Protean Palace

While trying things out, I found a great Shedinja check.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fling
- Acrobatics

Flinging a Toxic Orb isn't normally a thought of strategy and can get rid of Sash Shedinjas in one turn. Especially since almost all of them run Shadow Sneak.
I'd prefer Facade over Acrobatics because of more power even before you fling the orb. Unless you want Super Effective against Fighting or Grass, I see why not?

Question. If a Poke with an -ate ability uses a normal type move, will they be transformed into a normal type, or the type the -ate ability calls for?

Question. If a Poke with an -ate ability uses a normal type move, will they be transformed into a normal type, or the type the -ate ability calls for?
they'll just lose stab on the -ate. A normal type pokemon using for example pixilate just fires of a non stab fairy move

Some interesting effects:

• Roost should make you typeless, so it's a great recovery for fast mons with poor defensive typed attacks
  • Pokemon with great defensive typing but poor offensive typing receive a huge boost, as they can (more) safely switch in (or move second), and their type changes once they move anyways
  • Conversely, pokemon with great offensive typing are not buffed very much
  • If you have a poor defensive typing, you can get a decent buff, as long as you're fast enough
Roost makes you normal type if you are pure flying (source: Bulbapedia). If it doesn't do that, then there is a glitch on Showdown.

Mew has so many different options in this meta. This set is working wonders for me.
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave/Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere

Last edited:
Mew has so many different options in this meta. This set is working wonders for me.
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Aura Sphere
I'm running Sucker Punch and Drain Punch with Defog on mine, with Overheat to surprise Ferro and shit and to just have a little burst of damage when I need it. But yes, Mew has tons of options in this meta, and is always a little scary to face.

Gliscor is incredibly good in this meta, able to hit extremely hard with STAB Facade, able to boost with Swords Dance and Agility, making it a very potent Double Dancer. Aerodactyl is also really good, with an amazing Speed tier and immense coverage to abuse with Protean+Tough Claws. Dragonite is also one of the best Pokemon in the meta for that powerful ExtremeSpeed (And to a lesser extent Lucario).

But yeah, hyper offense is stupidly good right now, which is great for me cause Hyper Offense is super fun. Shedinja sucks, don't use it.

Not elaborating cause I just wanted to give my first impressions on this meta. The creativity is also pretty great.

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Agreed sheddy is everywhere but is pure ass lol. I also want to vouch for Starmie, who I think is this OM's best spinner. In a tier where speed is huge, Starmue stands out with its blistering 357 speed and incredible move pool. I personally run LO with Spin + Boltbeam and Flash cannon for defensive trolling (also prevents me from being revenged by Espeed). It can also run hydro pump for power or HP ghost or whatever. If you need a spinner, starmie is your mon.

Crawdaunt also appears incredibly underwhelming with its garbage speed, so it's always forced to Aqua jet in a fast paced OM. It already gets adaptability boosted Aqua jets so there isn't any reason to use it imo. The same applies to Kyurem, which seems good on paper but it can't really wallbreak with STAB fusion bolts when so many things out speed and KO it (Aero, Scizor, Zam, Metagross etc)

One of the best poke that I haven't seen anyone use it in ladder (in my 15 or so battles) is Mega Medicham. Fake Out + Bullet Punch is so strong that it KO's anything with bulk of Porygon-Z or lower. It's the mvp in many cases, including revenging Extremespeed users.

252+ Atk Pure Power (Normal type) Mega Medicham Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Porygon-Z: 160-190 (51.4 - 61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Bullet Punch does the same, so it's a KO.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Why do people think that shendinja is going to be anything but trash? Lol still vulnerable to all residual, still vulnerable to super effective moves. Yes, you can protect/shadow sneak spam.... Until what, exactly? You run out of pp? What is sitting there not doing anything going to accomplish, exactly? Keeping up hazards or sand isn't hard (especially when unfixable 's gay af delibird misses rapid spin), and it can easily be statused or set up on until it runs out of pp.

Reactions: EV
For Shedinja, people think that SD/Protect/Sucker Punch/Shadow Sneak with Safety Goggles or Lum Berry can sweep unprepared teams by setting up to +6 or something. But mainly people use it just to annoy their opponents and see them ragequit (because well, it feels gud lol). But yeah, don't use Shedinja. It may annoy people, but it won't make you top ladder.

I disagree on what everyone's been saying about Shedinja. I mean it's not a top tier threat like Dragonite, but if you keep hazards away and play cautiously Shedinja will prove very annoying to the opposition and often stop a sweep. People are using things like protect shadow sneak + sucker punch and stuff but i find the set of Protect, Will-o-wisp, shadow sneak and baton pass to be the most effective Shedinja set from my experience. Focus Sash or lum berry is up to preference.
Shedinja isn't meant to sweep or anything it's best at disrupting the opposition and gaining momentum. (kinda like in BH lol)

If anyone want's an importable:

Shedinja @ Focus Sash/Lum Berry
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak
- Baton Pass

Some may think a slow baton pass would be preferable, but from time to time the extra speed has helped me out in outspeeding slow Pokemon and burning them. Will-o-wisp (fire) is a surprisingly good defensive type against a lot of Pokemon btw.

MAMP

MAMP!
I've been playing a fair bit of this meta and it's really great fun! I wanted to share a few sets I've been using:

Azelf @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Fire Punch
- Explosion

Azelf is rad, really fast with great coverage and power, and Protean Explosion OHKO's most things that don't resist it. Azelf has a lot of other options too, including screens, Stealth Rock, and lots of other coverage options. It is unfortunately very frail however.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Explosion
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Earth Power

Another Explosion user, Mega Diancie has good speed and great mixed offenses + perfect coverage with Moonblast and Earth Power. Protect allows for a safe mega evolution, and allows it to block Fake Out, and Explosion is just a stupidly powerful nuke that can be used to remove threats to your team once Diancie has run its course.

