Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
A forum will happen soon - it doesn't matter how credible stuff is right now. This is for official information only.

That's it. It's been like this for a long time now. I don't get why people are so butthurt this time - it's literally how it's been for a number of releases. I went back and checked a bunch of them and it's been like this since at least XY.

Hell I'll throw it in the topic name too!

View attachment 452197
these two match almost too well! I doubt this is in the game, but it would be so much cooler than calyrex as a rider
I'm definitely expecting SOME sort of connection between the version-specific knights and the version-specific horse legendaries. Maybe nothing mechanical, or just a reference to them riding Cyclizar now because the legends aren't around anymore, but some sort of link feels very obvious.
I kinda doubt Klawf will get Shell Smash. It’s mostly limited to Pokemon with big external shells, not those with shells as carapaces.
I'm betting no just because of power reasons. Being guaranteed to get to +3 in all offenses in one turn with a focus sash seems like something GF would be paranoid about. Even +1/+1/+3 via Automize/Rock Polish is probably going to concern them.

I'm betting no just because of power reasons. Being guaranteed to get to +3 in all offenses in one turn with a focus sash seems like something GF would be paranoid about. Even +1/+1/+3 via Automize/Rock Polish is probably going to concern them.
Well tbh that also depends on its actual stats.

Simple exists after all, and it's usually counterbalanced by the fact Simple pokemon tend to have low BST.

A forum will happen soon - it doesn't matter how credible stuff is right now. This is for official information only.

That's it. It's been like this for a long time now. I don't get why people are so butthurt this time - it's literally how it's been for a number of releases. I went back and checked a bunch of them and it's been like this since at least XY.

Hell I'll throw it in the topic name too!
I feel like I have recollections of discussing leaks during the XY & SM era here, in their pre-release threads. I think I was modding during at least one of those?

certainly remember lengthy arguments about pokejungle, at least.

Counterpoint
:ss/Rayquaza Mega: :ss/Dracovish: :ss/Zacian-Crowned: :ss/Darmanitan-Galar: :ss/Calyrex-Shadow: :ss/Marshadow:
:ss/Shaymin-Sky:
(and at the time when there was a 120 BP Grass move that had a 40% chance to give -2 SpD and was given to a Serene Grace Pokemon who also gets STAB Air Slash)

Counterpoint
:ss/Rayquaza Mega: :ss/Dracovish: :ss/Zacian-Crowned: :ss/Darmanitan-Galar: :ss/Calyrex-Shadow: :ss/Marshadow:
:ss/Shaymin-Sky:
(and at the time when there was a 120 BP Grass move that had a 40% chance to give -2 SpD and was given to a Serene Grace Pokemon who also gets STAB Air Slash)
Did I imply GF was good at balancing, because that was not my intent. There's ways to balance an ability like "Free +1 to offensive stats at half HP". But what I expect is for it to get no boosting moves and have a speed stat of "turtle". GF is consistently paranoid about the wrong things, and that's what I'm planning for here.

Did I imply GF was good at balancing, because that was not my intent. There's ways to balance an ability like "Free +1 to offensive stats at half HP". But what I expect is for it to get no boosting moves and have a speed stat of "turtle". GF is consistently paranoid about the wrong things, and that's what I'm planning for here.
So what exactly is implied with “I do not believe GameFreak would give Shell Smash or even Rock Polish to Klawf”?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Flareon should have its Flare Blitz rights revoked on the account of it being Satan of Pokemon, as well as its other crimes like conspiring with the Dome Fossil, being a Discord Mod, and being the Eeveelution with the least inspired design. Literally just Eevee but “it gets bigger” and is cheeto colored.
Really, Twitch Plays Pokemon memes, in the year of our Almighty Sinnoh 2022?

I think Oricorio is hilarious in this game specifically because of how Revelation Dance will interact with Terastal
I guess it'll depend if Terastal actually changes the Pokemon's Type according to the coding or if it just switches the Pokemon's presented Type to a separately stored Tera Type variable while it's normal Typing remains unaffected just inactive. If the former, yeah, Revelation Dance will change Type to match the Tera Type. But if the latter, and they don't program Revelation Dance to take into account the Tera Type variable, it may very well still use the primary Type of the form that its in.

I think the new fire/ghost and fire/psychic pokemon likely evolve from a pure fire type depending on the game version (like Applin) or they are both single stage, which makes it really unlikely for them to reach higher than 500 BST.
Like, if you get it from evolving a shared prevo like you do with Applin, I feel maybe they would have mentioned it? I have a feeling that Armarouge and Ceruledge are standalones. And since everyone is throwing around BSTs, here's mine (and I'm gonna use a 500 BST limit): Armarouge is 100/50/100/100/100/50, Ceruledge is 75/100/75/75/75/100. Bit of extreme examples, but they get across what I generally think there stats will focus on.

