Metagame Re-Evolution

ponchlake

cult of personality cult leader
:dragalge: Dragalge, :necrozma-dusk-mane: Necro-DM, :kyurem-white: Kyu-W, :eternatus: Eternatus are all mons that probably need more experimentation.
I've been using Eternatus and spamming Necro-DM since the start of the ladder and even got reqs for the suspect test with them, so I wanna give my thoughts on both of them since quziel brought them up.

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Leftovers
Ability: Prism Armor
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Morning Sun

I've found this to be its best and most consistent set (shoutout Discordual). NDM can survive a single hit from just about every threat in the meta with its incredible bulk, typing, and ability. This means that you're almost guaranteed to either 1) Knock Off an item 2) Get up Stealth Rocks or 3) Toxic something. A lot of my success with NDM comes from using it as a pivot on Balance. Bring it in on a choice locked Pokemon, Gardevoir or Gallade for example, and survive a single hit then switch out into something that can take advantage. A lot of the popular support or glue Pokemon don't threaten NDM, so for the most part you're safe to bring it in and either heal up or click any of your other 3 moves. Conversely, you cannot do much to them either once you've removed their item or gotten up SR. Status is a bit of a 50/50 as well since a lot of the popular blobs don't mind Toxic from you, which was why I tried to use T-Wave instead. I ended up switching back to Toxic anyways since I prefer the residual damage it provides. I experimented with a strange double status set with T-Wave and Toxic with Wish support from Umbreon to keep it healthy. Very mixed results I'd say. Its best MU I'd say is against stall teams since virtually nothing on their team threatens you, and you can be an absolute nuisance by spamming Knock Off or Toxic while maintaining SR constantly. Its toughest MU I would say is Ferrothorn. Bringing NDM into Ferrothorn is almost always to your detriment even if you remove its item. It's practically guaranteed a free Leech Seed or hazard when you're in, and attacking it usually hurts you more than it hurt it. I've had games where Ferrothorn would be 20% but claw its way back up to 40% or 60% because I'd stay in with NDM to reset SR or Morning Sun. Corviknight is also a tough MU as well for obvious reasons. Something that could help the MU is going -Spd with 0IV's to get a Knock Off or Toxic off on whatever they bring in. I would say that NDM is proven to be a great option from my experience. Definitely bring something that can come in on Ferrothorn though.

Eternatus @ Metronome
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Toxic Spikes / Toxic

I've likely been using Eternatus wrong, so this probably the furthest thing from its most optimal set or spread. It serves a similar role to how I use NDM where it's a bulky pivot that I bring in. It is a lot less bulky but much much quicker. My best use of it was to use it to Pressure stall, namely on Umbreon or to waste Heal Bell/Aromatherapy PP. Just like NDM, it likes MU against really bulky teams. The name of the game was to slowly annoy teams by spreading Poison and slowly chip at them while burning their very limited PP. Eternatus does not have the damage to threaten a lot of the bulkier mons in this tier, so Metronome is there to further pressure mons for trying to stay in on you. I'll bring up the Umbreon example again. You don't do enough damage to threaten it, so Umbreon is free to stay in and Wish/Protect then Heal Bell on you without much care. This gets a lot harder with the combination of Metronome boosts and potential poisons from Sludge Bomb along with Pressure that will make them a lot less comfortable staying in on you. It does this a lot less effectively to Corviknight since you're also losing PP from their Pressure. Also like NDM, it has great MU's into a lot of the tier's blobs save for Noivern or Toxapex. Clefable, Ferrothorn, Corviknight, Umbreon, Slowbro/King, Tangrowth to name a few do not pose a threat to you besides Knock Off, so it's very easy to bring Eternatus in on them and do something annoying like set up T-Spikes or Recover. Toxapex is this thing's worst MU by a mile. You don't threaten it with anything in the slightest besides just staying in to Pressure stall, but you're also burning your PP doing so. The opposite is also true where they can't do much to you as well, and Eternatus can absorb the T-Spikes that Toxpex might sight up on you. Besides that, I think it's quite great against offense as well. The offensive typing and Speed lets you shred a lot of popular offensive mons like Garchomp, Togekiss, or Tsareena depending on your coverge, and if they can't deny or remove T-Spikes, then they're in for a rough time. Eternatus likely needs more experimentation, but I do think Pressure stalling + hazard stack is a very viable way to use Eternatus.

