Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
Sorry for being a weeb, but I was watching a Korone clip and noticed that Eiscue's Ice Face reactivated while it was snowing.

Here's how it is currently on Showdown: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1722918533

Here's the Korone clip in question:

Basically what happened:
Turn 1: Pyroar was caught by surprise and couldn't move, Eiscue used Headbutt
Turn 2: Eiscue terastallizes into Tera-Ice, Pyroar uses Fire Fang and breaks Ice Face, Eiscue uses Freeze Dry, freezes Pyroar
at the end of Turn 2, Ice Face activates and Eiscue gets back its Ice Face form.

It starts snowing around the time she teras, and stops snowing after she catches the Pyroar.

the Ice Face stuff starts around 7:42:30, the battle ends around 7:43:50 when she catches the Pyroar.

Can someone confirm this?

Hi. Another set of results.

If a Pokemon gains an Ability Shield after that Pokemon's Ability has already been suppressed by direct means, such as Gastro Acid, then the suppressed Ability will not resume its functioning upon the Pokemon receiving the Ability Shield. However, in the case of Neutralizing Gas, a Pokemon's Ability will resume functioning immediately upon it receiving an Ability Shield.

Interestingly, it seems Ability Shield is not disabled by Klutz. This means that the "(Pokemon)'s Ability is protected by the effects of its Ability Shield!" alert continues to display as normal when something attempts to affect the Ability Shield holder's Ability, such as Neutralizing Gas or Gastro Acid. For further confirmation, the "Active Battle States and Effects" menu does not show the "No Ability" modifier when checking after the Klutz + Ability Shield Pokemon is hit by Gastro Acid.

Yes. Sleep Talk can call Revival Blessing and the called Revival Blessing functions as it normally does. :blobastonished:

These work similarly to Gen 8 in basic tests. See urkerab's comment. Skill Swapping Gale Wings did indeed allow Flying-type moves to gain priority on the same turn, and Knocking Off a Lagging Tail did not change the turn order.

Mycelium Might behaves like Stall or Lagging Tail as far as I can tell from a basic test. Skill Swapping Mycelium Might away from a slower partner did not make that partner move any sooner than it would have otherwise.
When you say the Pokémon’s ability becomes active immediately upon receiving Ability Shield during Neutralizing Gas, does that mean things like Intimidate would go off right away? If so, then if two Pokémon with Intimidate and Ability Shields swapped them using Trick during Neutralizing Gas, would they both reactivate?

Came across this.

Mostly matters for Battle Stadium but thought it was worth sharing.

(For clarity, I just found the tweet and didn't do this research.)
Can we check if this effects raids snd regular battles too? I remember Play Rough missing an absurd amount of times consectuively, and other streamers wondering if the accuracy was 90% still because the misses seemed to be way more common.

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Can we check if this effects raids snd regular battles too? I remember Play Rough missing an absurd amount of times consectuively, and other streamers wondering if the accuracy was 90% still because the misses seemed to be way more common.
Regular wild battles and Tera Raids (online and offline) are using a random seed properly as far as I can tell.

Will add that: This affects both Battle Stadium Singles and Doubles.

Last edited:

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
When you say the Pokémon’s ability becomes active immediately upon receiving Ability Shield during Neutralizing Gas, does that mean things like Intimidate would go off right away? If so, then if two Pokémon with Intimidate and Ability Shields swapped them using Trick during Neutralizing Gas, would they both reactivate?
Great point that I didn't think to test initially. On further testing, it seems that Intimidate does not trigger when receiving an Ability Shield if it was initially suppressed. Passive Abilities like Effect Spore and Water Absorb are restored, though.

Here's a playlist that I think contains footage for almost every claim I've made in this thread so far, since I said I'd make one in my last post. Includes stuff like Ditto Transform mechanics for Terastallization, Mycelium Might Skill Swap turn order, Klutz + Ability Shield NGas and Gastro Acid, and Terastallized Flying-types retaining their Typing on Roost. Some may be mislabeled by mistake, so let me know if anything is amiss.

Great point that I didn't think to test initially. On further testing, it seems that Intimidate does not trigger when receiving an Ability Shield if it was initially suppressed. Passive Abilities like Effect Spore and Water Absorb are restored, though.