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spikes / Magic Coat / some attack

Klefki is a really rad mon in this tier; its typing allows it to switch in on common priority moves like Extreme Speed and Fake Out and threaten the users of those moves with a Thunder Wave, or just set up screens and Spikes. T-Wave is also great to cripple all the fast offensive threats that are running around.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

This thing is incredible; so much power with Tough Claws and base 145 attack, and excellent coverage in combination with great speed makes this thing a really dangerous offensive threat. What really sets it apart however is its great bulk that allows it to pretty comfortably take most priority moves.

A lot of common ou stuff is really rad here too; scarf Lando-T, pdef Garchomp, and sash Alakazam are all really solid mons. In my experience priority is king in this metagame; Pokemon like Dragonite and Mega Medicham prey upon the frail, offensive nature of this meta and are dominating forces that every team needs to be ready for. Stall really just isn't viable, offensive mons are just so powerful and versatile that defensive playstyles just generally can't keep up.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
sheddy is definitely not bad lol

"vulnerable to status" in a hyper offense metagame? doesn't rly matter..

biggest problem with it is that ttar is god because espeed spam everywhere so you get free kills on it p easily but i havent even seen any other ttar other than my own for some dumbass reason lol

also been using coil chestorest espeed eq zygod and it rules B)

I disagree on what everyone's been saying about Shedinja. I mean it's not a top tier threat like Dragonite, but if you keep hazards away and play cautiously Shedinja will prove very annoying to the opposition and often stop a sweep. People are using things like protect shadow sneak + sucker punch and stuff but i find the set of Protect, Will-o-wisp, shadow sneak and baton pass to be the most effective Shedinja set from my experience. Focus Sash or lum berry is up to preference.
Shedinja isn't meant to sweep or anything it's best at disrupting the opposition and gaining momentum. (kinda like in BH lol)

If anyone want's an importable:

Shedinja @ Focus Sash/Lum Berry
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak
- Baton Pass

Some may think a slow baton pass would be preferable, but from time to time the extra speed has helped me out in outspeeding slow Pokemon and burning them. Will-o-wisp (fire) is a surprisingly good defensive type against a lot of Pokemon btw.
the second someone loses to shedinja they've prepared for it. It's not going to happen twice

It's a set that can actually lose to a Ledian. All you need is a status user, a weather abuser, or any user of Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave with a speed stat higher than 40 (like Ledian).

the second someone loses to Shedinja they've prepared for it. It's not going to happen twice
Same could be said about Shedinja in BH, everyone prepares for it, but it's still A- on the viability rankings (correct me if i'm wrong). Sure it's easy to deal with Shedinja if you are prepared, but unless you run obscure moves on most of your Pokemon, chances are your only ways of killing Shedinja can be entirely removed late-game, leaving the opponent absolutely hopeless.
I have a couple of replays to show what Sheddy can do:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/proteanpalace-245862865
In this one, even though rocks are up, Sheddy (with proper predictions) completely walls the remaining 4 pokes on his team.
EDIT: I just realized the guy could have killed Sheddy with Garchomp's rough skin. I forgot shadow sneak was a contact move.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/proteanpalace-245855530
This one isn't as great as the other one, but you can see Shedinja puts in a lot of work (and i know it would have done more if the guy didn't forfeit)
Against someone like that, i could show how Spinda is broken. There were a million ways that guy could have beat you.

On a side note, I'd like to bring up scarf Gardevoir. Trace (although situational) can be very useful at times, such as copying Dragonite's multiscale or Scolipede's speed boost, taking advantage of weather sweepers, or in a last-ditch effort send into an intimidate user as death fodder. Gardevoir can support it's teammates with healing wish and is all around a decent Pokemon.

After using Shedinja for a while, I say it's pretty good. Earlier I said bad because well, either I haven't used it or all Shedinja I've fought got easily beaten. If done properly, it's one of the best Dragonite stopper, which could've swept my team with Dragon Dance + Extremespeed. It can also wall Porygon-Z and other Extreme speeders. Pair it with a Magic Bouncer or a Defogger and it does its job as being annoying.

This metagame would then be very centered around Speed and priority, as the ability to outrun the opponent allows you to play mindgames.
Some possible priority abuse:
  • Dewgong: Aqua Jet, Fake Out, Ice Shard.
  • Froslass: Ice Shard, Sucker Punch.
  • Greninja: Quick Attack, Shadow Sneak, Water Shuriken.
  • Hitmontop: Bullet Punch, Fake Out, Feint, Mach Punch, Quick Attack, Sucker Punch. Most of these get boosted by Technician, and Dark/Fighting/Steel is perfect coverage too.
  • Smeargle: Aqua Jet, Bullet Punch, Extreme Speed, Fake Out, Ice Shard, Mach Punch, Quick Attack, Shadow Sneak. (But only 20 Atk.)
Or if it's just speed you're after, you could try Ninjask, which gets Night Slash (immunity to Psychic), Metal Claw (immunity to Poison), Aerial Ace (immunity to Ground).

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As I've been experimenting with this meta for only 2 days, one underrated threat that I have found is Mega Banette. It has a great attack stat, great ability in this meta in prankster, and it has 2 priority moves in sucker punch and Shadow Sneak. I've found that running SS/Sucker Punch/Will-O-Miss/filler works surprisingly well. I'm not saying it deserves the mega slot on your team, but it works better than expected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)