Pokemazter's Work Compendium

.::TEAM AT A GLANCE::.

Team Building Process - A bit long.
I found myself in need of a new team, as the Smogon Ladder was just chewing my current team to pieces. Lucario was the biggest source of my problems, and in turn, I began to appreciate it, as it was able to compete with a large chunk of the metagame. So, I based the team around Lucario.

Becasue I decided to run Ice Punch over Crunch because of the increased presense of Dragonite, and so that Gliscor couldn't wall it mid-sweep, Jellicent, and to an extent Reuniclus and Gengar pose a threat to Lucario. A great check and counter to them is Choice Scarf Tyranitar, so I added one to the roster. As both Pokemon are fairly weak to speedy Fighting types such as Terrakion and Ground types like Landorus, I added a Choice Band Scizor to scare them away with a Technician Bullet Punch. The presense of Priority also helps with the likes of Cloyster, and it's always a nice asset to have for Revenge-Killing.​

At this point, Conkeldurr and some other Mach Punch abusers and Dragon Dance or Choice Band Dragonite could run amok with my team, so I invested in a Skarmory to wall the physical threats and maintain the defensive aspect of the team. It also helps lay down Spikes, leaving momentum Pokemon like Scizor and other land-dwellers at the mercy of hefty Entry-Hazard damage. Making note that Heatran and Volcarona are fairly free to destroy at least half of what I have, Rotom-W came into the picture for it's access to Hydro Pump, Volt Switch, and so opposing Skarmory couldn't straight up wall the team. It also provides Will-O-Wisp, leaving Physical threats coming in on the switch, bar those with Guts, crippled. Volt Switch is great for momentum and a free switch for an appropriate counter to my opponent's Pokemon too.​

I added Celebi for Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave support, balancing the team's Defensive and sweeping capabilities. Giga Drain and Psychic also provide fairly useful against the likes of Gastrodon, Swampert, and Toxicroak. After about twenty or so tests on Smogon, I found the team was severly lacking, especially against countering Heatran, Arcanine and Dragonite. I also found that opposing Skarmory were a problem. Seeing this problem, I added a Pokemon specifically to deal with those three and the few others that gave the team problems by adding Latios and replacing Skarmory, as the initial idea of Phazing wasn't really working, the large amount of spinners ruined the layers of Spikes, and it seemed just as more of a Stall tactic, which I try to avoid using. Latios carries Surf, Hidden Power Fire, and Dragon Pulse, all cover the added threats.​

This was more my playstyle. Not quite Hyper Offense, but mostly offensive based. The lack of a Physical Wall was noticeable, but being fast enough and strong enough made the need for defense a shade lesser. Until I ran into setup Pokemon, which Skarmory saved me with, having the Phazing. I found Terrakion had an easier time tearing the team apart, as did Lucario, and that Slowbro was providing as a great late-game wall against this team. I needed this solved, as I wasn't in the neighborhood for a mediocre team, but a well built team. I removed Latios, Scizor, replacing them with a utility Heatran and Landorus, also changing Celebi from Support to Special Sweeper, giving myself more usage out of Celebi, and a way to abuse my weather. And this is where the building process ends, where I've found a suitable, but not quite finished team.​

After about a week here at the Smogon RMT and testing, the Conkeldurr, and a Terrakion weakness was really coming into sight. Having asked on how I could solve this, replies were in no short of supply, the best being Gliscor, which walls both Pokemon up a wall. Gliscor also adds to the overall defense of the team, making it harder to break down and finish off. Heatran also became a Specially Defensive version, thus adding to the bulk to the team. Tyranitar traded it's Scarf for a Band, and Rotom aquired the Scarf. This team looks better now. Back to the ladder for more testing.​

