Pokemon VGC 2010 DATES / rules announced for the US!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd never use a luck-based team.

Those who live by the sword die by the sword: it fits perfectly.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
So, looks like the Japanese are using the auto-level to their advantage. Maybe I missed it, but, how does everyone think the auto-level feature will change the VGC metagame? Personally, there were so many pokes I just had to strike off the "usable" list last year because they learned the attacks I needed/wanted at say, L51 or higher.

What new useful moves will be available now? What new combos could arise to replace old combos?

I just RNG'd a Timid Dialga and Palkia, and somehow didn't realize that they both came at L70, so this thought just crushed* my mind...

*blindside

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
So, looks like the Japanese are using the auto-level to their advantage. Maybe I missed it, but, how does everyone think the auto-level feature will change the VGC metagame? Personally, there were so many pokes I just had to strike off the "usable" list last year because they learned the attacks I needed/wanted at say, L51 or higher.

What new useful moves will be available now? What new combos could arise to replace old combos?

I just RNG'd a Timid Dialga and Palkia, and somehow didn't realize that they both came at L70, so this thought just crushed* my mind...

*blindside
In the case of the Ubers, not much of an impact, since they still get access to every move. However, the HG/SS Dialga & Palkia learn every move before level 50 (and probably Gira, but I don't have one at the moment.)

For everything else - who knows? New Pokemon will certainly see some use, but since they can be checked by Ubers, hard to say. The teams that do use Ubers will build around them.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
In the case of the Ubers, not much of an impact, since they still get access to every move. However, the HG/SS Dialga & Palkia learn every move before level 50 (and probably Gira, but I don't have one at the moment.)

For everything else - who knows? New Pokemon will certainly see some use, but since they can be checked by Ubers, hard to say. The teams that do use Ubers will build around them.
Oh, yeah, Uubers probably won't receive much of an impact, but some "normal" pokes now get access to great moves! For example Entei gets Eruption, which is why I went with typhlosion last year (bad bad example, but an example none the less).

Well also the fact that Tyranitar is no longer banned, making SS a more potential weather and that Lucario learns Extremespeed at level 51, although I doubt many people even use Lucario, and I wouldn't run Extremespeed on mine over Ice Punch... if I ever get it...

If I could go, I would try to counter top threats. Froslass is awesome. Immune to extremespeed is a great boost, but bulletpunch...
Also, Ice=Kills A Lot. Maybe someone could fit in a Golduck to help with an anti-weather theme. Doubles allow many viable strategies such as helping hand. A helping-handed Blizzard from Froslass has a BP of 240, not counting the hits-more-than-1-pokemon reduction. I wouldn't be surprised by something like foresight or oder sleuth or defog or gravity to help with evasion-ers.
I SO WISH I COULD GO TO A TOURNAMENT.

Are legally hacked pokémon allowed at these events? Just getting started at this, but I am considering all options and would simply like to know, if I have to I'll RNG the pokémon I want, but if legal hacks are usable I might swing in favour of the easier route... >.>
Not saying I will, but having all the information would help me decide on what way to obtain my pokémon!

They are (though they have to be really, really clean hacks) though I wouldn't use them. It's pretty much a hollow victory: half of the coolness is winning it with your own pokémon you caught and trained yourself.

drcossack

Are legally hacked pokémon allowed at these events? Just getting started at this, but I am considering all options and would simply like to know, if I have to I'll RNG the pokémon I want, but if legal hacks are usable I might swing in favour of the easier route... >.>
Not saying I will, but having all the information would help me decide on what way to obtain my pokémon!
They are (though they have to be really, really clean hacks) though I wouldn't use them. It's pretty much a hollow victory: half of the coolness is winning it with your own pokémon you caught and trained yourself.
Pretty much what Zog said, but I disagree with the hollow victory part of it. Even if you hack them, you have to know how to use them. Whether you've RNG'ed, bred, or hacked your team doesn't mean anything if you're not comfortable with them.

I wouldn't try it, they check for hacks and you will get disqualified if you are caught. I remember in the 2008 someone from one of the regionals (I forgot which one) was caught with hacked pokemon and was instantly DQed. That person made it to the final 8 too, and I don't think it was a pokemon he/she used that was hacked. Not only did that suck for that person, it sucked for the people he/she beat because they were knocked someone who broke the rules.

Point is they don't care if its a "legal" hack (oximoron IMO), hacking=cheating and no one likes a cheater. RNG abuse on the other hand doesn't invovle hacking (unless you hacked to find your secret ID). Would they consider it cheating, maybe, but they really can't prove it.

drcossack

I wouldn't try it, they check for hacks and you will get disqualified if you are caught. I remember in the 2008 someone from one of the regionals (I forgot which one) was caught with hacked pokemon and was instantly DQed. That person made it to the final 8 too, and I don't think it was a pokemon he/she used that was hacked. Not only did that suck for that person, it sucked for the people he/she beat because they were knocked someone who broke the rules.

Point is they don't care if its a "legal" hack (oximoron IMO), hacking=cheating and no one likes a cheater. RNG abuse on the other hand doesn't invovle hacking (unless you hacked to find your secret ID). Would they consider it cheating, maybe, but they really can't prove it.
legal is probably the wrong word, legitimate maybe. Personally, hacking is no big deal - it can't serve as a substitute for a person's skill. If you're careful enough, the fact that you hacked will be undetectable.

