesome. I'm expecting it to learn Bullet Punch and/or Octazooka...

Parting Shot looks like a lesser version Memento. That may be interresting.

Some of you may think Clauncher isn't that impressive, but it's based on the Pistol Shrimp, who is pretty awesome. I'm expecting it to learn Bullet Punch and/or Octazooka...

Pistol shrimps are one of the most badass animals in existence so that makes Clauncher automatically badass.

Edit: Sorry about the double post

i'm not really feeling octazooka - in japanese, it's octank [can't quite remember the japanese name] cannon, which has octillery's japanese name in it...

but, then again, kingdra gets it, so it's possible.

Just coming back from a long hiatus to catch up and prepare myself for generation 6. I am super excited for fairy type as it in and of itself will add a whole new aspect to the metagame. In terms of the actual game, I truly love every single pokemon revealed up until this point. If the rest of the pokemon this generation received as much effort, I honestly believe that this generation could replace Hoenn as my favorite region, mind you I have played since Blue version.

Now as far as the rumors go, I am pretty supportive of pokebeacher's leaker. He has gotten many aspects correct up until this point and a lot of the changes show that nintendo actually has been listening to the fans on this one. Although I love Poliwrath, I have been waiting for a competent Water Fighting type pokemon forever now. The argument that he said only gogoat can be ridden is semantics resulting from miscommunication. Gogoat may be the only pokemon you can ride in the city. This can by no way disprove a man who has leaked the names, moves, and mechanics before they were officially released. Although I will admit that I believe that the specifics of fairy's type chart are muddled but contain grains of truth. Although this is partially due to my fear that dark will receive another weakness and the failure of a fairy type move to kill the dark dragon type.

I have heard speculation that the leak described the dual types as a pokemon using a move receiving stab but the move has another types effect. Unfortunately I couldn't find the actual source but I find this to be a brilliant method to implement the long desired dual typed attacks as it is not overpowered and does not limit it to combo hits.

Now onto my own speculation, I believe that this game will not follow the traditional pattern of even ten games and only have 100 pokemon. This is both wishful thinking and what I believe to be common sense. With the pokemon currently revealed we are looking at least 34 pokemon. It seems absurd for so many pokemon to be revealed months before the game if there are only 100 new pokemon. Thus I am expecting upwards to 125 as it would allow people a ton of all new pokemon while nintendo doesn't have to reinvent the wheel as they attempted in generation 5.

The pet rhydon is super exciting as it further confirms the loosely confirmed suspicion that other generation pokemon will be available before the end of the game.

Finally with all of these pokemon, I am curious as to how large the map will actually feel. I greatly hope for expansive map despite the map appearing to be normal size in respect to the rest of the regions. This is particularly important in post game as I will want to keep busy.

The gameplay and mechanics look like the best so far so not worried about that. I am hoping that the story matches the manga level of good. I want an enemy team that accomplishes something, part of why I loved B/W so much was Team Plasma came the closest to winning. But then in 2 they are not even a threat. Team Magma I was hoping would win... Anyways I want to play the post game and have the sense that world is different now because of what they did.

Now onto my own speculation, I believe that this game will not follow the traditional pattern of even ten games and only have 100 pokemon. This is both wishful thinking and what I believe to be common sense. With the pokemon currently revealed we are looking at least 34 pokemon. It seems absurd for so many pokemon to be revealed months before the game if there are only 100 new pokemon. Thus I am expecting upwards to 125 as it would allow people a ton of all new pokemon while nintendo doesn't have to reinvent the wheel as they attempted in generation 5.
well, you have to remember that the online pokemon community is stronger than ever, and everything is going digital nowadays. that could simply be the case of more opportunities on the internet to cause hype.

i also noticed something else on the page.

Q – Will there be a story reason why Fairy-type will all of a sudden exist?
A – When we first decided we wanted to bring the type into the world, we wanted to find a way to balance the stength of the Dragon type. But no one wants us to weaken the Dragon-type Pokemon, so we decided to come up with something that could go against a Dragon, so that’s why we came up with the Fairy-type.
he completely ignored the question. he answered why they made it, rather than the story reason. while it could simply be miscommunication or not quite understanding what he was trying to say, japanese are very good at changing the subject and wording their responses carefully. is there some big story element about the fairy type? there wasn't a huge deal made about it in gold/silver, but lolstory in those games, and it was mentioned around jasmine and her gym.

the source that correctly called:
-the 4 english names
-fairy type
-fairy type being strong against dragons
-fairy retypings
-first gym leader is Bug type
-sky battles (down to even mentioning levitate mons can join)
-EVs & IVs being made more visible

is "disproved" because

seems wrong

which it might not be.
the roundtable actually specified at one point that you can borrow Pokemon from NPCs to ride which would match "can't ride on their own Pokemon" and for all we know Gogoat may be the only Pokemon you can ride in Lumiose city (since the roundtable didn't specify where and when you can ride various Pokemon)

By Hiro's comments & WPM's thoughts, some of his information might be intentionally wrong, sure, but I don't think writing off the entire source over one discrepancy (that might not even be a discrepancy) seems a bit off
This a thousand times. At this point It'd be hard to think the leaks were fake seeing as so many of the things are matching up

I admit I'm a lot more pleased about there being a new type than I thought I'd be. According to the leak, it effects many bad types in a positive way and many of the good types in a negative way. So it's a decent way to balance it. Gengar would actually have a reason to use it's Poison STAB, and in general Pokemon that can get Posion Jab, Gunk Shot, Sludge Bomb, and Sludge Wave would actually have a reason to use it, same with Pokemon with Iron Head and Luster Cannon or any other decent Steel Move. All of those moves are rarely used outside of stab, and many Pokemon with shit offensive options happen to get some moves of both of those types (Banette and Gunk Shot, for example, not that it'd ever be a good Pokemon or anything)

I remember when Dark and Steel were first revealed, and they even made them new types in the card game that were hard to use(Took them long enough to make Basic Energies for them). Everyone was excited about two new types entering the fray. While I doubt Fairy's hype will ever be as big, it's still a big deal.

