Format Discussion Pokemon Sun/Moon Random Battle sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just how the client keeps track of everything, as it helps distinguish between the illusions and the real mons if the sim notices any changes between the two instances. Afaik it won't show them both if you've done nothing that would break said illusion, i.e being sent out with a different level, taking residual damage and having their HP stats differ etc. This is just what's possible by hand if you would do this on cart, it's not leaking any information that is hidden.
I don't remember the levels, but Illusion itself wasn't broken as you can see, there's no Zoroark icon on the left.

Apologies if this is the intended behavior.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
I don't remember the levels, but Illusion itself wasn't broken as you can see, there's no Zoroark icon on the left.

Apologies if this is the intended behavior.
This is the intended behavior, the sim doesn't explicitly state that there's a Zoroark, only that the two Victrebell's that have been sent out differ.

That's just how the client keeps track of everything, as it helps distinguish between the illusions and the real mons if the sim notices any changes between the two instances. Afaik it won't show them both if you've done nothing that would break said illusion, i.e being sent out with a different level, taking residual damage and having their HP stats differ etc. This is just what's possible by hand if you would do this on cart, it's not leaking any information that is hidden.
I'm more confused about the duplicate Gallades.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
why does dusknoir have only shadow sneak as stab? it's slow ok but so are many other mons, and it's quite tanky so idk what the point is of a weak priority move when shadow punch would be much better

why does dusknoir have only shadow sneak as stab? it's slow ok but so are many other mons, and it's quite tanky so idk what the point is of a weak priority move when shadow punch would be much better
Because it'll get eaten by the opponent

Because Shadow Punch is so weak that Earthquake does more damage assuming same type effectiveness, and Shadow Punch will hit almost nothing super-effectively.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Because it'll get eaten by the opponent

Because Shadow Punch is so weak that Earthquake does more damage assuming same type effectiveness, and Shadow Punch will hit almost nothing super-effectively.
i literally got smashed by bruxish cos my set was sub focus sneak wisp, and it was dazzling bruxish.

there's mew cofagrigus golurk alakazam and i get that 2 sneaks is stronger than a shadow punch but there's 2 mons that are immune to priority, and there's tapu lele that also negates priority for 4 turns

i get that clicking sneak vs mewtwo is clutch but i don't see how anything invalidates the use of shadow punch, just put both of them in the pool and you can have a condition to not have both on the same set i see no downsides to this

Reactions: nui
Random monotype with non mega venusaur - overgrow - heat rock - gigadrain/sludgebomb/sleeppowder/sunnyday. Sunny day was useless but i used it anyway.... Surely this venusaur heat rock set should always have sunny day and chlorophyll?

I got a Tyrantrum @ Focus Sash (Strong Jaw) with Earthquake/Outrage/Superpower/Stealth Rock
Strong Jaw seems useless without any moves to use it with, Head Smash with Rock Head instead of Superpower would be a LOT better wouldn't it?

I still don't see a plausible purpose for Rain Dance Heliolisk. I understand Surf, Thunder, and Dry Skin, but Surf and Dry Skin are good on Lisk anyway, and Thunder isn't a necessity when Thunderbolt and/or Volt Switch are more than solid anyway. I could see it if Heliolisk either had actual STAB on Surf, Swift Swim, or was just guaranteed Surf and Thunder on the RD Sets, but as seen by the lack of Surf, it's not even a guarantee you'll get that. The applications in which you'll get to use Rain Dance are pretty situational anyway, and pretty much every time it appears you would much rather have either another STAB or coverage (Like in the aforementioned first screenshot where I could easily be Volt Switch, Hyper Voice, or Surf and be on my way). There even exists sets that will roll Thunder as the sole Electric STAB but no Rain Dance; this leaves you reliant on Thunder without any way of getting past the accuracy, which shouldn't be the case on a mon that can roll Thunderbolt and Volt Switch.
To be honest, while the pictured set isn't half bad now that I think about it, there still isn't any purpose for Rain Dance or Thunder, just as standalone Thunder really isn't enough to justify Rain Dance, and they could easily be swapped for any combination of Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Hyper Voice, or Surf.

