Post your searing hot takes

Mega Garchomp is actually extremely underrated; yes it may be worse than vanilla Garchomp but you aren't really using it for the same thing that you would do for vanilla Garchomp. I don't see why people hate it so much.

I am happy that a Mega Flygon is yet to be made by Game Freak, though. I have always found it generally extremely overrated, and while yes I am not fully opposed to a Mega Flygon, I generally feel that it's been overhyped to a point where I feel like I just don't want it anymore. If Mega Flygon wasn't so overhyped maybe I would've liked seeing one a lot more.

Mega Lopunny is the best mega evolution in the sense that it was actually done right. Ok, given, you could argue that there are a lot of other mega evolutions that were done right, but Mega Lopunny is the role model for what a Mega Evolution should look like in terms of how it's made.

Mega Audino's current ability is stupid. Like, Mega Audino has decent stats across the board, why did GF have to ruin it by giving it a super poor ability?

Gen 7 takes:

Mega Metagross: Do Not Ban

Pheromosa: Do Not Ban

Zygarde: Do Not Ban

Mega Gardevoir and Mega Gallade have the best shinies and there is no way in heck you're convincing me otherwise.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mega Audino's current ability is stupid.
my heart is about to freeze and then shatter

Honestly curious how Lopunny is an ideal mega though. It ignores unique things about the base pokemon, looks... fine, and is obviously minmaxed in stats/ability to force a competitive niche onto it. It's fun to use and unique, and I don't think it's bad, but I also don't think it's solidly in the top half.

Common pieces of advice like “get good,” “just be yourself,” and “keep practicing” are not just useless, but extremely condescending and disrespectful. Literally everyone already knows these things, and only seek out advice for help doing these things more effectively, or for what they can do in addition to these things. It’s like telling someone who had to abandon their Mt. Everest expedition that they should try “going up” next time. If you think it’s sufficient advice, then you clearly don’t understand their problem well enough to be advising them in the first place.

Smogon calls groups of metagame leaders "councils" because people feel ashamed that they're taking a kid's game seriously and are trying to legitimize it by making it sound like some cool secret society or body of government.

There's nothing wrong with taking a kid's game seriously and "council" is pretentious as fuck.

I'm getting real tired of game series reinventing themselves. Sure, it's novel. Sure, it draws in a bigger crowd. Sure, it might take more effort than sticking to an existing system. But at the end of the day, BotW is not in my most enjoyed Zelda games, Odyssey is not in my most enjoyed Mario games, Three Houses is not in my most enjoyed Fire Emblem games, and I ended up leaving my main tabletop system once it changed. Maybe once or twice I could deal with it and say "it's okay, others got what they wanted." But right now it feels like I'm quickly running out of favourite series, and my autistic brain won't let me switch to breadth-first search.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
People need to grow up when discussing things like transphobia. People make it so unreasonably difficult to discuss it due to their own made-up definitions.

You do not have to be transphobic to engage in behaviour that can be seen as transphobic. This isn't some revolutionary idea, it's a basic fact. You can say something racist and somebody will say "hey that's kinda racist", yeah? That's a thing. There is such thing as unintentionally offending someone. You don't need to put up some iron wall of "I'm not transphobic tho" when someone is trying to explain that perhaps it isn't a good idea to generalise an entire group of people. Sometimes you'll unintentionally engage in "phobic" behaviour, even the greatest saints can unintentionally hurt someone. Everyone makes mistakes. The worst thing you can do when your behaviour is pointed out as problematic is turn it into a personal attack. This can apply to any social situation for any time where you say something stupid. "Hey what you said there is kinda bad" isn't the same as "Hey you're a douchebag".

And no, transphobia - and any "phobia" referring to a group of people - does not refer to an irrational fear of them. This is an anti-LGBT trope that's been peddled by TERFs and other cliques for years. Homophobia, the first "LGBTphobia", was coined in the 1960s based on the greek word phobos. This word means anything from morbid fear to simple aversion. Getting hung up on something so utterly stupid, just to look like some pseudointellectual to a concerned friend, says a lot about the person doing it. The word is a way of conceptualising a pattern of aversion and prejudice towards a group of people. A pattern of behaviour needs a word to help explain it, this goes for things like narcissism. Without those kinds of words, it is difficult to socially advance. Again, this isn't some revolutionary take, it's something that has been done for centuries and is the heart of sociology and psychology as subjects.

I don't know how common this is outside of the UK - it's called TERF Island for a reason - but good fucking god this behaviour is so ridiculously obnoxious that I don't even want to entertain it anymore. I obviously will, my existence hinges on it, but to say it demotivates me is an understatement.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I have officially decided that I am now a Freddy Fazbear for Smash truther
-We still don't have any real horror game representation aside from the odd Spirit
-Also could use more indie reps
-They made movesets for shit like Piranha Plant and Wii Fit Trainer, Freddy has enough stuff to pull from to make it work (the minigames, FNaF World, even just stuff from the main gameplay)
-FNaF as a series has a weird amount of good music
-Oh yeah the reveal trailer would be awesome and the reactions would be hysterical

Smogon calls groups of metagame leaders "councils" because people feel ashamed that they're taking a kid's game seriously and are trying to legitimize it by making it sound like some cool secret society or body of government.

There's nothing wrong with taking a kid's game seriously and "council" is pretentious as fuck.
This is a great take and wish this was actually the case then the real reason.

I have officially decided that I am now a Freddy Fazbear for Smash truther
-We still don't have any real horror game representation aside from the odd Spirit
-Also could use more indie reps
-They made movesets for shit like Piranha Plant and Wii Fit Trainer, Freddy has enough stuff to pull from to make it work (the minigames, FNaF World, even just stuff from the main gameplay)
-FNaF as a series has a weird amount of good music
-Oh yeah the reveal trailer would be awesome and the reactions would be hysterical
fnaf represenation for smash IS a good idea but im not hot on it being freddy. maybe one of the balloon animatronics or circus baby? idk, its a tough situation; feel like they would want someone with a very vanilla design that isnt too scary but captures the concepts of the series well and has a fitting moveset lol. i disagree with the statement that freddy has enough stuff surrounding him to make a decent moveset

in general i think the characters from fnaf would work very well as assist trophies but when thinking about which one(s?) should be fighters none immediately come to mind

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In the beginning of the match, tell them to have fun (hf), but never tell them good luck unless you want to be haxed to death.
I on the other hand never tell my opponent to have fun. I wish them good luck as that is just and honorable, but a Pokemon battle is serious business, I don't want them to have fun, I want to destroy them.

I learned this in "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)