Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

With all the vagueness of HOME and the move transfers, I choose to be pessimistic and interpret it as there not being any mixing of transfer moves between the Switch games. However this still leads to some different ways gamefreak can handle this depending on the interpretation of what learning a move entails, and if you can learn a move across games that you technically wouldn't have access to in one game alone. Here are some mysterious scenarios I propose. What answers do you think would happen?

1: Does Breloom learn Spore?

2: Can Hisuian Decidueye learn Astonish?

3: Can a non-hatched SV Pikachu learn Volt Tackle?
I have some updates to these minor mysteries now that I have access to HOME:

1: Breloom does not learn Spore. I haven't seen for myself, but it seems that the general consensus is that Breloom cannot carry Spore over from BDSP or any other game into SV. This also probably extends to 2: Decidueye and Astonish in the same way as being a move not listed in the actual learnset.

3: Despite the prior results, Pikachu does learn Volt Tackle! I transferred over a PLA native Raichu who was taught Volt Tackle and it kept it, so despite not being an egg move for the purposes of Mirror Herb, it is still recognized as part of Pikachu's learnset for the purposes of Home's memory and can be easily taught in PLA to any Pikachu family member.
1685497584843.png
1685497593285.png

I also taught Volt Tackle to the Flying Pikachu event and it worked the same way, so the combination of Fly and Volt Tackle is another moveset that's legalized now. The Unrivaled Pikachu can also gain Volt Tackle with no problem now.
1685497871333.png
1685497611081.png

1685497631868.png
1685497722731.png

It might be able to be worked around though? What if you have Dartrix learn Astonish in SV or transfer it to SV as a Dartrix with Astonish, so the SV moveset says to knows Astonish, then transfer it to PLA and evolve it?
Yeah that's probably how it would work. I guess my point was more so that it ends up in the same boat as Breloom anyway in that you can't get it if you're already evolved and don't have it, but if you're the preevolution then you still have means to keep the move whether by having it bred down and saved to relearn moves or being in your current moveset, like if you were to take a SV Spore Shroomish and evolve it into BDSP for whatever reason.

I guess Hisuian Decidueye doesn't even learn Astonish in PLA though, so you wouldn't really get the same Breloom situation of not being able to keep the move that you only had coming from another game.

Yeah that's probably how it would work. I guess my point was more so that it ends up in the same boat as Breloom anyway in that you can't get it if you're already evolved and don't have it, but if you're the preevolution then you still have means to keep the move whether by having it bred down and saved to relearn moves or being in your current moveset, like if you were to take a SV Spore Shroomish and evolve it into BDSP for whatever reason.

I guess Hisuian Decidueye doesn't even learn Astonish in PLA though, so you wouldn't really get the same Breloom situation of not being able to keep the move that you only had coming from another game.
Breed 2 Brelooms to get a Shroomish with Spore at Lv1 and you can literally evolve it at Lv23 and have Spore saved across all games - that's the only way to save it. It won't work this way.

You can't have it in its current moveset as a Breloom or it's just gone. 9/11 moment for anyone who have a shiny Breloom.

Last edited:
Well cross checking with SWSH's Post-Home Series, I guess it kind of makes sense. That one let you bring in all the regional forms aside from the 3 who couldn't get the mark and the musketeers weren't allowed also because of the lack of the mark.

Since Home resets movesets I guess there's no real need for the battle ready mark anymore, and I guess they figured that's "good enough" for letting them all into VGC. Which is...fine, I guess, but feels a little more egregious in SV since this allows [checks notes] over half of all sub-legends in the series all at once all of which are transfer exclusive.

Still, a bit surprising Walking Wake and Iron Leaves are still banned, despite having BST of Roaring Moon and Iron Valliant.
I think they're banned since they're basically just "preview" Pokemon for the DLC. They don't even have proper dex entries.
& also were only available during two 2 week periods. The other legends might be locked to transfers, but the games are still available and you can hypothetically get as many as you want.

Presumably they'll be available when they come out in the DLC.

Today I decided to get the auctions for most of the legendary items over with. After noticing a few different price variations, I felt like I was getting ripped off and went to check how this all worked. According to serebii/Anubis's auction pages, the special items all start with a base cost of $500 and have a minimum buyable price of $4000. However, there is a different budget multiplier for each of the NPCs that will allow them to bid at higher amounts. The older NPCs with a 1.8x budget will only give up after $7200/when you bid $7500, meaning you could save about $3000 each time by withdrawing from these auctions whenever they show up to avoid getting scammed since they immediately respawn anyway.

My main strategy ended up to aim for an ideal of $4500 each time to outbid the other NPCs. The 1.2x NPCs will lose if you bet $4500 because they don't want to go above $4800 with their bet, though sometimes they will end up putting $4500 down themselves which may make you spend $5000 instead. The best case scenario is if you get 2 NPCs with 1 or 1.1x to win with $4000, especially since the 1x NPCs only ever up the price by $500. Sometimes you can still play around the other NPCs randomly bidding higher, like I had a fast round where I started with $1000 and the 2 other NPCs went for the high $1500 bids so I could end it at $4500. Overall I thought this was a nice way to figure out the auction mechanics with consistent prices and easy replayability, though the real strategy ends up revolving around gaming the NPCs themselves to reach a threshold rather than the act of outbidding opponents.

