Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

If Tatsugiri hides in Dondozo's mouth with Commander, is it affected by any other conditions it already suffers like Poison? Also, at what point does hiding in Dondozo's mouth occur: Immediately on entering the field (presumably after hazards), end of a turn where it's not swallowed, beginning of next, etc?
Immediately when Dondozo hits the field (Interrupting any moves Tatsugiri would use) and yes it is affected by other status conditions, hence why a lot of them hold Toxic Orb

Not super relevant at the moment, just curious: since Spectral Thief (ST) has not been axed despite Marshadow not currently being coded in, has its functionality been updated for the new items/abilities?

e.g.,
  • Does clear amulet prevent it from stealing boosts? [I would guess not, since clear body did not block ST's effect.]
  • If boosts are stolen from a mon, does the boost of the thief activate mirror herb/opportunist on the foe's side or costar on your own side in doubles? [I would guess yes.]
  • Since protosynthesis/quark drive boost the direct base stat, and don't provide a stage boost, I can only imagine they cannot be stolen by ST.
  • In SwSh ST could steal boosts from raid bosses when the shield is up, does that work in Tera raids? [I would guess in principle yes, but since Tera raids are a trainwreck at times it might not work properly...]

Not super relevant at the moment, just curious: since Spectral Thief (ST) has not been axed despite Marshadow not currently being coded in, has its functionality been updated for the new items/abilities?

e.g.,
  • Does clear amulet prevent it from stealing boosts? [I would guess not, since clear body did not block ST's effect.]
  • If boosts are stolen from a mon, does the boost of the thief activate mirror herb/opportunist on the foe's side or costar on your own side in doubles? [I would guess yes.]
  • Since protosynthesis/quark drive boost the direct base stat, and don't provide a stage boost, I can only imagine they cannot be stolen by ST.
  • In SwSh ST could steal boosts from raid bosses when the shield is up, does that work in Tera raids? [I would guess in principle yes, but since Tera raids are a trainwreck at times it might not work properly...]
At least according to Serebii, Spectral Thief has been snapped. ...Who's right, then?

At least according to Serebii, Spectral Thief has been snapped. ...Who's right, then?
On the page of unavailable moves, Serebii may just be listing all moves that do not appear in a legitimate learnset, and the message at the top of the page claiming you can't use the move in game may be an error (or maybe Serebii doesn't care about the distinction here because the moves would need to be hacked onto a mon). If you go to the actual move page for, e.g., Spectral Thief or Meteor Assault, which are not on the list of removed moves from the Datamine thread, they have all of their data there (including new flags for Wind, sharp move), whereas if you go to the page of a removed move like Barrier it lists the "this move cannot be used" text.

It could currently be unusable at the moment, but it seems like it hasn't been snapped.

On the page of unavailable moves, Serebii may just be listing all moves that do not appear in a legitimate learnset, and the message at the top of the page claiming you can't use the move in game may be an error (or maybe Serebii doesn't care about the distinction here because the moves would need to be hacked onto a mon). If you go to the actual move page for, e.g., Spectral Thief or Meteor Assault, which are not on the list of removed moves from the Datamine thread, they have all of their data there (including new flags for Wind, sharp move), whereas if you go to the page of a removed move like Barrier it lists the "this move cannot be used" text.

It could currently be unusable at the moment, but it seems like it hasn't been snapped.
That list of removed moves that you mentioned also conspicuously lacks Core Enforcer, Thousand Arrows, Anchor Shot, Bolt Beak, and Double Iron Bash but contains Heart Swap.

Since the Gen 9 Balanced Hackmons thread has consistently behaved as if SThief, Core, and AShot have been snapped and rendered unusable:

Which of these moves have indeed been snapped and rendered unusable and/or unable to be hacked in?
  • Spectral Thief
  • Core Enforcer
  • Thousand Arrows
  • Thousand Waves
  • Anchor Shot
  • Heart Swap
  • Oblivion Wing
  • Bolt Beak
  • Fishious Rend
  • Double Iron Bash

That list of removed moves that you mentioned also conspicuously lacks Core Enforcer, Thousand Arrows, Anchor Shot, Bolt Beak, and Double Iron Bash but contains Heart Swap.

Since the Gen 9 Balanced Hackmons thread has consistently behaved as if SThief, Core, and AShot have been snapped and rendered unusable:

Which of these moves have indeed been snapped and rendered unusable and/or unable to be hacked in?
  • Spectral Thief
  • Core Enforcer
  • Thousand Arrows
  • Thousand Waves
  • Anchor Shot
  • Heart Swap
  • Oblivion Wing
  • Bolt Beak
  • Fishious Rend
  • Double Iron Bash
Check this move data sheet from the battle mechanics thread for reference. All the moves with the CanUseMove flag are highlighted in green for convenience.