Hey, how about I get to posting my actual thoughts. Though its kind of late so for now I'll just be posting my thoughts on the new Pokemon:

Klawf:

• Another hairy land crab. If I had a Nickel for every one of those I'd have two Nickels, which isn't a lot but strange it happened twice. Especially since all "hairy" crabs I know are aquatic. Several sources such as Bulbapedia and Lockstin have mentioned a few so take your pick. Anyway I think it looks fine, nothing special but can't really find anything wrong with it either. If it were to have another stage I would like to see it be an evolution as I feel they could do a little more with the idea with a Rock-type crab that looks like a moving cliff.

• One bit of additional info on it is that it holds the opponent with one claw and hits them with the other, giving me the funny mental image of it holding an opponent like a nail and using the other claw to nail it down into the ground, lol. Also it joins Slowpoke in Pokemon that are okay to eat, aka they have body parts that fall off but they'll grow back so alright to cook. Though, being a Rock-type, not sure how delicious its claws/legs will be, suppose you'll get your dosing of minerals.

• It's known as the "Ambush Pokemon" so makes me curious if it may be getting a few sneaky moves like Fake Out, Sucker Punch & First Impression.

• Pure Rock, and its a crab. Hey GF, when are we getting that Rock-type Slash? Like, sure, it'll be fine with the usual Rock Slide & Stone Edge, but I imagine Physical Rock-types would like a little more variety.

• Didn't think Shell Smash would be one of the Moves up to being made into an Ability/Item! Anger Shell is a pretty sick Ability, I agree with those who don't think it'll get Shell Smash so this is the next best thing. It's sort of like Minior's Shield Down except with actual stat changes instead of two forms with different stats. Actually GF, I change my mind with the Rock-type Slash, make a Rock-type Power Trip instead.

Armarouge & Ceruledge:

• Might as well talk about both of these at the same time since they're an obvious pair and version exclusives. I like them, they both look very cool (ha ha, I said "cool" when they're Fire-types, now that I addressed it you don't have to so let's move on). I'm more leaning toward Ceruledge (which is good as I'm getting Violet, though maybe that's bias talking), though I can't argue with Armarouge's style of blasting away opponents with a two arm mega buster via combining its pauldrons.

• The fact that people thought these were Legendary Pokemon I think helps illustrate how different these Pokemon designs look compared to other com mons. They're very fancy looking, a lot of details went into designing them more than your average Pokemon. Yet, they're normal Pokemon. Another thing I'm also noticing is many guessing they'll have a shared prevo and each version will have a way to evolve it into its exclusive evo akin to Applin. But I'm getting this feeling that maybe these two are more akin to how Hitmonchan & Hitmonlee were originally or Sawk & Throh are; they share similar aesthetics but are distinctly different from one another (with many purposefully done opposing traits). Armarouge is a masculine, armor-wearing defensive Pokemon which acts chivalrously and prefers fighting with Special attacks from its arm cannon. Ceruledge is a feminine, dual sword-wielding offense Pokemon which fights mercilessly and prefers getting up-close with Physical attacks using its swords. Infact it's them having seemingly applied genders that makes me think they don't have prevos.

• Types are interesting for different reasons. You look at Armarouge and think "yup, that sure is a Fire/Fighting", but its Fire/Psychic; though part of me wonders if they originally wanted to go Fire/Fighting as it gets its Psychic-type via energy it receives from its armor which was worn by a distinguished warrior (hence why it acts chivalrous). Ceruledge meanwhile is a Fire/Ghost... a Fire/Ghost who is a Physical Attacker. And while it has Shadow Claw for Physical Ghost, if it wasn't for its Signature Move it wouldn't have any great option for Physical Fire. This is an odd tangent to split into, but Magcargo brought up how they look like they were designed for SwSh and discussing the Type issues makes me wonder if that was possibly the case; Armarouge was a Fire/Fighting defensive mon for Shield while Ceruledge was a Fire/Fairy offense mon for Sword, matching the Hero Wolf of their version. But, bringing them over to SV, they decided to rework them (including giving Armarouge a more antique look while futuring-up Ceruledge).

• Flash Fire I get as an Ability they get, but that's it? Not even Flame Body? Or giving Armarouge something like Battle Armor and the parallel Sniper Ability to Ceruledge? Alright.

