Pokemon Legends - Arceus - 28th Jan 2022 *Official Content Only*

Fine, how did they get a recording camera in the 1800s?
especially one that's also portable

it's probably something to do with the ridiculous Arceus Phone if I had to hazard a guess.
Then it is a divine camera? why does the creator of the region keep giving electronics to humans? is this the actual origin of Rotom's forms? so many questions -:<

also

how did they learn to use it?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Why are we getting Pokémon revealed via Blair Witch Project parodies now this is crazy
Especially for a game set in the1800s the earliest. Maybe if the video was like a silent black & white film I'd be more willing to suspend my disbelief, but this is clearly being filmed on a VHS, has color (as we see with the Snorunt), and recording audio (and is a "mobile" device). Also we can see whatever the lens for this camera is it's as big as a hand so isn't the Arceus Phone (don't know why it would even be recording that way anyway).

EDIT: Shedinja'd by Rapti

You see, it's an obvious answer.
The answer is that it's a promo video and shouldn't be viewed as anything canonical. Just accept that it exists like we accept space explosions in sci fi.
While I'd normally agree, being they're REALLY pushing that this game takes place in the past it seems odd to release a promo video that could only exist in, what the early 1980s? Like, sure, the Pokemon world always had more advance technology, as Ironmage said, and I wouldn't argue if this was a silent black & white film or an audio recording, but it's not, it's a VHS-like tape.

Honestly one of my thoughts was Delcatty
Delcatty is kind of tall to be confused for a Vulpix or Growlithe.

Am I the only one intrugued more by the fact that the "footage" is basically a pokemon straight up murdering a person in official canon, rather than by the fact it's hinting at a new (or well... "old") Pokemon?
Also while there are no "pleasant" ways to die gotta say, dying in a cave in the cold to a cave in is real bad!

That man is dead!
But then how did this video get to Canalave Library? My guess the guy was simply knocked back and either fell unconscious or fled (and dropped the camera). Whether he woke up a bit later or came back to get the footage, it would explain why the footage is in bad shape if the film got damaged from being buried in the snow for a while.

Honestly even with the enhanced images I can't make out anything.
Yeah. I can't see anything, which on top of this footage feeling out of time also makes it pointless. It might as well have just been an audio recording because we see NOTHING. Why do this Blair Witch style video when nothing is visible for the "money shot" part? Feels like someone got an idea to do this viral marketing idea but didn't want to wait until Gen 9.

Well one thing is clear after watching this...
Maybe Laventon is the one doing the recording?

I feel like we're not giving "previous civilization had advanced tech compared to the current one" enough consideration. It's super common in scifi and fantasy, and it's confirmed to be true for at least Kalos.
The War sent Sinnoh back some years... to a dark age of desktops and analogue watches.

Or Hisui is actually future-Sinnoh.

In any case, the amount of reaching needed to justify the phone/camcorder/device says its inclusion is still pretty jarring. Just when we thought they were cleaning up the background lore, removing references to real animals and real places, we get clapped with a smorgasbord of time twisters.

I feel like we're not giving "previous civilization had advanced tech compared to the current one" enough consideration. It's super common in scifi and fantasy, and it's confirmed to be true for at least Kalos.
Also this game is taking MAJOR inspiration from BOTW and one of the main plot points of BOTW was that Hyrule's technological advancement drastically decreased between Calamity Ganon's two awakenings and eventually led to Calamity Ganon winning when he woke up the second time

I know the focus is on whatever kills(?) our dear videographer, but does anyone else find whoa...[unintelligible]...even though it's so cold here! very suspicious? Evidently a Pokemon we wouldn't expect in a cold environment, and something worth hiding.
Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be referring to the red-tailed white-maned yellow-eyed Pokemon that may or may not have murderous intent. He says it way before he goes to the place with a mysterious air. Very peculiar.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I know the focus is on whatever kills(?) our dear videographer, but does anyone else find whoa...[unintelligible]...even though it's so cold here! very suspicious? Evidently a Pokemon we wouldn't expect in a cold environment, and something worth hiding.
As captions in other language for the same trailer have shown, he was just talking abiut Snorunt's ability of being very energetic even in a really cold place:

"You see, Snorunt feed on snow and ice to survive. Look at those jumps, so energetic even though its so cold out here!"

After reading more and more theories, I definitely think it's a Hisuian Zorua and Zoroark

Not only does the description match Zorua except for a few things, which would make sense considering it's a regional variant, but it also makes sense for Zoroark to be hidden and sneaking around considering it's Illusion ability. The cave was dark, granted, but Zoroark's trickery could be another reason why he didn't see it until it was too late.

The way he describes the small, prevo creaturein an extremely cute way kinda contrasts with the more "beastly" nature of whatever attacks him, somewhat similar to Zorua's whole theme changing upon evolution to Zoroark

The real question is when (or if) they'll reveal it? Surely they're not gonna blue ball us like this until release.

Yeah, only easly recognizable fan favourite Pokémon like Basculin get regional formes, after all.
You know, the kind of Pokémon everyone remember.
It was the fish with a horn, right?
My message: thats why random Pokémon got random love (mentions Audino, Ampharos...).