The serebii page is pretty accurate. The pastebin falls into the same pitfall from early SWSH where it just goes off the generic removed move description and not the actual flag, which SWSH didn't really change for signature moves that wouldn't be transferrable at the time and SV just hasn't changed any descriptions in that regard either.

Check this move data sheet from the battle mechanics thread for reference. All the moves with the CanUseMove flag are highlighted in green for convenience.

The serebii page is pretty accurate. The pastebin falls into the same pitfall from early SWSH where it just goes off the generic removed move description and not the actual flag, which SWSH didn't really change for signature moves that wouldn't be transferrable at the time and SV just hasn't changed any descriptions in that regard either.
Interesting! Guess I shouldn't have doubted Serebii; didn't know there was a separate flag, just the generic description, so thought it might've been a copy/paste error with the description at the top. That makes my question moot for now, then.

So is there any functional distinction between "removed" moves and moves disabled by the flag? e.g., are there moves that are (semi)-functional if the flag is forced to True, versus moves that have had their original function wiped and so don't do anything even if the flag is forced to True?

Interesting! Guess I shouldn't have doubted Serebii; didn't know there was a separate flag, just the generic description, so thought it might've been a copy/paste error with the description at the top. That makes my question moot for now, then.

So is there any functional distinction between "removed" moves and moves disabled by the flag? e.g., are there moves that are (semi)-functional if the flag is forced to True, versus moves that have had their original function wiped and so don't do anything even if the flag is forced to True?
In SwSh they all worked, more or less, regardless of the description.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Another set of mechanics tests with Karthik:

• Make it Rain / Pay Day don't play their flavor text in battles with other players. I checked older generations and it's behaved that way since Gen 5 (same with G-Max Gold Rush).
  • The old double Eject Pack interaction with Dynamax, which allowed a Pokemon to switch out, switch back in, and Dynamax on the same turn, does not work with Terastallization in SV.
  • If Palafin faints in its Hero form, it is revived in its Hero form. Note that being KOed before switching out initially does not turn it into Hero form.
  • If Revival Blessing is used to revive an ally before it had a chance to move that turn, its move is still canceled for that turn.
  • Dragon Darts can still attack the user if the attacker uses it into an ally that has Telepathy and used Ally Switch.
  • Haze can remove stat changes from a commanding Tatsugiri.
  • Sheer Force always boosts Order Up, and it does not remove the stat increase from the move.
  • A Pokemon using a contact punching move with Tough Claws and Punching Glove will only receive the Punching Glove boost.
  • If the BP of an attack is lowered below 60, the Tera buff can boost it back to 60 BP (Grassy Terrain Earthquake used to demonstrate).
  • Pledge moves cannot gain double STAB via Terastallization (either by Terastallizing into the Pledge move type or Terastallizing away from it).
  • If a Protean user changes type prior to Terastallization, it gains STAB from that changed type after Terastallization. Switching in and and out will reset their "base typing" back to normal.
  • Both Wind Power / Electromorphosis simply set the Charge effect. Like is already known, Charge does not remove its boost effect until you select an Electric-type attack.
  • A rumor with Behemoth Bash having Body Press-like behavior is not true.

Last edited:
The Punching Glove seems really poorly thought out... I don't know why they seem to hate punching moves so much lmao. Also I figured Electromorphosis only had a single effect proc, which is why it's extra puzzling that the ability slideout is like. constant.

There's apparently a Sheer Force flag, but its not on all moves that are affected by Sheer Force. DaWoblefet said above that it affected Order Up but it didn't remove the secondary effect, which caught my eye since that was one of the moves that had the SheerForce flag.
Perhaps the flag sets moves affected by sheer force to not have their secondary effect removed? Apple Acid is another move with this flag, can someone test that?

A Pokemon using a contact punching move with Tough Claws and Punching Glove will only receive the Punching Glove boost.
Going off of this, I wanted to see how Fluffy interacts with Punching Glove.

Greavard has Fluffy with a 91 Def stat
Primeape is Lv. 46 with a 106 Atk stat
0 Atk Primeape Rage Fist (50 BP) vs. Fluffy Greavard:
Assumed range: 21-25
22 damage (109/131 HP)
21 damage (110/131 HP)
25 damage (106/131 HP)
22 damage (109/131 HP)
21 damage (110/131 HP)

0 Atk Punching Glove Primeape Rage Fist (50 BP) vs. Greavard:
Assumed range: 44-54
48 damage (83/131 HP)
52 damage (79/131 HP)
46 damage (85/131 HP)
54 damage (77/131 HP)
50 damage (81/131 HP)
50 damage (81/131 HP)
44 damage (87/131 HP)
Punching Glove does ignore a defender's Fluffy ability.

