Sharpedo (Analysis)

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Chillarmy gave me permission for this, and since this has been already checked by QC, this is in the Copyediting stage immediately.

QC Approvals: (3/3) (Bloo) (PK Gaming) (Delta 2777)

GP Approvals: (2/2) (Erebyssial) (wekhter <3)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharpedo

[Overview]

<p>In previous generations, Sharpedo received sour, yet justified criticism for being a generally average offensive Pokemon. Because Sharpedo was so held back by its frailty, bad defensive typing, and small movepool, it didn't receive much positive input or usage, despite good offensive stats and decent base 95 Speed. While Sharpedo did receive a small blessing from the Dream World in the form of a new ability, Speed Boost, it still has issues when attempting to execute a successful sweep. It's definitely not an exaggeration to say that Sharpedo is one of the frailest fully evolved Pokemon in OU, who can be easily stopped by many bulky foes.</p>

<p>However, a blessing is a blessing; Sharpedo can actually make exceptional use of Speed Boost, which prevents Sharpedo from being revenge killed like it was in previous generations. Sharpedo's attacking stats are also in the range of other fierce attackers, such as Starmie and Landorus, making it a very dangerous sweeper and revenge killer in OU after obtaining Speed boosts. Sharpedo can tear through most teams provided it is intelligently played and receives sufficient support. Overall, there's no better Pokemon to represent the phrase "eat or be eaten" than Sharpedo.</p>

[SET]
name: Speed Boost (Mixed)
move 1: Crunch
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Ice Beam / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Protect
ability: Speed Boost
item: Life Orb
nature: Rash
evs: 148 Atk / 252 SAtk / 108 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Sharpedo's best uses of its high offensive stats, small movepool, and newest ability, Speed Boost, lie in a mixed attacking set. Speed Boost allows Sharpedo to bypass many Choice Scarf users after a few boosts, and with Sharpedo's powerful attacks taken into consideration, it will be difficult for the opposing team to eliminate Sharpedo without being severely hurt. After a Speed Boost, Sharpedo can also revenge kill many common OU Pokemon with the appropriate attack, including but not limited to Latios, Latias, Thundurus, Terrakion, and Starmie.</p>

<p>Crunch is the main STAB move on this set, being a powerful, consistent clean-up move that strikes the numerous Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon in OU super effectively. Hydro Pump, boosted by Life Orb, allows Sharpedo to promptly eliminate the physical walls that would normally come in to sponge Crunch, especially Hippowdon and Skarmory. Hydro Pump is also stronger than Crunch, so despite its imperfect accuracy, Hydro Pump is another good clean-up move against bulkier opponents. The third slot depends on your preference; Ice Beam grants Sharpedo reliable, much-needed coverage against most Grass-, Flying-, and Dragon-type Pokemon such as Virizion, Thundurus, and Haxorus. Hidden Power Fire doesn't have much use outside of keeping Ferrothorn and Scizor in check; it will only manage to 2HKO Ferrothorn (who can reply with Thunder Wave or Power Whip), while Scizor is already OHKOed with Hydro Pump after Stealth Rock damage. Finally, Protect is used to scout incoming attacks and set up at least one Speed Boost in front of faster foes. Generally, Protect should be used on the first turn Sharpedo is out to bypass Choice Scarf users.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs and nature are specialized to take advantage of Speed Boost; with 108 Speed EVs and a neutral nature, after two boosts, Sharpedo outruns Deoxys-S. Special Attack is maximized to put as much power into Hydro Pump as possible, while the remaining EVs are put into Attack to zest up Crunch. A Rash nature is preferred because physical priority moves are more common than special ones, and it should also be used to put power into Sharpedo's special moves. With the given EV spread, Sharpedo is statistically stronger than Timid Life Orb Starmie and Adamant Swords Dance Lucario. Additionally, an EV spread of 76 Atk / 216 SpA / 216 Spe exchanges a little power to neutral outrun base 90 threats, in addition to those in the base 130 range after one boost.</p>

<p>Inevitably, Sharpedo will have problems when encountering Sand Rush Excadrill in sandstorm, whom Sharpedo cannot outrun without at least three speed boosts. While it doesn't have particular problems with many Choice Scarf users due to Speed Boost, strong priority users, especially Conkeldurr, also cut Sharpedo's sweeping short. Although it can't exactly switch into one of Sharpedo's STAB attacks or Ice Beam, Thundurus can use priority Thunder Wave to seriously cripple Sharpedo before fainting. Sharpedo has issues dealing with dedicated bulky foes, such as Blissey, Ferrothorn, and Gyarados. Most of these foes can stall out Sharpedo via Life Orb recoil, or outright attack to finish it off. Entry hazards may seem minor, but they all severely limit Sharpedo's life span on the field.</p>