I doubt they make a story to cover any of the holes the fairy type has created in the previous generations. They'll simply say that the pokemon world was unaware of the type, but that it was always there.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
interpreting it like that'd be cool. like, something like dual chop - one hits fire one hits ice or something? is that what you mean?
Yeah, exactly. Attacks consisting of two consecutive moves in one turn, one being of type X, the other of type Y.

Also, concerning rideable Pokémon: I think it looks like some areas will have rideable Pokémon permanently stationed in them. A Gogoat in Lumiose City, a Rhyhorn somewhere in the mountains, a Lapras on the rivers, etc. Those will not be your own Pokémon (as in, you can't use them for battle. Might be you're given ownership over one or two, though), they can not be removed from the area, and they will be the only ones available for riding. Think of it like the tag partners in various areas in BW2 or the Stat trainers from D/P. Your partner is exclusive to the area, can not be removed from it, but will follow you around within the area.
You'd be able to mount the rideable Pokémon and get around the area, possibly reaching some hidden places that can't be accessed otherwise, or participating in minigames. However, you won't be able to use them riding from town to town throughout Kalos. That being said, it might be GameFreak wants to expand on the concept in the future (as in Amity Square -> HGSS, concerning walking Pokémon).

With the double-type-attacks confirmed, can we spare a thought for poor Parasect?

Talonflame uses Flame Charge - Flying/Fire, defining characteristic is its speed

Flying AND Fire against a Pokemon thats 4x weak to both.
Now add Sunlight, and you cripple poor Parasect even more...

The double type attacks are just going to make everything more complicated. I mean how much STAB would you add to flame charge if the pokemon is Fire/ Flying???

uh... well, maybe 2x for STAB instead of 1.5x? like an adaptability boost?

[oh fuck adaptability flametalon + flame charge = base 200 power & + 1 spd]

So flame charges power would be 120 with a speed boost? That sounds highly unlikely. I assume it'll stay at 1.5 it'll just get more coverage.

or 100.. not sure if flame charge if 50 base power or 60

If Fairy is super effective against Dragon and Dark , and immune to Dragon, doesn't that make Xerneas's Fairy stab 4x effective against Yveltal? If Xerneas is Fairy/Psychic and Yveltal is Dragon/Dark of course. Yveltal would only be able to hit back with 2x effective Dark attacks, assuming Fairy's only resistance is Dragon.

Seems to me Xerneas will be def. inclined and Yveltal will be an offensive beast so that it evens out

Also, if Fairy is immune to Dragon, I can see Gardevoir going to OU, with it's weakneses being Dark, Bug, Steel. Come in on a dragon type locked into outrage, force it out, and then Calm Mind on the switch or hit the incoming Steel or Dark type with Focus Blast and dent it.

So flame charges power would be 120 with a speed boost? That sounds highly unlikely. I assume it'll stay at 1.5 it'll just get more coverage.

or 100.. not sure if flame charge if 50 base power or 60
yeah, it's base 50.

and aww, that's no fun. i ran a calc on a theoretical attack like that under max possible damage [sun, crit, choice band, helping hand, max attack ivs and investment {assuming it's base 100 attack} with adamant nature, against a dry skin level 1 paras with no ivs or evs and a hasty nature]

+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability (custom) Helping Hand (Move 1) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Dry Skin (custom) in sun on a critical hit: 1576600-1854832 (14332727.27 - 16862109.09%) -- guaranteed OHKO on 143327 - 168621 paras under those specifications [though probably more considering the adaptability boost would probably apply to both the flying and fire stabs though i'm not sure how i'd calc that]

idk it's no shuckle but it's not bad

EDIT how could i forget about ho-oh

+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Ho-Oh Helping Hand (custom) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Dry Skin (custom) in sun on a critical hit: 1893848-2228064 (17216800 - 20255127.27%) -- guaranteed OHKO on 172168 - 202551 identical paras

ho-oh destroyer of worlds w/ lowly 50 base power move on an estimate that is guaranteed too low. though obviously this situation would pretty much never happen it'd be a holy shit moment and i don't think a dual type move would work like this lol.

With the double-type-attacks confirmed, can we spare a thought for poor Parasect?

Talonflame uses Flame Charge - Flying/Fire, defining characteristic is its speed

Flying AND Fire against a Pokemon thats 4x weak to both.
Now add Sunlight, and you cripple poor Parasect even more...
They have NOT been confirmed. Neither pokebeach or serebii has mentioned anything.

I'm assuming they don't let 16× effective attacks happen.

If anything, they make attacks that have split BP, and that will be my guess.
To give an example with an existing move, I can see Scald hitting for 50 damage on the Water type and 30 damage on the Fire type.
That means Emboar using Scald hits with a base 95 attack, STAB factored in.

If Emboar attacks a Grass/Bug (w/o factoring in abilities) with said Scald, it will hit with 50 × 0.5 + (30 × 1.5) × 4 = 205 BP.

252 SpA Emboar (205 BP Hyper Beam) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Leavanny: 249-294 (85.27 - 100.68%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO

No, things would not get out of hand I assume.

Just think things through to see how it work, but brokenness can easily be avoided as you see. Of the older moves, I can only see Blaze Kick and Heat Wave gaining a split damage (but Heat Wave's damage output against most Grass- or Bug-type wouldn't change at all since those types are weak to both Fire and Flying, whereas for Blaze Kick the same logic goes (but then for (most) Steels).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)