Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that it would be pretty cool if the terrain affected the battle. Like if the terrain is ice then ice types might get a speed boost.
Terrain already affects battles somewhat; Secret Power gets a different chance effect, Nature Power chooses a different move, and Camouflage changes you into a different type. Speaking of ice, Nature Power would get something like Blizzard or Ice Beam, Secret Power could freeze, Camouflage would make you an Ice-type.

I don't see a difference between using Sleep Talk for Whirlwind and just using Whirlwind by itself...Would it change priority or something?
Yeah, that's the point of the set: when using it through Sleep Talk, it will have normal priority, since Sleep Talk's priority is the one used in that case.

And that's true Pika, but I also think that more terrain effects might be a nice addition to the games.

Instead of an orb that always makes a pokemon asleep, how about an ability? It would be given to a Slakingish pokemon (with less base stats), and could make an interesting gimmic. In fact, I saw someone who was coming up with ideas for Gen5 around Platinum's release, and came up with an idea similar to that.

Could be pretty cool if implimented right. Just... make sure not to give it Skill Swap.

A pokemon who's always asleep would make a good status absorber, but would have to rely on Sleep Talk or Snore to try and hurt anything. Maybe it should have an ability like Regigas or Slaking, and be asleep for 3-5 turns and wake up afterwards. It might be cool with a massive attack stat.

A Pokemon who's ability is to sleep seems like a defensive concept to me. Maybe a set like...

Rest Talk
Slack Off
STAB Attack
Roar/Whirlwind/Status/Secondary attack

Would be pretty fun to play with i reckon, although gimmicky and probably won't become standard due to its unpredictability.

I meant a move that doesn't also use up your item slot. Besides, a Slaking-ish Pokémon would be unlikely to get Recycle.

Ah...im sorta hoping they don't change the physical special spread because in the past games it was diffictult to find a good moveset. I also hope that they don't change something drastic....

On the other hand, I've been waiting so long! I was hoping for two pokemon with 600 bst like in ruby/sapphire (salamence metagross) and for a change one be a wall and the other be a special sweeper. I hope the characters don't look like idiots (way to go 4th generation) again.And more legendaries is always more fun, soooo yeah..

Sleep Talk has 16 PP max, a defensive Pokemon forced to use Sleep Talk every turn of the battle would suck bad.
They'd probably just give it a signature move that can only be used while sleeping. Something like an 80+ Base Power Snore. They'd probably give it to Snorlax, too.

Ah...im sorta hoping they don't change the physical special spread because in the past games it was diffictult to find a good moveset. I also hope that they don't change something drastic....
You know, new games bring improvements. They won't fix it if it ain't broken.

Face it, shinies are only in it for braggin right rewards and that's all well and good.

But you know guys, If I told you before gen 4 that machamp would get no guard and that it would be possible to stack SR and TSpikes with regular spikes, you would have cowered in terror saying it would be broken.

I don't think that this aero will be broken. It falls to priority users, plus you have to set up the entry hasard, which is easier said than done. If you don't set enough, then sleep talk only have 16 pp, which go away quickly.

It can, however, setup a dragonite extremespeed sweep by weakening everything.
But paralysis does set up a glaceon sweep in hail, and no one will say that thunder wave is broken.

A new generation will bring diversity. It's aldready impossible to counter everything, it's not so bad. Just play your own game. Have the other guy try to counter you.

I really wonder what the new starters will bring from a competitive standpoint. I mean, it's gonna be pretty hard to trump Infernape, unless they bring in a sweeper with even better offensive stabs, mixed attacking stats, and speed. Even if they did it would be pretty broken unless it was extremely frail. I'm talkin 50/50/50 defenses here.

On the other hand, I've been waiting so long! I was hoping for two pokemon with 600 bst like in ruby/sapphire (salamence metagross) and for a change one be a wall and the other be a special sweeper
In other words, you've been waiting for something exactly like Cresselia and Darkrai?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Face it, shinies are only in it for braggin right rewards and that's all well and good.

But you know guys, If I told you before gen 4 that machamp would get no guard and that it would be possible to stack SR and TSpikes with regular spikes, you would have cowered in terror saying it would be broken.

I don't think that this aero will be broken. It falls to priority users, plus you have to set up the entry hasard, which is easier said than done. If you don't set enough, then sleep talk only have 16 pp, which go away quickly.

It can, however, setup a dragonite extremespeed sweep by weakening everything.
But paralysis does set up a glaceon sweep in hail, and no one will say that thunder wave is broken.

A new generation will bring diversity. It's aldready impossible to counter everything, it's not so bad. Just play your own game. Have the other guy try to counter you.
That's why I didn't say it would be *broken* or even really dominant, but rather it's existence would be just one of those things that leaves a really bad after taste, like Wobbafet or Shaymin-S (in shaymin's case, it really was banned simply because people thought it's haxiness was cheap-- but imo, a grass pokemon has to be that good to do things in OU). Or the idea of Sonic Boom in LC. :P

They could give the new starters more useful abilities. But that seems a bit unlikely.

Water's usually a good defensive type. So there's the possibility we could see a new and useful bulky water. The role is crowded though.

Fire tends to be more offensive. Infernape does such a great job there though. Of course it upstaged Blaziken, so it could in turn get upstaged itself.

Grass is generally mediocre. But maybe give the starter a great movepool - strong attacks and a buttload of support moves.

In all three cases, for the new starters to stand out I reckon they'll need either unique abilities (unlikely), good signature moves (possible, but knowing Game Freak a rubbish signature move is just as if not more likely), or useful secondary types (most likely).

Not sure how likely it is, but Grass/Electric doesn't look like a bad typing. Defensively grass loses its flying weakness, while electric loses its ground one. Still 4 weaknesses left mind (Poison, Fire, Bug, Ice). Offensively grass hits ground (which blocks electric outright), while electric hits flying; you also hit every water type bar Kingdra, Palkia, and Ludicolo for SE with your STAB, and you get a fair number of the dragons neutrally. Opposing grass types wall you though.

Of course, the starters might not be grass-water-fire.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
They could give the new starters more useful abilities. But that seems a bit unlikely.

Water's usually a good defensive type. So there's the possibility we could see a new and useful bulky water. The role is crowded though.
Seriously. Forget Bulky water types-- they're too powerful as it is. They should make some water sweeper types!

Water is probably the best STAB offensive type in the game, but Starmie is probably thing with anything close to a fast sweeper, and with it's meager 100 base offensive stat, it can only do so much.

Still, when you consider how much damage pokemon like Starmie or Empoleon can cause with their modest offensive stats, imagine a water type with say, Alakazam's spread (and maybe Normal as a secondary type). It could be like a Dolphin with Hyper Voice and Water Spout, or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)