<p>Pretty much any decently powered move—resisted or not—will severely damage Sharpedo, so it should usually switch in after a teammate has fainted. Sharpedo also doesn't require specific defensive synergy due to its frailty, so feel free to place it in any kind of team that requires its offensive capabilities. Teammates, however, should be able to break through Sharpedo's problem Pokemon and provide external coverage for it. All in all, Fighting-types are the best offensive teammates, as they can instantly check Blissey, Ferrothorn, and many other problematic walls with their STAB attacks while luring in Psychic-type attacks for Sharpedo to switch into. There are various kinds of Fighting-types to utilize; for instance, in addition to easily setting up Swords Dance or Calm Mind in front of bulky Water-types and other defensive foes, Virizion keeps Excadrill in check, while Terrakion can outright punch holes with a Choice Band attached. As for other notable teammates, a Calm Mind Jirachi (specifically Superachi) can lure in and defeat many of Sharpedo's checks and counters, taking on common priority users fairly well. Magnezone can also threaten Water-types with a STAB Electric-type move, with the added benefit of trapping Steel-type Pokemon with Magnet Pull. As a special mention, Sharpedo works fantastically in rain conditions, which can be provided by a preferably offensive Drizzle Politoed. With a Choice Scarf, Politoed is also able to revenge kill Excadrill and other weather abusers. Keep in mind that Hidden Power Fire is obviously out of the question if Sharpedo is used with Drizzle support.</p>

<p>Like any other offensive Pokemon, Sharpedo tremendously appreciates entry hazard support. Stealth Rock is essential for nullifying Skarmory's Sturdy ability, which allows Skarmory to otherwise survive Hydro Pump at full health and fight back with Brave Bird. With some layers of hazards, Sharpedo is also able to break down a number of defensive Pokemon, mainly Jellicent, Ferrothorn, and Scizor. Ferrothorn and Deoxys-S are generally the best hazard layers for fast, offensive momentum, whereas Skarmory and Forretress can gradually lay down hazards with ease. As a side note, Forretress is able to use Rapid Spin as well, eliminating the entry hazards that plague Sharpedo and its team.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>While Sharpedo doesn't have too many options to experiment with outside of the main options, it has just enough to concoct pure physical or special sets. By doing this, Sharpedo can maximize both its Speed and respective attacking stat, making it more formidable and faster on either side. Sharpedo's notable physical options include Waterfall, Earthquake, Double Edge, and Ice Fang, while its only other notable special move is Dark Pulse. Choice Band Sharpedo gets a special mention for being able to blast through teams with Drizzle support; factoring in Speed Boost, it will be incredibly difficult to counter a monster spamming a double-boosted STAB Waterfall. This has competition with Gyarados, however, due to Gyarados's ability to switch into many common moves more often than Sharpedo. Special sweeping sets are also somewhat better left off to the likes of Politoed and Starmie, although the ability to 2HKO Jellicent with STAB Dark Pulse is something to consider. Aqua Jet can be used to kill off weakened opponents and gain a Speed Boost, though Hydro Pump, after a Speed Boost and Protect, is significantly stronger than a mere Aqua Jet.</p>

<p>Substitute lends Sharpedo a safety net to fall back on when forcing switches, making it less susceptible to priority moves. Protect will usually be the superior option, as Sharpedo will lose massive amounts of HP due to Life Orb and Substitute. Sharpedo generally must refrain from using other support moves outside of Protect, as its frailty and Speed boosts are major factors when sweeping with it. Sharpedo also should never use its default ability, Rough Skin, since Speed Boost is the one ability making Sharpedo viable in OU.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Speed Boost, few can rely on Speed and not get severely hurt when checking Sharpedo. Virtually any Pokemon with a reasonably powerful attack that can withstand Sharpedo's assaults is a solid check. Bulky powerhouses, including but not limited to Ferrothorn, Metagross, Conkeldurr, Zapdos, and Virizion, are ideal for surviving Sharpedo's attacks and striking back, provided they have not suffered too much previous damage. Priority users, such as the aforementioned Scizor and Conkeldurr, nullify Sharpedo's Speed boosts and put a damper on its sweep. Bulky Water-type Pokemon wall the majority of Sharpedo's main attacks outside of the neutral Crunch, with most being able to cripple it with a burn from Scald or Toxic poison. Most notably, Empoleon, Toxicroak, Poliwrath, who all resist Sharpedo's main options, can retaliate with their respective Grass- or Fighting-type move. Gyarados gets a special mention, as its main ability, Intimidate, weakens Sharpedo's physical attacks and it can pretty much wall Sharpedo's special attacks as well.</p>