• As mentioned by others, Armarouge's Sig Move "Arm Cannon" is a Special Fire-type Close Combat and Ceruledge's Sig Move "Bitter Blade" is Fire-type Drain Punch/Leech Life. Once again maybe showing my bias, but I always preferred the healing move to the crippling big attack move, but they both sounds cool.

Tomorrow I'll go into the other stuff mentioned (and maybe a closer look at the trailer). I definitely have something to say about the new Characters they showed, including something notable about Team Star which I noticed.

I feel like I have recollections of discussing leaks during the XY & SM era here, in their pre-release threads. I think I was modding during at least one of those?

certainly remember lengthy arguments about pokejungle, at least.
Oh there was tons of debates on these forums on whether the Sun/Moon starter leaks were accurate lmao. I actually have gone back and browsed legacy posts on the topic because it’s really funny to see people’s takes on it knowing now that they were completely legit.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Full disclosure here: It's completely possible the following is just a mix of overhype and the lateness of the night over here, on the other hand it's something I've been thinking of for a while now

Kids these days... They're really blessed, huh? Like, just look at the scope and wonder of Paldea. The details of the interiors, all the Pokemon running around in every nook and cranny and filling the world with life. The 4th image in the middle of the protagonist hiding from the rain with their Scyther, or running around the bustling cities with their full parties being able to see the sights with them. Switch youngsters won't have to dream of these scenarios after putting away their DSes like we did. They won't have to speculate further about those ideas on message boards and forums as a distant fable limited to fan mockups, either. It's an actual game they'll get on their birthday or Christmas to play with their friends. It's tangible memories they'll be able to carry with them as they grow up.

I'm almost jealous, frankly.

It's funny how there's an absurd debate around the Internet as to what Geeta is, if shes indian, if shes etc etc, lots of people trying, as if it mattered, to associate a fictional character with their birth place to feel... represented? Idk, and the truth is that Geeta is like the typical, tall, darkish, long and dark haired girl you'll find in all of south spain lol

Something I was thinking might be fun to try and do is build 3 different in-game teams for the 3 stories. Even with SwSh making swapping out party members a lot more convenient, I didn't care for having a big rotating roster because I like having a progression towards a well-defined end-game team of 6.

But, if each of the three stories is comparable in size (a very optimistic assumption...), then having dedicated progression of mons for each story could be a fun way for me to use more mons and still have some well-defined separate teams. This would also make it possible to use Feucoco3, Ceruledge, and Armarouge all in the same playthrough, and maybe even all 3 starters (requiring some trading, of course).

If there's some final convergence of the three stories, then I guess I could mix all three teams together for the final endgame team.

It remains to be seen how separate the stories are---there will probably be lots of times where you're basically just out exploring or whatever and not progressing anything definitive---but hopefully there is a quest system like in PLA that makes it clearer which story you're actively trying to progress, so I know which team I want to be using at a given moment.

If it doesn't end up working out well, I may just end up with a single final team of 6, but it sounds fun to try out and use a lot more mons than I normally use in a playthrough.

Making 3 different teams is a neat idea but I dunno how well it'll really work in practice. The Titans in particular just seem to be bosses that you have to seek out while you explore, so marking a clear point between "the titan team" and the "gym team" feels more like just pulling in different members the ? times you encounter them and go "oh, oops" and the titan team would probably need dedicated secondary grinding since you're not running them through the other content.

Meanwhile the way the Stars seem to be spread on the map (I think they're somewhere in the vicinity of where all the Flags are) you might be going through a drought for them (or maybe you'll burn through them really quick? kind of weird to gauge)

A lot of places ban discussion of leaks for legal reasons, right?
Specifically for take downs.
It is not inherently illegal to post leaks, but leaks can piss off publishers who are mad about their products being leaked, which could potentially hurt sales. People browsing will also not want the game to be leaked to them too, so sharing leaks in a thread about official info can be considered inconsiderate.

Specifically for take downs.
It is not inherently illegal to post leaks, but leaks can piss off publishers who are mad about their products being leaked, which could potentially hurt sales. People browsing will also not want the game to be leaked to them too, so sharing leaks in a thread about official info can be considered inconsiderate.
Incidentally while Serebii never posts leaks anymore his forum does still have dedicated leak thread

Incidentally while Serebii never posts leaks anymore his forum does still have dedicated leak thread
I was working for his site during 5th gen when he was posting leaks on the front page. Nintendo sent him a cease and desist letter threatening legal action if he didn't comply. It scared him so much he disabled pretty much all images on his website until BW was released.

