Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is real, I'm pretty happy it turned out to be a dark type and not a shitty ghost typing. I'm gona love it so much if they give it a good stat distribution and maybe they introduce powerful dark type moves.

It's real. I hoped for something without mascara personally, but could be worse. And I hoped for dark/fighting too.

If this thing is fast and has pursuit, I could easily see it fitting on many teams as another Rotom-H, Gengar and Latias counter/revenge killer. 120 base speed would make it perfect.

Also the only other really fast dark type we have at the moment is Weavile. If this thing has speed, he could easily do what Weavile does without the SR weakness, especially if it has a bit of bulk to it (although based on its picture, it doesn't look like it could take many hits because of how thin it is).

I'm really intersted in seeing it stats, movepool and ability.

Interesting... oh hey!

"Evil Fox Pokémon", "Zoroaaku".

"Zorro" is Spanish for "Fox". "Aku" is Japanese for "Evil".

Hah! Clever name.

Judging by its slender looking body, I wouldn't expect this thing to be any bulkier than Weavile.. although losing the Ice typing that plagued Weavile is a plus.

I'll be interested to see its possible 'new' ability. Look like it could be a Rapid Spinner as well; STAB Dark attacks would certainly scare Ghost away from blocking the spin. If it does having Fighting as its secondary type, it would make a brilliant Spinner, indeed.

edit:

Prediction on Base Stats:

Type: Dark
Ability: Technician / Level Playing Field (ignores priority for all moves, including your own)

HP: 79
Atk: 115
Def: 70
SpAtk: 95
SpDef: 70
Spd: 111
BST: 540

Move Pool of Note:

Attack:
Rapid Spin, Night Slash, Pursuit, Sucker Punch, Superpower, Low Kick, Focus Punch, Psycho Cut, Lick, Dark Pulse, Focus Blast, Ominous Wind, Vacuum Wave, Hidden Power, U-Turn, Fire Fang, Leaf Blade, Dig, Hyper Fang, Roll Out.

Non-Attack/Support:
Nasty Plot, Taunt, Spikes, Agility, Glare, Howl, Mean Look, Moon Light, Protect, Roar, Rest, Sleep Talk, Baton Pass, Substitute.

Notes: This would undoubtedly make him the best Baton Passer, and possibly Spinner in OU. Base 111 speed, with access to Taunt, Nasty Plot, Agility, and Mean Look. An ability to ignore priority, means he won't be easily take out before his pass goes off. It allows him to easily Roar Shuffle Pokemon as well, thanks to ignoring Roar's priority.

With his Dark typing, Ghost will seldom want to switch in, allowing him to freely Spin. He's a decent physical sweeper, thanks to Technician and Howl, and has access to Nasty Plot on the other side.

thats so exciting! i can hardly wait for more! fast, hits hard but kinda fragile? i guess that's how most of us feel. and Dark/Fighting would be really cool.

haunter

Banned deucer.
This is a quite inaccurate assumption. The Rotom formes don't seem exactly sturdy when you look at their sprites, but they have solid defences. On the other hand, look at Rampardos, its sprite looks like a truck but then it has paper defences.

On a more serious note, is this confirmed to be mono-dark? or can we still hope for a 2nd typing?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I looked as hard as I can for that very answer, and I've reached the conclusion, it, is, indeed, going to be mono-Dark.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There are so few mono-Dark–types that I would be surprised if Gen5 went that route, especially for its posterboy. Only 25% of the Dark-types are mono-type, though one of them is very prominent in Darkrai, and the game wouldn't pimp an Absol, Mightyena or Umbreon so early. This would somewhat disappointing for those of us who want a good second type (Fighting), but also encouraging in that Darkrai is fantastically good (but then back to disappointing for those of us who favor Standard play).

Maybe the mascara is for females only, similar to female Wobb's lipstick? Or at least I hope so. The design is great-for a female, but the male version would look hellacool without that.

It will certainly be interesting to see what it's abilities are. Given the mystery surround the word "phantom" I think it could have a large effect on the OU metagame.