Anyway, I (and others, I'm sure) would prefer that this doesn't turn into a discussion of the pros and cons of hacking. The ones who do will, and the ones that don't won't.

"Legal = Possible to get legitimately" and "Legitimate = Obtained without the use of external devices" btw.

I'll just be using some hacks until the proper rules are announced- think of it as like using substitute cards in the TCG. I'm waiting until I have a finalised team design before I get the rest of my planned squad. And we never know, the ubers rule might not even come to pass outside of Japan. And while I'd actually prefer ubers to stay out now because I discovered a scorcher of a 2009 VGC team, I wouldn't be all too bothered if we had ubers too.

I wasn't trying to shift the conversation, everyone posted while I was typing my response (it will probably happen again). I was just explaining why its not worth it to hack when you have plenty of time to do it right. BTW I don't care how good you are if you hacked to get your pokemon you cheated. Also nintendos rules are different from smogons rules, as far as hacks go, thats all I'm saying.

On something completely different, I wonder how TPCi will handle the entry method this year. Last year was a bad. The year before I qualified through the online test, what was wrong with that? Anyway, if they do the same lottery system I won't even go if its more than 2 hours away from me.

It seems like allowing such threats as Kyogre and Mewtwo, but disallowing Jirachi, Celebi, Phione, and the like is a bit ridiculous. I mean, that's allowing some of the most powerful ubers while restricting some OUs... :/

Overall, though, I'm alright with it.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
It seems like allowing such threats as Kyogre and Mewtwo, but disallowing Jirachi, Celebi, Phione, and the like is a bit ridiculous. I mean, that's allowing some of the most powerful ubers while restricting some OUs... :/

Overall, though, I'm alright with it.
It's just a matter of "we want everyone to have access to the same pokemon and don't want to screw you over if you couldn't go to an event to get a pokemon."

Edit: I won. I'm the best yeah!

It's nothing to do with them being too powerful. It's because they're event Pokémon, that's all.

Just because it's banned doesn't mean it's because TCPI think it's overpowered. :P

Edit: Lol beaten by 5 seconds.

You fail to realize that TPCi doesn't really care about "OUs" or whatever, they dont go by smogon's tiers(and why should they? lol). For this year's tournament in Japan, they basically go by what is an event pokemon and what is not; Kyogre/Groudon/Palkia/etc are available ingame in Platinum and HG/SS, so they allow two max; Celebi/Jirachi/etc aren't readily available ingame so they ban them. Simple as that. ;)

edit = so, apparently I am a slow poster...... >_>

Giratina-o should be banned too... You can't the grisaceous orb without the movie Arceus...
Good point actually.

Something that's been concerning me, also: if next year follows the suit of this year, Europe will be using Platinum, which means the old lvl50 limit...

Would it be possible for anyone to ask TCPI if they're timing the European nationals to after the release of HG/SS? Because it's a pretty important detail really.

It's just a matter of "we want everyone to have access to the same pokemon and don't want to screw you over if you couldn't go to an event to get a pokemon."

Edit: I won. I'm the best yeah!
It's nothing to do with them being too powerful. It's because they're event Pokémon, that's all.

Just because it's banned doesn't mean it's because TCPI think it's overpowered. :P

Edit: Lol beaten by 5 seconds.
You fail to realize that TPCi doesn't really care about "OUs" or whatever, they dont go by smogon's tiers(and why should they? lol). For this year's tournament in Japan, they basically go by what is an event pokemon and what is not; Kyogre/Groudon/Palkia/etc are available ingame in Platinum and HG/SS, so they allow two max; Celebi/Jirachi/etc aren't readily available ingame so they ban them. Simple as that. ;)

edit = so, apparently I am a slow poster...... >_>
I don't fail to realize that, actually. I know that full well. However, it seems to me that they should at least pay some attention to what's overpowered and what isn't, especially in that respect. And why shouldn't people that get these event Pokémon be allowed to use them, especially when there are far more potent threats left unchecked?

I don't fail to realize that, actually. I know that full well. However, it seems to me that they should at least pay some attention to what's overpowered and what isn't, especially in that respect. And why shouldn't people that get these event Pokémon be allowed to use them, especially when there are far more potent threats left unchecked?
I agree with you 100% Politoed, TPCi should definitely pay attention to sites such as Smogon to determine the rules, and the Pokémon that should be eligible to play. I also think that event Pokémon should be allowed to play, what's the point of having them, if you aren't allowed to use them?

Also, can anyone help me with a good Pokémon for taking out Dialga? Right now it really kills my team >.<

drcossack

I agree with you 100% Politoed, TPCi should definitely pay attention to sites such as Smogon to determine the rules, and the Pokémon that should be eligible to play. I also think that event Pokémon should be allowed to play, what's the point of having them, if you aren't allowed to use them?

Also, can anyone help me with a good Pokémon for taking out Dialga? Right now it really kills my team >.<
Anything with Earthquake.

well it's TCPi, I doubt they could really care less about what's overpowered or not, then again there's that guy out there trying to keep Ubers out of the tournament... Mike was it? lol Dialga's a pain :/, lets see if I can't set up WiFi for PBR soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)