Here's a playlist that I think contains footage for almost every claim I've made in this thread so far, since I said I'd make one in my last post. Includes stuff like Ditto Transform mechanics for Terastallization, Mycelium Might Skill Swap turn order, Klutz + Ability Shield NGas and Gastro Acid, and Terastallized Flying-types retaining their Typing on Roost. Some may be mislabeled by mistake, so let me know if anything is amiss.
Thanks! Sorry, but one more thing: if Intimidate doesn’t activate initially upon receiving the Ability Shield, does it activate when Neutralizing Gas leaves the field?

Can a Ditto transformed into a Tatsugiri go into a Dodonzo's mouth? Likewise, can a Ditto transformed into a Dodonzo put a Tatsugiri in its mouth? What if Tatsugiri and Dodonzo are both transformed Dittos? (I assume that last part will work if both the others work)

What happens if a Pokémon eats a Berry then gains Cud Chew the next turn? Will it still regurgitate the Berry it ate on the turn prior, or is the Berry only saved to be regurgitated when a Pokémon eats a Berry while having Cud Chew? Same question regarding Neutralizing Gas being present at the time the Berry was eaten but then gone by the end of the next turn.

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
Thanks! Sorry, but one more thing: if Intimidate doesn’t activate initially upon receiving the Ability Shield, does it activate when Neutralizing Gas leaves the field?
Hi. Intimidate does activate upon Neutralizing Gas leaving the field. I should have thought to include this in the original post, so apologies for any inconvenience. Edit: Realised that you probably meant specifically in the case of it being initially suppressed before the target receives an Ability Shield. Yes, it still activates when Neutralizing Gas exits the field even though it doesn't at the moment the target receives the Ability Shield.

Can a Ditto transformed into a Tatsugiri go into a Dodonzo's mouth? Likewise, can a Ditto transformed into a Dodonzo put a Tatsugiri in its mouth? What if Tatsugiri and Dodonzo are both transformed Dittos? (I assume that last part will work if both the others work)
A Ditto Transformed into a Commander Tatsugiri cannot enter a Dondozo's mouth, and a Ditto Transformed into a Dondozo cannot put a Commander Tatsugiri in its mouth. I cannot test the case of both being Ditto at the moment, though it's somewhat unlikely to work considering the other tests. Footage link.

As an extra note, I added some more footage that I forgot in the initial post for mechanics. This includes Confusion damage not triggering Electromorphosis, Gale Wings not boosting Tera Blast when Terastallized into a Flying-type, Zero to Hero being unaffected by Neutralizing Gas, and the initial test for Ability Shield blocking Neutralizing Gas.

Last edited:
Regular wild battles and Tera Raids (online and offline) are using a random seed properly as far as I can tell.

Will add that: This affects both Battle Stadium Singles and Doubles.
Not something that affects Showdown but I wonder if other kinds of RNG could be off. I've had the same teams for multiple raids in a row for a few days.
EDIT: I have had Umbreon, Sylveon, Staraptor for my NPC Partners in pretty much each of the dozen raids I've done today.
EDIT2: Have continued doing raids pretty constantly and just now got new partners. I did try turning off internet to see if that would fix it but it did not. I did go back online for a raid so that could have fixed it? (But considering I went to the home menu it could also be that)
EDIT3: There may be something with online and RNG.

Last edited:
Do we know the interaction between Pixilate & Tera Blast? If Sylveon Tera’d into the Normal type, will Tera Blast stay Normal or turn Fairy & be boosted by Pixilate?

Something I just found myself: Ability Shield even prevents Trace from activating! What’s especially strange is that rather than simply waiting to lose the Ability Shield to Trace a new ability like it does when it initially begins vs. something like Disguise, Trace shuts down completely as it won’t activate when the Ability Shield is removed. What I’d like to see tested further but can’t on my own is:
  • If Trace holding Ability Shield switches in vs. an untraceable ability, does Ability Shield still announce itself?
    • What if the untraceable ability is replaced with a traceable one?
    • What if the Ability Shield is removed first?
  • If Trace switches in against an untraceable ability, then obtains an Ability Shield, and then the untraceable ability is replaced, what happens?
  • What if, rather than a standard untraceable ability, the opposing ability is Ability 0 aka “No Ability”?
See this post for the usual Trace/Ability 0 interaction https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...chanics-research.3586701/page-76#post-7790209 (actually, does this even still happen?)