Your conclusion after reading said message: sure, only fan favourites get regional formes.

Choose one.

Probably wil reveal them but this reminds me of the fact that Impidimp was never actually properly introduced so there is a possibility for the new mon to just go in the shadows lol
If I had to guess I think it could be revealed on Halloween or close to it. I mean the whole reason they did the found footage thing was to be spooky so it would make sense.

At the very least I think it'll be the small cute one they reveal. The murdering one might be saved for release

Yeah, only easly recognizable fan favourite Pokémon like Basculin get regional formes, after all.
You know, the kind of Pokémon everyone remember.
It was the fish with a horn, right?
My message: thats why random Pokémon got random love (mentions Audino, Ampharos...).

Your conclusion after reading said message: sure, only fan favourites get regional formes.

Choose one.
I like Basculin too, bossman, but our guy KaenSoul could not have laid the sarcasm on any thicker.

I like Basculin too, bossman, but our guy KaenSoul could not have laid the sarcasm on any thicker.
I think Im not supossed to point at the fact that KaenSouls sarcasm is based on the premise that not only fan favourites get attention, but also random mons like Basculin, and quoiting me and using then reverse meaning of his words is implying that ive said otherwise (thus the sarcasm), but the point is it makes no sense because in the first place my original post is not saying what that supossed sarcasm is trying to expose?

I think Im not supossed to point at the fact that KaenSouls sarcasm is based on the premise that not only fan favourites get attention, but also random mons like Basculin, and quoiting me and using then reverse meaning of his words is implying that ive said otherwise (thus the sarcasm), but the point is it makes no sense because in the first place my original post is not saying what that supossed sarcasm is trying to expose?
That's valid. However, even if the reply was redundant or missing the point, everyone seems to be on the same page: the regional treatment can strike anywhere. Icons like Lapras can receive nothing but a G-Max after umpteen years, and oddballs like Corsola can get a new lease on life out of left field.

Moving on with that said, I'd like to back up a step regarding the new mystery monster.

It's probably a new regional variant. It's probably going to be Zorua. It probably leads into such a thing as Hisuian Zoroark.

However, those are not the only possibilities. Folks have been reminding me about the 24-hour livestream, which I personally thought was a cool experience. It was our first look at Galarian Ponyta. However, it was also an early showcase of Impidimp. All the hype is probably building up to a furry face we've seen before, but I am still inclined to entertain the idea that our mystery monster is something... else. Perhaps an ambush predator that uses a doll or some other deception to entice prey? What if our researcher misinterpreted what he was seeing? Others have brought up Girafarig, but Mawile and Ariados also come to mind, and it may yet be something entirely new. It's a long shot, but it would explain the researcher's reactions without introducing a second attacker.

Another idea I've heard circling around is that our mystery monster is the missing link between the Growlithe and Vulpix families, which have historically been run as counterparts. Could it be a prevo? The last time we had one of those was... Bonsly, Munchlax, and Mime Jr., all in Sinnoh, right? Another long shot, but it bears mentioning that the two species the researcher mentioned are coincidentally related.

My biggest question is what if we're right. What if it is a regional variant of the classic Zorua? Will that mean we're given a regional Zoroark to boot, or will we get something unexpected in the vein of Perrserker? I have no expectation of seeing this answered soon, but it underscores how little we know of where this is taking us. TPC gave us a good, solid mystery to work with. Even if we're right about the one new species described in the footage, we can easily get blindsided by what happens next.

Okay so I know my last post itt was against crackpot theorizing but it's cool when I do it so let's go. 7:06/7:07 pm referring to Zorua/Zoroark's BW dex numbers? Wrong it's actually the amount of minutes as a national dex number - 426 for 7:06...that's Drifblim BUT our narrator corrects himself so it's actually 427/7:07...Buneary. It's sort of fluffy and certainly adorable, and rabbits are quadrupedal so an alt form being so would make sense. I've commissioned a professional artist to make a mock-up of what a theoretical Hisuian Buneary would look like according to the traits mentioned in the video:
bunno.png

:vulpix: I'm seeing double!!

I will also surmise that the Pokemon attacking our hapless adventurer at the end of the video isn't a theoretical Hisuian Lopunny, but simply another Buneary. Anger is a core tenant of Buneary's design; it's one of the only (maybe the only?) Pokemon that learns Frustration by level, and it starts with 0 happiness to boot. Hisuian Buneary is a Monty Python-style terror; the red on the tail is blood.

Are there numerous issues with this theory? Yes. Do I believe it with all my heart? Also yes.

Neither of these pokemon are random imo. Ampharos is probably the gen 2 icon, pretty popular, and the mareep line is one of the common cash cows of gen 2. Audino featured in the anime and actually had a decent fanbase in Japan.

You want to give me a good example of random pokemon getting love? Alolan exeggutor. This line has never had revelance in the 20 years of its existance, other than appearing in one or two psychic teams, which still isn't that big, had no merch, and I don't think even gen 1 fans cared much about the guy.

And then it got a regional form, a dragon type, and not only did it get featured a lot more often in places, it's probably remembered much more. Also helps alolan eggxecutor was very memeable due to its size.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)