Format Discussion Pokemon Sword & Shield Random Battle Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a stall water absorb quagsire get one shot by a sweeper earlier today. Isn't unaware supposed to be the standard ability? (I definitely should've looked over the ability before sending out but I kinda assumed)

Had a stall water absorb quagsire get one shot by a sweeper earlier today. Isn't unaware supposed to be the standard ability? (I definitely should've looked over the ability before sending out but I kinda assumed)
Quagsire can be either water absorb or unaware. It’s unaware most of the time, but it being water absorb sometimes is intended since it adds an element of uncertainty

:pikachu: Why does Cap-Pikachu exist? If it's because the cap is cool, then I understand but please also make a normal variant. Normal pikachu is slightly better because it is able to run lightning rod which is much more useful then static. As a trade-off it can (but preferably not) be Gigantamax Pikachu which gives it access to G-Max Volt Crash allowing it to paralyze faster threats, and punish switchins that plan to resist and tank it's attack (Although that would mean Gigantamax Pikachu would have to take a hit, which with it's bulk is pretty hard to do, even in G-Max form) Looks like Cap-Pikachu does have lightning rod in rands disregard this.

:toxtricity-gmax: Can we also free Toxtricity-Lowkey-Gmax? Toxtricity-Lowkey doesn't have shift gear unlike it's brother and thus it's in a pretty bad speed tier. Sure, Max-Strike exists, but if you use Max-Strike, you forgo your powerful stab attacks. Gmax Stun-Shock provides a 50% chance to paralyze the target which can be crucial, as it would allow Toxtricity to get another attack in. And even if it doesn't paralyze the opponent, it's then guaranteed to poison the opponent, which adds some good chip damage. I won't lie the terrain provided from Max Lightning does give a good consistent damage boost, and so I do believe that regular Toxtricity should exist. However, it should also be noted that if you need to boost your attack power, max ooze can also be used on clean KOs. (Which is actually better than electric terrain since it boosts all attacks by 1.5 instead of 1.3 for electric types)

:shiftry: I think Shiftry would also like Leafblade and Knock-off added to the movepool of it's defog set. It doesn't need a full physical set, since special shiftry gets max-flare chlorophyll. However mixed/physical defog, is much better than special defog. (Considering shiftry has a higher attacking stat)

Last edited:
Sticky Webs is stupid to play against. Often you have no hazard removal and they go up turn 1 or 2 and you just instantly lose. I get that randbats are supposed to be broken wild dumb fun but just getting smashed by a single button click with absolutely zero countermeasures is not fun. Speed is incredibly important in Randbats and watching someone just click Sticky Webs once and instantly losing isn't a good gameplay mechanic.

Either increase the prevalence of Defog / Spin or please cut down on the Sticky Web spam lol. I swear half of games involve Sticky Web. My most recent game was two Galvantulas leading off against each other. Guess what they both immediately clicked?

Sticky Webs is stupid to play against. Often you have no hazard removal and they go up turn 1 or 2 and you just instantly lose. I get that randbats are supposed to be broken wild dumb fun but just getting smashed by a single button click with absolutely zero countermeasures is not fun. Speed is incredibly important in Randbats and watching someone just click Sticky Webs once and instantly losing isn't a good gameplay mechanic.

Either increase the prevalence of Defog / Spin or please cut down on the Sticky Web spam lol. I swear half of games involve Sticky Web. My most recent game was two Galvantulas leading off against each other. Guess what they both immediately clicked?
No. Sticky Web is far from a guaranteed win.

In addition to Defog and Rapid Spin, Heavy-Duty Boots are quite common.

Blaziken should NOT be level 80, especially when it can hold a life orb. It can max knuckle while boosting speed, and has knock off for coverage. On the other hand, "ubers" like Necrozma Dawn Wings, whose Moongeist Beam does a pathetic 22% to vaporeon, are level 72. Blaziken, like level 72 Kyogre, was an uber in previous gens, so I really don't see why it should be level 80.

I don't think Carracosta should have Heavy Duty Boots. Protecting Sturdy isn't a good enough reason to lower your defenses after Shell Smash, especially when it's still outsped by a lot of things even after the +2 boost

I don't think Carracosta should have Heavy Duty Boots. Protecting Sturdy isn't a good enough reason to lower your defenses after Shell Smash, especially when it's still outsped by a lot of things even after the +2 boost
I think the issue is Sturdy Carracosta. Solid Rock has generally been used competitively, and in Dynamax meta I'd argue Swift Swim is its best ability. But yeah, I'll fix.

For the Sand Rush set of Dracovish, Stone Edge could be a good addition. Double speed during dynamax via Max Rockfall.

A rock-type move would allow it to hit Araquanid, Arctovish, Volcanion, the Kyurems, Gyarados, Mantine, Cramorant and etc..