Last edited:
Not something that affects Showdown but I wonder if other kinds of RNG could be off. I've had the same teams for multiple raids in a row for a few days.
EDIT: I have had Umbreon, Sylveon, Staraptor for my NPC Partners in pretty much each of the dozen raids I've done today.
EDIT2: Have continued doing raids pretty constantly and just now got new partners. I did try turning off internet to see if that would fix it but it did not. I did go back online for a raid so that could have fixed it? (But considering I went to the home menu it could also be that)
EDIT3: There may be something with online and RNG.
Were they the special Eevee raids or just regular ones? Because if they were Eevee ones, it's possible they may have set which partners you get (given that 2 of them are Eeveelutions).
Do we know the interaction between Pixilate & Tera Blast? If Sylveon Tera’d into the Normal type, will Tera Blast stay Normal or turn Fairy & be boosted by Pixilate?
Typically moves that change type via inherent effects can't be affected by outside type changing. Moves like Weather Ball and Terrain Pulse for example are never affected by the -ate abilities, even when they would be Normal type.

Typically moves that change type via inherent effects can't be affected by outside type changing. Moves like Weather Ball and Terrain Pulse for example are never affected by the -ate abilities, even when they would be Normal type.
However there is a interesting thing where Tera-Blast on my Pixilate Sylveon is actually fairy type before Teraing.
Sadly since my Sylveon is Tera-Fire, i can't exactly check what happens after that (after Teraing, it correctly becomes Fire Type)

However there is a interesting thing where Tera-Blast on my Pixilate Sylveon is actually fairy type before Teraing.
Sadly since my Sylveon is Tera-Fire, i can't exactly check what happens after that (after Teraing, it correctly becomes Fire Type)
Interesting, now I need someone to check Weather Ball/Terrain Pulse with no effects active to see if they work on them now, or if this is a Tera Blast exclusive thing.

Which it might be, given it clearly doesn't change type by the standard method since it's unaffected by Gale Wings.

I assume it also gets the Pixilate boost?
it clearly doesn't change type by the standard method since it's unaffected by Gale Wings.
Gale Wings has never affected Flying-type Hidden Power, Natural Gift or Judgment, so it seems reasonable that it doesn't affect Flying-type Tera Blast either.

Were they the special Eevee raids or just regular ones? Because if they were Eevee ones, it's possible they may have set which partners you get (given that 2 of them are Eeveelutions).
I did all of the ones that were up then moved on to the non-eeveelution raids with the team (Umbreon, Sylveon ý I should note that something similar happend the day before (with a team of Umbreon, Garganacl, and Mudsdale) too.

We might want to look into how Curse interacts with Tera. It sounds like it cuts your HP in half and gives you the stat changes if the base Pokémon is a Ghost-type?
This rather sounds like the next time it used curse after no longer being terastallized and returning to being ghost, the move killed it. Now what would be more interesting to find out is if curse still bugs out if the user gains the ghost typing mid turn. Previously a non-ghost Pokémon using curse and then changing into a ghost type before it can execute the move would cut its HP in half and then proceed to target itself with the curse. Was this ever fixed in Sword/Shield? With every Pokémon being able to become every type this should be more relevant than ever.

This rather sounds like the next time it used curse after no longer being terastallized and returning to being ghost, the move killed it. Now what would be more interesting to find out is if curse still bugs out if the user gains the ghost typing mid turn. Previously a non-ghost Pokémon using curse and then changing into a ghost type before it can execute the move would cut its HP in half and then proceed to target itself with the curse. Was this ever fixed in Sword/Shield? With every Pokémon being able to become every type this should be more relevant than ever.
That’s not really a bug, that’s the move working as intended. You target yourself with curse while you’re not a ghost type, then you become ghost type before using the move, so you target yourself with ghost-type curse. Cutting your hp to inflict yourself w curse is just what happens when you use ghost curse on yourself. Really the only way to “fix” this would be to have the move fail if you become ghost type mid-turn which would be lame af. Also in the link they’re just saying that the Pokémon killed itself with the cost of ghost curse, which all ghost types can do. This only really can happen in-game where wild tera Pokémon lose their tera at low hp. It could also happen by choosing to use curse on the turn you tera ghost, but if you do that it’s your own fault lol.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)