Pokémon Salazzle

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to use nasty plot Salazzle, you're definitely gonna need to sash her imo.

Salazzle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb / Sludge Wave (Use Sludge Bomb if you willing to use a slightly weaker move in exchange for a higher poison chance; I prefer it tbh)
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse / Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Fighting
(If you want to run HP Grass/Fighting, IVs will differ of/c)

I've tried this set out. I've actually swept a couple times with a nasty plot up, but the set has some counters. Rocks/Spikes break her sash, so be careful with those. It's also difficult to keep her out long enough to sweep bc she's so frail. But she is crazy powerful with a nasty plot up, so it's pretty fun to use if you can pull it off. c:

The problem is it's weaknesses may not be many, but they are commonly used. Ignoring SE hits like you suggest, neutral and even some x2 resists cripple it if not kill it. That makes it very dicey making those Toxic/WoW switches because if the enemy predicts the switch and has even moderate damage potential, you'll be in a bad position.

With Joroda's set I can see her coming in on a passive wall with no offensive typing advantages. Salazalle shouldn't swap into a hit unless it is very safe. That in mind, usually safe switch ins is a very sweeper-eque characteristic; not so much for a toxic stallers which commonly fill a role as tank. I will say the strategy is sound but it feels high-risk-low-reward and very situational.

Anyways, I'll probably give it a test run at some point because I love gimmicks and unique move sets so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Well like I said, her raw brittleness and common Earthquake weakness are not to be overlooked. I just feel that Toxic and Will-O-Wisp being her only safe switch exaggerates it just a bit. Getting a frail mon like her in safely is always a gamble but the opportunities are there.

If you want to use nasty plot Salazzle, you're definitely gonna need to sash her imo.

Salazzle @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb / Sludge Wave (Use Sludge Bomb if you willing to use a slightly weaker move in exchange for a higher poison chance; I prefer it tbh)
- Flamethrower

I've tried this set out. I've actually swept a couple times with a nasty plot up, but the set has some counters. Rocks/Spikes break her sash, so be careful with those. It's also difficult to keep her out long enough to sweep bc she's so frail. But she is crazy powerful with a nasty plot up, so it's pretty fun to use if you can pull it off. c:
Why not HP Ground for Rock-types, Toxapex (although it will likely only tickle) and Heatran?

Salazzle @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Flamethrower

What are the HP EVs for?

I think a lot of the HP moves could work for this set tbh, I just included the ones that I personally used that worked out well
Especially since, because of Hyper Training, IVs can always be maxed out.

Which brings me to my question: Has Hyper Training been included on showdown?

I really want this thing to be viable, but it`s so difficult to use. Finding an opportunity to set up in this meta is hard.

Salazzle is frail but against mons who are meant to be walls she works pretty nicely. She can go up against the likes of Toxapex, Ferrothorn, etc and either scare them away and get a free sub/NP or poison them. She can then stall it out, poison the switch in, or proceed to deal some heavy damage. I like black sludge with her.
I had a similar thought on the Toxapex thread. Salazzle can use the threat of Toxic to force out something like Toxapex or Heatran, predict the opponent's switch, and whack the switch-in with a Fire Blast or Sludge Wave/Bomb. With her pretty-good-but-not-amazing Special Attack and great speed, that free turn of damage could be enough to land a 2HKO against something that would otherwise OHKO Salazzle in return, especially if the foe has taken prior and/or hazard damage. Though of course, going for such a play is incredibly risky, especially against Heatran. And I'm pretty sure just going for Toxic would probably be better on a Sub+Disable set.

After playing with Salazzle so much and trying to make use of its unique ability I have found that its been most successful being a special sweeper running sash+nasty plot, fire blast, sludge bomb, hp ice/ground would be its best bet.

I also enjoyed playing with sub/protect, toxic, disable, fire blast set too! If you can predict a EQ or Rock Slide user you can disable their move and then begin to poison them. Maybe force a switch in and due to its ability get a free toxic in. After you've gotten 1 or 2 toxics (hopefully 2) in and go out spamming fire blast you can bring in a bulky toxapex with the merciless ability and begin critical-venoshocking all poisoned monsters

I really want to make this pokemon work! Its one of my favorite and I have waited for a poison/fire typing for so long!

Here's a set that capitalizes on her ability, I knew it would work since I gave Frosslass a similar setup:

Salazzle @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Disable
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Venom Drench/ Venoshock / taunt

Basically switch in on something it forces out, get a free sub while they switch. Toxic anything that comes in and since she outspeeds most mons, she will be able to sub while they attack. Use disable on any attack they use that is super effective, rendering them only able to use coverage moves that won't be able to OHKO her usually. When ever she is behind a sub, and they haven't broken it and are already poisoned, use Venom Drench to further cripple them(to the point where coverage moves won't break subs anymore, and in the case of mons that outspeed her, will not be slower after a single Drench, such as Tapu Koko) or Venoshock to hit em hard with a 130 bp before STAB move. She forced a few forfeits after the entire team got Toxified, and nobody was fast enough to break her sub. Chansey with clerical skills is a problem though, so you might want to replace the fourth slot with taunt. It wouldn't be a problem since no mon in the meta is immune to her venom.

Here's a similar build, with Frosslass, which has been really succesful on the will o wisp front.

Froslass @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Disable
- Substitute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)