Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Weavile's is kind of vague but could just be Slash, really unsure though.
Ok so speaking of boss fight changes, I find this very interesting. If Cyrus' Weavile is using normal Slash, that's kinda weird cuz in DPPt the only time it used that move was as a Sneasel in the man's pre-Spear Pillar battles. Assuming this is the actual in-game boss fight this either means a) the final fight has been weirdly nerfed which doesn't seem in line with the changes thus far or b) the first (assuming they're using DP boss order) fight at Galactic HQ has him using Weavile right away, which would be a very nifty change

I was just guessing based on it being a fast slashing animation, but the thing is that it doesn't really look like the normal Slash animation with one horizontal gash.
1635279211498.png

1635278524801.png

The purple effect reminds me of Shadow Claw to be honest, even though it's not really that ghostly and closest to the Gen 6 animation. It'd make sense for the AI to use it on a Lucario at least.
1635279531380.png
1635279804031.png

Also it's true you can't really tell where these battles are taking place with the galactic background, kind of the opposite problem SWSH had with the white building interior. I guess we'll only be able to see Spear Pillar as a backdrop against the legendary.

As for the trailer I think the chibis look better when not zoomed in. In general it seems like these trailers are going chronologically through the game, so I wonder if we'll get one last brief trailer on the E4/postgame like LGPE had with its final trailer showing the E4 and Red/Green.

I'm not entirely surprised but too bad Charon was left out, which probably means Looker won't be here either.
Kind of for the best honestly. The way Charon was executed in Platinum was pretty poor actually given that you never got to actually fight him. With the frankly poor design choices this game is being developed with, it's probably for the best he was left out since they wouldn't have done him justice anyway.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
The purple effect reminds me of Shadow Claw to be honest, even though it's not really that ghostly and closest to the Gen 6 animation. It'd make sense for the AI to use it on a Lucario at least.
I rewatched that part again and if you listen carefully you can hear the "not very effective" sound effect, so I'm thinking it's Slash

Btw, seeing as Jupiter's Skuntank now has Snarl, that right there confirms that the TM list is being altered as Skuntank has never learned the move via level-up in any appearance

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not entirely surprised but too bad Charon was left out, which probably means Looker won't be here either.
I couldn't care less about Charon, but the prospect of Looker not showing up in this game makes me deeply sad. He's an absolute icon of a character and has been in every generation thus far since his debut, having major roles in all of Platinum, BW1, XY, and SM, and having minor appearances in ORAS and USUM and his appearance is always a treat because he's such an awesome character.

Unless Legends somehow finds a way to put him in that game, this would mark Gen 8 as the only generation thus far that Looker has never shown up, which is very unfortunate given how great he is.

Kind of for the best honestly. The way Charon was executed in Platinum was pretty poor actually given that you never got to actually fight him. With the frankly poor design choices this game is being developed with, it's probably for the best he was left out since they wouldn't have done him justice anyway.
It was hilariously ironic how Charon was hyped up to be a big important new character in Platinum but in the game proper it was clear his sole function in Team Galactic was that to be "that guy nobody likes" amongst the entire team.

He really was just there just to be a character whose biggest defining trait was that no one liked him. It's kind of funny in a sad way honestly.

iirc they've tweaked a few animations here and there throughout gen 8.
Usually its on par with this: basically the same animation but with a little extra tweak to it.

Wingull's attack animation is another I remember. It looks basically the same until you compare them side by side and they are subtly different, iirc.

Honestly jsut makes me think that yeah something about the process partially broke some animations and easier to recreate the original since its something to base off of and accept a little tweak than come up with something entirely new.

