Rain Stall... Does it work?

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
^Parasect is indeed amazing. So long as he doesn't go down in one hit, he'll be around to stall for turns to come.

To be honest, finding room for a spin blocker is tough. Starmie will take advantage of your rain and blast your spin blockers apart with LO rain boosted hyrdro pump. Jellicient, I've tried and usually didn't like. Spiritomb can handle starmie with a careful switch.

While not a spin blocker, rugged helmet Nattorei deserves a mention. You can make up for the lack of leftovers with wish passing. Spinners do not like losing 1/4th of their health just for spinning against you, and aside from hitmontop and torkoal (I've seen one), most spinners have issues against Nattorei anyway. You can set up against the pathetic resisted rapid spin as much as you please.

There's also heal bell Lanturn. I'd mention submersion if a few more pokemon learned it. Although it takes two moveslots and two turns, being able to toxic steel and poison type pokemon can be useful at times.

^Parasect is indeed amazing. So long as he doesn't go down in one hit, he'll be around to stall for turns to come.

To be honest, finding room for a spin blocker is tough. Starmie will take advantage of your rain and blast your spin blockers apart with LO rain boosted hyrdro pump. Jellicient, I've tried and usually didn't like. Spiritomb can handle starmie with a careful switch.

While not a spin blocker, rugged helmet Nattorei deserves a mention. You can make up for the lack of leftovers with wish passing. Spinners do not like losing 1/4th of their health just for spinning against you, and aside from hitmontop and torkoal (I've seen one), most spinners have issues against Nattorei anyway. You can set up against the pathetic resisted rapid spin as much as you please.

There's also heal bell Lanturn. I'd mention submersion if a few more pokemon learned it. Although it takes two moveslots and two turns, being able to toxic steel and poison type pokemon can be useful at times.
I'd recommend Dusclops as a spinblocker. Bulky as all hell and can have wishes passed to it from Vaporeon.

Ok, i know this might sound weird but here goes. Has anyone ever considered a Cradily for Rain Stall. I'm thinking of something like this.

Stalldily @ Leftovers
Storm Drain/Suction Cups
252 Hp/104 Def/152 SpDef
Bold (+Def, -Atk)

- Recover
- Ingrain/Toxic
- Stockpile
- Giga Drain

If u switch cradily in on a water attack it gets a potential +1 SpAtk thanks to Storm Drain. Ingrain stops anything that would potentially try to phaze you. Giga drain is there to make sure that yur not complete taunt bait and for that extra passive healing. Stockpile makes this thing a real bitch to take down. The Ev's are mixed defensively to give this thing more bulk. It also works well against other rain poke like kabutops/omastar/kingdra etc.

And what about a Confragrigus/ Desukan for spin blocking

Confagrigus @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Mummy
252 Hp/168 Def/88 SpDef
Calm (+Spdef, -Atk)

- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball/ Evil Eye
- Hp Fighting/Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

After a few calm minds under its belt this thing is almost impossible to bring down and at the very least will 2Hko most threats. The trick here is to Calm mind as much as you can and then rest to recover the damage and be a major pain in the ass to the opposing team. It is very unfortunate though that desukaan gets no alternate recovery ouside rest, so its not completely reliable. But if u set up enough CM's its pretty difficult to kill.

I think for the Cofragigus set, you should invest fully (or at least more heavily) in Def since you'll be boosting SpD with Calm Mind.

I think for the Cofragigus set, you should invest fully (or at least more heavily) in Def since you'll be boosting SpD with Calm Mind.
hmm.. yeah that's a good point idk i just thought that it would be able to wall stuff like starmie better but yeah i'll edit it. Thanks for the input though :)

I'd mention submersion if a few more pokemon learned it. Although it takes two moveslots and two turns, being able to toxic steel and poison type pokemon can be useful at times.
Yeah, Submersion is very good in theory, but in reality it will just force something out if they know you'll try and poison them or hit them SE next turn :\.

