SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

There aren’t any new leaks relating to Dunsparce
This is mainly what I'm waiting for lol. I don't have a strong desire to closely follow the leaks, but I have my new Dunsparce ~80% complete and I'm concerned that the new evo is going to make Dunsparce's Serene Grace/Flinch Monster build unworkable. Do I need to restart and rebuild him, or can I go ahead and complete him?

Regardless of the outcome, the uncertainty has put one of my mon update batches on hold despite all the other mons being done. It's frustrating to be this far along and then get stuck, but what can I do :/. Big sad.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Expecting starters to be competitive in higher tiers strikes me as not completely rational. There'll be some good ones every now and then but it's like...relax, lol. Your favorite doesn't have be good.

At least in singles standard formats the writing is clearly on the wall for a slow bulky Ghost/Fire mon outside some unforeseen niche/stall builds. Slow, weak to Rocks, Knock Off, EQ, Shadow Ball + wrong spread for its typing. I don't think Monotype has use for this thing either because Fire and Ghost are both offensive types with vastly better options in that role and dual typing.

As someone pointed out already Blacephalon is as good as that typing can possibly get unless Ceruledge gets a good spread and Fighting coverage.
While I agree with your point about starters and how they're not all expected to be great in higher tiers, I still would like to point out that there's still a difference between "competitively dominant" like Greninja or Rillaboom/Cinderace and "so bad it's bad in-game" like Meganium.

Granted we have largely avoided the latter problem aka the Chikorita syndrome because even if Skeledirge and especially Quaquaval don't turn out great in competitive higher tiers, these guys have competent stat builds and we can reasonably expect all three Paldea starters to be great and fun to use for in-game purposes, which is more than good enough. They have fun typings and standout designs, I think they'll be as fun to use as Sinnoh or Kalos starters in-game for me on that merit alone, to the point where I could use any of the three and still have a good time.

really don't like that quaquaval design. looks extremely weird with how humanoid it is plus with all the braids hanging off of it. i'll at least give it that it definitely looks like a dancer, for what that's worth

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)