Reuniclus

Has anyone bothered to try out Calm Mind Reuniclus? It's damn bulky after a single calm mind.

Reuniclus @ Lefties
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp Def
-Calm Mind
-HP Fighting/Focus Blast
-Recover
-Psychic/Psycho Shock

With magic guard, lefties, and recover, as well as max defense, it can take plenty of hits on the physical side, and after a single (or a couple) of calm minds, it can take sides from both sides of the spectrum, and retaliate with hard-hitting Psychic or Psycho Shocks. The HP Fight/Focus Blast is there for coverage.

Has anyone bothered to try out Calm Mind Reuniclus? It's damn bulky after a single calm mind.

Reuniclus @ Lefties
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp Def
-Calm Mind
-HP Fighting/Focus Blast
-Recover
-Psychic/Psycho Shock

With magic guard, lefties, and recover, as well as max defense, it can take plenty of hits on the physical side, and after a single (or a couple) of calm minds, it can take sides from both sides of the spectrum, and retaliate with hard-hitting Psychic or Psycho Shocks. The HP Fight/Focus Blast is there for coverage.
I'm pretty sure a large majority of Reuniclus' run CM.

Escavalier @ Leftovers/Expert Belt/Muscle Band
Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SDef
Adamant
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
Having used Escavalier for quite a long time I have a few things that need to be said here about this although yes Escavalier is a hard counter for Reunicleus.

• First off is Swarm > Shell Armour always. The added power Escavalier gains from it is phenomenal and can turn many safe switch ins into cannon fodder for him.
  • If you run Swords Dance you NEED Substitute full stop. Escavalier appreciates the scouting opportunities should he get a sub up. He has the bulk that Esca subs can survive hits from many weaker opponents.
  • The ridiculous power of Megahorn makes Iron Head pointless, seriously what is Iron Head going to be killing that a +2 Megahorn couldn't? The things that hard counter Escavlier laugh at Iron Head too, you'd get more damage out of even Return.
  • To add to that after Swarm kicks in and hes at +2 Esca sure as hell doesn't need coverage anymore.
  • Having said that any Reunicleus who doesn't run on sight deserves to lose the match, so saying it hard counters it is easier said than done.
  • Pursuit is often superior to Knock Off, most of the things that switch into Esca couldn't care if they lost their item. At the very least Pursuit lets you maul running Reiuncleus, Gengar, SpecsLatios and gives a more reliable attack against Jellicent. This makes Escavalier more useful beyond being a one trick pony specialized counter.

Having used Escavalier for quite a long time I have a few things that need to be said here about this although yes Escavalier is a hard counter for Reunicleus.

• First off is Swarm > Shell Armour always. The added power Escavalier gains from it is phenomenal and can turn many safe switch ins into cannon fodder for him.
  • If you run Swords Dance you NEED Substitute full stop. Escavalier appreciates the scouting opportunities should he get a sub up. He has the bulk that Esca subs can survive hits from many weaker opponents.
  • The ridiculous power of Megahorn makes Iron Head pointless, seriously what is Iron Head going to be killing that a +2 Megahorn couldn't? The things that hard counter Escavlier laugh at Iron Head too, you'd get more damage out of even Return.
  • To add to that after Swarm kicks in and hes at +2 Esca sure as hell doesn't need coverage anymore.
  • Having said that any Reunicleus who doesn't run on sight deserves to lose the match, so saying it hard counters it is easier said than done.
  • Pursuit is often superior to Knock Off, most of the things that switch into Esca couldn't care if they lost their item. At the very least Pursuit lets you maul running Reiuncleus, Gengar, SpecsLatios and gives a more reliable attack against Jellicent. This makes Escavalier more useful beyond being a one trick pony specialized counter.
Shell Armor is obviously to avoid crits that could happen when attempting to switch into something, sort of a precaution. Was considering Pursuit, but these are pretty good suggestions, thanks for that. I was only hoping to possibly give a tool to the people having trouble with Reuniclus. Spiritomb is another pokemon that can take on the Calm Mind variant.

