Serperior

I'm going to be blunt here: Jaroda is looking pretty bad right now. Probably the worst starter we've had in a Pokemon game so far. That's actually quite a shame because it looks so cool that I'm condidering using it anyway.

If it gets more coverage moves with which to abuse Contrarian, it could end up doing some damage in UU and maybe see a promotion to BL, but that's about it, really.
You hatin SJC. i think he'll have an niche as a bulky torment subseeder. still not ou material, but quality uu none the less.

I'm going to be blunt here: Jaroda is looking pretty bad right now. Probably the worst starter we've had in a Pokemon game so far. That's actually quite a shame because it looks so cool that I'm condidering using it anyway.

If it gets more coverage moves with which to abuse Contrarian, it could end up doing some damage in UU and maybe see a promotion to BL, but that's about it, really.
To be honest I kinda agree with you, unless there are more new egg moves(the egg moves now are all old moves, new moves in BW hasn't been added to egg moves yet) and of course more tutor moves, it is hard to get to OU. Its speed is nice but attacking stats is a let down, its movepool isn't wide, but there might be a possible (grey) version similar to DPP? That might be its only hope of getting wider movepool, remember that scizor wasn't as popular as today until the release of platinum that gives it bullet punch which Diamond and Pearl didn't

It's not that bad.

SubSeeder with Leaf Storm and HP Ice/Fire should be pretty good. With that good speed and bulk it's not easy to get it down. Maybe not OU material but prob good at lower tiers.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Meganium is not bad in and of itself, it just has to compete with Venusaur, who does almost everything better. Jumpluff, however, is just a bad Pokemon.

Meganium is not bad in and of itself, it just has to compete with Venusaur, who does almost everything better. Jumpluff, however, is just a bad Pokemon.
My good friend Nails would like to have a work with you...
Though he uses encore/double status pluff, which smuglord isn't competing with, so thats kinda off topic.

SJCrew

Sure, bring him on over so we can talk about how much Jumpluff sucks together.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If Contrarian works the way we suspect it to it could end up doing some damage in UU and maybe see a promotion to BL, but that's about it.
Really?? Because I'm quite sure something like Synthesis/Leaf Storm/HP Ground/Taunt @ Life Orb is going to be powerful, especially with "Hi I'm getting an NP boost every time I fire off a 140 base power STAB attack".

SJCrew

If i recall, his jumpluff team was on the way to 6-0ing you when you ragequited at 6-3. : )
His Jumpluff didn't even do anything. In fact, I didn't even know it was double status. The only thing I remember about that battle is Registeel.

Fuck you for even bringing that up. Haxy motherfucker. >:(

Really?? Because I'm quite sure something like Synthesis/Leaf Storm/HP Ground/Taunt @ Life Orb is going to be powerful, especially with "Hi I'm getting an NP boost every time I fire off a 140 base power STAB attack".
0_0

That set looks AWESOME. I think I'm a believer now. :D

His Jumpluff didn't even do anything. In fact, I didn't even know it was double status. The only thing I remember about that battle is Registeel.

Fuck you for even bringing that up. Haxy motherfucker. >:(
I wasn't gonna... but then you posted again and upped the ante. No hard feelings. : )

Edit: hmmm if the new ability does work like everyone says, this thing may see some ou use after all...

Edit 2: that lo set is one of the million and a half sets that will be trapped/revenged by scarf shanderaa. God, im not sure if i should hate shanderaa or worship its amazing power.

Something I quickly made up was

Jaroda @ Life Orb
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
Ability: Contrarian
EVs: 16 Def / 252 Sp. Atk / 236 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power: Ground

Calm Mind once and hit with Leaf Storm, which if I've read right will increase your Special Attack to +3. HP:Ground over HP:Fire as Heatran will likely be the first switch in to this pokemon, and a +3 Leaf Storm will do a lot of damage to things that only 2x resist it (next time it'll be on +5). Synthesis is just there to heal up, and Jaroda has got the bulk to take a hit or two even with minimal defensive EV investment. Speaking of which, Calm Mind boosts that decent 95 Sp. Defence up a stage. The last 16 EVs give it more bulk on the physical side.

I'm not sure if Jaroda will compete with like the likes of Warubiaru and and Sazando, but in a lower tier I can definitely see it becoming a threat.

Something I quickly made up was

Jaroda @ Life Orb
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
Ability: Contrarian
EVs: 16 Def / 252 Sp. Atk / 236 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power: Ground

Calm Mind once and hit with Leaf Storm, which if I've read right will increase your Special Attack to +3. HP:Ground over HP:Fire as Heatran will likely be the first switch in to this pokemon, and a +3 Leaf Storm will do a lot of damage to things that only 2x resist it (next time it'll be on +5). Synthesis is just there to heal up, and Jaroda has got the bulk to take a hit or two even with minimal defensive EV investment. Speaking of which, Calm Mind boosts that decent 95 Sp. Defence up a stage. The last 16 EVs give it more bulk on the physical side.