One thing in particular I think BDSP is doing really well compared to past games is that the environmental battle backgrounds in this game look great and really pack in detail compared to the overworld maps, especially with the panning shots in gyms we've seen today, which in general seem to all have spotlights and original designs. You can actually see the cave and water reflections when fighting the lake legendaries too. Hopefully these are usable in link battles.
1635300767335.png
1635300808006.png

1635300889267.png

1635301001109.png

1635301153213.png
Also wanted to point out on its own that the Great Marsh overworld is more like DP, but the actual battle background has broken logs and swamps from Platinum.
1635301284559.png
1635301297057.png

1635301262613.png
1635301236426.png

Incidentally with how (some might say OVERLY) faithful they are to most of the spritework of the original DP it is very odd to me that all the cone trees are now uhhh whats the word I'm looking for. Bundles? Blobs?

They more closely resemble the trees from FRLG's Viridian Forest (/Pattern Bush)
The biggest loss in this will be the Battle Zone trees being bread and butter instead of tropical like in Platinum. The aesthetic and vibe of that area completely changes, for the worse, as a result.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Adding onto that would be the fact that Stark Mountain loses its distinctive volcanic vibe with how dark and charred it looked in Platinum and the steaming hot lava compared to generic mountain aesthetic in DP. Stark Mountain really stood out a lot more in Platinum for the fact that it was clearly a damn volcano and not just some ordinary cave or mountain, especially Route 227 just outside it where it was clear that place was really heated up.

Charon being cut is surprising, especially considering that he's the one who discovered Rotom and its forms, which I'm almost certain is going to appear in games. The Platinum outfits being behind early purchase feels scummy though. Weren't the apricorn balls already enough as a pre-order purchase?

I couldn't care less about Charon, but the prospect of Looker not showing up in this game makes me deeply sad. He's an absolute icon of a character and has been in every generation thus far since his debut, having major roles in all of Platinum, BW1, XY, and SM, and having minor appearances in ORAS and USUM and his appearance is always a treat because he's such an awesome character.

Unless Legends somehow finds a way to put him in that game, this would mark Gen 8 as the only generation thus far that Looker has never shown up, which is very unfortunate given how great he is.
I think Looker is kind of a thing of the past. He was supposed to be the guy tying games and regions together.
Pokemon moved away from old continuity in SwSh. Not a single NPC returned, even Colress and Oak don't show up. It was almost a reboot of the franchise.

Charon being cut is surprising, especially considering that he's the one who discovered Rotom and its forms, which I'm almost certain is going to appear in games. The Platinum outfits being behind early purchase feels scummy though. Weren't the apricorn balls already enough as a pre-order purchase?
The apricorns are a pre-order bonus at certain retailers & I don't think America is even getting those, instead getting 12Quick Balls or 100 Pokeballs. These are codes that come with your pre-order that you redeem.

Platinum's outfits are like the Manaphy Egg: anyone who purchases the game before the end of February will be able to download them off Mystery Gift. It's less tied to the game specifically and more just "there is an event give away that will go on during this time period".

I don't think its scummy, really. not anymore than the usual "early purchase" events they've been doing for years, just a little weird to have what is effectively an Event Exclusive outfit.

Speaking of Rotom forms, it seems like the Galactic Eterna Building uses the DP layout, but slightly adjusted the corner to add a gap closer to how Platinum hid Rotom's Room so that might be coming back in the same way, though I could see the key being given ingame this time. (https://redd.it/qgugby)

1635346258853.png
1635346987615.png
1635347041704.png

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
This video mentions that apparently "every move has been reanimated" and they were told "Hyper Beam looks especially awesome". I can believe that there are at least some changes since Thunderbolt looked different and even Scratch looks slightly changed in that footage.
So you're telling me they wasted time on something only a handful of Moves needed (because a slightly different animation isn't going to help with the major issues people had with moves like contact moves not looking like they make contact because the Pokemon don't move closer to each other).

We got news!
"News"

Seriously, why are they introducing the Gym Leaders in pairs like it's going to be a surprise who they are. Just do a single video that's a Gym Leader showcase.

