Format Discussion Pokemon Sun/Moon Random Battle sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

A

Joker fan
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
(wouldnt sub be better if one's overly concerned about delphox dying to sucker?)

I think it's fine to just keep the consistent boosting options over not too fantastic gimmicky z-status stuff

(wouldnt sub be better if one's overly concerned about delphox dying to sucker?)

I think it's fine to just keep the consistent boosting options over not too fantastic gimmicky z-status stuff
I agree, I think Z-status should be reserved for the +1 in all stats moves (eg Z-Celebrate) where only having a single use isn’t as much of an issue because of how potent the boost is. That’s pretty much how it is in standard and I think the uncertainty of randbats makes the other Z-status moves even less effective since you can’t plan them for niche situations/lures. Even Z-Celebrate et al can be risky in randbats since there’s no team preview so unless it’s lategame you could end up wasting your boost if your opponent reveals something that can force you out after your Z-move.

A Random Duck

Banned deucer.
Suggesting the removal of Keen Eye from Drapion. I believe it already runs Battle Armor a handful of times, however it does get Keen Eye which unfortunately does nothing to help Drapion (since there are no accuracy dropping moves in the randbats metagame) compared to Battle Armor or even Sniper. So ultimately suggesting it run either Battle Armor/Sniper or just solely Battle Armor.

Gogoat also has Bulk Up, which IMO works better than Z-Grassy Terrain even if you don't get as much of a defense boost, since it gains more attack along with its defense. I'll think about Delphox but it still seems kinda sketchy to me. Maybe only have it on if the team has space for a Z-Move, I guess? On top of that I don't know if The Immortal would approve of these kinds of things especially considering that I'm still not fully on board
Doesnt have to be a Z-status move. It works just as well with the respective seeds, since you get the same stat boost. Unless for some reason the seeds are unavailable in the metagame atm. If so please pardon me as I was unaware of it. The added bonus of a Z-move would simply be that you can choose instead of Z- blabla Terrain to use an empowered version of an attack move you have, for increased versatility. But it is not necessary.

But sub doesnt protect you from bullet punch, aqua jet, shadow sneak, extremespeed or the likes. For the third time, I gave sucker punch as an example. It isn't the only threat blocked by Psychic Terrain.

Doesnt have to be a Z-status move. It works just as well with the respective seeds, since you get the same stat boost.
Not true. Here are the boosts given from Z-Terrain vs. a terrain seed:
  • Grassy: Z gives Defense, Seed gives Defense.
  • Electric: Z gives Speed, Seed gives Defense.
  • Psychic: Z gives Sp. Attack, Seed gives Sp. Defense.
  • Misty: Z gives Sp. Defense, Seed gives Sp. Defense.
Clearly you don't want a Psychic Seed on compared to Psychium-Z, which is why I think that they should not be used if a Z-Crystal is not available.

Psychic Terrain might work because it's an offensive boost plus the priority blocking stuff you mentioned, but I would still set it up such that Calm Mind gets priority because sometimes you do actually get to set up more than one. Grassy Terrain.... meh, Gogoat has Bulk Up and also a bunch of support moves that it likes if it doesn't roll Bulk Up (SubSeed and Milk Drink)

Either way this decision still requires a bit more thought.

View attachment 155147

Hi, during one of my randbat games this Mewtwo holding a Mewtwonite Y had this moveset. It doesn't have a STAB and I don't think this is good / ideal for any reason....
made a change that should fix this once and for all.

Gogoat also has Bulk Up, which IMO works better than Z-Grassy Terrain even if you don't get as much of a defense boost, since it gains more attack along with its defense. I'll think about Delphox but it still seems kinda sketchy to me. Maybe only have it on if the team has space for a Z-Move, I guess? On top of that I don't know if The Immortal would approve of these kinds of things especially considering that I'm still not fully on board
yeah those ideas don't seem great.

Suggesting the removal of Keen Eye from Drapion. I believe it already runs Battle Armor a handful of times, however it does get Keen Eye which unfortunately does nothing to help Drapion (since there are no accuracy dropping moves in the randbats metagame) compared to Battle Armor or even Sniper. So ultimately suggesting it run either Battle Armor/Sniper or just solely Battle Armor.
Fixed.

AB61AF3A-1109-4295-87D4-265FBAF9191A.jpeg

Marshadow without Spectral Thief? Huh? Spectral Thief is it’s signature move and the move that makes it really good alongside great coverage. But that great coverage isn’t so great if one of the moves is 60 power (+Stab)...

rhyperior.PNG

Presumably this was just bad luck? I don't think there's typically a whole lot of benefit from doubling on Rock coverage within a set in general, since the difference in accuracy is never exactly huge. (and unlike Scald/Hydro Pump or Freeze Dry/Blizzard, Rock Blast doesn't really have a good enough effect to have utility beyond its slightly higher accuracy.)