This obviously sacrifices some power you get in Strong Jaw (1.5x) + Fishous Rend, but rcalc mentions the ability Sand Rush exists already, so I'm proposing it for sets with Sand Rush only.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
For the Sand Rush set of Dracovish, Stone Edge could be a good addition. Double speed during dynamax via Max Rockfall.

A rock-type move would allow it to hit Araquanid, Arctovish, Volcanion, the Kyurems, Gyarados, Mantine, Cramorant and etc..

This obviously sacrifices some power you get in Strong Jaw (1.5x) + Fishous Rend, but rcalc mentions the ability Sand Rush exists already, so I'm proposing it for sets with Sand Rush only.
a) not possible; abilities are generated after moves

b) sand rush only generates if a sand stream pokemon was previously generated earlier on the team. Sand Rush accounts for roughly 2% of dracovish.

Regirock shouldn't get Rock Slide in singles. Most mons that get both rock slide and Stone Edge get Stone Edge exclusively in rands, and for good reason. Stone Edge is 1.33x stronger, while being .88x as accurate. On average, Stone Edge is ~1.2x stronger. Rock Slide misses out on a lot of KOs and 2HKOs that Stone Edge could get after setup, and Regirock rarely gets to take advantage of Rock Slide's flinch chance cause of its abysmal speed (and reliance on Curse for setup).

Rock Slide may be more useful against mons you're pretty much guaranteed to kill (4x effectives, assuming they don't dyna or switch), but that's the only big upside I can think of. It's also not a very common scenario.

Is there a rationale behind lum berry on physical setup attackers now? I'm not talking about the Outrage + Dragon Dance Pokémon, since I just got a Leafeon and a Drapion with Lum Berry. I assume these are not the only ones, since it's the first time I noticed that being a thing.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Is there a rationale behind lum berry on physical setup attackers now? I'm not talking about the Outrage + Dragon Dance Pokémon, since I just got a Leafeon and a Drapion with Lum Berry. I assume these are not the only ones, since it's the first time I noticed that being a thing.
Lum Berry is generated over Leftovers on every Swords Dance and Dragon Dance user now. The broad scope of this is unintentional.

I think lyranroc dusk should always have close combat in it’s moveset as it is just as strong or maybe stronger than stone edge and you don’t need to worry about missing

I think lyranroc dusk should always have close combat in it’s moveset as it is just as strong or maybe stronger than stone edge and you don’t need to worry about missing
Yeah the base power of a Tough Claws CC (160 iirc) is even stronger than a STAB Stone Edge (150), and you'll always have Accelerock for STAB anyways. Not to mention the fantastic synergy Fighting has with Rock. You'll basically never want to NOT run CC on Lycanroc lol.

Some defensive mons like Pincurching are getting Focus Sash. IDK how the current treshold for Sash is being coded, but the moveset and stat distribution should be taken into account so this doesn't keep happening.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Community Leader
Some defensive mons like Pincurching are getting Focus Sash. IDK how the current treshold for Sash is being coded, but the moveset and stat distribution should be taken into account so this doesn't keep happening.
Sash Pincurchin is fine because it's a slow, not that bulky hazard setter and wallbreaker that would like to be able to at least get one hazard or Rising Voltage nuke off. It's not a defensive Pokemon. However, Focus Sash on Pokemon like Vileplume is known. It's a tough issue to fix so don't necessarily expect it to be repaired swiftly.

It's definitely bulky enough that most attacks won't be OHKO'ing it unless the opponent starts to setup, in which case it would do very well to switch out to something that can actually manage the setup sweeper, that's why I don't find the sash valuable.

Also, even with Rising Voltage it doesn't hit that hard - I preferred the Discharge set, which while not hitting quite as hard (half as powerful) provided valuable utility which combined very well with its moveset of spikes/t-spikes. Then again, I would like a lot if it also got scald but no t-spikes to spam status.

Remove Grassy Seed from Rillaboom/Rillaboom-Gmax if Rillaboom is lead. Rationale: No other pokemon that I know have a consumable that is used right when its put on battle. As lead, the chance of enemy having a counter is high and so you'll often be forced back and have a itemless pokemon for the rest of game without the enemy actually having to force it (Knock Off/Trick/Pickpocket/etc).

Rework Comfey set to remove Leech Seed and add Toxic. Leech Seed is inferior to Toxic as source of indirect damage in most cases: Poison most common second type is Grass, so for these you are losing anyways ; most Poison types without Grass can do significant damage to Comfey anyways and many can setup or put Toxic on switch-in, making Leech Seed less effective ; only other type that is immune to Poison is Steel and same idea applies.

