Post your searing hot takes

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
I guess on the topic of cartoons, it annoys me when people act like there's some fundamental difference between anime and cartoons. They're all just cartoons. Same thing with manga and comic books.

Every time I hear people talk about "their favorite anime" I just wonder why they're limiting the discussion to cartoons from specifically Japan.
Not touching the cartoon debate, but concerning the mangas or comic book thing, the difference is definitely the way they're produced and serialized. Both have pretty distinctive codes of publication and on how "ownership" of the characters works. That's also why we make the distinction between mangas, mawhas and like webtoons. In french, we also make the difference between comics and "bande-dessinée" which are the sort of covered comics you'd find in librairies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think I take more issue with people treating cartoons and anime as mutually exclusive terminology than I do with people designating terms by region. Speaking in terms of anime and not-anime is useful when talking about trends, techniques, and influence, but beyond that the distinction is sorta ridiculous because anime is an industry rather than a medium or genre (the medium being animation).

All Japanese animation is anime, and no western animation is anime (no, Avatar: The Last Airbender is not an anime (n) despite being anime (adj) as fuck), but Japanese cartoons also exist* (i.e. anime cartoons—the terms aren’t mutually exclusive), and similarly not all western animated properties are cartoons.

*Sazae-san, Pokémon, a significant chunk of Lupin III, etc. are good examples of Japanese cartoons

TL;DR either all animation is cartoons or cartoons are a genre that’s not region locked.
In french, we also make the difference between comics and "bande-dessinée" which are the sort of covered comics you'd find in librairies.
Yeah, the English equivalent of this term is “graphic novel.” Dunno if the French translates directly but I’m p. sure the medium is the same. I tend to distinguish comics by strip, magazine, book, graphic novel and webtoon and then put them under western, manga, manhwa etc. afterwards, as you will get versions of each for all three industries/layouts to the point that I tend to think of them as umbrellas rather than anything else.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Yeah, the English equivalent of this term is “graphic novel.” Dunno if the French translates directly but I’m p. sure the medium is the same. I tend to distinguish comics by strip, magazine, book, graphic novel and webtoon and then put them under western, manga, manhwa etc. afterwards, as you will get versions of each for all three industries/layouts to the point that I tend to think of them as umbrellas rather than anything else.
Not exactly but yh I get your point

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
It's weirdly impressive to me that Youtube as a platform has existed long enough for us to get lewronggeneration-type comments pertaining to it

"Back in my day Youtube was [insert adjectives with generally good connotations that don't actually mean anything, e.g. "soulful"], nowadays it's all cynically produced corporate garbage trending!"

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Wait so, Is it xenophobic of me to like being American rather than wishing I were still in Italy? Or is it the other way around where I'm a xenophobe for liking my Italian heritage. I think im missing the point.
It's extremely common for xenophobic people to try and force immigrants to change and assimilate to the country. When doing this, they usually say it's a matter of respect.

The point Finland is making is that forcing your culture on people moving to your country is an arrogant, stupid take. If they break the law that's a whole other conversation, but to force them to adapt to your culture is dumb. It's important to remember that respect goes both ways.

Death is a preferable alternative to communism
I'm sorry, comrade...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)