Last edited:
Quizel briefly discussed this and I’d like to go further in depth.

:ss/Togekiss:

Togekiss is really, really good. I’ve found that it puts in work every game and can easily rip apart unprepared teams. Its game plan isn’t very different from standard play, but with enormous stat boosts and the absence of several checks (Glowking, Heatran, Melmetal, etc), it’s a significant threat.

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Roost / Flamethrower

This is an absolute menace. At 120 base speed, Scarf Togekiss easily outruns the entire unboosted meta. Fat teams often crumble after their check gets tricked a Choice Scarf. I prefer Roost over Flamethrower for longevity after using Trick but Flamethrower is fine for stuff like Dusk Mane Necrozma and other steels.

Togekiss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Aromatherapy / Flamethrower / filler

Togekiss can use its good bulk and great typing to beat Garchomp, Noivern, Golisopod, Rillaboom, and Gallade. It’s a good Defog user and Aromatherapy is clutch. Works best on balanced teams. EV spread can be adjusted as needed; it doesn’t need to be max max to do its job.

Togekiss @ Salac Berry
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower / Aura Sphere

Definitely the most niche of the three but it can work. Sub NP is scary and with a speed boost it’s hard to stop. Flamethrower is best but Aura Sphere works if Tyranitar is too much of an issue.

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
how has nobody noticed how broken melmetal is
disclaimer that I have not played much Reevo at all

adding on to what ut said, I took a gander at the VR and looked at some calcs vs high ranked Pokemon
252+ Atk Iron Fist Melmetal Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 124-146 (26.9 - 31.7%) -- 32.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Iron Fist Melmetal Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Corviknight: 158-188 (34.3 - 40.8%) -- 59.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Iron Fist Melmetal Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 86-102 (28.2 - 33.5%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Iron Fist Melmetal Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Toxapex: 106-126 (34.8 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Corviknight and Toxapex, 2 of the highest ranked defensive Pokemon are both easily able to switch into Memetal even if they have not invested into Physical defense.

even Choice Baned Melmetal cannot 2HKO PhysDef Corviknight:

252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 182-216 (39.5 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Furthermore, even common offensive Pokemon are able to threaten Melmetal out:
252 Atk Life Orb Gallade Close Combat vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 549-650 (130.4 - 154.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Salazzle Flamethrower vs. 40 HP / 104 SpD Melmetal: 414-488 (98.3 - 115.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Noivern Flamethrower vs. 40 HP / 104 SpD Melmetal: 268-316 (63.6 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
All of the calcs I looked at showed Melmetal to be nowhere near broken, and while I'm confident in my answer, those who have played more Reevo than me should feel welcome to call me out.

rarre

Sometimes I think maybe its too late
is a Tiering Contributor
Melmetal is far from broken in Re-evolution. Melm doesn’t get the stat buffs from evolving, as it can only evolve in Pokémon GO, not Sword and Shield. If you want a decently strong iron fist choice bander, you always have hitmonchan. There are plenty of steel types such as corviknight, ferrothorn, excadrill, magneton, and ndm.

that was probably unnecessary all things considered

To avoid this being a one-liner, I’ll quickly talk about what I believe to be a major and slightly underrated threat.
:bw/cleffa::bw/clefairy::bw/clefable::bw/clefairy::bw/cleffa:
Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder / Flamethrower

Cm clefable is a pretty big threat to a lot of ill-prepared teams. Clefable can’t be dealt withby simply using toxic against it, as magic guard completely nullifies it’s effects. Life orb gives it the power it needs to become extremely threatening after a few boosts. Moonblast+Thunder is a great attacking combo, hitting most major moonblast resists for at least neutral damage and others, like corvikinght, ho-oh, and The pex, for super effective damage. Flamethrower is an alternative, as it hits ferrothorn and uses pex as setup fodder, but Thunder is usually preferred as pex can carry haze and ferrothorn is enough setup fodder as is. Some of the more common ways to deal with cm clef are directly pressuring it with powerful attacks like specs Toxtricity sludge wave, taunt from noivern and Salazzle, phazing with ho-oh whirlwind, tricking it with togekiss or other scarfers, or faster encore, especially from other clefable.

