Revenankh Analysis Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Holy moly this got a hell of a lot of replies in under 24Hrs. I'll go through them all and update the OP in just a minute. Then I'll come back and comment on everything.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Wrap will keep your opponent trapped even if you switch out, which gives you the option of either staying in to Bulk Up or switching to a counter.
No it doesn't. The trap is removed once the user switches.

Sunday

Ok guys, did some big work on the counters section. I realised a common theme in the counters was a posion typing, so I took advantage of that and grouped all the pposion types together instead of listing them seperatly.

I also did all the spelling mistakes everyone pointed out, thanks for that. Now I'm debating over which of the new sets people have mentioned should be included. Taunt should definatly be there as it stops most of his counters cold. Focus Punch probably deserves a spot, and I'm still reluctant to split the chaoice sets but will do so if recommended.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I don't really see why Hammer Arm is a bad thing for Choice Band. You'd think that with a rather average base attack of 105, Revenankh would want all the help it can get. You could just funnel the speed EVs to HP to make Revenankh last a bit longer.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Leafeon's another counter I'd probably be quite comfortable with. The standard set (Swords Dance/Baton Pass/Leaf Blade/Roar) can set up some SD's and hammer down on Revenankh with Leaf Blades or Roar away any Bulk Ups that he may have acquired. He's more than fast enough to get around Taunt temporarily and SD/BP. He resists Power Whip and his Defence makes Donphan and Hippo jealous. He could probably be mentioned alongside the other Bulky Grasses.

Scyther needs some love as he 4x resists Fight, has Roost, decent defences and can tear Revenankh a new one with Technician Aerial Ace (The Bulk Up set takes up to 90%). Similar for Scizor, albeit with more Defence, a Ghost resist instead of Fight resist and no STAB.

If you don't mind me asking...why doesn't this thing get WoW? Every single Ghost on the game learns it and it would make 90% of his counters obsolete...although I guess that's reason enough in itself. Just curious...

If you don't mind me asking...why doesn't this thing get WoW? Every single Ghost on the game learns it and it would make 90% of his counters obsolete...although I guess that's reason enough in itself. Just curious...
We voted against it. Reasons for this are balance (like you mentioned), theme (mummies don't use Will-o-Wisps, unlike the rest of the ghosts), and to not completely replace Dusknoir (although this was eventually dropped).

EDIT: And here's where I realize I was accidently using the wrong nature for Revenankh and now Celebi. Fix'd.

A few Revenankh (using the Bulk Up set) to Celebi (assuming 252 HP, 80 Defense. Calm Mind Passer as listed in analysis) damage calcs:

Shadow Punch, no Bulk Ups: 31.93% - 37.38%
Shadow Punch, one Bulk Up: 47.03% - 55.45%

Assuming that your Celebi is carrying 220 Defense EVs (the maximum listed):

No Bulk Up Shadow Punch: 28.22% - 33.17%
One Bulk Up Shadow Punch: 41.58% - 49.01%

Not a 2HKO.

Now for a Celebi's Psychic (no Special Attack EVs) to the same Revenankh: 57.03% - 67.19%

2HKO. It's messy, but Celebi can come in on a Bulk Up and outspeed Revenankh, killing with Psychic before Revenankh can hope to get it with Shadow Punch.

I don't know what calculator you used, but using the Netbattle one here's what I got:

A Bulk Up Revenankh against a CM Celebi (252 HP, 80 Defense as listed in analysis) damage calcs:

Shadow Punch, no Bulk Ups: 28% - 33%
Shadow Punch, one Bulk Up: 41 - 49%

Assuming that your Celebi is carrying 220 Defense EVs (the maximum listed, and Bold):

No Bulk Up Shadow Punch: 23% - 27%
One Bulk Up Shadow Punch: 33% -39%

Now for a Celebi's Psychic (no Special Attack EVs) to the Bulk Up (the most defensive) Revenankh: 38% - 45%

And keep in mind many Revenankh will run Shadow Sneak.

Now, for the Life Orb set I posted:

Against CM Celebi
Shadow Punch: 56% - 66%
Shadow Sneak: 38% -44%

Against Bold Celebi
Shadow Punch: 45% - 53%
Shadow Sneak: 30% -36%

I guess using Shadow Punch or Shadow Sneak on the Life Orb set comes down to who you have more problems with: Celebi or Gengar. If Celebi comes in on a Shadow Punch, it'll be forced to continuously recover, and it will eventually lose to a crit.

Sorry for the double post. I made some modifications to the Life Orb set I posted before.

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Hammer Arm
move 2: Shadow Sneak/ Shadow Punch
move 3: Power Whip/ Ice Punch
move 4: Moonlight/ Rest
item: Life Orb
ability: Air Lock/ Shed Skin
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Speed

[SET COMMENTS]
With the given EVs and Life Orb, Revenankh reaches 440 attack. This set has a very similar feel to a MixMence carrying Roost. Hammer Arm is your standard Fighting move, and is non-negotiable. Shadow Sneak vs. Shadow Punch comes down to who your team fears more: Gengar or Celebi. Power Whip is to cover Bulky Waters and Grounds like Suicune, Vaporeon, Hippowdon, and Donphan, who aren't hit that hard by Hammer Arm. It also doesn't leave you helpless against Gyarados. Ice Punch is for fliers and Dragons, giving Revenankh complete coverage against its weaknesses.

