Post your searing hot takes

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
this whole idea of "keeping cultures pure because ours is superior" is massively dumb seeing as the cultures of most first world countries, or really any countries, are already a massive melting pot of other cultures. As a brit, the majority of things I take for granted- even something as british as drinking tea- have their roots in other cultures that made their way over here (we took most of them by force). trying to argue about cultural purity without keeping this in mind is ignorant, but i guess you're all gonna do it anyway. basically, what i'm trying to say is- as we're already the result of mixing cultures, why is it suddenly a good thing to stop mixing now and lose out on a more vibrant society? a response that doesn't consist of "other cultures/races are objectively inferior because reasons" would be appreciated- not a big fan of racism tbh.

edit: hot take that lgpe is better competitively than casually

Last edited:

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
this whole idea of "keeping cultures pure because ours is superior" is massively dumb seeing as the cultures of most first world countries, or really any countries, are already a massive melting pot of other cultures.
So by following this logic, does this make Cultural appropriation okay?

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
So by following this logic, does this make Cultural appropriation okay?
Stealing from other cultures being okay is an entirely different matter, and isn't a conclusion that can be derived from my statement in the slightest without some serious whataboutery- allowing cultures to healthily thrive amongst our own rather than being subdued due to some baseless sense of superiority is what I'm promoting.

Stealing from other cultures being okay is an entirely different matter, and isn't a conclusion that can be derived from my statement in the slightest without some serious whataboutery- allowing cultures to healthily thrive amongst our own rather than being subdued due to some baseless sense of superiority is what I'm promoting.
didn't you say the British just took all the things you like from other cultures?

• Haha
Reactions: BP

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Canon in fictional universes should be decided by the fans if the creator of the fictional universe is either dead or no longer in control of the intellectual property in question.

Joe Biden is not the most progressive US President pls stop saying he technically is.

Australia is a failed state.

Wigglytuff

mad @ redacted in redacted
is a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Ok fine, actual hot take:

Each one of us is aggressively average despite longing to think of ourselves as special. If you're reading this, the overwhelming likelihood is that you're closer to the top of the bell curve than to either end, in any given metric.
yeah well I topped the OU ladder so speak for yourself

political correctness is stupid e: because robbed us of a perfectly good acronym in PC (personal computer), now there is ambiguity between if PC gamer means politically correct gamer or personal computer gamer

Last edited:

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Political Correctness isn't stupid, just people who expect everyone to know what is and is not politically correct immediately.

I think we can all agree that being respectful is a good thing, but I think people who use a person's lack of knowledge on what is and is not okay to belittle others on the assumption that they knew what was the right way to act in the first place creates an antagonistic environment that makes those who are ignorant on the issues less likely to sympathize with you.

I think only after we are fully aware of bad actors when we know for certain they know what they're doing is disrespectful, and they're continuing to do it anyway, is when we should call people out and go on the offensive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)