Metagame Pokemon Sword and Shield: UU Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Last edited:
Not gonna lie, I'm kind of worried about Dynamax. I've already seen people making the case for it not to be banned just because it's "part of the game mechanics" or something along those lines. This was the exact same excuse used in the case of Z-Moves. While I usually try to stray away from the latter debate I just wanted to express possible concern.

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
Wondering if Shell Smash Blastoise will end up here...seems like it would be a tad overshadowed in OU as a set up mon so I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop. It'll have good coverage and a decent amount of places to set up thanks to the bulk so I could see it being a very nice option.

What are people's thoughts on Inteleon? Since the likes of Ferrothorn and Toxapex will be in OU again (and those will affect its viability the most) most likely, will it have a chance to shine or be outclassed by other offensive Waters like Primarina?

What are people's thoughts on Inteleon? Since the likes of Ferrothorn and Toxapex will be in OU again (and those will affect its viability the most) most likely, will it have a chance to shine or be outclassed by other offensive Waters like Primarina?
Intelleon's movepool holds it back the most. Its notable moves are Dark Pulse, Ice Beam, and Hydro Pump, so not much. The coverage is okay, but it doesn't have the raw dual STABs that Primarina benefited from; however, the Pokemon does get U-Turn, so a Scarf set or a Specs set could be viable. At the moment, Intelleon seems to be RU at best. There are rumors that Focus Energy grants 100% crits, but that is currently unconfirmed.

We getting clanger back Bois

But for real, we're probably getting, toise zard, prim, etc. I also do worry about dynamax. It has a lot of same problems as Z Moves, but the unpredictability is turned to 11. This metagame, I predict, will be greatly more offensive than this one

I'm wondering if Dragapult will come to UU. From what I've seen on discord, quite a few people were literally saying dragapult "sucks" mostly due to its poor physical movepool. I'd like to say hell no to that but I could always be completely off.

Jocus

Banned deucer.
(information from https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f6nll_1FTDVYR2wVxUHuyqWxTOQtU6kO7_ibcY2Lf_0/htmlview#)

What's worrying about Dragapult to me is its gargantuan speed tier (1 base stat lower than Zeraora) combined with Dragon Dance. Once it gets a boost (assuming Jolly), no Scarfer can outspeed it except Accelgor, Ninjask, and Zacian (Sword). Accelgor and Ninjask don't appear to have the offensive capabilities to threaten it despite its poor defenses. It can afford to run Adamant if it doesn't care about Eiscue, Weavile, or other high-Speed Pokemon. Eiscue has garbage stats; Weavile may become UUBL again like in Gen 7 or even OU. This may lead to a meta where priority, or physically defensive Pokemon that aren't weak to Dragapult's STABs or coverage are mandatory.

I'm wondering if Dragapult will come to UU. From what I've seen on discord, quite a few people were literally saying dragapult "sucks" mostly due to its poor physical movepool. I'd like to say hell no to that but I could always be completely off.
I don't see dragapult in UU. Its phys moves do lack but its rather ridiculous offensive stats and special movepool will let it run some nice sets (i.e. mixed DD, LO, CB, hell...maybe even specs). I honestly think it's going to be one of those definite OU mons eventually and people are just rather undermining it because of their disappointment in its phys movepool at this point. Regardless, I think dragapult will be too much for UU.

Gen8 UU is definitely looking like it is going to be weaker in comparison to Gen 7 with so many Pokemon being cut. I would probably consider it a little to ADV or DPP in that sense as most of the power creep is going to be in Ubers or OU. Most of our current UU members that survived dexit will most likely be rising to OU as a response to this. So my thoughts are simply on some of the more underrated Pokemon I believe will potentially be decent.

Sandaconda is a Pokemon that I think will most likely end up being UU simply because Hippowdon is going to become a staple glue for OU without a doubt. So I just don't think it is going to be able to compete with Hippowdon on this ground but could defo see a place in UU. This is even more likely with how few Ground-types there are in this game. It's ability allows it to set sand when hit by a contact move and has respectable bulk even if it isn't anything crazy (72.107.125.65.70.71). With the Pokemon that made it back in there are a very limited amount of Ground-types at our disposal with the big ones in Hippo and Exca most indefinitely being OU. It has a pretty bog-standard movepool with EQ and rocks. Then may offer to run coverage options like Stone Edge or simply run Rest + SleepTalk as it lacks recovery.