Because Infernape is gradually becoming so much more common, I needed some way to shut it down. Rotom-W couldn't cut it, and Gliscor was having troubles with it. Thus, I invested in Slowbro, as both the Physical and Mixed variants can't really touch it. Unfortunately, this made me all the much more slower, so I decided to remove Celebi. I was in the market for a Special Attacker that would be fast enough to outpace pretty much anything. Without Rotom, I really drop reliable Skarmory coverage in the Rain and outside slowbro, coverage against Heatran. This is where Latios got it's second shot on the team, being able to outpace basically whatever it wants, bar some Choice Scarfed Pokemon, and hit things really hard. Most of my team is fairly Landours weak, basically bar Slowbro and to an extent Latios, so I need a way to fix this, or I'm going to get eaten alive by opposing Sand teams.​

The newest change here was the replacing of my Lati twin for the other, more so to provide offense over a longer period of time instead of the instantaneous offense that Latios provides. It also helps provide some defense against Special Attackers, such as Rotom-W or Reuniclus. It's a minor change, but in the long run, it should work out fairly well.​

With Rotom-W being a top 5 Pokemon based on usage, it's only natural that I find it on the ladder. And it walks all over the team, so out goes Gliscor, as Slowbro does it's job better, and it really provides nothing outside of that, I'm finally abole to run Gastrodon instead. It absorbs the Washing machine and many others, even helpign against the slight Jellicent problem I have. This team finally looks like it's nearing completion. Your thoughts?​

Tyrannus (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
-Crunch-
-Pursuit-
-Stone Edge-
-Superpower-​

Tyranitar is my desired weather choice, as sand is not as broken as Rain has become, nor soley reliant on itself to maintain the team like Sun is. Tyranitar's main job is to revenge kill Psychic and Ghost types with Pursuit, along with Volcarona with Stone Edge. If needbe, it can get a sweep up with Crunch and provide some important offense to the team. Superpower is for opposing Tyranitar and Pokemon like Scrafty. Tyranitar's item has been changed to a Choice Band, and his EV's modified in order to deal with Pokemon that would otherwise wall Lucario, such as Jellicent or Reuniclus.

Jackal (Lucario) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
-Swords Dance-
-ExtremeSpeed-
-Close Combat-
-Ice Punch-​

I based the team around Lucario, and chose it because of it's unpredictability. I've chosen to run the Swords Dance set, as the advanced Priority of Extremespeed at +2 seemed very dependable. I'm currently running Ice Punch because of Landorus and Jolly Gliscor, Pokemon that Rotom-W has difficulty bringing down. Close Combat is STAB and a very reliable attack, dropping mostly anything it hits Supereffectively, and Neutrally at +2 or +4.

Slowbroseph (Slowbro) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.A
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
-Scald-
-Psychic-
-Slack Off-
-Thunder Wave-​

Infernape was a huge check to my team. Not anymore doth Slowbro quote. It walls and destroys the Mixed and Physical variants, and to my knowledge, lives the Grass Knot. Scald is STAB and has that ever so promineint chance of a Burn, which is always nice to have. Psychic is also STAB, providing great coverage alongside Scald. Slack Off allows Slowbro to keep doing what he does, and Thunder Wave supports the team through Paralysis, leaving holes for Tyranitar and Lucario to clean up things and destroy.​

Fem-Bot (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Calm Mind-
-Recover
-Dragon Pulse-
-Hidden Power [Fire]-​

Latias has replaced her brother for the access of a much bulkier sweeper, being able to set up on Pokemon like Reuniclus and eventually stall it out. It doesn't hit as much as her brother did, nor quite as hard right off the bat, but it still provides and is able to survive longer. This change however, re-opens my struggle with Jellicent, as I've lost the powerful Thunderbolt from Latios, but the setup of Calm Mind should undo this issue.

GastroSlut (Gastrodon) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Sp.A / 252 Sp.D
Sassy Nature (+Sp.D, -Spe)
-Earth Power-
-Toxic-
-Ice Beam-
-Recover-

Rotom-W has walked all over this team. Latias was the only safe switch-in, and Volt Switch was usually leading to a Choice Tyranitar Pursuiting my Latias to a quick death. It also helps my team against Starmie, as it was at times proving difficult. Earth Power hits said Starmie, Jolteon, and whatever Ice Beam won't. Toxic whittles my opponent's down, namely Rotom-W, and Recover helps keep the Slug alive longer so it can more effectively do it's job.