That said what Serebii was doing is a far cry from a tiny sub-forum talking about unconfirmed leaks posted on Reddit.

I was working for his site during 5th gen when he was posting leaks on the front page. Nintendo sent him a cease and desist letter threatening legal action if he didn't comply. It scared him so much he disabled pretty much all images on his website until BW was released.

That said what Serebii was doing is a far cry from a tiny sub-forum talking about unconfirmed leaks posted on Reddit.
Yeah that whole mess (and made funnier by him clearly playing a rom lol) is why it stuck out to me that even with that fear he...still allows the leak thread.

Something I was thinking might be fun to try and do is build 3 different in-game teams for the 3 stories. Even with SwSh making swapping out party members a lot more convenient, I didn't care for having a big rotating roster because I like having a progression towards a well-defined end-game team of 6.
Apparently the two routes you don’t choose get integrated into the postgame story which I REALLY HOPE gets confirmed before the release date because at this point I have no clue what route I’ll pick lol.

Hi, longtime lurker here.

It's funny how there's an absurd debate around the Internet as to what Geeta is, if shes indian, if shes etc etc, lots of people trying, as if it mattered, to associate a fictional character with their birth place to feel... represented? Idk, and the truth is that Geeta is like the typical, tall, darkish, long and dark haired girl you'll find in all of south spain lol
I understand your point. As a south asian--and just speaking for myself--there were times I could see my skin tone represented in characters like Iris, Hop, Leon, Nessa, Rose, Peony, etc. Are any of these characters meant to be south asian specifically? Maybe, but most likely not. As fictional characters, they are likely not meant to officially correspond to any actual ethnic group, whether they be light skinned or dark skinned, this hair color or that hair color.

But every fictional character's design does draw from real populations and people. In some way ethnicity does factor into character design choices. To see names like "Lance", "Steven", and "Cynthia", or maybe more broadly anglicized names and light skinned designs, as "normal", or rather presented without question for generations of Pokémon, and then to see the dark-skinned Iris and Leon and the possibly Indian-origin name "Geeta", I can't help but see a part of my identity and a group of people I identify with represented, especially since pop culture (I'm about to make a claim here with practically no evidence) doesn't often represent south asians (in itself a massively diverse group constituting 25% of the world's population) via fictional character designs. Does Geeta make every south asian feel represented? No, no individual character can do that for everyone. But the choice of naming her "Geeta" stands out to me and I cannot help but wonder its derivation or why she was designed the way she was. It's 100% possible that her physical appearance is primarily inspired by southern spain while also having such a name, whether it's from the same area or not. That should be ok with fictional characters. One purpose of character design is to better include the audience, and I think to many who are engaged in this debate, they feel represented at least in some small way by Geeta.

So I can get why people have the debate. I don't think it's a debate that will result in a canonical answer because it is just everyone on the internet throwing their opinion around after all, but I don't think it's absurd either. I can see why the debate can matter to some people, myself being from a group underrepresented in fiction (and maybe you're from one too). My personal hope is that Pokémon continues in this direction to design characters inspired from more parts of the globe. Even if that won't be the case, I'll still always be happy to play the games.

Hi, longtime lurker here.

I understand your point. As a south asian--and just speaking for myself--there were times I could see my skin tone represented in characters like Iris, Hop, Leon, Nessa, Rose, Peony, etc. Are any of these characters meant to be south asian specifically? Maybe, but most likely not. As fictional characters, they are likely not meant to officially correspond to any actual ethnic group, whether they be light skinned or dark skinned, this hair color or that hair color.

But every fictional character's design does draw from real populations and people. In some way ethnicity does factor into character design choices. To see names like "Lance", "Steven", and "Cynthia", or maybe more broadly anglicized names and light skinned designs, as "normal", or rather presented without question for generations of Pokémon, and then to see the dark-skinned Iris and Leon and the possibly Indian-origin name "Geeta", I can't help but see a part of my identity and a group of people I identify with represented, especially since pop culture (I'm about to make a claim here with practically no evidence) doesn't often represent south asians (in itself a massively diverse group constituting 25% of the world's population) via fictional character designs. Does Geeta make every south asian feel represented? No, no individual character can do that for everyone. But the choice of naming her "Geeta" stands out to me and I cannot help but wonder its derivation or why she was designed the way she was. It's 100% possible that her physical appearance is primarily inspired by southern spain while also having such a name, whether it's from the same area or not. That should be ok with fictional characters. One purpose of character design is to better include the audience, and I think to many who are engaged in this debate, they feel represented at least in some small way by Geeta.

