Reuniclus

Has anyone tried using absol as a counter? SD Sucker Punch can do a ton and while i havent used this set since last gen, Crit Abuse absol's night slash when backed up by Absol's ability and a razor claw has about a 50 percent chance to crit and can OHKO Rank.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Has anyone tried using absol as a counter? SD Sucker Punch can do a ton and while i havent used this set since last gen, Crit Abuse absol's night slash when backed up by Absol's ability and a razor claw has about a 50 percent chance to crit and can OHKO Rank.
SD version is obviously never going to work unless you get lucky and Focus Blast misses, and I'd rather not leave it up to a 50/50 shot for the crit.

If my calcs are correct a banded Night Slash will OHKO some of the time and a Sucker Punch will OHKO all of the time. If you predict a Recover, Calm Mind, or Trick Room, Absol can be a decent check, using Sucker Punch when Trick Room is in effect and Night Slash so you don't become set up fodder for the CM Reuniclus.

Absol still has it's weaknesses though and I don't see it's usage rising just because of this, but if it fits in your team synergy it could potentially work.

SD version is obviously never going to work unless you get lucky and Focus Blast misses, and I'd rather not leave it up to a 50/50 shot for the crit.
Or if they dont attack fearing of the sucker punch. its all about prediction. and if they dont attack, you can get two NSes off instead of an SB+SP and either the first crits or the second KOs. Absol offers alot more than what you see on paper because of the prediction mind games it causes.

Kirikizan also works if it comes in on anything but Focus Blast although the reliance on Sucker Punch is not good (although Trick Room Rankurusu with 3 attacking moves is forced to or switch) and even max hp/max def Rank takes 80% from Sucker Punch and if it nabs Swords Dance then it's doomed. The 4x fighting weakness is attractive to Rankurusu although it is also known to carry Sucker Punch which puts Rank in a position to attack or not. Once Breloom/Roopushin is gone, Kirikizan is not all that bad a poke. It certainly puts a damper on the Latis spirit. And Kirikizan is what Absol wished it could be (-the 4x Fighting weakness, if it was pure dark then it would be OU because the Roopushin/Breloom thing kills it although with Roopushin popularity fairly low I think, it could deal). And Chople Berry Kirizian can beat weakened Roopushin's...

Entry hazards make sweeping easier by adding free damage on almost everything that switches in, turning 2HKOs into OHKOs and so on (look at any DPP analysis and count the number of times you see "after Stealth Rock" or something similar said). There's a reason everyone and their mother used Stealth Rock in Gen IV, even on offensive teams.

Speaking of offensive, I think you'll find that being more civil in your posts will make people tend to take you more seriously.
Everyone knows spikes are for stall only.

Everyone knows spikes are for stall only. Quit being such a noob.
Oh wow this is probably the most useless post I've ever seen. "Everyone knows spikes are for stall only." This is not the means of a valid arguement. Granted I don't do research into teams, but saying "everybody does this" is by no means valid. I'd luv to see what research you've done to prove Spikes sucks so bad on everything else that it's literally in everybody's mindset that it's only good in stall. Cause even if you didn't mean it like that that's pretty much what your insinuating.

FYI spikes is an entry hazard just like Stealth Rock. Anything on the ground is getting hit for at least 12% per turn. Even if, as you so boldly state it "Spikes are for stall only", it's perfectly viable on offensive teams. Granted there are several reason why Stealth Rock is the prefered option on all teams over spikes.

"Quit being such a noob." Really? I'm just speechless as to how this is in any possible way valid outside of internet mudslinging.

Overall I'd say your post is a piece of crap. Anyway, enough jerking around useless stuff.

@Fluffy Otters

I had once thought of Kirikizan as a check as it's able to resist Shadow Ball and doesn't take any damage from Psychic moves. It's got plenty of switch in opportunities and it'll hit hard with CB Sucker Punch. Outside of the Calm Mind set (252/252 Bold) Nothing will be taking that Sucker Punch. Infact it's dealing 93.4% - 110.4% to 252/0 Neutral Reuniclus which is majorly found on the TR set. It's perfectly viable as a hard check so long as it doesn't switch in on a Focus Blast.

