Format Discussion Pokemon Sun/Moon Random Battle sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can chansey be forced one of Toxic/Seismic Toss? Right now it seems like every time you roll Chansey you get something like Wish/Heal Bell/Protect/Stealth Rocks

Gligar should never get Hyper Cutter. Hyper Cutter Gligar was only a set because defog was not compatible with immunity. Now that defog is a tutor move there shouldn't be any reason for gligar to not have immunity.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gligar should never get Hyper Cutter. Hyper Cutter Gligar was only a set because defog was not compatible with immunity. Now that defog is a tutor move there shouldn't be any reason for gligar to not have immunity.
Was this in Battle Factory? Normal SM Random Battles don't factor in illegalities anyway, and I don't think they have Gligar. If it was in BF, I'll ask for that to be updated (or do it).

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Was this in Battle Factory? Normal SM Random Battles don't factor in illegalities anyway, and I don't think they have Gligar. If it was in BF, I'll ask for that to be updated (or do it).
Regular randbats does contain Gligar, and Gligar can roll Hyper Cutter in randbats. I can confirm sneaky's situation. However, this is likely something to do with the relative ability rankings putting Immunity and Hyper Cutter near or close to each other in terms of relative ability viability, rather than Gligar itself.

SmartSelect_20180827-135024_QuickPic.jpg

Don't need Psychic and Psyshock on the same set, easiest way to fix this is to take Psychic out of its possible moves.

pants

*dies inconveniently*
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
download.png
Just got both Groundium-Z Ninjask and Flyinium-Z Talonflame in the same randbat team, dunno if that's supposed to happen but it threw me off guard

https://prnt.sc/knm59z honestly, why that happened? If its a curse user why it has seismisc toss?
Also for some reason I got a Bruxish with only aqua jet as stab (crunch,sd and ice fang as others moves)
Also I want to give the possibility to Sawsbuck having Serene Grace (specially with a choice scarf), but only when it has headbutt because another flinch abuser sounds nice

Electrode is really underwhelming. How about giving it Explosion?

At least that way I can go boom on a special attacker that has set up -- the Thunderbolt/Foul Play/Taunt/Signal Beam set I just got is very easily walled by any mon with a modicum of special defense.

Also... Electrode and Explosion. Electrodes explode. It's what they do.

Adeleine

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
like i guess it lets you hit a little harder on some spa/spd mons, but it's not really reliable for taking out special set-up sweepers: it's really not doing much to anyone but the frailest special attackers off of 50 Attack:
84 Atk Electrode Explosion vs. 84 HP / 84 Def Gardevoir (68/65): 151-178 (50.6 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (3HKO if lefties but i forget how common, assuming existing, those are on garde)
84 Atk Electrode Explosion vs. 84 HP / 84 Def Tapu Koko (70/85): 124-147 (41 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
84 Atk Electrode Explosion vs. 84 HP / 84 Def Clefable: (95/73) 139-164 (39.4 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
84 Atk Electrode Explosion vs. 84 HP / 84 Def Latias: 119-141 (80/90) (36.9 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
84 Atk Electrode Explosion vs. 84 HP / 84 Def Slowking (95/80): 130-153 (36.9 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

and then you're permanently down your blazing fast taunter/foul-player/attacker. this makes me feel that, overall, the other moves are more valuable. especially since foul play (eg espeon) and taunt (eg chansey) can screw overall a lot of specially defensive mons

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Can we give Empoleon defog?
Definite +1 on this; the more removers we have in Randbats, the better, and Defog is Empoleon's primary set in most of the tiers it's run anyway due to its great defensive typing and bulk granting it many opportunities to remove hazards.

Found an interesting lefties suicune, probably doesn't need hydro pump and scald if it's not specs no?

1536326337120.png

I lost the Screenshot, but also found a [lefties)registeel with curse seismictoss iron head and protect;Stoss seems kind of useless there if you're boosting no?
E: Was what Puer Abutens posted, but with protect over rocks. probably could do with rest.

Should Sucker Punch on Huntail be replaced by Crunch?

After a shell smash very few mons outspeed Huntail in rands out of them only Mega-Alakazam and Deoxys-Speed take super effective damage as far as i know.

Right now Huntail's only attacking moves in randbats are Waterfall Ice Beam and Sucker Punch meaning it has basically nothing for coverage and crunch's consistency along with higher base power could really help him.

on the other hand Sucker Punch priority can help Huntail accomplish something before setting up so there is a merit to keeping it.

Should Sucker Punch on Huntail be replaced by Crunch?

After a shell smash very few mons outspeed Huntail in rands out of them only Mega-Alakazam and Deoxys-Speed take super effective damage as far as i know.

