Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

What's the math on Ogerpon's effective base attack stat without Terastalizing?

edit: 154 unless I've done this wrong

Last edited:
Technician boost + Tera Boost don't seem to stack still. Had a Scizor attack a Ditto with Fury Cutter for 24 damage when caught. Catching the same ditto again but attacking it with Tera Boosted Fury Cutter scored a Ditto damaged for 32 HP. Seems to only be doing the x1.33 multiplier for Tera and no extra x1.5 raising the 40 BP move to 60 BP.
So it only hits technician? Or it doesn't stack with Tera?

Technician boost + Tera Boost don't seem to stack still. Had a Scizor attack a Ditto with Fury Cutter for 24 damage when caught. Catching the same ditto again but attacking it with Tera Boosted Fury Cutter scored a Ditto damaged for 32 HP. Seems to only be doing the x1.33 multiplier for Tera and no extra x1.5 raising the 40 BP move to 60 BP.
Not quite sure I understand. Technician would be 40 x 1.5 for Technician × 1.5 for STAB making 90 BP. Tera would be 2x making it 80 BP if Technician was overridden, meaning overall Technician alone should do more damage. But you're calcing Tera does more so wouldn't it get Technician plus Tera boost?

Not quite sure I understand. Technician would be 40 x 1.5 for Technician × 1.5 for STAB making 90 BP. Tera would be 2x making it 80 BP if Technician was overridden, meaning overall Technician alone should do more damage. But you're calcing Tera does more so wouldn't it get Technician plus Tera boost?
It gets Technician + Tera Boost but not Technician + Tera Boost + Under 60 BP move Tera Boost.

Sorry if labeling it "Tera Boost" was a bit too confusing. What I meant there with effects not stacking was that technician doesn't stack with the effect where Tera will boost any of your non-priority moves of your tera type below 60 BP up to 60 BP when you're terastalized. This BP boost is different from Tera's adaptability-style power buff, which you still get with a low BP move. This didn't stack with Technician before the newest update and doesn't seem to now, meaning, say, lick isn't boosted to 60 BP by tera, then again to 90 BP by technician.

Sorry if labeling it "Tera Boost" was a bit too confusing. What I meant there with effects not stacking was that technician doesn't stack with the effect where Tera will boost any of your non-priority moves of your tera type below 60 BP up to 60 BP when you're terastalized. This BP boost is different from Tera's adaptability-style power buff, which you still get with a low BP move. This didn't stack with Technician before the newest update and doesn't seem to now, meaning, say, lick isn't boosted to 60 BP by tera, then again to 90 BP by technician.
Ah got it. I was actually unaware of the boost to 60 BP for low power moves when Tera. Thanks!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I read on Bulbapedia that Ursaluna is apparently unusable in raids right now for an unclear reason. I couldn't find a secondary source for this, so would anyone happen to have a source or know why this is the case?

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
This is getting much more niche, but can you use the embody abilities on an untera'd ogrepon?
Furthermore, could you use the 'wrong' embody ability on an untera'd ogrepon IE Embody Wellspring on a Heathflame Ogerpon
I asked mattyoukhana_ to test and nothing worked. These were his specific tests he told me about:
Fire Ogerpon with Embody Aspect Fire -> no boost
Fire Ogerpon with Embody Aspect Water -> no boost
Fire Ogerpon with Embody Aspect Fire and Fire Mask -> no boost
Fire Ogerpon with Embody Aspect Water and Fire Mask -> no boost

If you hack the teal mask on does it have the same 20% boosting effect of the other masks? Or is it functionally useless?
The other 3 masks have an EquipPower of 20 in the item data, but Teal Mask is 0.
All 4 of them have FlingPower of 60.

Also interesting to note that Aura Wheel now updates to show the correct type, when it did not do that in SWSH.

Last edited:

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
This is getting much more niche, but can you use the embody abilities on an untera'd ogrepon?
Furthermore, could you use the 'wrong' embody ability on an untera'd ogrepon IE Embody Wellspring on a Heathflame Ogerpon
Tested this a bit; setting the "Wrong" Embody Aspect in PKHeX causes it to change to the "Right" one when booting the game (Wellspring Ogerpon had Hearthflame in the save file but changed to Wellspring in-game). No variant of the ability activated on base Ogerpon as Anubis reported.

Curiously, you can override Ogerpon's Tera Type in PHKeX, and this persists in-game. In this case, I had a Wellspring Ogerpon with Tera Fire, and when I Terastallized it, it had the Wellspring Ogerpon body with the Fire Mask. This was also the case for Tera Grass and Rock Wellspring (Wellspring body but mask that matched the Tera Type) and Tera Water Teal. The Embody Aspect boost corresponded to the Ogerpon forme rather than the Mask. When I tested Tera Ghost Wellspring, the game got stuck in an infinite load in the window where you've made your action but the turn hasn't actually started yet; this happened for all formes whether the correct mask was held or not (so essentially you're never allowed to Tera Ogerpon into a type other than Grass, Fire, Water, or Rock).
2023091702001300-B6CE40797459B0890BF7CEF68A4CE587.jpg
edit: this also incidentally shows that Ogerpon's alternate formes can be hacked to exist without the mask

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tested two forme change things since some people were requesting them, plus an unintentional bonus I found while laddering!

Shaymin-S and Meloetta's forme mechanics are NOT impacted by Terastallization!

Bonus: If a Toxic Chain Pokemon Knocks Off a Lum Berry and activates Toxic Chain at the same time, Lum Berry is eaten before its knocked off. I swear this is how Poison Touch worked as well, but figured I should post this just in case considering how many weird exceptions SV seems to love!

Bonus: If a Toxic Chain Pokemon Knocks Off a Lum Berry and activates Toxic Chain at the same time, Lum Berry is eaten before its knocked off. I swear this is how Poison Touch worked as well, but figured I should post this just in case considering how many weird exceptions SV seems to love!
Makes sense, that's how the Colbur Berry works if the holder is weak to Dark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)