Stalldily @ Leftovers
Storm Drain/Suction Cups
252 Hp/104 Def/152 SpDef
Bold (+Def, -Atk)

- Recover
- Ingrain/Toxic
- Stockpile
- Giga Drain

If u switch cradily in on a water attack it gets a potential +1 SpAtk thanks to Storm Drain. Ingrain stops anything that would potentially try to phaze you. Giga drain is there to make sure that yur not complete taunt bait and for that extra passive healing. Stockpile makes this thing a real bitch to take down. The Ev's are mixed defensively to give this thing more bulk. It also works well against other rain poke like kabutops/omastar/kingdra etc.
The water immunity isn't too much of a big deal since Natt resists, Sect is immune (as is Vappy) etc. The electric resist is nice, though neutrality to grass is disappointing. In any case, the main reason to use Cradily as a defensive booster is suction cups, so you'd need Ingrain and T-Spikes for a Storm Drain set to work. And that is practically asking for Reuniclus to come in and boost up on you as you trap yourself. Idk, it just seems like this set will end up doing nothing more than surviving to stall out toxic damage, but there are better things that can do that.

Confagrigus @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Mummy
252 Hp/168 Def/88 SpDef
Calm (+Spdef, -Atk)

- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball/ Evil Eye
- Hp Fighting/Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

After a few calm minds under its belt this thing is almost impossible to bring down and at the very least will 2Hko most threats. The trick here is to Calm mind as much as you can and then rest to recover the damage and be a major pain in the ass to the opposing team. It is very unfortunate though that desukaan gets no alternate recovery ouside rest, so its not completely reliable. But if u set up enough CM's its pretty difficult to kill.
Problem is getting the CMs. You can't really just leave him in with the knowledge that they won't be able to spin, you often need to switch your ghost into a predicted RS, which may also turn out to be a Hydro Pump. Since he lacks even Pain Split and has less useful abilities for stall than say Dusclops, I wouldn't use this guy as my spinblocker.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Zapdos yet? He is a very useful Grass Resist, has Pressure, can take anything from most fighting types(bar a Roob Stone Edge, which can be stalled out using Roost and which good prediction), can phaze, can spread Toxic himself and fire off Thunders which hit hard even with no SpAtk investment. If used with LightingRod he comes with a really useful Electric immunity as well.

I've found Gastrodon pretty useful on a rain team, as it can set up stealth rock and is a water and an electric immunity.

Gastrodon@Leftovers
Storm Drain
Bold 20 HP/232 Def/252 SD
~Boiling Water
~Earth Power
~Stealth Rock
~Recover

I've found Gastrodon pretty useful on a rain team, as it can set up stealth rock and is a water and an electric immunity.

Gastrodon@Leftovers
Storm Drain
Bold 20 HP/232 Def/252 SD
~Boiling Water
~Earth Power
~Stealth Rock
~Recover
This actually looks pretty nice for a Rain team, the water and electric immunities are ofc invaluable, and the SpAtk boost can actually make him a decent threat. SR is excellent utility given that Natt cannot run it if it wants the rarer Spikes and any recovery (leech seed). It also has the option of Stockpiling once it grabs a boost from a water move, and proceeding to wear things out with its attacks whilst recovering off damage. Seems to me that it would pair well with Parasect, given its 4x Grass resist, and perhaps something with Heal Bell to keep it free of status.

Edit: lol indeed, it doesn't learn SR... Stockpile over it I reckon, though not being able to help set hazards is quite a detriment. The other viable move for stall is perhaps Clear Smog. Another issue is that Earth Power is illegal with Storm Drain...

This actually looks pretty nice for a Rain team, the water and electric immunities are ofc invaluable, and the SpAtk boost can actually make him a decent threat. SR is excellent utility given that Natt cannot run it at all. It also has the option of Stockpiling once it grabs a boost from a water move, and proceeding to wear things out with its attacks whilst recovering off damage. Seems to me that it would pair well with Parasect, given its 4x Grass resist, and perhaps something with Heal Bell to keep it free of status.

Edit: lol indeed, it doesn't learn SR... Stockpile over it I reckon, though not being able to help set hazards is quite a detriment. The other viable move for stall is perhaps Clear Smog. Another issue is that Earth Power is illegal with Storm Drain...
No it isn't, Storm Drain isn't a Dream World ability.