As stated earlier I could see it if Heliolisk either had water STAB, Swift Swim, Waterium Z, Electrium Z, or was guaranteed to roll Surf/Hyper Voice/Thunder alongside Rain Dance, but none of these factors are true, and for that reason I am suggesting that Rain Dance and Thunder be removed from Heliolisk's possible moveset.

Ice beam, u-turn, scald and rest @ sash with lead Phione

No rain dance or drizzle either on my team.

Guess it's an issue that stems from leads often getting sash + Phione only having those 4 moves + rain dance in its move pool, so if it gets the 3 attacking moves first, it has to get either rain dance or rest as its last move, even if it has sash...

Might be bold, but maybe knock off could be added to its movepool? Dazzling gleam and grass knot could also be options, but they're far less useful than knock off. Maybe toxic?

I understand how two Dragon STABs could be usefull here (same attacking stats, one doesn't lower your special attack) but it felt weird to have both.

I have no idea how Flame Charge was considered the Fire STAB. At least it had Dragon Pulse!

Something about that set rubbed me the wrong way.

Sorry if any of these sets are supposed to be good. I just thought it would be worth mentioning some of these in case something went wrong.

breh

強いだね
scald focus blast hydro pump giga drain ludicolo @ specs... with own tempo

the chance you or your opponent have RD is much higher than the chance you get confused; own tempo should never be a thing unless the pokemon has an outrage clone or has no better ability, even keen eye is probably better

Last edited:

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
View attachment 179053
I understand how two Dragon STABs could be usefull here (same attacking stats, one doesn't lower your special attack) but it felt weird to have both.

View attachment 179055
I have no idea how Flame Charge was considered the Fire STAB. At least it had Dragon Pulse!

View attachment 179056
Something about that set rubbed me the wrong way.

Sorry if any of these sets are supposed to be good. I just thought it would be worth mentioning some of these in case something went wrong.
Mixed Kyurem is actually really good like that, I agree that Flame Charge Reshiram is a bit underwhelming tho, and the Zoroark set doesn't seem that bad for a choiced set even.

View attachment 177795

I still don't see a plausible purpose for Rain Dance Heliolisk. I understand Surf, Thunder, and Dry Skin, but Surf and Dry Skin are good on Lisk anyway, and Thunder isn't a necessity when Thunderbolt and/or Volt Switch are more than solid anyway. I could see it if Heliolisk either had actual STAB on Surf, Swift Swim, or was just guaranteed Surf and Thunder on the RD Sets, but as seen by the lack of Surf, it's not even a guarantee you'll get that. The applications in which you'll get to use Rain Dance are pretty situational anyway, and pretty much every time it appears you would much rather have either another STAB or coverage (Like in the aforementioned first screenshot where I could easily be Volt Switch, Hyper Voice, or Surf and be on my way). There even exists sets that will roll Thunder as the sole Electric STAB but no Rain Dance; this leaves you reliant on Thunder without any way of getting past the accuracy, which shouldn't be the case on a mon that can roll Thunderbolt and Volt Switch.
To be honest, while the pictured set isn't half bad now that I think about it, there still isn't any purpose for Rain Dance or Thunder, just as standalone Thunder really isn't enough to justify Rain Dance, and they could easily be swapped for any combination of Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Hyper Voice, or Surf.

As stated earlier I could see it if Heliolisk either had water STAB, Swift Swim, Waterium Z, Electrium Z, or was guaranteed to roll Surf/Hyper Voice/Thunder alongside Rain Dance, but none of these factors are true, and for that reason I am suggesting that Rain Dance and Thunder be removed from Heliolisk's possible moveset.
Did a thing to try and improve Surf+Rain Dance+Thunder chances instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)