SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I was held to the belief that LGPE mons were able to be transfered to SwSh due to PH, but that would mean all gen 1 mons are confirmed, which doesn't seem to be the case. But that rises the question: What about pokemon home? if its coming out in 2020 and you cant transfer to swsh (from lgpe), why would it be released in 2020?
Because GameFreak is bad at planning. It's why we don't have a Pokemon Z because they forgot about the 10th Anniversary so decided to push the next gen. It's why Bank wasn't released until a few months after XY, and how Home is now essentially replacing Bank because they didn't think ahead to make Bank adaptable to their constantly changing whims (and thus we should prepare for a few generation lockouts once they decide they no longer want to support Bank).

Anyway, I'm actually quite surprised that not all Kanto mons and Alola mons (including Legendaries, Mythicals & Ultra Beasts) are making it to Galar.

Kanto because LGPE was the most recent compatible Pokemon game. While SwSh's lighting and textures are different from LGPE it would be a simple adjustment and the models are all their on the Switch console. Plus LGPE would have brought in a lot of new players, hence the bonus Pikachu & Eevee if you have LGPE save files, but those players would also want to bring in the other Pokemon they caught and trained in LGPE (especially the popular ones or ones they were able to easily Shiny chain for).

Alola because USUM (and SM) were the previous core series titles before SwSh. Not many veteran players made the jump to LGPE because of how stripped down it was and marketed. And they could easily just keep any Legendaries & the Ultra Beasts out of the regional Galar Dex if they don't want to tax the player on getting them for dex completion.

It makes me wonder who were they trying to appeal to with the choices of the dex cut? So many fan favorites were cut, some choices they made are either not viable or OP in competitive formats (as far as I've read), not all the Pokemon introduced/prominently featured the last two titles made it in... heck, I don't think they even picked Pokemon based on GF's favorites because if that was the case no way Masuda would have them leave out Psyduck! It now makes me REALLY want to know what the discussions were like to include/exclude what Pokemon because I'm seeing little rhyme and reason. Only thing I can think of is they just picked Pokemon based on "which Pokemon would appear in this location" and left it at that, maybe also including some Pokemon because they specifically wanted certain characters (new and cameo) to have them.

Well my next few posts are going to possibly be big, gonna look through the leaked Pokemon to see if I have anything to say about them, look through the list of previous gen Pokemon included/excluded, looked though MIA Abilities that Ironmage gathered, and see what I could bring up about MIA Moves.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Now that seemingly everything aside from possibly a few remaining Gigantamax forms are known, lemme ask again. Have your favorite new Pokemon and Galarian forms changed with these last few reveals?

My favorite Galarian forms haven't changed a whole lot, but Runerigus is pretty cool. As for favorite new mon, I love Appletun, he is now my son. Grass/Dragon apple pie mon is so funny and cute-looking, can't wait to have him play with the Dramps in Pokemon Camp

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Kanto - 54 (48 original, 6 regional variants)
Johto - 34 (26 original, 5 cross-gen evolutions, 2 cross-gen pre-evolutions, 1 regional variant)
Hoenn - 42 (39 original, 2 regional variants, 1 cross-gen pre-evolution)
Sinnoh - 38 (23 original, 10 cross-gen evolutions, 5 cross-gen pre-evolutions)
Unova - 85 (81 original, 4 regional variants)
Kalos - 32 (31 original, 1 cross-gen evolution)
Alola - 36 (all original)
Galar - 81 (76 original, 5 cross-gen evolutions)
Total - 402

Percentages (Rounded down, nearest tenth for overall Galar Dex %)
Kanto - 35% of Kanto mons, 13.3% of Galar dex
Johto - 34% of Johto mons, 8.5% of Galar dex
Hoenn - 31% of Hoenn mons, 10.4% of Galar dex
Sinnoh - 35% of Sinnoh mons, 9.5% of Galar dex
Unova - 54% of Unova mons, 21.1% of Galar dex
Kalos - 45% of Kalos mons, 8% of Galar dex
Alola - 41% of Alola mons, 9% of Galar dex
Galar - 20.1% of Galar dex
I expected Kanto to at least have more returning mons than the amount of new Galar Pokémon or at least have the most returning Pokémon. I was dead wrong when it turns out that it is Unova, with a big margin between it and Kanto by 7,8% more for Unova in Galar dex difference. Between Kanto and Hoenn, it's only 2,9% more from Kanto in Galar dex by comparison.

While the G-Max is obviously Kanto biased among returning Pokémon, this isn't so bad in the case of Regional Variants; Kanto do have the most lines for Regional Variants, that's to be expected, but it's nowhere as bad as the Gigantamax situation.

For comparison, there's only five Galarian Gen 1 Pokémon lines this time, while Gen 5 have three Galarian Variant lines. Gen 2 and 3 only had one, but both have a full on Regional Evo.