Also, didn't bother screencapping it, but I got another Pursuit/Sucker/Crunch 'mon a while back, a Skuntank. A lot of the time having all three (or the first two and some other Dark STAB like Knock Off) uncomfortably restricts coverage moves. Pursuit is typically the one I use the least, given that Pursuit trapping isn't really as useful as it is in standard, but it does come in handy from time to time. Maybe make it exclusive with Sucker Punch?

Also, didn't bother screencapping it, but I got another Pursuit/Sucker/Crunch 'mon a while back, a Skuntank. A lot of the time having all three (or the first two and some other Dark STAB like Knock Off) uncomfortably restricts coverage moves. Pursuit is typically the one I use the least, given that Pursuit trapping isn't really as useful as it is in standard, but it does come in handy from time to time. Maybe make it exclusive with Sucker Punch?
This was apparently an oversight with how we manage multiple STAB moves? I'm not sure about exclusive with Sucker Punch but I did make it so that Pursuit should be rejected if there are already 2 other Dark moves on the set.

The Rhyperior one looks like bad luck but maybe Rock Blast should be reconsidered overall on that mon idk

This was apparently an oversight with how we manage multiple STAB moves? I'm not sure about exclusive with Sucker Punch but I did make it so that Pursuit should be rejected if there are already 2 other Dark moves on the set.

The Rhyperior one looks like bad luck but maybe Rock Blast should be reconsidered overall on that mon idk
I'll be honest, I really don't see the point of having rock blast. Its average power is about 80, it's only better than stone edge if it hits 5 times (~16.67% chance), and its only use is breaking sash. And even then it's generally just useful against either a 4x rock weakness, or a 2x rock weakness that is weak defensively, or Smeargle. I think if it was a question of accuracy, rock slide is much more reliable, giving a chance to flinch on top of that, which can be useful considering its rock polish/WP set.

When you read the Smogon analysis, it basically says rock blast is very situational and is to counter some common treats in the meta. Not something that really works in randbats.

If it were me, I'd completely ditch Rock Blast and replace it with Ice Punch, who I think has much more uses. A lot of really good Pokémon can end a rock polish set up (Landorus, Garchomp, Zygarde, Flygon, Gliscor, Torterra) which would now be recked by ice punch. A 2x super effective hit deals as much as a neutral stone edge/earthquake, but it provides more reliability than stone edge (assuming ground immunity/resist) and gives a chance of freezing. Thinking about Pokemon like Giratina, Mega Altaria, some grass types that are not weak to megahorn (Vileplume, Roserade, Amoongus, Chesnaught, Virizion, Bulu, Decidueye, etc.), and such. I really think it has a reason to be in randbats, and it's not just for "pointless" more reliable coverage (because of those dangerous mons that have a 4x weakness to ice).

Last edited:
I've had a couple Substitute/Petaya/Cheek Pouch Dedenne sets (one with Recycle, one without) recently, and both times Dedenne was IV'd to be able to use Substitute four times--presumably because it's usually better for mons that rely on Subs.
But in this case it means that Dedenne's left with 25%+1 HP after three Subs, and thus can't activate Petaya/Cheek Pouch until another Sub takes it to 1 HP. Which ends up making it miss out on like an extra 24.9% HP after getting the boost.
Would it be too complicated to alter its HP number so it's divisible by 4 in those cases? I think I remember that happening for Linoone but in that case it always carries Belly Drum whereas Dedenne sometimes has other movesets or items.

Last edited:

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@pokeblade☆101: .randbats glalie
*Lady Monita: Glalie moves: Earthquake, Explosion, Ice Beam, Ice Shard, Spikes, Super Fang, Taunt

Why doesn't regular glalie have freeze dry, tbh? Seems weird not to have such useful utility on a mon that doesn't offer anything else (meaning offensively its pitiful without mega evolving)

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
can having both stabs be mandatory on sawsbuck? jump kick is pretty random(that i seem to always get) that with either stab makes you unable to hit ghosts or completely walled by flying/bug/poison, while the stabs leave it resisted only by steel.

Got a pretty bad set for Omastar the other day of Shell Smash, Stealth Rock, Scald, And Hydro Pump. Another Case of redundant STABs. I feel that it should have either Earth Power or Ice Beam instead of Scald.

can having both stabs be mandatory on sawsbuck? jump kick is pretty random(that i seem to always get) that with either stab makes you unable to hit ghosts or completely walled by flying/bug/poison, while the stabs leave it resisted only by steel.
no

on a more serious note I feel like Sawsbuck actually needs all 3 of its attacking moves (Jump Kick obviously has coverage to deal with Steels), but in terms of situations where it gets stuck with sub/SD/2 attacks I think any combination is fine that each combo just gets walled by different things. I'd say Normal/Fighting is the worst combination because of immunities so I'll see if there's a way to fix that, but it'd be pretty difficult to work out the correct logic maybe. perhaps something like, try to ensure that a dual-type Normal shouldn't only have Normal and Fighting attacking moves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)