Pokemon Presents - 26th Feb 2021

Is it weird to be so excited about this "Pokemon Present" eve of "Pokemon day" Knowing that we were very disappointed during the last communications?

And why not have announced tomorrow, the real day of the 25 years?

...Did anyone else's heart sink like a stone immediately after reading that the announcement would be a Pokemon Presents and not a Pokemon Direct?

Pokemon Presents announcements are not Directs for announcing main series games. They are hosted by TPC, not Nintendo. In fact, previously their Japanese titles have been "Pokemon Business Strategy Announcement" or "Pokemon New Development Announcement" (including both 2020 ones), and their previous English titles have all been "Pokemon Press Conference" except that 2020 had no live press cuz pandemic.

Approach this broadcast as if it had one of those 3 titles instead.

It's obvious that all of these are pretty much just code words ("business strategy" especially) for "Stuff that makes our investors happy", otherwise known as mobile games. We have never had a Business Strategy Announcement / New Development Announcement without announcing at least one mobile game. Conversely, we've had four without main series game announcements.

Let's count:
  • Go
  • Quest
  • Let's Go
  • Detective Pikachu sequel
  • Home
  • Sleep
  • Masters
  • Smile
  • Cafe Mix
  • New Snap
  • Unite
Out of 11 announcements, that's 8 mobile games, 2 non-mobile spin-offs (one of which has no footage, logo, or name), and 1 divisive "main series" game with close ties to a mobile game. I'm expecting more of the same, going as far as expecting no main series information whatsoever (except for filler like "don't forget the G-Max Pikachu raid currently happening"). If I'm wrong about this, I'll gladly eat my words.

Don't forget, new main series games always come out close to the Black Friday holiday season (including the physical Expansion Pass!) and only new generations have enough content to drip-feed over 9 months before. Remakes and co. have been announced 5-6 months before (conveniently lining up with E3) due to less new content to reveal. It's way too soon for a new generation, and regardless, any significant main series reveal including DLC would have been in a Direct.

Worst case scenario? Remember that the 2 New Development Announcements a week apart in 2020 occurred because 10¢ demands that its games never be revealed next to any other people's games. If this happens again, we're looking at 20 minutes of nothing but more Unite.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Second, the other big $$$ maker, Pokemon GO, is on track to catch up with the main series by when gen 9 would normally be expected. Niantic is already dragging out releases of new mons and padding spawns with costumed mons. DLC could allow GF to put out several waves of new Pokemon per generation, whose release could further tie in with GO.
That is something that has made me wondered. Once Niantic has all current Pokemon, what then do they do to keep the game fresh until a new release? Now with GF have experimented with releasing new Pokemon via DLC, the possibility of GF occasionally creating some new Pokemon possibly for one reason to give Pokemon GO some push would be interesting to see as it would be a direct effect of GO on the main series. Yes, we' ve had Meltan and Let's Go, but that feels more like a strategic decision to get GO players to get into the main series rather then the main series doing something to help GO. But once a game is launched GF don't technically need to create any new Pokemon aside it being a neat treat for fans. But with GO sort of needing to release new Pokemon to at least entice players to come back for a little bit, creating new Pokemon would be seen as an effort on GF's part to help GO.

Sweet mother of Arceus, that was a long post Pikachu315111

OK guys. Imagine this. It's almost the end of the Pokémon Presents. Junichi Masuda steps out. He looks into the camera and smiles. "Thank you for being patient." he says. "It is finally time for us to reveal the next mainline Pokémon game. I hope you are as excited as we are to return to this beloved region. Please take a look."

The screen goes black. There's total silence.

And then this pops up.

memeZ.jpg

How would you guys react?
"Huh, guessing the pandemic slowed production they're pulling out the game they almost finished but shelved just to have something to show"

I dont expect a pOkemon Z until its time to revist Kalos. I would have hoped Galar and Kalos would have some connection based on their source material, but alas.
I wouldn't even expect Pokemon Z for remakes either. Unless the remakes would be titled XZ and YZ, at most maybe they would have new content that you could maybe see were meant to be for another (set of) game(s) in Galar that never came to be (such as having Zygarde and its other forms playing a more active role).