There's apparently a Sheer Force flag, but its not on all moves that are affected by Sheer Force. DaWoblefet said above that it affected Order Up but it didn't remove the secondary effect, which caught my eye since that was one of the moves that had the SheerForce flag.
Perhaps the flag sets moves affected by sheer force to not have their secondary effect removed? Apple Acid is another move with this flag, can someone test that?
Perhaps the SheerForce Flag is added to any move with a Beneficial effect beyond damage, but they code those benefits as "primary" effects if the move is either a Signature for a non-SF user like Order Up, or the move has a weird condition that it can't skip checking/checks earlier for other reasons (in this case, if Dondozo has a Commander Tatsugiri partner)

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
Turn 1: Gigaton Hammer
Turn 2: Full Para
Turn 3: Gigaton Hammer still not selectable???

is this really how it works!?
Yes, you cannot use the move if it was the last move you used, regardless of whatever happens in between the first time you use it and the second time you use it. You could use it, be put to sleep for three turns, wake up, and still not be able to use it.

The only exception to not being able to use it consecutively is if you get Encore'd (where you will be forced to struggle after the turn) or Instruct'd, or call it with Sleep Talk (and Copycat probably).

I have a quick question about Population Bomb.
What are the chances for it to hit over 5 times?
Multihit moves have a 35% chance to hit a 2nd time, and another 35% for a 3rd time, then the 4th and 5th hits each have a 15% chance.
Do every hit from 6 to 10 also have a 15% chance of happening? Is it an even smaller chance? Does it work in a completely different way, or...?
It works like Triple Kick, where each hit has an independent accuracy check, and if it misses once the move ends.

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Is it possible to make pursuit clickable like it was done there with unclickable moves in SWSH?

If it is clickable: if a Pokemon teras and uses pursuit while the opponent is switching out, does it teras after or before using the move?

Is it possible to make pursuit clickable like it was done there with unclickable moves in SWSH?

If it is clickable: if a Pokemon teras and uses pursuit while the opponent is switching out, does it teras after or before using the move?
Pursuit doesn't exist anymore.

But, assuming Tera occurs in the same phase a Mega Evolution did, it would always happen before any Pokémon tried to switch out. So before probably.

This isn't really the thread for NatDex only hypotheticals though.

MOVESET on RABSCA ERROR

Rellor Egg Moves

I wanted to try Rabsca with Cosmic Power + Stored Power combo, but it said "not obtainable outside of hacking/glitches". I scrolled up and saw that being talked about, but I'm pretty sure Rellor can learn Cosmic Power via breeding...It just needs to breed with another Rellor/Rabsca with the one you want having 3 move slots. Is this a coding error, misunderstanding, and or just missed it?

Also Memento isn't working as well, but it saids it cannot learn Memento and Weather Ball, while it is also an egg move for Rellor...this can complete turn people away from using it. REALLY unfair for its usage because I am sure more people will use it because of the niche Revival Blessing . This could be the case of a lot of mons but I just notice this one particular. Only Egg Move that works for it is Recover.

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Pursuit doesn't exist anymore.

But, assuming Tera occurs in the same phase a Mega Evolution did, it would always happen before any Pokémon tried to switch out. So before probably.

This isn't really the thread for NatDex only hypotheticals though.
Apologies if this is not the right thread, this will be my last post about Pursuit in this thread if this is the case. The move still is in the code unless i understood something wrong (datamine), like it was in SS.

I still would like to have definitive confirmation (not through guesswork) that even through hacking there is no way to make use of pursuit, especially since other requests involving hacking were answered in this thread (Examples: Battle bond, Arceus, sheer force + order up). There is no guarantee NatDex would take this information into account, but this is still something I would like to know if it is possible.

MOVESET on RABSCA ERROR

Rellor Egg Moves

I wanted to try Rabsca with Cosmic Power + Stored Power combo, but it said "not obtainable outside of hacking/glitches". I scrolled up and saw that being talked about, but I'm pretty sure Rellor can learn Cosmic Power via breeding...It just needs to breed with another Rellor/Rabsca with the one you want having 3 move slots. Is this a coding error, misunderstanding, and or just missed it?

Also Memento isn't working as well, but it saids it cannot learn Memento and Weather Ball, while it is also an egg move for Rellor...this can complete turn people away from using it. REALLY unfair for its usage because I am sure more people will use it because of the niche Revival Blessing . This could be the case of a lot of mons but I just notice this one particular. Only Egg Move that works for it is Recover.
The problem with Cosmic Power is availability. Currently the only Pokemon that learn the move naturally, and thus able to pass it on, are Arceus & Eternatus. Who have to wait for Home to be available at which point a bunch of other Pokemon will make it available as well

Memento + Weather Ball meanwhile shouldn't be too much of an issue, so that might just be an error on Showdown's part.
e: And as proof, here's my own Rellor that I just set up

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 15)