Sponge (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
-Stealth Rock
-Roar-
-Protect-
-Lava Plume-​

Specially Defensive Heatran replaces my previous Heatran to provide more bulk to the team. Not entirely sure on wheter to risk becoming Taunt-bait by using the four non-atatcking moves or fill the vacant slot with Lava Plume. Stealth Rock is my reliable Hazard, and Protect and Toxic are used the same way they are on Gliscor, to stall out for extra damage. Because gliscor has Toxic, should I run Will-O-Wisp instead?​

The team is nearing the completion stage, no? If you have any ideas, feel free to throw them out there. I'm more than willing to accept the ideas.

Exportable Version:
Tyrannus (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spd
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Jackal (Lucario) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Slowbroseph (Slowbro) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Fem-Bot (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse

GastroSlut (Gastrodon-Ea) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpAtk / 252 SpDef
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Sponge (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Protect
- Lava Plume

Past Members:

Bug Punch (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Sp.A)
-Bullet Punch-
-U-Turn-
-Superpower-
-Pursuit-

Shit A Brick (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -Sp.A)
-Roost-
-Spikes-
-Whirlwind-
-Brave Bird-

Supersoaker1 (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Sp.A / 148 Spe
Modest Nature (+Sp.A, - Atk)
-Volt Switch-
-Hydro Pump-
-Will-O-Wisp-
-Pain Split-

Jets (Latios) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp.A / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Dragon Pulse-
-Surf-
-Hidden Power [Fire]-
-Recover-

Time Vine (Celebi) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Sp.A / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
-Giga Drain-
-Psychic-
-Earth Power-
-Hidden Power [Fire]-

Supersoaker2 (Rotom-W) @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
-Volt Switch-
-Hydro Pump-
-Hidden Power [Ice]-
-Trick-

Sonic Boom (Latios) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Lavitate
Timid Nature
-Draco Meteor-
-Hidden Power [Fire]-
-Surf-
-Thunderbolt-

Glistall (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
-Toxic-
-Protect-
-Ice Fang-
-Earthquake-

Bobtheball4

CAP Playtesting Expert
if i had to rate your team, i would rate 8/10. it is a well balanced team overall. but it would be nice to add an importable version for Pokemon Online.

Pretty Good team but your lacking proper defense try changing Heat into a SPDefensive set. CS Terrakion can cause some problems cause it can KO 99% of your team a proper counter is Slowbro as i takes even X-scissor very well can theaten it with Scald(Plus a burn)

Mazz's Work

.:: MAZZ'S WORK COMPENDIUM ::.

# of SCMS Edits: 1

BW Analyses

Ubers:
||-|-|-|-|-|

Overused:
|||-|-|-|-|

Underused:
|||||||||||
|||*|-|-|-|-|

Rarelyused:
||-|-|-|-|-|

Neverused:
|-|-|-|-|-|-|

Little Cup:
|-|-|-|-|-|-|
Underused Offensive Threatlist
UnderUsed Defensive Threatlist
* indicates a WIP
** indicates a reservation
~ indicates under edit / revisal

BW Projects
BW Suspect Tests

XY Projects
UU Beta Research Week #1

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]That's Landorus' role, as he'll outspeed an Adamant Scarfed version, which most people run, and hit back with Earthquake. It can't switch in on Lucario's Close Combat or Rotom-W's Will-O-Wisp. I'll keep the suggestion of Slowbro in my mind, but for now, don't see any immediate need to make this change. I did try Sp.D Heatran, but I simply prefer a Utility version. I'll keep that in mind too.[/QUOTE]

Shoot i didnt see land there but yh keep the Slowbro in mind it may be useful

Looks pretty good, though i would run Crunch over Ice Punch on Lucario, since Landorus will usually outrun it and gliscor is that terribly common nowadays, it helps with bulky psychic types if Landorus is dead.

Looks pretty good, though i would run Crunch over Ice Punch on Lucario, since Landorus will usually outrun it and gliscor is that terribly common nowadays, it helps with bulky psychic types if Landorus is dead.
Fair enough. I'll test it.