...Did anyone else's heart sink like a stone immediately after reading that the announcement would be a Pokemon Presents and not a Pokemon Direct?
Could it be that they just decided to change the name from Direct to Presents? Have we had a Direct since having Presents, or have we had a mix of both before? From what I'm reading on Famitsu, our last Direct was the one that announced Sword and Shield, and after that we've had 3 Presents that announced DLC/PMD DX/Home, Snap/Smile, then Unite. Could just be a coincidence because there just hasn't been a main series game to announce since they decided to change the name (assuming that's what they did, anyway)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Could it be that they just decided to change the name from Direct to Presents? Have we had a Direct since having Presents, or have we had a mix of both before? From what I'm reading on Famitsu, our last Direct was the one that announced Sword and Shield, and after that we've had 3 Presents that announced DLC/PMD DX/Home, Snap/Smile, then Unite. Could just be a coincidence because there just hasn't been a main series game to announce since they decided to change the name (assuming that's what they did, anyway)
Or maybe someone/group (either at Nintendo or Pokemon Company, or both) decided "Directs" are specifically for Nintendo overall. "Pokemon Presents" doesn't come with that association so can be looked upon as its own thing. Meanwhile Nintendo Directs can include Pokemon stuff, so it could also be a way to easier remember what information came where. "Did that announcement come from the Nintendo Direct or Pokemon Direct?" vs "Did that announcement come from the Direct or the Presents?".

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
That is something that has made me wondered. Once Niantic has all current Pokemon, what then do they do to keep the game fresh until a new release?
Either:

1) Slow down the release of new Pokémon in an asymptotic fashion, so they never hit the same number of Pokémon as the main series.
and/or
2) They may run out of new Pokémon, but they will never run out of new hats.

Or maybe someone/group (either at Nintendo or Pokemon Company, or both) decided "Directs" are specifically for Nintendo overall. "Pokemon Presents" doesn't come with that association so can be looked upon as its own thing. Meanwhile Nintendo Directs can include Pokemon stuff, so it could also be a way to easier remember what information came where. "Did that announcement come from the Nintendo Direct or Pokemon Direct?" vs "Did that announcement come from the Direct or the Presents?".
Yeah that's kinda what I meant, that they just decided to do a whole name change rather than do Pokemon Directs and Pokemon Presents to differentiate between main series games and other stuff.

I guess the name change is mostly to make it clear that it's not necessarily content aimed at Nintendo hardware.

Wait what recently leaked gameplay

Kelios on Twitter has posted leaks from the Pokemon Presents including a short video. Not sure if I should say here what it is (if its allowed in this thread), but anyone interested can go see for themselves. I'm personally hyped, I'll just say that. I don't want to ruin the Presents for anyone who wants to go in without being spoiled. I mean, he could be wrong/have been fooled but he has been a very reliable leaker in the past.

EDIT: CentroLeaks has now also confirmed the information posted by Kelios. The leaks apparently originated with known Nintendo leaker PracticalBrush12 on reddit (same person who leaked the Nintendo Direct content last week)

Also, I'm pretty sure the major reason this is a Pokemon Presents and not a Direct is that Pokemon Unite will be shown. Since it is developed by Tencent, it cannot be shown in a Pokemon Direct.

Last edited:
Kelios on Twitter has posted leaks from the Pokemon Presents including a short video. Not sure if I should say here what it is (if its allowed in this thread), but anyone interested can go see for themselves. I'm personally hyped, I'll just say that. I don't want to ruin the Presents for anyone who wants to go in without being spoiled. I mean, he could be wrong/have been fooled but he has been a very reliable leaker in the past.

EDIT: CentroLeaks has now also confirmed the information posted by Kelios. The leaks apparently originated with known Nintendo leaker PracticalBrush12 on reddit (same person who leaked the Nintendo Direct content last week)

Also, I'm pretty sure the major reason this is a Pokemon Presents and not a Direct is that Pokemon Unite will be shown. Since it is developed by Tencent, it cannot be shown in a Pokemon Direct.
I just saw and

bruuh.png

So the leaks were quite correct about the style of Sinnoh remakes.

I'll say I am not a big fan of how they look though.

Like, both announced games make Sword and Shield look like high quality graphics :\

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)