And for a first, Yamask is the first Gen 5 Pokémon to have a Cross-Generational Evolution, in the form of Runerigus via Galarian Yamask. This one's a split evo by technicality since Cofagrigus can be obtained via transfer.

Now here's a curiosity; there's no Galarian Form for any Gen 4 Pokémon, which is especially odd as Unova, the Generation after it, have three lines of Galarian Variants. And Mime Jr. doesn't get the Galarian treatment, but of course it will evolve into Galarian Mr. Mime in Galar, like how Pikachu, Cubone and Exeggute don't have Alolan Forms but do evolve into Alolan Raichu, Alolan Marowak and Alolan Exeggutor respectively in the Alola region.

And I saw a post earlier that many Pokémon that weren't in the Galar dex were found in the Sinnoh dex (not all of them, though). Something's really up... unless if there's no Gen 4 remake, then this will slaps in a bad way.
Now that seemingly everything aside from possibly a few remaining Gigantamax forms are known, lemme ask again. Have your favorite new Pokemon and Galarian forms changed with these last few reveals?

My favorite Galarian forms haven't changed a whole lot, but Runerigus is pretty cool. As for favorite new mon, I love Appletun, he is now my son. Grass/Dragon apple pie mon is so funny and cute-looking, can't wait to have him play with the Dramps in Pokemon Camp
None of my opinions changed, but I really appreciate Runerigus as a widely different take from Cofagrigus, and for also being the very first Cross-Gen Evo for Gen 5 (only via Galarian Yamask, for granted).

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Hmm, wait a minute. Persian's right after Perserker in the dex. Does this mean Galarian Persian or just that Kanto and Galarian Meowth both exist in the dex?
I think that's a similar situation with Runerigus; Cofagrigus is also after Runerigus's Pokédex entry, but is only normal Cofagrigus. I believe this will be the same for Persian's case.

No, look at this Meowth, it's Super B.

I was curious how many of the weather setters will get into GalarDex. Of course we don´t know yet about abilities of the new mons, but from the returning ones:

Sun: Ninetales, Torkoal (lost Groudy and MegaZardY)
Rain: Pelipper (lost Kyogre and Politoed)
Sandstorm: TTar, Gigalith, didn´t lose anyone if I remember correctly
Hail: Abomasnow (lost probably AlolaTales)

So, how do you think weather will fare next gen? I am mainly doubles and VGC player, so I don´t have much experience in singles format. But we also lost a lot of mons, who profitted from weather. Sun lost for example Venusaur, Rain Kingdra.

Of course all this presumes that abilities of old mons won´t change.

Just to remind two things:
1) Once we had designs like this, and now we have designs like that;
2) The first one is not a dragon-type, but the second one is
#random_facts

View attachment 204029View attachment 204032
I find it really interesting how every single time anyone makes the comparison of "this is a Dragon-Type, this isn't" it's ALWAYS with a Gen 1 Pokémon.

I'm pretty sure that's because of the way the type was handled back then, where it was exclusive to the strongest non-legendary Pokémon in the entire game. It was kind of a way of promoting Dragonite further, as in "look at this really powerful Pokémon, it takes a lot of effort to raise, but it has really high stats and even a Type of its own".

Meanwhile, nowadays it's much more simmilar to the other types, where it is given to a lot of Pokémon that simply resemble a reptilian (like how Bug is given to insect-like Pokémon). It stopped becoming a rare and special type in exchange of being much more accesible, giving the player more ways of making their teams more varied.

And you can see this a lot with Galar's new Pokémon, we've got plenty of really varied and interesting Dragon-Types (a metal cannon, a flying ghost catapult thing, an apple, these fossil fellas), and I honestly really appreciate that.

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
I find it hilarious how Toxapex + Corviknight covers 90% of the dex. If Regenerator Eldegoss turns out to gave good defensive stats, add that to the mix and you have your perfect Balance backbone of the gen. Or just add Ferro, Zone's gone anyway

Last edited:

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
View attachment 204028

If this is true then is just a major disappointment. The CHAMPION BATTLE has 4 mons only...
Unless it's restless, it'll be truly hilarious to see the sods that complained about XY being too easy to be handed a 4-mon battle while afaik FOR NOW it's impossible to turn off the exp. share. This is either an exploration game (which I don't mind as that's why I play Pokémon for starters and I really abhor Ohmori's writing) or a preparation game (i.e. you only do stuff for VGC and Battle Spot or battle facility, which I don't do). Since the designs are mostly awful and the ost is mediocre so far, the exploration aspect is the only thing that I use to justify wasting $90 on a copy of Sword, and I can see they have potential to deliver an unique experience. I just want to know how they'll fuck it up however.

Also remember the idiocy of Gen 7's island scans and ultra portals. Maybe there are other mons, but they aren't in the dex. How that would affect the semantics of "only galar dex mons allowed to be transferred" will need the Home information first.

Also friendship ended with moth, noot noot is my new best friend. Will post my reaction on all the ones I haven't talked about soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)