Format Discussion Pokemon Sun/Moon Random Battle sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-771605327

If you check the turns 20-21, you can see the Celesteela gets a special attack boost after getting a kill, while its 4 revealed moves are Leech Seed, Protect,Earthquake and Heavyslam. This could be an error and probably worth reporting I guess as it doesnt make any sense.
I shall fix this.

View attachment 123243
Does Mower Rotom usually not run Leaf Storm? Or is this actually ok?
View attachment 123245
Doesn't Trevenant learn Shadow Claw?
View attachment 123246
I'm kinda sure that double hazards shouldn't be happening on Roserade and Rest without Sleep Talk
Grass STAB isn't one that's guaranteed. And, when I tried to reduce Thunderbolt/Volt Switch on the same set for occasions just like this, it didn't end well.

Trevenant has both. You rolled Phantom Force.

As already mentioned, Roserade has Natural Cure.

While you’re at it, mind hard-coding Nihilego to have equal Special Attack and Special Defense? At its current level, that just means dropping the SpD from 246 to 240 iirc, and I consider that an acceptable loss if it means getting SpA boosts after getting kills.

While you’re at it, mind hard-coding Nihilego to have equal Special Attack and Special Defense? At its current level, that just means dropping the SpD from 246 to 240 iirc, and I consider that an acceptable loss if it means getting SpA boosts after getting kills.
That's harder. We try to focus on generalized cases more than specific ones whenever possible, and lowering SpD by just enough for Beast Boost to land SpA instead is quite tricky. Celesteela was easy because we can drop the SpA IV/EV to 0, and things like accounting for Substitute/Belly Drum with Sitrus Berry etc. can be fixed with a very slight tweak to HP, but we'd need to repeatedly calculate Nihilego's stats to see if SpA > SpD until we get it right. We can't even hard code a specific EV drop other than putting it straight to zero, because every Pokemon is subject to the whims of tier changes, which affect its level in random battles. I'd rather not go through so much effort just for Nihilego to be slightly better.

That's harder. We try to focus on generalized cases more than specific ones whenever possible, and lowering SpD by just enough for Beast Boost to land SpA instead is quite tricky. Celesteela was easy because we can drop the SpA IV/EV to 0, and things like accounting for Substitute/Belly Drum with Sitrus Berry etc. can be fixed with a very slight tweak to HP, but we'd need to repeatedly calculate Nihilego's stats to see if SpA > SpD until we get it right. We can't even hard code a specific EV drop other than putting it straight to zero, because every Pokemon is subject to the whims of tier changes, which affect its level in random battles. I'd rather not go through so much effort just for Nihilego to be slightly better.
Does this mean Celesteela will never get special moves since they'll be useless with 0 IVs and EVs?

Danuh

Carpe diem!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been told to report this

hh.png

Even though its not a completely useless option, AV Zeraora seems meh and pointless as it could use much better items, especially with a set like this.

Yveltal should always get Oblivion wing over Hurricane (in gen 7 randoms)
1531617333854.png

1531617387621.png

1531617435841.png

As a mixed attacker there is almost no case where yveltal would prefer to drop the 75% heal and drop in acc from an extremely reliable 100% to the far too risky 70% even for 30 base power and a 30% confuse chance

The only case where hurricane might be preferred is if you get one of the two non uber drizzle pokemon or the few that can set up rain (heliolisk, kingdra, phione, mega swampert, ludicolo, castform rainy, seismitoad, swanna)
Even then, the non drizzle pokemon need to have raindance in their move set and have to use it, and then even if they are defeated that turn it gives yveltal a limited number of turns for hurricane to be used reliably (not to mention your intentions would be fairly telegraphed)

Oblivion wing provides almost ridiculous recovery, even ignoring the special characteristics, 100% acc stab is never a bad choice. If hurricane were really necessary then wouldn't z-flying be much better? an oblivion wing and 160 bp with z-flying almost makes up for two 110bp life orb hurricanes (and thats if both hurricanes hit)

please consider it, the added rng in 70% acc to an otherwise very solid attacker is just totally unnecessary

p.s. to a lesser extent i dont think foulplay should be prefered over sucker punch but i suppose it has some niche uses

Last edited:
I've gotten this set before; with resttalk DD, you're generated with Leftovers, i'm pretty sure.
Huh. I see now, the code is set to not generate the crystal if you have both bounce and sleep talk... I'll have to figure out how to fix this but the most likely solution is to get a way to prevent it from being your only attack

Why are the Torkoal's running white smoke now? Got a Shell Smash Torkoal with SS, Fire Blast, HP Grass and Yawn. Would be significantly better with drought.

1532347717884.png

so no one else thinks getting hurricane over oblivion wing is an issue?
hurricane is just so obviously inferior, i dont care about 30% confusion, i need the reliability of 100% acc and i really think its appreciates the recovery a hell of a lot more in a 1v1 then it cares about dealing like 40% instead of 35% damage on neutral hits (if it hits)

here is a more direct comparision
value of hurricane:
110*.7 (for 70% accuracy) = 77 damage per turn accounting for acc
confusion chance .7*.3 = 21% chance per turn accounting for acc then 33% chance to proc per turn

80*100 (80) = 80 damage per turn
75% heal damage dealt (100% acc) =
worst cases
(6.2 - 7.2% recovered) on 217 hp lvl 77 stakataka for 13.45400 min recovery
(5.5 - 6.6 % recovered) on 262 hp lvl 86 probopass for 14.41 min recovery
best cases
(49.3 - 59% recovered) on 265 hp lvl 86 sunflora for 130.64500 min recovery
(71.5% recovery) on 287 hp lvl 77 buzzwole for 205.20500 recovery (2/3rds yveltals hp)

towards the lower end it might be negligible but neutral hits are already decent recovery

so the only ways hurricane beats oblivion wing are through rain which, as mentioned previously, isn't likely or reliable when you do have pokemon that can generate rain, or through massive confusion rng, not only does hurricane need to hit, then confusion needs to stick, then it needs another check to see if it even does anything, granted if it happens the free turn isn't negligible, but its so unreliable it might as well not exist, as well confusion is easily dealt with by swapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)