Talking of Necrozma-Dusk-Mane
:ss/Necrozma-Dusk-Mane:
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Leftovers
Ability: Prism Armour
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Iron Defense
- Stored Power

This set I've been having a lot of fun with on ladder, and it's super evil. Obviously, dark types like Umbreon need to be removed first, but after that, it can go wild. It's so effective that I only just noticed, after 3 weeks of using this thing, that it was actually Careful instead of Calm (Which I've now changed).

This thing's main advantages are a toxic immunity, an amazing defensive typing including a fairy resistance, and, most importantly, decimating most stall teams. Opposing stored power abusers like Unaware Clefable still get 2HKOd after full setup on both sides, and can't do much with their own stored power or moonblasts. Toxapex gets OHKO'd after 2 boosts, assuming one of the boosts is calm mind, preventing it from hazing your boosts away; Corviknight can't touch Necrozma-DM, and Ferrothorn is a pain, for sure, but eventually gets set up on and I get a sweep while burned, knocked off, seeded, and with fully stacked hazards on my side of the field.

Of course, this thing has more trouble against offence, since its defences aren't anything amazing for this meta. You really need to get that iron defence before taking a hit, calm mind takes longer to set up to safe levels, and moonlight has limited PP, especially considering every type of weather badly affects Necrozma (either limiting moonlight's effectiveness or boosting super-effective fire moves' power). Against the crazy bulky stall/balance centric meta, however, I find a lot of opportunities to set up and sweep with this guy. I normally pair him with a strong fighting/fairy attacker to help beat dark types like Umbreon, but that's less of a problem now that Calyrex-S has been banned.

Melmetal is far from broken in Re-evolution. Melm doesn’t get the stat buffs from evolving, as it can only evolve in Pokémon GO, not Sword and Shield. If you want a decently strong iron fist choice bander, you always have hitmonchan. There are plenty of steel types such as corviknight, ferrothorn, excadrill, magneton, and ndm.

that was probably unnecessary all things considered

To avoid this being a one-liner, I’ll quickly talk about what I believe to be a major and slightly underrated threat.
:bw/cleffa::bw/clefairy::bw/clefable::bw/clefairy::bw/cleffa:
Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder / Flamethrower

Cm clefable is a pretty big threat to a lot of ill-prepared teams. Clefable can’t be dealt withby simply using toxic against it, as magic guard completely nullifies it’s effects. Life orb gives it the power it needs to become extremely threatening after a few boosts. Moonblast+Thunder is a great attacking combo, hitting most major moonblast resists for at least neutral damage and others, like corvikinght, ho-oh, and The pex, for super effective damage. Flamethrower is an alternative, as it hits ferrothorn and uses pex as setup fodder, but Thunder is usually preferred as pex can carry haze and ferrothorn is enough setup fodder as is. Some of the more common ways to deal with cm clef are directly pressuring it with powerful attacks like specs Toxtricity sludge wave, taunt from noivern and Salazzle, phazing with ho-oh whirlwind, tricking it with togekiss or other scarfers, or faster encore, especially from other clefable.
oh wait nvm

Melmetal does not evolve in Sw/Sh, so it gets no boost from Re-Evo.

So it’s just regular OU Melmetal.
ok i had no idea how that worked so rip

Hello, I recently reached 1200+ on the ladder with this team, and I wanna talk about my boy Hitmontop because basically everything else in the team is somewhat standard.
:bw/hitmontop:

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- Triple Axel

Technitop with bulkup and spin is a really scary mid/lategame threat. Fighting/Ice is very good coverage and triple axel hits hard with
155 atk and technician, not even mentioning bulkup. It's spin support is also useful, but spin allowing it to Boost it's Speed stat has been amazing in the games I've played with it, after 2 spins it outruns almost the entire tier with only 8spe EVS due to it's actually decent speed in 105. It's bulk is solid as well: 65/155/185 is quite bulky, allowing it many chances to break teams or go for a sweep.

I imagine the spread could be optimized better(i.e. adding more speed evs to outrun more things at +1), but regardless Hitmontop has been a solid choice for me at the very least. He's also very fun to use.