Just a quick note, Hydration Vaporeon cannot run Baton Pass as it is an egg move, and thus illegal with Hydration given that all event Vaporeon have been male thus far.
Baton Pass is learned as an Eevee at level 36.

So an Eevee with Anticipation can learn it and evolve into a Vaporeon with Hydration.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Baton Pass is learned as an Eevee at level 36.

So an Eevee with Anticipation can learn it and evolve into a Vaporeon with Hydration.
You'd have a good point IF DW Eevee was released. For now, it isn't

It was an event poke - hence the discussion about BP being illegal as all event DW pokes are male, so if BP were an egg move it could not have had it.
No it wasn't? Only the evolved pokemon were released.

Anyway, if it was released, why couldn't a male anticipation Eevee get to level 36 and learn Baton Pass?

No it wasn't? Only the evolved pokemon were released.

Anyway, if it was released, why couldn't a male anticipation Eevee get to level 36 and learn Baton Pass?
If so, my apologies, I was going by the list of released DW pokes on PO's tier listings - which has Eevee listed as well as the Eeveelutions. Also, this list has Eevee down: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=238021

And yeah that is what I meant, that a male Eevee if released could learn BP, sorry if I worded it a bit strangely.

Rain Dish Tenta can do a Stallrein impression. Well, okay, that's a lie. Saying Rain Dish Tenta can do a Stallrein impression is like calling Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt a Nine Inch Nails impression. RDTenta is simply a better Stallrein than Stallrein.

The set:

Tentacruel@leftovers/Black Sludge
EV's and nature go here!
Substitute
Protect
Toxic Spikes/Toxic
Surf/Brine

While it lacks Walrein's roar, it makes up for it with a stronger surf/brine (before the rain boost, even) to more effectively wear down foes, a much better typing and set of stats.

Blastoise was mentioned earlier, but I feel like the turtle just isn't as good as the original deadly jellyfish.

I've been running this Vaporeon set under Drizzle:

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Hydration
Calm 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
-Rest
-Acid Armor
-Toxic
-Boil Over

I have swept with this set numerous times since I've started using it. I've even defeated an Evolution Stone Chansey (Running Heal Bell, Seismic Toss, Toxic, and Softboiled) with this set!
The general idea is to ensure that and phasers have fainted and that there are no more Pokemon who can hit for super-effective damage with Special Attacks. Once you've done that, get at least one Acid Armor up, and then go with the flow from there. Rest up to heal yourself when necessary, Toxic any Pokemon who is not immune, and then use Boil Over to inflict additional damage. Use Acid Armor again if any physical Pokemon may threaten you.

The main reason why I choose to run Boil Over instead of Surf is for the chance of Burning Pokemon who are immune to toxic - steel and poison types.

I've been running this Vaporeon set under Drizzle:

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Hydration
Calm 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
-Rest
-Acid Armor
-Toxic
-Boil Over

I have swept with this set numerous times since I've started using it. I've even defeated an Evolution Stone Chansey (Running Heal Bell, Seismic Toss, Toxic, and Softboiled) with this set!
The general idea is to ensure that and phasers have fainted and that there are no more Pokemon who can hit for super-effective damage with Special Attacks. Once you've done that, get at least one Acid Armor up, and then go with the flow from there. Rest up to heal yourself when necessary, Toxic any Pokemon who is not immune, and then use Boil Over to inflict additional damage. Use Acid Armor again if any physical Pokemon may threaten you.

The main reason why I choose to run Boil Over instead of Surf is for the chance of Burning Pokemon who are immune to toxic - steel and poison types.
That is the exact set I run. EXACT. It works wonders...

Jynx: @ Focus Sash

4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid

Lovely Kiss
Substitute
Protect
Ice Beam

Sleep, Substitute on the switch. Protect to regain HP from rain. Ice Beam if you know you go first, or Substitute if you go second (they will break Substitute). Substitute down to Salac Berry, and then you will go first and be able to Substitute and Protect to stall foes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)