EDIT: Tested, and yeah, Crunch might work better. But I do want to know, is it to more benefit to catch a Dragonite on the switch in with Ice Punch and drop it with Extremespeed or run Crunch for what else could wall Lucario?

It appears to me that a Technitop would run through you. Obviously Celebii and Landorus are strong against it, but a Mach Punch would hurt TTar, Tran, and Lucario pretty well. I suppose Conkleder is also in that boat with a stronger Mach Punch as well.

It appears to me that a Technitop would run through you. Obviously Celebii and Landorus are strong against it, but a Mach Punch would hurt TTar, Tran, and Lucario pretty well. I suppose Conkleder is also in that boat with a stronger Mach Punch as well.
This is the second time that a fairly common Fighting type has been seen to cause a bit of Damage on the team, and during play, I sometimes see this, as it really depends on the set and how the battle has progressed. Recalling back to the Slowbro suggestion, is adding a Slowbro in place of one of my Pokemon going to be worthwhile? If so, who does it replace?

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hey, cool team. Although your team packs a more offensive variant of Tyranitar, I think that you may find calm mind Reuniclus a troublesome threat to face in some situations. In a lot of cases, Reuniclus needs to be sitting at around the 50% health range in order for Tyranitar to have a shot at koing it. This may be pretty irritating especially since relying on your opponent's Reuniclus to have a certain portion of its health won't be a reliable strategy for you to win against it at all. Shifting from choice scarf Tyranitar to a choice band Tyranitar is a pretty viable option to fix this problem. Although your team loses some speed, choice banded Tyranitar will easily dispose of any Reuniclus problem on this team. Also, Tyranitar is still able to ko some trouble threats that plague ice punch Lucario such as Jellicent, Gengar, as well as other pursuit weak 'mons. Just make sure that you run a spread of 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe on Tyranitar. This allows you to outrun and ko Jellicent, which also really benefits a sweep for ice punch Lucario.

You're still pretty weak to Terrakion and Conkeldurr. Although bulk up Conkeldurr in particular will be able to do a lot of damage to this team especially if it is able to catch a free bulk up on something like Tyranitar. It seems like Landorus is the weakest link on this team. Even though it has the ability to easily stop Volcarona after one quiver dance, I think that if you just shift Heatran to a specially defensive variant with roar that you will have a much more reliable check anyways. Gliscor would be something that fits over Landorus pretty well. It gives you a very reliable switch into Conkeldurr as well as most variants of Terrakion. If you want to add some more speed to this team after losing a choice scarf user, I think that it would be useful to at least test out scarf Rotom-W over your current variant. This will add a general sense of speed to your team that you may feel that you have lost with a few of these changes. I really think that Celebi should have recover over either earth power or psychic as well. Although you do get very good coverage with those four moves, I think that the ability to switch in and recover off damage taken from threats such as specs Politoed is too good to pass up. gl.

I don't usually comment on these rate team builders, but your team has a huge infernape weakness. Only your rotom somewhat can resist it. If the infernape has the hp ice, your team is screwed.

I would say that AB2's suggestions pretty much run down the team, but you could always change Jolly on Landorus to Adamant so it will be able to put much larger holes in your opponent. With Adamant he will still be able to outrun almost all threats, but you will have the added power, I think the Attack stat on the spread is about 380 and the Speed stat with the spread is around 450. With another hard hitter, it will make it easier for your slower and more defensive Pokes to finish off threats.
Good Luck Pokemazter

QC Team Application

Pokemazter said:
Nice Braviary set.