Edit: Actually I'd dead ass wrong. I forgot to add the atk evs so it'll actually be doing more. 252 evs Adamant Choice Band Kirikizan Sucker Punch will be dealing 125.0 - 147.6% to 252/0 neutral reuniclus.

BTW Fluffy your wrong. 252 evs Adamant CB Kirikizan Sucker Punch is dealing 85.4% - 100.9% to 252/252 Bold Reuniclus. Granted that's an extremely small chance at an ohko however, if you apply the Reuniclus user's mindset when facing the option of a Kirikizan's Sucker Punch doing so much to Reuniclus and possibly ending a sweep and basically making a pokemon useless that's a mindgame set up right there and it could very well pay off. lol

On top of being wrong, you have yet to contribute anything productive to this thread. Don't waste our time with inane bravado and nothing to support your claims.

Ok, so this round of suspect testing had me looking into Shubarugo what with all the talk of Latios and Reuniclus, and I came up with this set.

Shubarugo@Choice Band
Sassy; 176 HP / 156 Atk / 180 SpD
IVs: 2 Speed

- Pursuit
- Reversal
- Megahorn
- Iron Head

Before you laugh or sneer at the use of Careful nature, keep in mind that the Choice Band, high base power of Megahorn, and Shubarugo's naturally high attack stat has Megahorn (the only move you'll really be using) hitting harder than several things:

344 Atk CB Megahorn vs. 404/361 Suicune: (46.04% - 54.21%)
394 Atk CB Scizor U-Turn vs. 404/361 Suicune: (30.69% - 36.39%)
405 Atk CB Gross Meteor Mash vs. 404/361 Cresselia: (44.80% - 52.97%)

In other words, don't hate. In exchange, you get:

-The most solid Lati check in the game (OHKOs 6/0 Latios as he switches out and does 90% minimum to 6/0 Latias as she switches out). It avoids being even 4HKOd by Specs Latios' Draco Meteor, avoids being 2HKOd by Specs Latios' Surf with rocks/spikes (1 layer), and will always 2HKO with Pursuit should Latios stay in.
-The most solid Reuniclus check in the game (OHKOs 252/252 Bold Reuniclus, outruns Quiet Reuniclus in TR and OHKOs, takes a mere 42% max from +1 Lefties Bold Focus Blast)
-A great check to psychics/ghosts/dark types in general.
-A powerful attacker who hits harder than CBGross without even close to maximum investment.
-Generally bulky tank.
-Powerful Anti-Trick Room pokemon, trapping the psychics and ghosts that reside there and using the field condition to its advantage.
-Ridiculously powerful Swarm-boosted Megahorn.

I think this set finally grants Shubarugo the niche it has been looking for in OU. At 100 base power, Reversal will OHKO 4/0 Heatran, which is around 30% health remaining or something like that (Swarm has kicked in here, of note).

For those of you interested, I found that it pairs well with the following pokemon: Garchomp, Latios, Latias, Rotom-W, the list goes on. Basically anything that resists fire, but dragon-types work with it especially well. Vaporeon gets special mention, as its Wish support will keep Shubarugo healthy throughout the match and it isn't particularly susceptible to grass- and electric-type moves.
Literally just cut and pasted it from my post in the Shubarugo thread, and while I know it has been mentioned before, I just thought I'd post it for reference. Shubarugo is literally a cookie-cutter Reuniclus counter, crushing it both in and out of TR and having use outside of just that for those citing that Spiritomb did nothing for offensive teams. This is your offensive check.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
That Escavalier looks good. Would rock smash be a good option? Unless trick room is in effect, he'll be too slow to abuse it at a higher base power than RS in most cases. 50% chance to lower defense too.

Why are there so many trolls all of a sudden?

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I tried Shubarugo before and tbh it sucked for me. O.k sure, it KO'ed Latias. Then you are locked in for something like Landlos/Dory/Tekkion to switch in and Boost up. Not denying it worked for some people, guess it just did not work for me.