1685928209198.png
1685928221086.png

(Defeating the 1.2x and 1.1x NPCs at minimum price.)

Last edited:

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just curious, have Nintendo/TPC stated anywhere that WW/IL are Legendary (or do they have some internal marker)? Was browsing the Legendary page on Bulbapedia and noticed they weren’t listed there. Would just be surprising to me considering their basis. Wouldn’t set a precedent either considering Koraidon/Miraidon are counted as Legendary despite being Paradoxes (and even Paradoxes of a non-legendary Pokemon).

Just curious, have Nintendo/TPC stated anywhere that WW/IL are Legendary (or do they have some internal marker)? Was browsing the Legendary page on Bulbapedia and noticed they weren’t listed there. Would just be surprising to me considering their basis. Wouldn’t set a precedent either considering Koraidon/Miraidon are counted as Legendary despite being Paradoxes (and even Paradoxes of a non-legendary Pokemon).
They aren't legendary internally, no.

There's about 15 hours left on this VGC Bronzong distribution with code 22SEN10RCHAMP. It comes with a free Leftovers.
Something noteworthy about the last such VGC distribution with Palafin is that it had Wave Crash at Level 50 which Palafin can't normally have otherwise.

1686440530340.png

On a different note, a while ago I noticed this placeholder Pikachu that shows up in the raid lookup when loading event data when there's no current event going on, and I found a reddit post about someone who actually got this Pikachu with the same moves and all back in the 1.0.1 days between the Eevee and Charizard events.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonScarletViolet/comments/z8shka https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonScarletViolet/comments/z8shka/_/iyczuaf

There's a VGC Gastrodon distribution now, also with a free Leftovers.
Technically part of this question can also apply to egg moves, but those can probably be Mirror Herbed so I guess that does imply that prevolution learnsets are still canon to evolutions that you can't evolve into.
Another update to this HOME mystery is that Hisuian Decidueye cannot learn Roost via the HOME relearner, despite being a level-up move in PLA and an egg move in SV that seems to fit all the criteria for move transfers.
1687103291015.png

According to the HOME move dumps posted in the battle mechanics thread, this is because Hisuian Decidueye is not listed to have any of Rowlet's egg moves in its HOME-SV movepool, and in general it seems gamefreak didn't count the Hisuian evolutions as having access to SV egg moves even though they branch off the same mon. Despite this fact, you can still Mirror Herb egg moves like Roost onto Hisuian Decidueye within SV anyway, so it feels like more of an error on HOME's side.
1687103375888.png

Also in the process of raising the PLA gifts, I found out that SV does not display the 7th digit of EXP when using EXP candies.
1687103430564.png

They've announced an upcoming update for...move descriptions.

Dire Claw, Stone Axe & Ceaseless Edge all mention having a higher crit ratio ("aiming to land a critical hit") but don't do that. This will be fixed in a future update "when's the update" just you know. The future. Eventually.

I was legitimately stunned to see the new trailer in the direct
Like I was going to post about the direct here yesterday but from how the past couple years went I just figured we'd get a Pokemon direct later this month or next month.

It was cool to see the environments involved. Was a little surprised they didn't show a new pokemon or form

Official site has updated with a bit of new info. Most interesting is this:

The Toxic Chain Ability

Okidogi, Munkidori, and Fezandipiti’s Toxic Chain is a new Ability being introduced in the DLC for Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet. When one of these three Pokémon hits an opponent with a move, the power of the toxic chain all three Pokémon have may cause the opponent to become badly poisoned.

The website has updated with little information, most notably they reveal that the new Pokémon (dog, bear, bird) get a new ability that is an enhanced Poison Touch (attacks may badly poison target). This suggests the three of them share the Poison type.

https://scarletviolet.pokemon.com/en-us/news/dlc_pokemon/

Excited about the terrarium. Also both new locations show non-Paldean Pokémon in the wild so I’m wondering whether this imply we can breed/evolve regional evolutions in there. It could be a solution for people with PLA if the terrarium simulates the distant past, allowing things like Stantler/Ursaring to evolve.

So is it just me or do these 2 areas look better than most of Paldea does, visually. Ignoring framerate stuff since obviously that's going to be better in most trailers.

Like it's still not breaking the bank, but as someone who has been running around paldea for many hours things like the roads and buildings just look....nicer?
I remember feeling similarly about SWSH's DLC areas; still janky but seemed a step up.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool to finally see in-game footage of the DLC areas. Really love and enjoy SV in spite of its faults, can't wait to explore Kitakami and the Blueberry Academy's wildlife.

Also more Double Battles and tutor moves/TMs? Hell yeah let's fucking go!

Really excited for this new DLC and individually it's looking even better than SwSh's DLC (which redeemed that incredibly underwhelming experience for me) and combined with SV itself this will be great! SV is already one of my favorite Pokemon games and this may push it up even higher for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)