Anywho, the first thing I notice with the spread is that U-Turn should be going in slot four, and Superpower or Rock Slide moving up to the third slot. This is because U-Turn is less important than the other two moves. Also, Return and Brave Bird should swap their positions, as Brave Bird is the stronger STAB move and is more likely to be used more. Next, Braivary would rather be using Sheer Force if it decides to use Rock Slide, as the extra boost in Power will change a few 2HKOs into potential OHKOs. That being said, Sheer Force should be slashed before Keen Eye (hell, drop Keen Eye altogether), as it does make Rock Slide all the stronger, and is more or less a better ability as accuracy-decreasing moves are nearly non-existent. The third thing I'd change on that set would be to move Braviary's 4HP into its Special Defense stat, as the extra HP point isn't preventing additional Stealth Rock damage or gaining it a Leftovers / Life Orb number. This prevents Pokemon with the Download ability, such as Porygon2 or Porygon-Z from getting a free boost on Braviary.

As a side note, I'd probably get the other QC members to weigh in on separating the Choice Band and Choice Scarf sets, as the two play completely differently. Choice Band turns Braviary into a wallbreaker, and Scarf into a late-game cleaner and / or revenge killer. I'll be writing the analysis from the perspective of a Choice Scarf set, but will make a mention in AC that Choice Band is perfectly usable.

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>When equipped with a Choice Scarf, Braviary turns into a highly effective late-game cleaner and revenge killer, cranking up its mediocre base Speed and allowing it to outspeed the entire unboosted UnderUsed metagame. Brave Bird, Braviary's most effective STAB move, grants an immediate removal of any Grass-, Bug-, or Fighting-type while heavily damaging types that don't resist it. Return plays off of Braviary's dual STAB, allowing Braviary to rough up Electric-type switch-ins anticipating a Brave Bird. Superpower gives Braviary a way to muscle through most Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon, the two types that resist Braviary's STAB combination. However, Rock Slide may be used to grant a super effective hit on many popular Flying- or Fire-type Pokemon found in the tier, such as Crobat, Zapdos, Darmanitan, or Arcanine. U-Turn allows Braviary to act as a scout and provide momentum for its teammates, providing an appropriate check to the Pokemon Braviary previously faced.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is designed to maximize Braviary's Speed and Attack stats while preventing Download users, such as Choice Scarf Porygon-Z, from gaining a free boost from Braviary. Also, and Adamant nature is perfectly usable over a Jolly nature if additional power is more desirable than the extra speed. If so desired, Braviary can utilize a Choice Band to the same effectiveness of a Choice Scarf, changing its role from revenge killer and cleaner to wallbreaker. Shadow Claw may also be used over U-Turn if your team struggles against Ghost- or Psychic-types, as it creates moderately decent super effective coverage alongside Braviary's STAB and Superpower.</p>

<p>Because Stealth Rock is quite the burden to Braviary, stealing 25% of its total HP stat every time it switches in on the entry hazard, a Pokemon capable of utilizing Rapid Spin, such as Blastoise or Hitmontop, would make a great teammate for Braviary. Pokemon capable of laying entry hazards for Braviary to abuse, such as Roserade, Froslass, Rhyperior, or Nidoqueen, also make good teammates, as they force the opposition to take additional damage upon switching in, turning many of Braviary's 2HKOs into OHKOs. Because of its excellent bulk and Solid Rock, Rhyperior poses as an issue for Braviary, taking relatively mild damage from Superpower and resisting all other moves. A partner Swampert or Virizion is recommended to help deal with Rhyperior, as their STAB will quickly overwhelm Rhyperior, giving Braviary free reign to smash the opposition.</p>

And I believe that's it. Changes, Set Comments, and AC.

A Mixape can absolutely devastate you know that I'm looking at it. An infernape in general would hurt you. This leads to me to suggest Slowbro over Rotom. The physical and most mixed various will be walled, but a special variant would hurt. I guess the deal breaker is if that ape is packing Mach punch and/grass knot.