Mudsdale is another Ground-type that I think will honestly find a place in UU. Again there are like zero Ground-types available in comparison to Gen7 and it is hard to determine what others stay in OU though I'm pretty sure this won't end up there. Mudsdale is a pretty unique Pokemon thanks to Stamina so I think it'll fulfill the role of a reliable rocker / physical wall with the role compression it can provide. Rhyperior has seen traction in Gen7 and will probably do so even more in Gen 8 regardless of which tier it ends in. I'm going to clump it with Muds as a dedicated rocker though it obviously has more offensive presence. Let's not forget it gets fcking Hydro Pump. :bloblul:

I think Ground + Steel-type will be pretty decent given dexit removing a lot of Steel-types in general. Steelix has a few additional moves in its arsenal: Dragon Dance, Body Press, Drill Run, Psychic Fangs, Head Smash, High Horsepower. Catch me using DD Steelix bro. Steelix will serve a similar role to the two above in being a dedicated rocker but its typing will set itself somewhat apart.

I'm not sure whether Hatterene ends up being UU given it is pretty decent albeit slow and having weak Def. This thing has a monstrous SpA stat paired with SpD bulk making it a decent partner for potential Trick Room teams (57.90.95.136.103.29 ). Though the main thing that interests me is it having Magic Bounce paired with a decent typing in Fairy + Psychic. Hatterene could most definitely run a OTR set or even a CM set. I think it will have a lot of potential if it drops.

Galarian Rapidash is another Fairy + Psychic type I am excited for if it doesn't get enough traction in OU with all the comptetion it could face. Unlike the three other Pokemon in this game with the same typing it has a stronger physical attack setting itself apart. It also has access to SD this gen so paired with STAB Zen Headbutt and Play Rough it could prove to be a phenominal breaker or sweeper (65.100.70.80.80.105). Not to mention it has good coverage with High Horsepower, Megahorn, Wild Charge etc. This is defo a Pokemon I'm fairly excited for if it ends up in UU.

Frosmoth has sadly been gutted with not getting Earth Power and lacking Hidden power this gen. Though it's ability Ice Scales does give it a pretty crazy SpD stat (70.65.60.125.90.65). It could have had so much more potential as a QD user but given its movepool and being so slow I'm not too sure this will end up being OU, which is great because this beautiful Mon could potentially shine in UU. I could see this Pokemon relying on those boots that ignore hazards in order to be pretty effective as well as be a decent QD user or Assault Vest user. I think the latter could be pretty good given it does have access to U-turn, which is really nice.

That's all I'm going to comment on because it's obvs too early to talk about a lot of this stuff. I would definitely recommend people set there bars low with what has the potential to be UU this gen with the power creep of certain Pokemon, so stuff like Dragapult, Mimikyu, Togekiss, Kommo-o etc. most likely won't end up here (Ofc this is all speculation, but based off the pool we have its most likely not happening). I'm looking forward to a new Gen because this looks a lot more refreshing with the playstyle changing completely to the shit show we currently have with Z-Moves, Scizor, and Terrakion ._.

Curious as always what others think and you should defo take a close look at the Pokemon available to help predict what the UU meta could look like. Ban Dynamax.

Last edited:

Jocus

Banned deucer.
Sounds interesting. I think that Rain is going to be more niche than what one might expect from Gen 7's OU because Pelipper is the only Pokemon with Drizzle and will almost certainly be stolen by OU.

(On that note, OU, give back Gliscor and Serperior pls)

Just a few numbers to chew on: historically over the last several generations OU has averaged a little over 50 pokemon, and banished a little under 10 pokemon to ubers, while UU tends to ban around 20 pokemon. So pretty consistently around 80 pokemon have been above the UU cutoff. Doing a quick tally of the SWSH roster there are about 250 fully-evolved pokemon (inflated somewhat by Silvally's 18 formes). This means, if averages from prior generations hold constant in gen 8, that about 1 in 3 fully-evolved Pokemon will be above the UU cutoff.

Just a few numbers to chew on: historically over the last several generations OU has averaged a little over 50 pokemon, and banished a little under 10 pokemon to ubers, while UU tends to ban around 20 pokemon. So pretty consistently around 80 pokemon have been above the UU cutoff. Doing a quick tally of the SWSH roster there are about 250 fully-evolved pokemon (inflated somewhat by Silvally's 18 formes). This means, if averages from prior generations hold constant in gen 8, that about 1 in 3 fully-evolved Pokemon will be above the UU cutoff.
The size of the banlist isn't correlative with generation. The removal of Z-moves and the overall reduction of power creep means that there is a potential that less things will be broken in UU (assuming we gut Dynamax and Gigantimax).

