SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

And so what's the alternative?

You can go play temtem if you don't like the way Gamefreak runs their own ip.

Or get hired by Gamefreak and climb the ranks to be a game director.

But armchairing about "should've" in a pokemon game really doesn't get us anywhere
Idk that response seems a bit meanspirited when all a person is doing is voicing an annoyance on a game they've played for likely over a few years at least. But I do get the sentiment.

I know a lot of people whine about Regen cores, but with the nerf to recovery moves, I think it's likely that even more people will be forced to use them due to it being pretty easy to blow through 8 PP of a recovery move. It won't be because Regenerator is broken that this happens but that Gamefreak limited people's options. Gamefreak shows how poor it is at balancing the game once again. Hyper Offense will probably dominate this gen after Terastal gets banned.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Personally I'd prefer a regenerator nerf to 25% as opposed to a recovery move nerf.

All this will cause is less options for a lot of balance teams and most teams being built around regenerator cores and things like wish bliss+clef. I just find it more likely that cool offensive Pokémon get banned because you can't check them long term.

I also agree with the sentiment that just because GameFreak made the game doesn't mean they're good at balance. They're the ones who introduced things like Mega Salemence and Zacian-Crowned.
I think these balance choices are amazing and hilarious because the game is ostensibly designed around VGC and 3v3 Singles, but many of these changes are targeted toward the "unofficial" 6v6 meta. I can already imagine GameFreak devs playing on Showdown and getting salty and deciding to nerf recovery moves once and for all.

Last edited:
I think these balance choices are amazing and hilarious because the game is ostensibly designed around VGC and Singles, but many of these changes are targeted toward the "unofficial" 6v6 meta. I can already imagine GameFreak devs playing on Showdown and getting salty and deciding to nerf recovery moves once and for all.
They are funny I will admit that. But I'd be surprised that they weren't salty due to Toxapex first. Maybe that's coming in the patch notes along with decreasing toxapex's defensive stats by 20 each and then they give it truant, defeatist and slow start as all 3 of its new abilities.

Edit:Also they remove scald from the game.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Argument for nerfing Cresselia: She was bulkier than God! (120/120/130 Defenses vs 120/120/120)
That said, Dude! Not cool! >:(

What I'm getting from leaks: Game Freak really hates stall. There's some crazy offensive stuff and most of the new defensive stuff also has nice offensive stats too. I'm pretty sure they also hate me (if they even know I exist :P) because I'm pretty sure you have to attack. They did throw me a bone with the Toxic Spikes and Grassy Terrain Abilities though.

It seems like they want stat buffs and debuffs to generally be more of a thing, so I suspect the idea is to have defensive playstyles work more that way, and recovery is something you're generally meant to use when you get a setup opening rather than spamming it in your opponent's face while they die to residual damage.

How well that works is another matter, of course.

LMAO that head popping out
How do you not give Armarouge Mega Launcher and Ceruledge Sharpness lol! Huge missed opportunity:blobsad:
I think that's for the best for both of the Rockman expys tbh. Both have somewhat decent bulk, both have a healthy amount of attack they specialized in, and what they actually could get used to is a wee bit more speed which weak armor does provide. (And that's also accounting for unless you plan to make Armarouge moves it might not actually fit, say water pulse etc)

Cresselia getting the nerf bat is surprising given it has only been like a force on the edge of play since like gen 7 and onward, but I can see the justification if I squint hard enough.

That thing was a menace in Gen 5 VGC and a huge centralizing force, right up there with pre-para nerf, pre-prankster nerf Thundurus and Dragon Gem Draco Meteor back when gems were real. It was just unparalleled support, and I think its fair to say it contributed a good bit to those metagames eventually starring a bunch of stuff that didn't mind speed control constantly. While it hasn't been a problem in a while, it also hasn't been in smaller format without every legendary roaming around ever. The power level of a format like what might be in store for us might be more on par with old formats Cresselia dominated. Maybe whatever competitive play design team GF has (I know they have a little something) got worried now that cress is getting reliable recovery, and might have scared GF into a stat nerf. I'm still a little uncertain this is the actual reason given... Urshifu will exist lol... but that's the best guess I have.

Also I know it's tempting to view things through the lens of Smogon, but there is plenty reason to keep a recovery nerf within the confines of what GF pays closer attention to. I'm not as well verse in BSS as old Gen 5 VGC, but I'm aware stall was a legitimate thing in the restricted 3v3 metas. Quagsire, Toxapex, and Mystical Fire Toxic Eternatus could stall out wins to timer pretty realistically. It's a win condition you could work towards to the point where I believe Theorymon had found a japanese BSS resource with how much time certain actions sucked up for that purpose. This might be an option they took for making games faster while also making sure for things like organized play purposes and their online tournaments, games don't take over a certain threshold of time. Whether it's the correct play for the job, given the splash damage it's done to fan-run formats, I'm not sure. It'll be interesting to see how exactly it'll all come to unfold.

i just realized that cyclizar has its substitute+baton pass signature move that combos perfectly with regenerator, which it gets. Thematically im a big fan of this because thats how real life lizards work but that sounds so busted in competitive. and he has 121 base speed :psycry:
Speaking of cyclizar, does anyone know if the substitute from shed tail's hp is half cyclizar's total hp (since it consumes half it's hp bar n all)?

Secondly, I kinda feel like base speed 121 might work against it, especially if you're trying to preserve the sub after using it.; however, being half cyclizar's hp would make subbing before the opponent attacks more viable if the sub has more hp than a traditional sub does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)