UnderUsed Offensive Threats

Abomasnow
  • SubSeed -
  • Expert Belt -
Accelgor
  • Spikes -
  • Offensive -
Ambipom
  • Lead -
Arcanine
  • Offensive -
  • Sunny Day -
Azelf
  • Nasty Plot -
  • All-Out Attacker -
  • Choice Band -
Azumarill
  • Choice Band -
  • SubPunch -
Bisharp
  • Swords Dance -
Chandelure
  • Substitute -
  • Choice Scarf -
  • Choice Specs -
Cinccino
  • Physical Attacker -
Clefable
  • Life Orb -
Cobalion
  • Swords Dance -
  • Calm Mind -
Cofagrigus
  • Offensive Trick Room -
Cresselia
  • Substitute + Calm Mind -
Crobat
  • Stallbreaker -
  • Choice Band -
Crustle
  • Cutsap Lead -
  • Shell Smash -
Darmanitan
  • Life Orb -
  • Choice Scarf -
  • SubPunch -
Druddigon
  • Choice Band -
Durant
  • Hone Claws -
  • Choice Band -
Eelektross
  • Offensive -
  • Coil -
Empoleon
  • Agility -
  • Choice Specs -
Escavalier
  • Offensive -
Flygon
  • Choice Scarf -
  • Physical Attacker -
Galvantula
  • Special Attacker -
Golurk
  • Tank -
Heracross
  • Choice Scarf -
  • Swords Dance -
  • Choice Band -
  • Substitute -
Hitmontop
  • Technitop -
  • Bulk Up -
Honchkrow
  • Life Orb -
  • Choice Scarf -
Houndoom
  • Mixed Attacker -
  • Nasty Plot -
  • Choice Scarf -
Lilligant
  • Quiver Dance -
Kingdra
  • Substitute + Dragon Dance -
  • Rain Dance Sweeper -
  • Offensive Dragon Dance -
  • Choice Specs -
  • ChestoRest -
Krookodile
  • Choice Scarf -
Machamp
  • SubChamp -
  • Bulk Up -
Magneton
  • Substitute -
  • Choice Scarf -
  • Choice Specs -
/
Meloetta / Meloetta-Pirouette
  • Relic Mixed -
  • Calm Mind -
Mew
  • Stallbreaker -
  • Nasty Plot -
  • Swords Dance -
  • Choice Scarf -
Mienshao
  • All-Out Attacker -
  • Substitute + Baton Pass -
  • Choice Scarf -
  • Swords Dance -
Mismagius
  • Nasty Plot -
Nidoking
  • Special Attacker -
  • Choice Scarf -
Nidoqueen
  • Offensive -
Omastar
  • Shell Smash -
Porygon-Z
  • Agility -
  • Choice Scarf -
  • Choice Specs -
  • Nasty Plot -
Porygon2
  • Duck Tank -
  • Trick Room -
Raikou
  • Life Orb -
  • Choice Specs -
  • Choice Scarf -
Rhyperior
  • Choice Band -
  • Rock Polish -
Riolu
  • Prankster -
Roserade
  • Offensive -
Rotom-C
  • Choice Scarf -
  • Choice Specs -
  • Non-Choice Attacker -
Rotom-F
  • Choice Scarf -
  • SubSplit -
Rotom-H
  • Choice -
  • Bulky Attacker -
Sceptile
  • Swords Dance -
  • Special Attacker -
  • SubSeed -
Scrafty
  • Dragon Dance -
  • Bulk Up -
Scolipede
  • Spikes + 3 Attacks -
  • Swords Dance -
Sharpedo
  • Physical Attacker -
  • Special Attacker -
Shaymin
  • Life Orb -
  • SubSeed -
Slowbro
  • Calm Mind -
  • Offensive -
Slowking
  • Offensive Trick Room -
Smeargle
  • Baton Pass Lead -
  • Spikes -
Snorlax
  • Choice Band -
  • CurseLax -
Suicune
  • Offensive -
Swampert
  • Choice Band -
Tangrowth
  • Sweeper -
Togekiss
  • ParaFlinch -
  • Choice Scarf -
  • Defensive Nasty Plot -
  • Offensive Nasty Plot -
  • Mixed Attacker -
Tornadus-I
  • Acrobatics -
  • Rain Dance -
Victini
  • Choice Band -
  • Choice Scarf -
  • Special Attacker -
Venomoth
  • QuiverPass -
Virizion
  • Swords Dance -
  • Calm Mind -
Weavile
  • Swords Dance -
  • Physical Attacker -
Yanmega
  • Life Orb -
  • Choice Specs -
Zapdos
  • Offensive -
Zoroark
  • Choice Specs -
  • All-Out Attacker -
  • Nasty Plot -
  • Choice Scarf -