Hey hey hey lets not come to any drastic conclusions, it could still be incredibly likely that they use Platinum mons; i mean, you see Volkner’s DP team, right? You dont seriously think they’d pull that stunt again when they fixed it in Platinum?
Maybe if we're lucky and they allow them to be re-battled they'll have their Platinum (rematch) teams.

AYOOOO PLATINUM OUTFITS

Mystery Gift unfort but hey, it's something I suppose
... Why? Why not just have them in the game? Like, maybe instead of making them Mystery Gift exclusive, make it so that you'd normally have to play halfway through or just before going up to Snowpoint to unlock (so after Canalave I believe). However, with this limited time Mystery Gift, you're given it from the start.

Though I guess it's nice to see what they really think of Platinum: it's a temporary incentive.

I would've much preferred if they made them permanently available in the shop in some form or another. As I said, the fact that they're rendering them as limited time Mystery Gifts is indeed unfortunate. On the other hand, I suppose it's better than nothing and at least I'm not paying a fee for them or it being rendered a pre order bonus so it could've been worse.
Except it is essentially a pre-order bonus. Its one that lasts for a few months, but it still has the basic idea that those who buy it early get this exclusive gift, one of the few references to Platinum, and those who don't miss out.

By the way, Candice's ice puzzle seems to be unchanged
Notably unchanged from its DP setup, SO guessing that means we're back to math problems in Hearthome, no flower clock in Eterna, and pushing walls in Veilstone.

Also there's a new earlygame screenshot of the other protagonist's room in Sandgem, notably Dawn doesn't have a hat here.
Hm, that's interesting as these Clothing Sets and not individual clothes. So is their a clothing set which is the default clothes but lacking the hat? Or do all clothes have the option to remove the hat? Or maybe they'll reveal you can do the Let's Go thing where the hat, shirt, and pants are interchangeable (and for the hat have a hatless option).

Oh, wow, that's right. Looker went from appearing in every game to now not even appearing in the remake of his debut generation. Maybe his ancestor will be in Legends... or he'll appear via time portal and that's why he wasn't in Sword & Shield.

I rewatched that part again and if you listen carefully you can hear the "not very effective" sound effect, so I'm thinking it's Slash
Prediction: They reverted Steel back to resisting Dark & Ghost. Why? Because that's how it was in DP, silly. :psysly: (I'm joking)

Isn't he apparently based on David Tennant as Doctor Who?
That's the joke by the Western audience, Looker is likely more based on Detective Koichi Zenigata from Lupin the Third.

Notably unchanged from its DP setup, SO guessing that means we're back to math problems in Hearthome, no flower clock in Eterna, and pushing walls in Veilstone.
I think its already established in previous trailers that the Eterna gym will have its DP layout (honestly the only gym that i REALLY hope keeping its plat layout is Hearthome is as I really do not want to have that dreaded math gym puzzle)

The apricorns are a pre-order bonus at certain retailers & I don't think America is even getting those, instead getting 12Quick Balls or 100 Pokeballs. These are codes that come with your pre-order that you redeem.
Iirc, the Amazon dual-pack pre order gives you a code for the apricorn balls.

On a related note, should we expect any other pre-order bonuses to be announced? I originally went to pre-order from Gamestop, but the pins are meh and I would actually use the apricorn balls

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Prediction: They reverted Steel back to resisting Dark & Ghost. Why? Because that's how it was in DP, silly. :psysly: (I'm joking)
I know you're joking, but we now know for a fact that this is false. In the latest "news drop", we saw Volkner's Luxray using Crunch on a Bronzong and it was immediately followed up by a super effective sound, which is only the case when Steel doesn't resist Dark and Ghost. This flat out confirms that Steel no longer resists Ghost and Dark in these games, as if it did, Crunch would've hit Bronzong neutrally in such a circumstance.

This coincidentally also means that we no longer have to strictly rely on a Fire-type to defeat all those damn Bronzors and Lucian's Bronzong. Mismagius and Honchkrow (and their prevos) are genuinely now valid options for Bronzor/Bronzong slaying as opposed to just Chimchar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)