Resisting both it's stab and focus blast, Spiritomb is probably the best counter to Reuniclus, especially with some special defense investment.

Resisting both it's stab and focus blast, Spiritomb is probably the best counter to Reuniclus, especially with some special defense investment.

It gets better: trying to make a Reuniclus that "could" counter Spiritomb needs Shadow Ball, and for that you either have to drop Calm Mind or Recover, or drop Focus Blast, which is even less desirable given that Dark and Steel types will wall it with little effort.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Better yet, I saw this one nutjob on the ladder run Shadow Ball and Focus Blast without Psychic, which I guess isn't so crazy if you don't care about beating Roopushin. Just don't start crying if you get 2HKOed by Stone Edge and all you have left is physical attackers.

Spiritomb is pretty much your best bet off head as a counter as it resists both of Reuniclus' attacking moves. Unless u face you odd shadow ball + psychic combo then your dark types can breath. Escavalier can pretty much run amok on it ready to puncture it's "jelly" defenses (Tried to pun that but Reuniclus is actually very bulky so...)

These things generally don't give me too much trouble as long as they haven't put trick room up. You can often catch up setting up or recovering, which makes them susceptible to encore antics. Encore is arguably one of the best yet overlooked moves in the game, and counters a shitload of tactics if you are good at reading your opponent.

These things generally don't give me too much trouble as long as they haven't put trick room up. You can often catch up setting up or recovering, which makes them susceptible to encore antics. Encore is arguably one of the best yet overlooked moves in the game, and counters a shitload of tactics if you are good at reading your opponent.
QFT. Encore pretty much means GG for Reuniclus if you have a pokemon with pursuit in your team.

This Pokemon is amazing my set (which is working great for me) looks a little something like this

Reuniclus@Flame Orb
Magic Guard
Relaxed 252HP/ Split for defenses
Psyshock/Psychic
Trick
Recover
Trick Room

Works brilliantly almost every time. Swap the FO over first turn, Trick room next, recover if needed and then take your orb back for later use, I have taken out 3 Pokemon without even using my Psyshock once.

poor shedinja is terrible and never sees any use
That may be so, but he has a point. One of the reasons why people were calling Reuniclus broken was because "OMG it haz no counters!" but a lot of things are good/ decent counters to Reuniclus that people never think of.

Previously in this thread, I mentioned that Houndoom and Scyther do a huge number on it and someone said that was a reason WHY it was broken, because I had to resort to using NU Pokemon to beat it. Just W.T.F.

The standard CBGross is another check, 2HKOing Reuniclus before being 2HKOd by Focus Blast (which is even less accurate than Meteor Mash). Please don't try to act like CBGross sucks, either.

CMJirachi with Psyshock is decent, too. It will 3HKO after they both arrive at +2, and shrugs off its hits while setting up. This is assuming no investment in SpA as well. Max SpA versions, Timid, can nearly 2HKO.

a lot of people use otr rein with shadow ball psychic focus blast and trick room. shadow ball hits shedinja

?_?

Revised set based on Forsety's input

Escavalier (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Megahorn
- Substitute
- Return
- Swords Dance

Pursuit is an option if you want to scare off switch happy Reuniclus, Latios or other Psychics/Ghosts. This set hard counters Reuniclus and as a bonus sets up on Ferrothorn for free. I use Return to hit pokemon that resist Megahorn hard. Ghosts and Steels still trouble the set, but it does the job it's meant to do.

investment problem cases aside, but its funny to think this thing hasdefenses comparable to pokemon that have defense that "they say" wet paper defenses but everyone say its bulky

HE take 15 % physically and 20 % specially better than excadrill physicaly and that isnt a lot.
Or maybe its excadril that is bulky ?

Trick Room + HP Fire will net you a vast amount of surprise OHKOs. Provided TR is in effect, any Bug/Steel or Forry switch in is looking to be instantly put down. Allows reliable damage against other Steel types, when Focus Miss isn't appreciated.

Anyone using TR should have it. 6att IVs and 6spd IVs will net the full 70 power, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)