Last edited:
Any idiot dumb enough to run choice scarf scizor will hurt you, seeing as bug bite knocks out 2 team members and superpower kills 3 at different times. However, again, this requires idiocy to be done. Otherwise, pretty much any infernape is a big threat. Overall, though, SD infernape is probably the scariest of the bunch, being perfectly able to carry 3 moves that can maul the team except gliscor: close combat or mach punch/u-turn/SD/thunderpunch. However, that set is rare, if even existant and used, so don't freak too much about it. NP infernape is the 2nd most terrifying...as it can run a set of HP ice/focus blast/flamethrower/NP. Be wary, as that set could possess grass knot, too. Most things aren't the safest switch-ins against a skilled predictor...and this is where your own predictions come in. If you fear infernape, do a double switch or draw a move if you can.

Have fun and gl man.

Try replacing Latios with Celebi, as all three of the threats are taken care of them, and it also helps take down Reuniclus, you might have problems with ScarfTar but I'm pretty sure Standard Celebi can take one Crunch.

A few quick problems with the things you've said just for your future reference, not trying to be an ass...

Infernape was a huge check to my team
Lol at phrasing here. Individual pokemon are checked, not whole teams. Even if they could, "huge check" is almost an oxymoron; you might as well say "counter".

That's Landorus' role, as he'll outspeed an Adamant Scarfed version, which most people run
No one with half a brain runs Adamant Scarf Terrakion. His main perks are being able to outspeed basically the entire unboosted metagame (no one really runs scarfers faster than him) as well as all the common dragon dancers. With Adamant, he loses out to even Base 100 Scarfers, as well as Naive Salamence.

One more very unimportant thing to note: the name "Glistall" on Gliscor kinda gives away your set. Its lol, I know, but in a close game everything counts.

Anyways, annoying quibbles aside, lets see if I can help you out a bit. On Heatran, use Lava Plume, Protect, Stealth Rock, Roar. Lava Plume's hax gets you the status you need more often than not, so other status moves aren't strictly necessary. Plus, it'd be both criminal and very dumb to not take advantage of Heatran's excellent special attack. Trust me: sometimes it looks good on paper to have a fully support mon with no attacks, but when it comes down to it you're gonna want something to hit back. Take Chansey for example: I always find it tempting to utilize all her wonderful support moves in one set of Heal Bell, Stealth Rock, Wish, Softboiled, but when you do this you find yourself at a loss against boosters you should be hard-countering like Venusaur, and unable to do anything when you don't need to pass wishes to anyone or heal anyone's status. That went off-topic, but anyway, your Heatran also needs Roar badly to prevent being set up on by the countless boosters that resist fire attacks or calm their minds.

Psyshock has much more utility than Psychic on Latios. For a small decrease in base power, you get to hit Calm Minders and dedicated special walls.

As for threats, Jellicent looks like she could cause problems, as you mentioned. Your only solid switch-in is Latios, and given that Jelly is often found on sand teams, he can be pursuited to death fairly easily by Tyranitar.

Rain teams look like they could be an issue as well, because your only two resists are torn apart by the Scizor-Rotom cores they so often contain. And Slowbro can't take all that much on the special side.

To remedy these two things, I think bringing back Rotom-W in some way would be helpful. I would replace Slowbro with him. Rotom-W ends any issues with bulky waters and rain you may have. Infernape is not really all that common these days. And Latios deals with him quite well anyways, resisting his stabs and taking pittance from HP Ice. U-turn doesn't even do all that much, and unless he does it straight on the switch-in he can't use it since you outspeed.

I'd use Supersoaker1's exact set because the Sandstorm residual is too much of a nuisance for the Choice items.

Have you played around with the idea of Thunderbolt on Latios to hit Jellicent? Slowbro has Psychic, which means as a whole your team won't lose coverage, and I would imagine that Slowbro is the one taking on fighting types such as Conkledurr and Terrakion for this team, not Latios.