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
1573873812341.png
Haxorus is gonna be fuckin broken lol, imagin facin DD with this set. CC, Outrage, Poison Jab, look at this coverage. Only thing that can check is Corviknight.

1573873934136.png
Speaking of Corviknight, I think it might be a staple here, what with being a defensive steel,having reliable recovery, and only two weaknesses. Cleric support is gonna be great on this.

My two cents.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Twilight has said a lot of great ideas already imo, but another Ground-type I see real potential for UU this gen is Flygon tbh. With hidden power Ice hitting the gutter, it has the potential to fill a nice role of a ground-immunity, electric-immunity and defogger without worrying about being hp iced by electric-types. Reliable recovery (provided it still gets roost this gen anyway idek) is a pretty big bonus for it too, though idk how I feel about the potential of offensive sets as much.

Edit: unfortunately won't be getting Roost or defog until Pokemon Home, but depending on the time length for the release this could still be very relevant. Flygon may also still serve as a decent option for a scarfer potentially thanks to levitate and u-turn,. It also gets first impression which could be interesting on more offensive sets depending on what fast threats drop to UU and whether they are bug weak, potentially some forms of mixed flygon offensive sets utilising earthquake first impression thunder punch draco meteor or something could be very interesting, especially if mantine becomes oppressively good in UU after Pokemon home too.

Last edited:
The size of the banlist isn't correlative with generation. The removal of Z-moves and the overall reduction of power creep means that there is a potential that less things will be broken in UU (assuming we gut Dynamax and Gigantimax).
I'd agree that you shouldn't read too deeply into it; it's just a rough estimate based on historical averages and by no means an accurate prediction of what will be in this generation. UUBL has only existed for 6 generations so it's a small sample size, and there's argument that due to structural differences in tiering philosophy that generation 2 and 3 probably shouldn't be counted (it's not generation 7 bringing up the average, by the way, it's generation3). But even if we only count generation 4-6 the average size of UUBL is still 15 pokemon, so it doesn't substantially affect the estimate.

And just this post is actually speculating on next generation's UU, I want to say that I'm very curious about Corviknight. It has stats very similar to Skarmory (basically only differing in that it's equally balanced between physical and special bulk) in addition to that awesome Steel/Flying typing, but it lacks access to hazards, phasing, or even the move Toxic so it's ludicrously passive and setup fodder for anything it can't hit super-effectively. It does look like it could run a decent Rocky Helmet set with a slow U-Turn to bring in partners, and it is the first pokemon to get the combination of Power Trip and Bulk Up so it could have an interesting Bulk Up set. I'm curious to see how it fares in actual play.

Last edited:
I'm going to assume most weather shenanigans stay upstairs in OU, about the only weather setters that UU gets would be the NFE's [Vulpix; Snover; Hippopotas] and Sandaconda, and quite a few of the notable abusers being in OU. I could be incorrect with this however.

First thing I want to talk about is Rapid Spin. Not only is Rapid Spin now 50 BP; but it also boosts Speed by 1 Stage. This means as well as Hazard removal; Rapid Spin can serve as setup.

Ignoring Blastoise [I feel with Shell Smash it'll be OU; even if it's an Electrivire case] and Excadrill [No way that thing drops to UU]; I see four notable Rapid Spinners that double as powerful threats. These pokemon can seemingly threaten to sweep if they successfully Spin; and even if they don't sweep; they still spun.

Speed After Boosting - 409 [Neutral] 450 [+ Speed]

Hitmonlee is the first of these threats, and perhaps the most traditional. Base 87 Speed makes him the 3rd fastest Spinner in the tier [And 4th in the game; top 3 being Excadrill; Morpeko and Mr.Mime]. Hitmonlee also boasts a Base 120 Atk stat; and either Limber for Paralysis immunity; or Reckless to ramp up Hi Jump Kick further. [SpinLee wouldn't be using Unburden].

As well as Hi Jump Kick; other notable moves Hitmonlee gets include Earthquake; Rock Slide; Blaze Kick; Close Combat [For Limber sets]; Poison Jab; Stone Edge and Throat Chop. This gives quite the range of coverage options for Hitmonlee as well. Throat Chop is especially notable; as a Dark coverage option. With Pursuit gone to the home in the clouds; the ability of a Spinner to beat Ghosts is massive. Dark/Fighting is also in general pretty good coverage.