I just want to post a meme set i didn't see anyone talk about here yet
Here it is

Accelgor @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Choice Scarf
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 60 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- filler
- filler
- filler

Accelgor has 255 speed, which is the highest possible, and with 196 speed EVs and a + nature it reaches the cap. With a decent HP stat it can easily nuke the enemy in a revenge kill, or pressure the opponent into switching out their setup sweeper. Heavy-Duty Boots nullifys hazards, and this can easily destroy opposing Toxapex as well. Taking out the opponent's wall is very beneficial, and when paired with Zoroark can create extreme mind games on your opponent, whether to stay in to risk Accelgor nuking your mon, or switching and risk Zoroark setting up.

I just want to post a meme set i didn't see anyone talk about here yet
Here it is

Accelgor @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 60 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- filler
- filler
- filler

Accelgor has 255 speed, which is the highest possible, and with 196 speed EVs and a + nature it reaches the cap. With a decent HP stat it can easily nuke the enemy in a revenge kill, or pressure the opponent into switching out their setup sweeper. Heavy-Duty Boots nullifys hazards, and this can easily destroy opposing Toxapex as well. Taking out the opponent's wall is very beneficial, and when paired with Zoroark can create extreme mind games on your opponent, whether to stay in to risk Accelgor nuking your mon, or switching and risk Zoroark setting up.
Speaking of goofy accel, it can be a fun lead as well

:bw/accelgor:

Ninja: In N' Out (Accelgor) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Final Gambit
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast

This set aims to get spikes at the start of the game and deny defog with Final Gambit. This can actually be quite effective, but basically final gambit is Accelgor's only calling card here. It's fun, but I don't think its very good. I do encourage giving it a shot though, as its a very fun set to use on HO teams(though there are probably better choices).

rarre

Sometimes I think maybe its too late
is a Tiering Contributor
I wanted to make a post but couldn’t really think of something to talk about.

Anyways I’m going give some thoughts about the banlist and potential future bans.

Banlist

:ss/solgaleo::ss/lunala:
lol no

:ss/gyarados:
Speed is enough due to the 110 speed tier being the most important. Power and bulk are more then good enough. No

:ss/darmanitan-galar:
That’s a lotta damage

:ss/naganadel:
Was barely manageable with glowking, and there is no glowking anymore

:ss/zacian-crowned:
Maybe?? Probably not as it still has the same problems of being overpowered in Ubers.

:ss/volcarona:
Maybe this will be manageable if we unban glowking.

:ss/milotic:
no

:ss/urshifu:
Is it Manageable without such massive fsights from glowking? Probably not

:ss/calyrex-shadow:
I was initially kinda pro-ban on shadow rider, but now I think it could be fine for the meta. There are a lot of top tier darks (hydreigon, tyranitar, bisharp) and other defensive mons that can take a hit in a pinch (chomp, clef, etc.). Also Ubers can deal with it why can’t we (this is Ubers+ after all).

:ss/slowking-galar:
Unban glowking pls

Potential future bans aka. the bigger part of this post

:ss/barraskewda:
2hkos basically everything that doesn’t resist water under rain, has a massive speed stat, and can take out its common resistances (ferro, pex, noivern, slowbro) with its coverage (cc, psyfangs, ice fang, crunch/assurance haha). Only reliable switch in is golisopod, which requires wish support to stay healthy throughout a game. On the other hand, it requires rain to work, cannot switch into anything due to it not having bulk or defensive utility, and is forced into using one move, meaning that it cannot lose the prediction as water resists are common on teams. It’s also hit by stealth rocks and other forms of passive damage, limiting the number of times it has to switch in. Overall, I don’t think Barra is too broken for the tier.