Thunderbolt hits Jellicent for 73%-85% and its not suseptible to being weaken by burn or being recover-stalled.

Of the 4 pokemon you cite as problems 3 are weak to grass types. I would suggest replacing Heatran with Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn hammers Jellicent Tyranitar and Rotom W with a stab powerwhip only needing to watch out for willowisps from jellicent and Rotom. Ferrothorn can come in on Scarf tar easily taking negligible damage from anything except fire moves of super power and retaliating with gyro ball or power whip. Ferrothorn can also wall Rotom W with ease taking next to nothing from any of its moves except the rare hp fire. However Ferrothorn needs to beware getting crippled by trick or will owisp. Jellicent is the same story as rotom w. Ferrothorn can also 2hko landorus with gyro ball though cant take repeated boosted earthquakes. Ferrothorn is a better choice for replacing heatran then other grass types because you keep a dragon resist on your team and ferrothorn can still set up stealth rocks. Though you still would have 3 fighting type weaknesses you drop your number of water and ground type weaknesses to 2 which is a nice bonus.

Underused Defensive Threats

Amoonguss
  • Physically Defensive -
Arcanine
  • Physically Defensive -
Blastoise

• Utility -
Bronzong

• Tank -
  • Dual Screens -
Claydol

• Support -
Cofagrigus

• Defensive -
Cresselia

• Defensive -
  • Dual Screens -
Cyrogonal

• Rapid Spin -
Druddigon

• Bulky Paralysis Shuffler
Dusclops

• Curse -
  • RestTalk -
Empoleon

• Specially Defensive -
Ferroseed

• Spiker -
Froslass

• Utility -
Gligar

• Defensive -
Hitmontop

• Rapid Spin -
Milotic

• Physically Defensive -
  • RestTalk -
Nidoqueen

• Defensive -
Porygon2

• Defensive Duck -
Qwilfish

• Utility -
Registeel

• Utility -
Rhyperior

• Tank -
Roserade

• Spikes -
Sableye

• Prankster -

Slowbro

• Physical Tank -
Snorlax

• RestTalk -
Suicune

• CroCune -
  • RestTalk -
Swampert

• Defensive Tank -
Tangrowth

• Tank -
Umbreon

• Wish Support -
Uxie

• Dual Screens -
  • Support -
  • Field Supporter -
Walrein

• Stallrein -
Xatu

• Support -

Last edited:
A choice scarfed Landorus would destroy you. Obviously, you've got some pokemon to keep it checked, but it's still a huge threat to you. Gastrodon would fit better than Gliscor in this light. Mainly because an Earthquake will flow through 3 of your pokemon (Heatran, Lucario, and Ttar), HP Ice hits 2 (Gliscor, Latios) and that lovely u-turn will annoy Slowbro. Gastro would take each hit well, and can keep Lando in check slightly better.

Ferrothorn makes the team all the more Heatran weak, which is one of the reasons I have Heatran on the team, just because it is oh so common. I really do like the idea of Ferrothorn, but I'd need to see a bit on how I could efficiently work it into the team.
With the way the team is now there is no place for Ferrothorn that won't cause more problems than it will fix. If you did make putting it in a priority I would say switch it for Gliscor, but then you will loose your main Terrakion counter. Maxed defensive Ferrothorn actually might be able to take a Close Combat from Scarfed Terrakion and then OHKO with Power Whip or Gyro Ball, but I'm not sure. If you still want to test it, here is the spread I would use. Max defense to replace Gliscor as a physical wall. Leftovers + Leech Seed + Protect restores an enormous amount of Hp, and can wall most Dragon Dance sets. Power Whip is STAB and since you have no other grass type moves, but you can test Gyro Ball too. But like I said, this set is a long shot, and will probably cause more trouble than it will solve with your current team standing. I posted it for you curiosity.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
252 Hp/252 Def/4 Sp. Def
Impish
-Protect
-Leech Seed
-Spikes
-Power Whip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)