<p>Sharpedo also must beware of switching in, as just about any neutral, or even resisted, attack will deal massive damage to it. Any form of passive damage, including sandstorm, hail, and entry hazards, will also severely limit Sharpedo's presence on the battlefield, as it will not enjoy having its already-short lifespan cut shorter. With Life Orb recoil added in, using prediction and switching in resistances will take out this shark eventually.</p>

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I wish that you would expand a bit upon your [Other Options] section. For a physical movepool, Sharpedo gets Waterfall, Crunch, Earthquake, Super Fang, Avalanche, Zen Headbutt, and Poison Jab. Specially, it gets Hidden Power, Ice Beam, Scald, Surf, Hydro Pump, and Dark Pulse (which might be illegal, I am not sure). I'd work off of those moves to provide some alternative suggestions. While many won't do Sharpedo much good (Avalanche going first comes to mind), some of them could be pretty viable on a Sharpedo set!

I'm also not sure why one would want to run a specifically special Sharpedo? It would be wess powerful than the mixed or pure attack sets and easily walled by Blissey.

I wish that you would expand a bit upon your [Other Options] section. For a physical movepool, Sharpedo gets Waterfall, Crunch, Earthquake, Super Fang, Avalanche, Zen Headbutt, and Poison Jab. Specially, it gets Hidden Power, Ice Beam, Scald, Surf, Hydro Pump, and Dark Pulse (which might be illegal, I am not sure). I'd work off of those moves to provide some alternative suggestions. While many won't do Sharpedo much good (Avalanche going first comes to mind), some of them could be pretty viable on a Sharpedo set!

I'm also not sure why one would want to run a specifically special Sharpedo? It would be wess powerful than the mixed or pure attack sets and easily walled by Blissey.
I agree. Especially including that Sharpedo loses one of his two STABS with the special set.

AccidentalGreed

Don't worry guys. It's only a skeleton, and I had full intention of actually expanding the Other Options. My strategy is to correct the "easy" sections first.

Hehe. Thats fine, and tbh, a straight physical attacking set might be worthy of its own set anyways, as it frees up all those special attacking IVs.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hehe. Thats fine, and tbh, a straight physical attacking set might be worthy of its own set anyways, as it frees up all those special attacking IVs.
the full physical set was rejected by QC then, i mean there might be a reason to change it, but overall i dont believe anything significant has happened to warrant a full physical set now.

since sharpedo is just comparable to blaziken the key difference between why ken got a full physical set was because he has sword dance. if there was a swords dance move tutor and sharpedo got it (which tbh i dont think will happen), then a full physical set is warranted.

the full physical set was rejected by QC then, i mean there might be a reason to change it, but overall i dont believe anything significant has happened to warrant a full physical set now.

since sharpedo is just comparable to blaziken the key difference between why ken got a full physical set was because he has sword dance. if there was a swords dance move tutor and sharpedo got it (which tbh i dont think will happen), then a full physical set is warranted.
I just worry about Sharpedo having that significantly lower base special attack then Blazkin. Also, though, it might be worthwhile to mention that Sharpedo can learn roar. If a counter comes in to try to revenge kill, you could force a switch or protect and then force the switch if you need another speed boost to move first without giving up your increases.

EDIT: Also, since it was mentioned earlier, Super Fang isn't viable as it was HGSS move tutor only.

I just worry about Sharpedo having that significantly lower base special attack then Blazkin. Also, though, it might be worthwhile to mention that Sharpedo can learn roar. If a counter comes in to try to revenge kill, you could force a switch or protect and then force the switch if you need another speed boost to move first without giving up your increases.

EDIT: Also, since it was mentioned earlier, Super Fang isn't viable as it was HGSS move tutor only.
Since Roar has negative priority that means you'll take a hit anyway.

Sharpedo has problem with bulky waters, so he'd appreciate a partner that can take those out. Additionally he struggles with Ferrothorn, Forretress and Scizor if he doesn't pack HP Fire, and I've been more successfull with Ice Beam.

Magnezone is actually a quite good partner for him. It can take down a bunch of bulky waters. With Magnet Pull it can also trap the aforementioned Steel-types, and either kill them with HP Fire or set up with a SubCharge Beam set.