:ss/toxapex:
Toxapex became a really worry after glowking’s ban, as there was no longer such massive future sights being thrown around everywhere, and slowking/slowbro couldn’t quite replicate its job. Toxapex could easily invalidate many parts of offensive teams, as it’s huge bulk, instant recovery, and regenerator would show to that. Not much can really break through pex, especially if it packs haze to deny setup sweepers. Of course, the pex is extremely passive and relies on passive damage to work, inviting in the insanely strong Toxtricity, and has other cplay in taunt users, chomper (if it doesn’t get burned), and less strong but still powerful future sights. I’d probably support a pex ban atm, although I’m not sure how popular that opinion is.

tl;dr unban glowking

:ss/corviknight:
Corviknight is similar to pex that it can be frustrating to break and easily invalidates so much of the meta. Magneton is a common way to try breaking it, but it can easily just be u-turned on and some corv, especially on stall, have began using shed shell. Corviknight also isn’t just a passive wall, as it can do good sure with decent offenses and occasional bulk up/iron defense sets. The most common ways to deal with corv is to set up on it, using toxtricity, taunting it, and just making it awkward for corv to roost. Kinda indecisive on whether corv is banworthy or not.

:ss/noivern:
Honestly, noivern might be worthy of S- tier after it was discovered how effective bulky taunt roost sets were. Easily invalidates entire defensive cores and is likely to be the fastest unboosted mon in any given game not involving rain. Offensive sets are still good though, and generally noivern’s stabs, fire move, and u-turn are enough for offensive pivoting. Noivern can even fit niche options like defog and super fang into its moveset on certain teams. The biggest problem noivern faces is that it has only 4 moveslots. Taunt sets might be good until they run into a gyro ball ferrothorn and wished it had flamethrower. 4 attack sets may get knocked and really wish they had roost in one of their slots. A garchomp is setting up and threatening to sweep you team and you regret forgoing meteor as one of your moves. Generally noivern is really good, but it can’t do it all, making it mostly balanced in reevo.

:ss/golisopod:
Golisopod may have a massive attack stat and great defenses, but it still has a lot of problems. The first is its lack of reliable recovery, exacerbated by the fact that it relies heavily on boots to work. Non-boots sets, namely choice band, are often too weak to rocks are require a lot of support to work. Emergency exit is also a huge pain, as golisopod is primarily a defensive mon. That’s not to say golisopod is bad, however, as it’s still great at laying spikes, knocking, and using a strong first impression.

:ss/togekiss:
ok maybe this thing is actually good
One of the best stall killers, standard set being trick np scarf. Air slash flinches are quite funny at beating slower mons. Togekiss either uses flamethrower to more consistently beat steels or roost for recovery. This might be a problem, but I personally feel togekiss’s reliance on flinches and weakness to rocks does hold it back enough to be not too broken.

:ss/Toxtricity:
I know that a Toxtricity ban isn’t too popular an idea, but I do feel it might be worth looking at. There is basically 1 common reliable switch in to both specs and mixed sets, and even ferrothorn can be lured with fire punch (No, specially defensive giratina is far too niche and can still be 2hkoed by specs snarl after rocks). Ofc, a Toxtricity ban wouldn’t be without drawbacks, as it is one of the few mons to pressure both corv and pex and gain momentum from it.

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Ladder was fun while it lasted, now lets check the usage stats:
https://www.smogon.com/stats/2022-08/gen8reevolution-1630.txt

The still legal mons with OU level usage would be (and reevo uu ban list, but that's as unofficial as it gets):
:clefable: :corviknight: :noivern: :toxapex: :ferrothorn: :golisopod: :garchomp: :gallade: :tyranitar: :toxtricity: :barraskewda:
:umbreon: :mandibuzz: :gardevoir: :pelipper: :chansey: :hydreigon: :ho-oh: :urshifu: :azumarill: :tsareena: :dragonite:
:frosmoth: :slowbro: :rillaboom: :quagsire: :togekiss: :ninetales-alola: :polteageist: :excadrill: :darmanitan: :hippowdon: :avalugg:

Salazzle and Bisharp got really low usage despite being generally good mons, with Bisharp being A- and Salazzle A.
Then there is Hippowdown who almost didn't get enough usage despite being one of the best walls in the meta, and next to it we got Avalugg, no idea who used it other than rarre and its followers.
And with Caly-S banned the only Uber that got high usage was Ho-oh, with ndm just failing for a tiny bit despite being so good at many things as it was discussed some posts ago.
| 37 | Necrozma-Dusk-Mane | 4.37080% | 1136 | 2.745% | 921 | 2.761% |

Also, people could not choose one magnet so both not only got low usage but are also right next to each other.
| 47 | Magnezone | 3.50476% | 530 | 1.281% | 437 | 1.310% |
| 48 | Magneton | 3.35608% | 1480 | 3.576% | 1252 | 3.753% |

With all the balance mons and premier walls banned, the hypothetical Re-evo UU seems quite crazy, Zacian, Crawdaunt, Lucario, Hitmonlee, Xerneas, Dragapult, Cloyster, Kommo-o, Lycanroc-Dusk among other dangerous mons with little to keep them in check.