Instead I just run Spiritomb or CM + Roar Latias and it does pretty well. Trick room varients suck vs Stall anyway.

Yeah I tried Shubarugo before and tbh it sucked for me. O.k sure, it KO'ed Latias. Then you are locked in for something like Landlos/Dory/Tekkion to switch in and Boost up. Not denying it worked for some people, guess it just did not work for me.

Instead I just run Spiritomb or CM + Roar Latias and it does pretty well. Trick room varients suck vs Stall anyway.
What about using Leftovers over Choice Band and running Swords Dance which in my opinion is far superior to Choice Band? It just doesn't have the movepool for Choice Band (lol) and Swords/Megahorn/Iron Head/Some filler like Rain Dance, Subsitute, Protect, etc is really all it needs. Obviously keep it away from Heatran and Fire (although it survives numerous fire attacks in rain), and never EVER use Rock Smash.

Would rock smash be a good option?
Rock Smash SUCKS. A +4 Adamant Shubarago needs Life Orb to guarantee an ohko on Heatran. Seriously. ANYTHING in that last slot does better than Rock Smash. Rain Dance/Sub/Acid Armor (hmm, not such a bad idea, especially on specially defensive), Protect, Pursuit, Counter are all much better.

And especially if they use Trick Room, Swords Dance Shubarago is going to run right all over them.

This thing is so bulky.
Full HP can survive LO HP fire in neutral from Starmie. Thats definitely saying something.

SInce this is shubarugo topic
To fully counter shu theres 2 option fo me.
1st CM Blast shock lose to Deoxys-d
2nd OTR 3 attack lose to hippo CM to shuba

I never has problem with ranky this way just saying

BTW he survive with full hp full attack from that hp fire.
Wow ranky might have trouble with that have uber stats bug

Everyone knows spikes are for stall only. Quit being such a noob.
Stop trolling. You don't have a fucking clue what the fuck you're talking about. I've had many a successful offensive team with spikes support. Worst post I've ever seen. And it appears someone already answered you.

While Escavalier is a great counter to Reuniclus, I was thinking about Sandstorm teams the other day and thought of Cacturne. Base 115 Attack, STAB Sucker Punch and (the clincher) Sand Veil. It seems pretty situational but if you've a SS team with Reuniclus issues (either Hippowdon instead of TTar or something like that), I feel like Cacturne might be worth mentioning. With Sand Veil, Focus Blast will be the only thing doing much to Cacturne (on HP Fire-less sets) and it'll be hard to it.
Or you could run Focus Sash + Brave and take advantage of STAB 120BP Payback? A gimmicky set with Scarf + Switcheroo? Hell, maybe even Gastro Acid or something like that. I'll run calcs for Payback later but it seems like it could be at least worth considering for SS teams.

Most also run sub so it would be even harder to get hit with an FB when each hit only does 25 percent for all practical purposes and then when it misses, cacturne has a free sub.

While Escavalier is a great counter to Reuniclus, I was thinking about Sandstorm teams the other day and thought of Cacturne. Base 115 Attack, STAB Sucker Punch and (the clincher) Sand Veil. It seems pretty situational but if you've a SS team with Reuniclus issues (either Hippowdon instead of TTar or something like that), I feel like Cacturne might be worth mentioning. With Sand Veil, Focus Blast will be the only thing doing much to Cacturne (on HP Fire-less sets) and it'll be hard to it.
Or you could run Focus Sash + Brave and take advantage of STAB 120BP Payback? A gimmicky set with Scarf + Switcheroo? Hell, maybe even Gastro Acid or something like that. I'll run calcs for Payback later but it seems like it could be at least worth considering for SS teams.
Using Focus Sash to counter a pokemon means it is a non-counter.

Cacturne has other issues, however. It is all but useless outside of SandHax (which is all it really does), and isn't really a check to anything outside of Water-types thanks to its low defenses, and even then it needs Water Absorb to avoid an LO Surf or something along those lines. I would much rather run Shubarugo over Cacturne on a sand team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)