I'm not sure if Jaroda will compete with like the likes of Warubiaru and and Sazando, but in a lower tier I can definitely see it becoming a threat.
calm mind would lower your spatk/spdef with the new ability.

Sword Dance sweeper
@life Orb/leftovers
Jolly 208ATK 252SPE 48HP
Sword Dance
Leaf Blade
Aerial Ace/Return
Dragon Tail

Aerial Ace is just for grass type and fighting type pokes such as infernape and blaziken since you outspeed them(before blaziken speed boost activates of course) and nasty bug types since they are a lot of bug types in this gen Aerial Ace might actually be more useful than Return, you can choose return if you wan, if you want to do higher damage to normal/flying dark/flyging and other tying that resist LB and DT except some Steel(lucario and scizor take more damage from aerial ace than Return). If a steel types switches in, use dragon tail to phaze it out, which means entry hazards are very welcome with this poke. Item depends on you, Power or staying longer in battle is totally up to you.

EDIT:did some wrong calcs and fixed some wrong info and reworked the EVs(and also made the hp divisible by 16 obtaining the magic leftovers number) so that it has a higher chance to set up and take some hits but its attacks still won't hurt that much(150 base is just 3points higher than ononokusu and its movepool isn't particularly wide, skarm and most steels walls it like nothing so it has to keep using dragon tail it it comes in)

Really? I'm sure someone above said it got Synthesis. You could just use Giga Drain or Leech Seed over it I guess.

And looking over it again, that was my mistake with Calm Mind. I guess Substitute and Glare would be decent replacements, maybe Taunt to beat Blissey, as Jaroda has a really lame offensive movepool on the special side.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'd put money down that Contrarian doesn't help you out against stat changes that you inflict on yourself (like how Torkoal's White Smoke doesn't protect him from Overheat SpA drops or Metagross' Clear Body doesn't stop his speed from dropping when he uses Hammer Arm) but if it does Leaf Storm is going to be unbelievably good.

As a SubSeeder he has the perfect stats in all the right places but is missing one vital characteristic and that is the ability to deter other Grass types from switching in outside of Glare (which won't really bother a few of them). That could make or break him.

I'd put money down that Contrarian doesn't help you out against stat changes that you inflict on yourself (like how Torkoal's White Smoke doesn't protect him from Overheat SpA drops or Metagross' Clear Body doesn't stop his speed from dropping when he uses Hammer Arm) but if it does Leaf Storm is going to be unbelievably good.

As a SubSeeder he has the perfect stats in all the right places but is missing one vital characteristic and that is the ability to deter other Grass types from switching in outside of Glare (which won't really bother a few of them). That could make or break him.
But if only opponent's moves work, then wouldn't swagger and flatter annoy it?

Yeah its sad that most of its movepool are defensive, bt we don't know about move tutors yet, its still too early to judge, btw if it has that ability it would be awesome.
Actually, we do, and there is nothing he really gains from it. The move tutors are a huge letdown this gen all around.

My gods! I cant believe you guys are making movesets now! In my opinion, Jaroda is just a more defensive Sceptile. It could run most of Sceptile's sets that involve subseed much better, while keeping the same speed as Sceptile. (If I remember correctly for the stats)

Actually, we do, and there is nothing he really gains from it. The move tutors are a huge letdown this gen all around.
Tutors of BW=Tutors of DP, there is still a third version I'm assuming grey, it will have more tutors just like platinum and there might be a remake of RSE(highly possible since HGSS uses the TM/HM base on DPP, RSE can use TM/HM based on BW since they both have dive). And when it does it will have a wider movepool just like how we never expected scizor to be so strong in DP until it gets bullet punch in platinum, Bug Bite and Superpower are further addition in HGSS=)

It would be cool to have a stall moveset Jaroda! :D
It could have the Subseed set from the first post! But instead of Torment/Glare, just put in toxic.

Like so:

Jaroda@Leftovers
252 HP / 20 Def / 236 Spe
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
~Substitute
~Leech Seed
~Giga Drain
~Toxic

It would be cool to have a stall moveset Jaroda! :D
It could have the Subseed set from the first post! But instead of Torment/Glare, just put in toxic.

Like so:

Jaroda@Leftovers
252 HP / 20 Def / 236 Spe
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
~Substitute
~Leech Seed
~Giga Drain
~Toxic
How you plan of doing anything to venesaur and tentacruel? Glare is good because para is very helpful to your sweepers and revenge killers, if you wan toxic, just have a toxic spiker and use glare on all those who are immune to it.

O.o
I'm really new to competitive battling, please consider the fact that I have no tutor for this. Who uses Venusaur or tentacruel in OU?! That's what I plan to use him for when I finally get the game!
Also, I mean it would be good assuming that you already have light screen and stealth rock up while using Jaroda after the fact.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)