Hitmonchan and Hitmontop can do similar roles; but as an offensive Spinner, Hitmonlee outclasses them. [Hitmontop is superior as a Defensive spinner]

Speed After Boosting - 364 [Neutral] ; 400 [+Nature]

The next Rapid Spinner threat is Tsareena. She shares Hitmonlee's Base 120 ATK; but is slightly slower at Base 72 Speed. However, unlike Hitmonlee; she has her signature ability; Queenly Majesty; which makes her immune to Priority.

Of course; despite the similarities in offensive stats; Tsareena plays quite differently to Hitmonlee. She is significantly more physically bulky; but will usually hae less raw power or reliability due to weaker STAB options or reliant on the 85% accurate Power Whip [Although if Grassy Terrain is in play...]. Her coverage choices are also notably different to Hitmonlee; with Seed Bomb/Power Whip; Hi Jump Kick; Acrobatics [Which would require sacrifice of an item; or a consumable to be used]; Zed Headbutt and Play Rough as options.

In addittion, Tsareena can use U-Turn, allowing her to maintain momentum post-spin with a Swift U-Turn, or switch out from a predicted Spinblocker while dealing good chip damage.

Speed After Boosting:

Mr.Mime - 448 [Neutral]; 492 [+Speed]
Mr.Rime - 358 [Neutral]; 393 [+Speed]

The final two offensive spinners are of the same evolutionary line; Galarian Mr.Mime; and his evolution; Mr.Rime.

They key differences between the two are Mr.Mime is faster and can opt into Eviolite; while Mr.Rime is tankier without Eviolite; and has +20 to both offensive stats; while being slower.

What also separates these two from Hitmonlee and Tsareena is they are special attackers. Ice/Psychic is a very potent offensive combination, and both Sirs have access to Focus Blast in case any Steel types try to withstand your STAB moves. Other coverage moves include Thunderbolt; Shadow Ball [To blast spinblockers with], Energy Ball, Grass Knot and Dazzleing Gleam.

But that further helps out Spinner Mime/Rime is their moveset in the first place; which threatens Nasty Plot and Calm Mind sets; and well as simple utility sets, due to the very wide movepools of these pokemon [Trick; Swap moves; Screens; Taunt; Encore]. This means Mime and Rime are a lot less predictable than Hitmonlee and Tsareena. People may not even expect a Rapid Spin from these two pokemon.

So; what do people think of these four as Offensive Spinners? I know Scarfers can probobly bring most of them down, but it could still be quite potent against teams lacking Scarfers/after a Scarfer has been removed.

Last edited:
I want a +2 for hydrei which reaches either 648(Positive nature)+2 and 590(neutral nature)+2 this is because people may use dragon dance and start boosting to +2 so people know that its a bench mark for their pokemon to outspeed

hydreigon stay in UU pls u were a great Mon but i font think its OU material ( i very well may be wrong) but there are fairies and fairy coverage that will probably prevent it from rising and a lot of Pokemon getting close combat inst helping.

certain mons may rise like zard and maybe some other pokes which are busted due to gigamaxing so i dont know how it will look like only time can tell

I can't believe that the one generation that I plan to skip is the gen that does Vileplume right.

I mean, finally! Leech Seed! Then Sludge Wave for good measure. Oddly enough, I miss Infestation. Would have been good to trap an opponent and slowly whittle them away.

I want a +2 for hydrei which reaches either 648(Positive nature)+2 and 590(neutral nature)+2 this is because people may use dragon dance and start boosting to +2 so people know that its a bench mark for their pokemon to outspeed

hydreigon stay in UU pls u were a great Mon but i font think its OU material ( i very well may be wrong) but there are fairies and fairy coverage that will probably prevent it from rising and a lot of Pokemon getting close combat inst helping.

certain mons may rise like zard and maybe some other pokes which are busted due to gigamaxing so i dont know how it will look like only time can tell
Gigantamax probably won't be much of an issue compared to regular Dynamax, the only effective difference is a different Max Move; with a different secondary effect to standard. And when the choice is 'Sunny Day or Fire+Grass Pledge DoT' I'm fairly sure people will take Sun; so G-Max Charizard would actually be a downgrade from D-Max Charizard.

