Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

The way I see it is that it's more of a "Pokemonified" version of convergent evolution. They're unrelated species that evolved similar looking features due to occupying similar niches, but they also look almost exactly like each other, because it's funny. Can't say I disagree with that, Wiglett is precious.

The REAL mystery here is why they randomly revealed this unannounced and abruptly put up on only the Japanese website.

Last edited:
Would like if there were big biology books in game (is a damn school setting after all) that would go in detail on how Wigglet come to be, as they aren't just the regional Digglet as regular Digglet didn't have to adapt, maybe it is somehow related to Digglet but thousands of years of natural evolution made the two groups distinct enough to be different species, maybe they had a common ancestor similar to bears and canines, or if they come from two completely different branches with Wigglet being an actual fish and Digglet a mammal (or they Pokémon equivalent).
They could potentially use Egg Groups for this. Wigglet could be Water 2 with most of the other fish either instead of or in addition to Digglet's Field (land vertebrates) group.

or if they come from two completely different branches with Wigglet being an actual fish and Digglet a mammal (or they Pokémon equivalent).
This. I mentioned it before, but it's an example of Convergent Evolution which is how completely different species of animals end up with similar traits such as bodyplans due evolving for similar niches.
800px-Homology.jpg
Ichthyosaur_vs_dolphin.svg.png

I should add that Pokemon has the added benefit of being drawn and having artistic liberties, because remember...
050.png
529.png

These two are both suppose to be the same animal.
Edit: Reminded of the first "Diglett but with artistic liberties" from Pokemon Pocket Monster.
475px-Red_unnamed_Bug_Pokémon_PM.png

Last edited:

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
They could potentially use Egg Groups for this. Wigglet could be Water 2 with most of the other fish either instead of or in addition to Digglet's Field (land vertebrates) group.
That reminds me we need differentiation of the Water groups. Maybe "Amphibious" for 1, "Aquatic" or "Ocean" for 2, and uhhhh "Cove" for 3? It doesn't match up perfectly but neither does anything else with egg groups.

This. I mentioned it before, but it's an example of Convergent Evolution which is how completely different species of animals end up with similar traits such as bodyplans due evolving for similar niches.
View attachment 455536View attachment 455537
I should add that Pokemon has the added benefit of being drawn and having artistic liberties, because remember...
View attachment 455538View attachment 455539
These two are both suppose to be the same animal.
Edit: Reminded of the first "Diglett but with artistic liberties from Pokemon Pocket Monster.
View attachment 455540
looking at the real life examples this feels like every winged pokemon is already displaying convergent evolution

this feels a bit...overly literal, in comparison

Well not quite, they're doing something on a pokemon special site, just it's in Japanese and I can't for my own good figure how to open the stuff in it..
https://wpes.pokemon.co.jp/ja/

GDI, it's year 2022 and they STILL haven't understood how to make shit intelligible for non-japanese people :|
There are actually versions of this part of the site on the Chinese and Korean SV sites too.

It was a good run, Pokemon, but your designs have mostly been absolute garbage since gen 7.

Regional variants started off as a nice concept but it just made them lazy with designs, to the point that they're not even trying anymore. "Just make a longer Diglett, they'll eat that crap up anyway."
Durísimas declaraciones.

Looking through the list of returning Pokémon, I feel pretty confident that there’s an effort to include all the new Pokémon/forms from PLA in these games so that they can get in an appearance in a “traditional” game with Abilities and such — the only families of that sort that have yet to be confirmed are Rufflet, Bergmite, Voltorb, Stantler, and Qwilfish, whose likeness has at least been depicted in a background detail. (I’m not counting the Hisuian Starters and Legendaries since they have almost no hope of being the the regional Dex to begin with, but maybe they’ll be included as unlisted HOME transfers or, perhaps, as save data bonuses for BDSP/PLA?)

Now, of course, it would not be beyond the whims of Game Freak to arbitrarily leave out a member or members of a clearly cohesive group, but I’ve got hope!

Did anyone find a reason why Galarian Mr. Mime is icy and into tap dancing?
Well, I suppose once you’ve established that “moving to an icy area” is sufficient to induce a regional form change, you don’t necessarily need to respecify that as the cause every subsequent time, and can just leave it up to implication. But I wish they did dive as much into the lore/worldbuilding of all regional forms as much as they do for the ones that get listed on the official site. Or as much as they did, anyway — Paldean Wooper’s bio is kind of sparce.

I’m still a little disappointed that the Alolan Geodude line never got a sizable site blurb like the rest of the Alolan forms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)