Rework Comfey set to remove Dazzling Gleam and put Draining Kiss. Comfey has a bad SpAtk and it is unlikely to be beating things by attacking with a 80 bp no secondary effect move ; Draining Kiss allows Comfey to recover from some sources of secondary damage and priority allows it to beat enemy mons that have setup and are on low HP ; Draining Kiss is (with Triage) at +3 priority and 50 bp while many priority moves are +1 and 40 bp. Some people have argued that Draining Kiss low damage fails to OHKO even mons taking 4x from Fairy - (Dark/Dragon, Dark/Fighting, Dragon/Fighting) : While this is true, this is almost irrelevant because there are only 5 mons that have this typing on randbats right now (Pangoro, Scrafty, Guzzlord, Kommo-o, Urshifu), and from these, only Pangoro and Urshifu wins 1v1 vs Comfey (Pangoro: 80% of time as Gunk Shot has 80% accuracy, Urshifu only wins if it flinches with Iron Head or if its Banded and Comfey takes SR damage) ; Guzzlord, Kommo-o and Scrafty all fail to OHKO Comfey, even if at +1/banded, and are unable to setup vs DKiss Comfey.

Add Throat Spray + Boomburst as possible item/moveset for Noivern. 2 Boomburst with Throat Spray do more damage than 2 Boomburst with Life Orb ; also, it helps at faking a possible Choice item as there is no recoil if you use Flamethrower/U-Turn/Draco Meteor.

Add Sandaconda-Gmax. Toxic+Rest+G-Max Sandblast works similar to Azumarill and it allows for regular Sandaconda to be focused more as bulky offense instead of utility. Something similar to Blastoise having a regular version focused on setup and Blastoise-Gmax being focused on utility and tanking.

Remove Shift Gear from Genesect if it has U-Turn. Due to moveset rules, a pokemon needs to have at least one STAB, so you can get a set of Shift Gear/U-Turn/Extremespeed/Blaze Kick. It seems counterproductive to have a setup move but your only STAB force you to switch.

Hi, thank you for your inquiries.

Rework Comfey set to remove Dazzling Gleam and put Draining Kiss. Comfey has a bad SpAtk and it is unlikely to be beating things by attacking with a 80 bp no secondary effect move ; Draining Kiss allows Comfey to recover from some sources of secondary damage and priority allows it to beat enemy mons that have setup and are on low HP ; Draining Kiss is (with Triage) at +3 priority and 50 bp while many priority moves are +1 and 40 bp. Some people have argued that Draining Kiss low damage fails to OHKO even mons taking 4x from Fairy - (Dark/Dragon, Dark/Fighting, Dragon/Fighting) : While this is true, this is almost irrelevant because there are only 5 mons that have this typing on randbats right now (Pangoro, Scrafty, Guzzlord, Kommo-o, Urshifu), and from these, only Pangoro and Urshifu wins 1v1 vs Comfey (Pangoro: 80% of time as Gunk Shot has 80% accuracy, Urshifu only wins if it flinches with Iron Head or if its Banded and Comfey takes SR damage) ; Guzzlord, Kommo-o and Scrafty all fail to OHKO Comfey, even if at +1/banded, and are unable to setup vs DKiss Comfey.
Re: Draining Kiss Comfey - this is not going to happen because it was ultimately decided that the damage output is too low and generally doesn't need/benefit from a Triage-boosted weak-damaging attack. Dazzling Gleam will stay on Comfey as it's stronger STAB.

As for Toxic over Leech Seed, I wasn't sure what the consensus was. Personally, I think that since Comfey cannot damage or cripple steel types or poison types (hence why it runs Leech Seed) whatsoever, Toxic would be ineffective, forcing it to switch out in any case vs either type.

Add Throat Spray + Boomburst as possible item/moveset for Noivern. 2 Boomburst with Throat Spray do more damage than 2 Boomburst with Life Orb ; also, it helps at faking a possible Choice item as there is no recoil if you use Flamethrower/U-Turn/Draco Meteor.
Re: Throat Spray Noivern - I do not think that relying on a non-stab move to boost Special Stat is worth running Throat Spray over Heavy Duty Boots, which Noivern, among many Pokemon, need to switch in on Stealth Rock. Furthermore, I'm not sure the boost is that big of a deal when considering having to run anything over HDB for the sole purpose of boosting Special Attack.

Add Sandaconda-Gmax. Toxic+Rest+G-Max Sandblast works similar to Azumarill and it allows for regular Sandaconda to be focused more as bulky offense instead of utility. Something similar to Blastoise having a regular version focused on setup and Blastoise-Gmax being focused on utility and tanking.
Re: Gigantamax Sandaconda - I agreed with you on this idea and I proposed this idea to The Immortal. Unfortunately, this won't work from a code standpoint. Either way, Sandaconda isn't losing much because getting Special Defense boosts are useful.

Remove Shift Gear from Genesect if it has U-Turn. Due to moveset rules, a pokemon needs to have at least one STAB, so you can get a set of Shift Gear/U-Turn/Extremespeed/Blaze Kick. It seems counterproductive to have a setup move but your only STAB force you to switch.
Re: Shift Gear + U-turn Genesect - This will not change - no point in trying to get this fixed. I'm assuming this is not feasible from a code standpoint.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)