Also I would be very surprised if Hydregion is UU this generation. Yes; Fairy type hurts Hydregion badly; but I think the dex in general is trimmed enough that Hydregion's raw power alone will keep it in OU. Especially since a lot of fast pokemon are gone, so Base 98 is actually pretty brisk in the Galardex. Not award-winning, but you're outspeeding more than is outspeeding you. [There's also a fairly common trend in Galar regarding new pokemon; of pokemon getting slower when they evolve]

Now; I could be completely wrong and Hydregion could fall to UU. Especially with wider access to Close Combat. In which case it'll certainly be a top tier threat in the tier. Counters to it would likly depend on what else is in UU; especially regarding Fairy-types, not to mention what Fighting-types are in the tier when it comes to revenge-killing with Mach Punch.

Last edited:
I'm thinking maybe Grimmsnarl could be good?

I like to use a Bulk Up set since it's got immunities to Psychic and Dragon, so it can come in on something like Dragapult, and nail a Bulk-Up with Prankster. Spirit Break is also nice because it can lower the target's Sp. Attack, which complements Bulk Up nicely. A lot of teams I've played against on ladder are pretty vulnerable to Dark/Fairy STABs, especially after it D. Maxes.

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Crunch
- Drain Punch
- Spirit Break

This is just one set though. This thing gets a lot of moves, especially compared to a lot of other Pokemon - Thunder Wave, Sucker Punch, Power Whip, Taunt, Trick, the elemental Punches, Focus Blast, etc. You could easily run a Choice Ban, Scarf, Bulky Support, even a Nasty Plot set if you really want to. I don't think it's quite OU material since a lot of OU seems to be Rain Dance hyper-offense, but I could definitely see it doing well in one of the lower tiers, assuming Steel and Poison sweepers don't get too popular.

Last edited:
Gigantamax probably won't be much of an issue compared to regular Dynamax, the only effective difference is a different Max Move; with a different secondary effect to standard. And when the choice is 'Sunny Day or Fire+Grass Pledge DoT' I'm fairly sure people will take Sun; so G-Max Charizard would actually be a downgrade from D-Max Charizard.

Also I would be very surprised if Hydregion is UU this generation. Yes; Fairy type hurts Hydregion badly; but I think the dex in general is trimmed enough that Hydregion's raw power alone will keep it in OU. Especially since a lot of fast pokemon are gone, so Base 98 is actually pretty brisk in the Galardex. Not award-winning, but you're outspeeding more than is outspeeding you. [There's also a fairly common trend in Galar regarding new pokemon; of pokemon getting slower when they evolve]

Now; I could be completely wrong and Hydregion could fall to UU. Especially with wider access to Close Combat. In which case it'll certainly be a top tier threat in the tier. Counters to it would likly depend on what else is in UU; especially regarding Fairy-types, not to mention what Fighting-types are in the tier when it comes to revenge-killing with Mach Punch.
sry i meant dynamaxing. Also i dont know if its supposed to be there but if u dynamax u wont be locked into choiced items. also haxorus might be the UU dragon due to cc and first impresion

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
With Dexit wiping out nearly all of last gen's UU staples (and likely moving those that stayed up to OU), I'd expect this generation to be pretty unlike USUM. It'll feel pretty empty for me for a long time, but at the same time it'll be interesting seeing such a stark change due to the sheer lack of available mons compared to gen 7. I'm interested in seeing which old Pokemon will make a splash up in UU that were too outperformed earlier on, though I'd also like to touch on some of the new Pokemon that may join us this generation:

I think Duraludon has some potential as a tanky, powerful rocks setter. Dragon/Steel offers a TON of useful resistances and I'd expect the general shortage of either Fighting- or Ground-types to be appreciated as well. Its high Special Attack and solid STAB combination could definitely be promising alongside its great physical bulk, though it also has a pretty shallow coverage movepool and could definitely be hampered by its low special bulk. Regardless, I think it'll offer a lot of role compression between its offensive prowess, access to rocks, and ability to check some mons I could definitely see ending up in UU, like Indeedee, Heliolisk, and Escavalier. Its overall viability may rely on the structure of the meta, but I think it'll have at least something of a niche.

Polteaguist is a Pokemon that I think could easily become a UU mainstay. It has access to Shell Smash and a HUGE Special Attack stat that I think will both serve it well in being a great late-game cleaner. Its access to Stored Power further boosts its potency and will likely allow it to bust through stall teams, though its inability to dent Dark-types really at all is concerning. I'd imagine Will-O-Wisp presenting itself as a decent option to at least cripple some Dark-types we may come across, like Weavile, though I could also see it pulling off some shenanigans with Strength Sap or Self-Destruct in its fourth slot. Dark Pulse could also be an option if Indeedee ends up being alright. This thing's poor defense and iffy Speed could definitely make it less promising than I'd hope, but I still bet it sees some use given its tools.