Both Rest and Moonlight are on this set, but I'll explain why I believe Moonlight is the superior form of healing here. First of all, Revenankh is a rather bulky Pokemon, and its ability to take hits and still dish out considerable damage is what makes it stand out amongst other more frail LO users. In the ever-present Sandstorm of OU, you really don't want to be losing 16% of your health each round. Also, unlike the Bulk Up set, the lack of investment in defense means that you really can't risk taking too many hits while sleeping. However, if your team lacks a way to absorb status moves, Revenankh can work as a pseudo status absorber with ShedRest.

Below are some damage calcs for the set:

Hammer Arm vs. Standard Blissy: 100%

Hammer Arm vs. Supporter Bronzong: 52% - 62%

Shadow Punch vs. Bold, 252HP/220Def Celebi: 45% - 53%

Hammer Arm vs. Forretress: 36% - 43%

Ice Punch vs. Garchomp: 100%

Hammer Arm vs. Garchomp: 59% - 69%

Shadow Sneak vs. Standard Gengar: 95% - 100%

Ice Punch vs. Standard Gliscor: 71% - 84%

Power Whip vs. Buly Gyarados: 41% - 49%

Power Whip vs. 252HP/252Def Hippowdon*: 50% - 58%

Hammer Arm vs. Skarmory°: 37 - 43%

*It'll only do more damage to other Bulky Waters and Grounds weak to Grass.

° Considering you're slower, Skarmory will go down the moment it uses Roost. This just shows that Skarmory can't switch into a Hammer Arm and Roost off the damage. Watch out for Brave Bird obviously.

That's enough for now. If people are interested I'll do more calcs.

EDIT: Also Yanmega is definitely a counter with 86HP/86Def, a quad Fighting and Grass resistance, and the major threat it poses with Air Slash.

Sunday

I If Celebi comes in on a Shadow Punch, it'll be forced to continuously recover, and it will eventually lose to a crit.
Your Life Orb (+ Sandstorm probably) will put you within Celebi's KO range more often than a critical hit will happen.

I always consider Leftovers recovery to be there when Revenankh is in play, if only because of my prefernece for Air Lock with this set. And against the Bold Celebi which is much more common, you'll basically need a crit. as you'll always be doing around 45% to it on average with Leftovers factored in.

I figured that for an individual Choice Scarf set, the appropriate EVs could be 252 Atk/188 Spe/68 HP with Jolly nature, as it would outrun all non-Scarf Gengars - who would otherwise be pretty threatning with either Shadow Ball or Hypnosis - and allows you to hit hard with Shadow Punch. Also beats all other base 110s

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Drapion can set up Swords Dance or Toxic Spikes and Whirlwind away any Bulk Ups,
it takes normal damage from fighting attacks, i doubt it will like a LO/BU/CB Hammer Arm

but Revenankh can't do much in return without Bulk Up and Thunder Punch.
SE Thunderpunch has 150 base power, so does STAB Hammer Arm. I think Tpunch should be removed from the choice band set as only Gyra is hit harder.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
LOL yup that need changeing LS.
and do you plan to split the Choice set? I think I have given good reasons but if i have not convinced you can we talk on shoddy?

also i see the LO set made by Jonathan as much a better option than the 3 attacks set that is in there now.

Sunday

it takes normal damage from fighting attacks, i doubt it will like a LO/BU/CB Hammer Arm

SE Thunderpunch has 150 base power, so does STAB Hammer Arm. I think Tpunch should be removed from the choice band set as only Gyra is hit harder.
It's already been stated that Thunderpunch is only for Gyara.Who by the way is a pretty dam solid counter at the moment.
LOL yup that need changeing LS.
and do you plan to split the Choice set? I think I have given good reasons but if i have not convinced you can we talk on shoddy?

also i see the LO set made by Jonathan as much a better option than the 3 attacks set that is in there now.
The problem with that is splitting one set into three that with a Pokemon that only has four viable offencive moves and maybe two support (Taunt + Knock Off) I don't see how it can't be covered in under five sets. The Life Orb set looks exactly like the Choice Band set quite frankly, so I'll probably just put Choice Band / Life Orb and fuse them into one set. Choice Scarf can be seperate as it requires different EVs. I'll work on them a bit today but I've got to go away on a little easter trip so don't think I've abbandoned them if they're not up by the next time you see this.

Killing all mentions of ThunderPunch. But seriously this thing needs all the offencive options it can get, it's begening to rival Cherrim XD

^ Wasn't aware Gyarados could even learn Fly. All this time, I though Dos was flightless but now that I know it has double STAB, I can use him to his full potential. Waterfall/Fly/DD/Taunt...unbeatable.

eric the espeon

The problem with that is splitting one set into three that with a Pokemon that only has four viable offencive moves and maybe two support (Taunt + Knock Off) I don't see how it can't be covered in under five sets.
I do, you put the best 2-3 options in the set, and say in [set comments] that the other moves are viable.
The Life Orb set looks exactly like the Choice Band set quite frankly, so I'll probably just put Choice Band / Life Orb and fuse them into one set.
IMO LO is closer to 3 Attacks than CB as they both have recovery and can switch moves, LO woth out recovery is a bad idea so you would have to add a recovery move to the CB set confuseing many people.

Choice Scarf can be seperate as it requires different EVs.
:-)

Sunday

Well if I did that every set would be exactly the same, except for item and maybe form of healing. Six sets for this thing is incredibly overkill.

Seriously though the only difference between Life Orb and Choice Band is item and healing. They're similar enough IMO. I'm going to make the changes now, tell me what you think.

EDIT: Dam, I gotta run. :( I'll edit in before the american High time though.
EDIT2: Dam merging those two is harder said then done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)