Practice VGC Battles Online

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats the difference between this and netbattle
Differences:
- NetBattle is never updated. PO is still in beta and updated all the time.
- NetBattle is not open source. PO is open source.
- NetBattle has a variety of bugs; sleep is handled incorrectly, screens do not function correctly, residual damage causes free turns, struggle in DP still uses ADV mechanics, trick goes through sub, Roost's landing effect lasts for 2 turns, an incorrect damage calculation formula, and probably a plethora of other things I've forgotten. PO, on the other hand fixes bugs as soon as coyotte's aware of them.
- NetBattle contains malware in the form of a rootkit. PO does not contain malware.
- NetBattle's peak userbase is 50 users average. PO's peak userbase is 110, though it's still in development from word of mouth.
- NetBattle's scripting language was some made up crap. PO uses javascript.
- NetBattle had a pretty terrible interface. PO has a sexy interface.
- NetBattle took 11 months to add Platinum and HGSS additions. PO; coyotte added double battles in a week.
- NetBattle considers Mew, Garchomp, and Manaphy to be OU with some made up tiers. PO, by default uses Smogon's tier list ( though servers can decide their own metagames ).
- NetBattle is not multiplatform and only runs on Windows XP with limited support on Vista. It also does not function on Windows 7. PO will work on any operating system. Available with binaries for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- NetBattle does not allow you to import teams from other simulators. PO allows you to import teams from NBS or ShoddyBattle from text.
- NetBattle Supremacy includes Gundams to select as Pokemon for some unknown reason, hardcoded into the program. PO does not.
- NetBattle requires 6 pokemon on a team. PO, you can have 1 - 6 pokemon on your team. This is important for VGC; 4 pokemon are used.
- NetBattle has older generations. PO currently does not.
- NetBattle has a built in damage calculator into its Pokedex. PO currently does not.

Similarities:
- They're both Pokemon battle simulators.
- They both have doubles ( though PO's is less bugged somehow despite only being a week old ).
- They both credit the original NetBattle for inspiration to the project.
- They both have built in Pokedexes ( lol ).

Pokemon Online is still in development: it's in beta testing. Amongst other things, features, older generations, etc. are going to be added. I don't think the name is exactly permanent, either.

That said, if anyone does notice bugs - report them and it actually does get fixed. Shouting them out like song requests at a concert in a thread the programmer probably hasn't seen gets nowhere.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, so far the biggest difference for me is that Pokemon Online developers are fixing bugs quickly whereas NetBattle Supremacy developers don't. NBS still has the Thunder / Blizzard through Protect bug even though it's supposed to be following HGSS mechanics.

Anyone know how to set this up without being admin? I tried downloading it to my desktop, and it didn't do anything but say I have to be admin.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's not how installing a program in Windows works.

Garaluo, ask whichever one of your parents is the admin to set it up for you. They have to do it from their account. They probably restricted your rights after you got a virus on the PC. Also, remove your e-mail address from that post or post it in this format: name [at] hotmail.com so that robots don't automatically crawl over your post and add your email to spam lists.

This looks sick. And I'm surprised this not-as-well-known program sprung up before the anticipated shoddy battle 2 did.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i freeze/ get disconnected everytime i go into the back-up beta server, any1 have a solution or this problem

You need to update, unless you have the brand new update it will crash. If you have updated then I don't have a clue as it works fine for me. I don't VGC though but I don't think that matters at all.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i followed the website for the new update, and still i freeze/dc. i know its not my internet so...ahh this sucks, i ha d a team i wanted to test bad

The back up server "Hoster" doesn't have a stable internet connection. If anything try connecting to the regular "Beta Server" and Not the back up.

That's not how installing a program in Windows works.

Garaluo, ask whichever one of your parents is the admin to set it up for you. They have to do it from their account. They probably restricted your rights after you got a virus on the PC. Also, remove your e-mail address from that post or post it in this format: name [at] hotmail.com so that robots don't automatically crawl over your post and add your email to spam lists.
I actually was never the admin, it's my mom's computer. Yeah, I meant send me the installed exe file. I check my spam a bit before deleting it, just in case anything is important.

Someone named Jekyl Hide sent me it, so thanks!

It's the "advanced tab" for level. I like this program has EVs in the regular team builder window instead of "advanced".

There is also a VGC Tier in the Beta Server. Within the tier you can force only same tier battles with the command "/sametier". You also can use the 'Find Battle' tab directly under the dialogue box to find battles in only your tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)