In other news, Codename C.A.T left the council, did a great job there until now but decided to leave.
4/10/22 Edit: Wes8888 also left the council some time ago, they also did a lot for the tier.
Gen 8 is coming to an end soon, so new council members will join in gen 9.

Last edited:

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Hey guys, I hope you all are as excited as I am for gen 9, there are big plans for it but in the meantime...

I made a banner for the tier!
Lucario and Riolu combine their powers to execute a powerful attack!
reevo banner.png

Last edited:

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
What are these big plans and why have I not been informed of them?
Well, nothing is set in stone yet as we are still waiting for the data mine, but...
While I like the current state of the tier, I think we could have done more, but after the Barraskewda suspect the only possible candidates that have been appearing have too much of an influence in the tier (Noivern, Corviknight, Toxtricity) that removing any of them would just generate a domino effect, this normally wouldn't be an issue, but we are too close to the end of the generation, so we may just destroy the balance of the gen8 reevo and leave before fixing it. Unlike other tiers that will just move to RoA, gen8 reevo will only exist if anyone ever decides to run a room tour or something.
Now in gen 9 we may actually have reevo for the whole gen instead of just the last few months, giving us plenty of time after any tiering action to let the meta settle.
And in the more theorymon aspect, I kind of expect tera to have a good effect on this high-powered bulky tier, but that could be wrong, so let's wait another month before going in deep about all of that.

Last edited:
:ss/golisopod:
Golisopod may have a massive attack stat and great defenses, but it still has a lot of problems. The first is its lack of reliable recovery, exacerbated by the fact that it relies heavily on boots to work. Non-boots sets, namely choice band, are often too weak to rocks are require a lot of support to work. Emergency exit is also a huge pain, as golisopod is primarily a defensive mon. That’s not to say golisopod is bad, however, as it’s still great at laying spikes, knocking, and using a strong first impression.

that negative speed stat lookin kinda sus ngl

Gimmicky

You give me chills, I've had it with the drills
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I want to take a moment to reflect on some of my favorite Pokemon to use in the tier for gen 8. Reevo was ultimately an OM I enjoyed a lot this gen, and with Scarlet and Violet on the horizon and bound to shake the tier up a lot, I think it's time to reflect on the gen.

:umbreon: I was pretty openly an Umbreon denier in the OM Room, but the longer the meta went on, the more I warmed up to it. Incredibly consistent mon that ended up finding itself on many of the best teams in the tier.

:salazzle: It's a crime this thing didn't get much usage. Fast and strong with plenty of utility, with the Nasty Plot set being one of my favorite wallbreakers in the tier.

:togekiss: We didn't realize the full potential of the kiss until relatively late in the metagame, but it quickly proved itself to be another excellent, underrated piece on a lot of great teams. Scarf set was particularly nasty.

:groudon::ho-oh::necrozma-dusk-mane: With things as strong as Toxtricity and Gallade running around, it could've been easy to ignore how many regular Ubers excelled in the tier. Groudon in particular really resonated with me, even though it hovered around 2% usage.

:corviknight: My pick for the best Pokemon of Gen 8 Reevo. Plenty of people considered it banworthy, and not unjustifiably so. Jack of all trades, master of all trades. I loved using it, didn't as much love playing against it.

:noivern: One of the poster children of the metagame, Noivern is another master of all trades. From it's bulky roost + taunt to powerful flamethrowers and hurricanes, to more niche options like super fang and the sheer utility of it's fast u-turn, Noivern would've been banworthy if we had 5 moveslots instead of 4, but it was one of the best and most versatile Pokemon this generation.

Here's to Gen 9! A new Pokedex, Terastal and the same stat monsters we know are a combination I'm expecting to enjoy a lot.

shout out to KaenSoul and all of the reevo council, wouldn't have had so much fun with this tier if not for you guys. reevo uu when

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)