So I can get why people have the debate. I don't think it's a debate that will result in a canonical answer because it is just everyone on the internet throwing their opinion around after all, but I don't think it's absurd either. I can see why the debate can matter to some people, myself being from a group underrepresented in fiction (and maybe you're from one too). My personal hope is that Pokémon continues in this direction to design characters inspired from more parts of the globe. Even if that won't be the case, I'll still always be happy to play the games.
While Geeta is her name in english, her japanese name has nothing to do, nor does it have any resemblance to any ethnic group. What is more, her spanish name, Ságita, is not even a made up name, but an actual word used in geometry and it also means arrow. Now regarding ethimologics, this isn't the first time some localization team has done whatever they want with seemingly intrascendent matters. For example, in one of the Xenoblades (Xenoblade 3), there's a character that has no defined genre. It isn't stated as male or female, not because said character is something else; no. It just isn't stated, that's all. The english localization team took that as an opporunity to make propaganda, purposefully utilized a "non binary actor", used the pronoum they, etcetera. This didnt happen in the spanish or japanese versions of the game (dont know about other languages).

Now, now, now. I'm old enough to have long time memories of how this world was decades ago. I remember a time when completely adult people would never, ever, not even in the deepest of imaginations or scenarios, talk about pronoums, genres or representation. It just wasn't a topic the world cared about. No. That's wrong. For the world to not care about, every single person had to know about it being a topic in the first place, then deliberately choose to ignore it. I'll reformule it: this kind of topics weren't even in the collective conciousness of society, because, in the end, no one cared about. They -we- cared about other topics, topics long forgotten, like this one will be over with when the time comes.

But this is not the place to talk about all of this. What I'd like to get at, is the "representation" point. You see, every single individual is different. We strive for different objectives and experiment satisfaction with different causes. I've never been interested in representation. This is becaus I've always been unable to emphatize with fictional characters based on the procedence or origins. I don't truly care about the character in terms of what their appearance is like. To take Iris as an example, as you mentionted it. I'm pretty sure when some people saw Iris for the first time, they inmediatly were concious of the fact that iris was black. It's irrelevant whatever they thought about it, if some of them liked it or not. I'm talking about the very fact of noticing it. I didn't. I'm so absolutely blind about this fact, and my interest on it is so genuinely low, that unless someone else makes me aware of it, i won't notice at all. To me, a character being indian, black, blue, an animal, a person, a concept, is so irrelevant, that it would be the same as someone randomly saying "ey, my name is Antonio and i like the blue color". Ok...?

I fully respect whoever feel something about characters based on their origins, specifically to whoever feel something like gratitude because of the representation. To me characters are characters and their value is purely based on what they have to offer in terms of writting. Every single time i've been identified with a fictional character, or i felt represented by one, was because their stories, their thinking or something about them reminded me of my own vital experiences. Its natural to get attached to a character that is undergoing drepresion, for example, when you've had experiences with it. But regarding the character procedence, if it is indian, spanish, english, orange, a cartoon or an actor. I don't truly care.

But to each their own, of course.

i just think it's neat when people see themselves represented and are happy about it

i'm white so i am spoiled for choice in gaming to the point where it will never matter, but it was cool to see like desi people be excited that Hop & Leon (the champion!) were possibly inspired by their ethnicity, or could at least be read as such.

Now regarding ethimologics, this isn't the first time some localization team has done whatever they want with seemingly intrascendent matters. For example, in one of the Xenoblades (Xenoblade 3), there's a character that has no defined genre. It isn't stated as male or female, not because said character is something else; no. It just isn't stated, that's all. The english localization team took that as an opporunity to make propaganda, purposefully utilized a "non binary actor", used the pronoum they, etcetera. This didnt happen in the spanish or japanese versions of the game (dont know about other languages).
Juniper, the character in question, is labeled as 2 in the game's data while male and female characters are labels as 0 and 1 respectively and is also referred to in neutral terms in most languages that have gender neutral pronouns and structuring, such as the Japanese version.
In the original Japanese version and in the game's code, Juniper is said to be non-binary. And while the English, German, and Korean versions follow suit, the French and Spanish versions refer to them with explicitly feminine terms and pronouns. However, this is downplayed, as those versions still only use the English or Japanese audio (meaning that characters still audibly refer to Juniper as nonbinary regardless) and it's also partly a consequence of those two languages using binary gendered pronouns almost exclusively (even for inanimate objects).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)