Right now Huntail's only attacking moves in randbats are Waterfall Ice Beam and Sucker Punch meaning it has basically nothing for coverage and crunch's consistency along with higher base power could really help him.

on the other hand Sucker Punch priority can help Huntail accomplish something before setting up so there is a merit to keeping it.
It might be considered; I'll need to look into the speed levels present in random battles. 52 base speed is still not the most ideal for something that needs to be fast, despite its higher level adjustments, and many choice scarf users probably still outspeed, so sucker punch can take them out if they were previously weakened, which is the reason for its use instead of crunch in its PU analysis.

Edit: also I think at the end of the day, crunch doesn't really give much in terms of meaningful coverage, while sucker punch is useful for its priority in certain situations. There aren't really any other good coverage options for it, though.

Last edited:
Yeah I did a quick check and the number of Scarf users that would outspeed +2 Huntail seems to be large enough to justify keeping Sucker Punch. Pokemon that it would hit super effectively that would otherwise outspeed it with Scarf include Celebi, Delphox, Mesprit, Mew, etc. Furthermore, it might be possible to take out a weakened Scarf Electivire or Manectric if you're lucky (both of which also outspeed +2 Huntail)

Sure, it won't be great for combating all Scarfers, but seriously, Huntail doesn't actually have any other good options, but I doubt that HP Grass would be a good choice either (unlike its use on its cousin Gorebyss, which has higher Special Attack and also can't learn Sucker Punch anyways)

Huntail is just a sad little fish

So I had a great randbats team just now - Clefable (Moonblast/Fire Blast/rocks/Softboiled), Kommo-o, Mega Pinsir (SD/Return/EQ/CC), Flareon, Archeops and some sixth mon. Great team, right? When Clefable is your fifth best mon, it's an awesome team.

My Pinsir lead is opposite a Minior and I realize I have to click x as I had literally zero counterplay against "Shell Smash" and effortlessly sweep.

The team I had was a very good randbats team that is literally 6-0'd turn 1 with zero skill involved. Can we PLEASE do something about Minior? I had one mon that could switch in and take a hit (Clefable) and do absolutely nothing back and one mon that could hit it super effectively (Archeops) but would never ever get the chance as it is OHKO'd immediately after the Shell Smash. Minior is beyond broken and I'm sick of hearing these "there are ways to beat it" arguments. That doesn't justify a mon that is utterly broken. I would rather have Mega Rayquaza in the tier than deal with this stupid thing that leaves no counterplay most of the time. Geoxern is the only other mon that can consistently force clicking x turn 1 but at least it can be statused on the setup, is level balanced and is not a MIXED ATTACKER.

Adeleine

i'd be at least okay with that set, admittedly. Amazing super-effective coverage lets you hopefully leverage its mediocre offense stats into usefulness, since even stabbed Bug Multi-Attack doesn't threaten that much (even against cacturne, flamethrower is more likely to ko than not after a substitute and a round of its life orb recoil i'm pretty sure). Defog is also godly. The concern would be special tanks and bulky psychics i suppose, but even then for the former, MA only has a ~20% chance to 2HKO sample such mon Cryogonal after Leftovers (and it has Recover)

i'd be at least okay with that set, admittedly. Amazing super-effective coverage lets you hopefully leverage its mediocre offense stats into usefulness, since even stabbed Bug Multi-Attack doesn't threaten that much (even against cacturne, flamethrower is more likely to ko than not after a substitute and a round of its life orb recoil i'm pretty sure). Defog is also godly. The concern would be special tanks and bulky psychics i suppose, but even then for the former, MA only has a ~20% chance to 2HKO sample such mon Cryogonal after Leftovers (and it has Recover)
No. That set has nothing good about it. There's no reason to have the bug type over any of those other three if it doesn't get multi-attack. Silvally doesn't have the stats to make use of that coverage unless it gets STAB. It doesn't even do 70% with non-stab flame/beam to something as frail as Cacturne. And defog is nice, but it takes 25% with no recovery, so not that godly.

Adeleine

Realistically speaking, there's no reason to use Bug-type Silvally at all except...STAB U-Turn? (on a mon that already gets Parting Shot?) It's there for the same reason Unown is, comprehensiveness, and having as an option the means to super-effectively hit a billion things (even if lacking in power) is one way to make the most of a bad type/stats/etc situation.
Defog is rare enough in randoms compared to in Standard that people won't always keep their Rocker/other hazarder alive to re-set against the Defogger (that probably won't be there) later, meaning a type to pivot into and out of hazards is less important than having the move at all to use once / decent Speed to get hazards off once. And if you are somehow matched up against a hazard setter, you have moves that hit prominent setters (eg Ice Beam for Grounds, Flamethrower for Ferrothorn, Thunderbolt for Skarm; Bug MA hits considerably less in this department) to pick them off or outspeed+2HKO them after weakening them some

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)