Speaking of Indeedee, I think the more offensive male variant could shine in the tier thanks to its access to Psychic Surge. With Choice Scarf I could see it shredding some offenses, and the general lack of super fast mons makes 95 Speed seem more passable for sets like Choice Specs and maybe Calm Mind as well. Its sorta average stats do worry me a bit, though I think it could pull through under the right conditions, and even aside from its offensive presence Psychic Terrain is great support. With Shadow Ball, Dazzling Gleam, and Mystical Fire it should have workable coverage, and no more Pursuit means that every Psychic- and Ghost-type has a much easier time sticking around throughout any given match.

Inteleon is interesting to me. Its movepool is pretty shallow but it has nasty Special Attack and Speed stats. With Choice Specs I could see it doubling as a solid early- to mid-game breaker and late-game cleaner. Ice Beam and maybe Dark Pulse should give it decent coverage, and U-turn is never a bad move to have access to, especially with its Speed. I think it'll have a solid niche in the tier, though it'll definitely be held back by its inability to break waters (maybe this won't be too big an issue should Jellicent become one of the better choices?). Its defensive utility may also make it a little hard to justify in some scenarios, though it'll be fun to toy with.

Galarian Weezing is admittedly a Pokemon I have mixed feelings on. Defog is pretty limited in its distribution for probably a while yet, and checking some potentially good Pokemon in Sylveon, Mimikyu, and Flygon should serve it well. Unfortunately I think it'll be hard for it to really capitalize on that 4x resistance to Fighting, since I'd expect some of the tier's better Fighting-types to be Lucario, Toxicroak, and Bewear, who all seem decently equipped to break past it. Galarian Rapidash could also be a solid Pokemon in the tier, which would further complicate Weezing's ability to check some Pokemon its typing should allow it to.

In addition to those, I'd expect some Pokemon that may not have shined this past generation to make some names for themselves again in UU this time around. Sorry for the long post, and I'll try keeping this portion short, but here are my opinions on some older mons I think could be potent:

Without Scizor around to give these two massive opportunity cost, I think they should have ample opportunity to shine in this gen's UU. Escavalier excites me SO much. It was such a fun tank in ORAS and should have excellent offensive and defensive potency, especially given how cut down access to Knock Off has become. I think between a tank set with Leftovers, Choice Band, and maybe Assault Vest and SD RestTalk it could have a decent amount of options at its disposal and be a very versatile and important threat overall. Durant could also be a solid presence, especially given its access to First Impression, though I'll reserve excitement for how broken dynamaxing sets could be because BAN DYNAMAX.

I'd expect these guys to become the go-to Fighting-types of the metagame. Lucario is already pretty great in USUM but losing its biggest competitors in Infernape, Cobalion, and Terrakion should only decrease its opportunity cost and make it a real household name, especially considering its slightly shabby Speed may not be as large a problem. Toxicroak has some potential in a metagame that seems it could favor the likes of Sylveon, Milotic, and Inteleon. It could run into some issues but again the lack of competition should certainly help. Bewear has pretty consistently hovered the gen 7 vr's lower B area, largely due to competition, so I think the higher demand for Fighting-types should certainly help, as well as the possible presences of some Pokemon it could check quite convincingly, like Escav and Weavile.

Lumping these Fire-types together since, like a lot of the other stuff here, I think their lack of competition compared to gen 7 should help them a lot. Ninetales could prove a solid wallbreaker with Drought + Nasty Plot, while I'd also imagine the lack of Drought abusers available should prevent the ability from getting banned. Salazzle will benefit a fair deal from Infernape being gone, though I also think it can capitalize on a lot of potentially fearsome threats in the meta, like the aforementioned Lucario, Toxicroak, Escav, and Durant. Both of them lack the defensive utility Infernape's typing at least yielded it, though we'll just have to wait and see how the metagame rewards their specific traits.

Sorry this post was so long! I have even more thoughts swirling around but figured they'd have to wait for another essay LOL. Thanks for bearing with this post if you made it all the way through :bloblul: I'll be scared to enter a gen without my precious Infernape but I'm intrigued to see if any of the predictions we've seen in the thread will come true. Let's hope for a fun gen regardless of some of our early preconceptions! Also free Heliolisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)