I think it is mono-dark, although nothing is confirmed as of yet. Serebii just says both it and the pre-evo are dark type. Based on its artwork, though, what other type could it possibly be? It is a quadruped, keep in mind, which doesn't fit into the fighting type. Could it possibly be another ghost + dark?

I have had an account for a while, but this is actually my first post on these forums :)

Anyways, I took a look at the scans on Serebii, and I can say with some certainty that the new pokemon is indeed mono-Dark. My Kanji is a bit rusty so I can't read the whole page , but below and to the left of the image of Zoroaaku there is the kana for Type. Next to that, there is the Japanese word for Dark.

Unless they are being purposefully misleading, it looks like there is no secondary type.

Since Zoroark is the first Pokemon revealed, it might have its own signature move (like Lucario got Aura Sphere). I can imagine Zoroark getting an 120 BP Dark attack with effects similar to Close Combat.

Dark and Ghost need more powerful sweeping moves this generation than just 80 BP attacks, as that BP might make some pokemon way more viable in competitive play.

Since Zoroark is the first Pokemon revealed, it might have its own signature move (like Lucario got Aura Sphere). I can imagine Zoroark getting an 120 BP Dark attack with effects similar to Close Combat.
"Zoroark" hasnt been confirmed yet so technically it hasnt been the first Pokemon revealed.

Looks terrible, to be honest. The pre-evo is cute and is like an evil Vulpix...
But the Zoroark... thing... Yeah, terrible. Mascara, ponytail, anorexic build... Looks like Lucario with a wig. Or some digimon.
Plus, both have stupid animu eyes. They look like furry material more than actual Pokemon.
I think everyone with talent on the design team just jumped ship already, leaving a bunch of otaku teens in charge.

Also, I lol'd at the people starting to talk about him in competitive play. Jesus Christ we only know his type...

They might, but there's no need for them to do so. The GSC starters were no worse than starters of other groups, and they've had at least one mono-type fully evolved starter in every game except DPP. Plus, Fire has never had a mono-type fully evolved starter outside of GSC: That by itself would make it interesting.

I'm hoping for the starters to end up as:

Mixed-focus Fire
Special-focused Grass/Dragon (Sceptile should have had this typing, but they can still do it)
Physical-focused Water/Fighting (or maybe Dark or Flying; mono-Waters are too ubiquitous to be interesting)

I also want to finally see a Fire/Ghost type, which seems like a natural type combination that has been overlooked. However, gaining the Ghost type through evolution seems very odd and unlikely except in a case of strange evolution similar to Shedinja, so the Fire starter can't become a Ghost-type.
No Pokémon has ever gained a Bug, Electric, Fire, or Rock typing through evolution. Only in somewhat odd circumstances has a Pokémon gained a Ghost, Grass, or Water typing through evolution. (Shedinja, Wormadam, and Marill respectively.)

I guess GameFreak does this because these types somewhat define what kind of creature a Pokémon is. How does something that's not a bug, become a bug through evolution? This makes sense for Bug, Rock, Ghost, and Grass, but I don't see why it should be true for Fire and Electric though.

It really kills the interesting secondary typings we can hope to see from the starter trio.

EDIT: I agree on Zoaraku being a Digimon. Furries ftl.

My current theory:

- Opal and Amethyst are the potential names, based on Nintendo buying the websites and registering for the trademarks.
- Opal is a very ghostly stone, with lots of colors swirling. It also reminds me of how psychic energy is represented in Pokemon
- Amethyst is a deep purple color is very ghostly in appearance. It's the kind of purple we often associate with the paranormal
- The new pokemon revealed looks like Dark/Fighting and has been revealed to be the "Z" in the new Pokemon movie named "Phantom Ruler Z." Notice the "phantom" part?

So my guess is that now that the pokemon games have explored genetic engineering and elementals(gen1), more elementals (gen2), weather & space (gen3), time, space and existence (gen4), they will now be heavily focusing on the otherworld, ghosts, phantoms and psychic powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)