Now if one is running both Sharpedo and Magnezone, a fighting resistance is sorely needed. Sharpedo is plagued by Mach Punch, from the likes of Breloom and Conkeldurr. Gliscor is a great counter to Breloom, especially if the Toxic Orb has been activated. Otherwise a strong Psychic or Ghost type might have what it takes.

Sharpedo is a very amusing Pokémon to use, and when his counters are gone he is a beast.

K, I'm under the impression sharpedo is used in Rain... HP Fire is random as hell... Waterfall should probably be used. I don't see why anyone would use anything with no stat boosting moves without Rain support. You aren't going to beat Ferrothorn, so I wouldn't bother. Every water pokemon shouldn't be trying to beat it. Also, Forretress is OHKOed by Hydro Pump if your using this in the rain like you should. And should Scizor switch in he meets the same fate. I wouldn't stay in on Scizor... resist or not Bullet Punch pretty much kills your sweep.. Also, if you can pass it Swords Dance or something like that (I would mention this in team options), you clean house.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mention Aqua Jet somewhere? I guess you could come in to revenge kill something that's weakened (say Heatran), kill it, then get your Speed Boost. Doubt it's worth a slash, but eh.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
K, I'm under the impression sharpedo is used in Rain... HP Fire is random as hell... Waterfall should probably be used. I don't see why anyone would use anything with no stat boosting moves without Rain support. You aren't going to beat Ferrothorn, so I wouldn't bother. Every water pokemon shouldn't be trying to beat it. Also, Forretress is OHKOed by Hydro Pump if your using this in the rain like you should. And should Scizor switch in he meets the same fate. I wouldn't stay in on Scizor... resist or not Bullet Punch pretty much kills your sweep.. Also, if you can pass it Swords Dance or something like that (I would mention this in team options), you clean house.
ya. i think this needs a big mention in EVERY analysis, because every water type just decides to lose coverage to kill one pokemon, who can be countered by the many fighting and fire types.

cb scizor does about 70% with bullet punch against sharpedo, so sharpedo should just never stay in against scizor.

Mention Aqua Jet somewhere? I guess you could come in to revenge kill something that's weakened (say Heatran), kill it, then get your Speed Boost. Doubt it's worth a slash, but eh.
using protect is just overall better in most cases. without max attack investment aqua jet wont do enough without anyboost unless in rain. but even then, your speed boosting every turn anyway, no reason to run priority. the biggest problem i can see is thundurus priority twaving you but even then i dont think aqua jet will ohko it

Sharpedo NEEDS rain support. Due to his lack of boosting moves such as swords dance or nasty plot he just isn't powerful enough without double STAB on Hydro Pump. Ferrothorn will completely wall him but that's just the way it is, you'll have to use another pokemon to overcome Ferro. Be sure to mention in the analysis to only run Sharpedo with Politoed; he isn't viable otherwise.

using protect is just overall better in most cases. without max attack investment aqua jet wont do enough without anyboost unless in rain. but even then, your speed boosting every turn anyway, no reason to run priority. the biggest problem i can see is thundurus priority twaving you but even then i dont think aqua jet will ohko it
Although Protect generally outclasses Aqua Jet,
It does have it's place. Aqua Jet deserves a mention.

Sharpedo NEEDS rain support. Due to his lack of boosting moves such as swords dance or nasty plot he just isn't powerful enough without double STAB on Hydro Pump. Ferrothorn will completely wall him but that's just the way it is, you'll have to use another pokemon to overcome Ferro. Be sure to mention in the analysis to only run Sharpedo with Politoed; he isn't viable otherwise.
Mine doesn't.
Duh, it's Nattorei
Bull.

AccidentalGreed

Okay, here's the deal:

• Mentioned Aqua Jet in OO.
  • Emphasized Rain support
  • Made Ice Beam the primary option over Hidden Power Fire, since it won't really defeat Ferrothorn anyways. Ice Beam also has superior power and coverage, so I'm sure there won't be a huge QC outrage about this.
They seemed reasonable, so I implemented these suggestions.

Also, this has been prepared for GP Checks. Let's Alakazam this quickly!

add/change remove (comment)

[Overview]

<p>In the previous generations, Sharpedo received sour, yet justified criticism for being a generally average offensive Pokemon. Because Sharpedo was so held back by its frailty, bad defensive typing, and generally small movepool, it didn't receive much positive input or usage, despite good offensive stats and decent base 95 Speed. While Sharpedo did receive a small blessing from the Dream World in the form of a new ability, Speed Boost, it still has issues when attempting to execute a successful sweep. It's definitely not an exaggeration to say that Sharpedo is one of the frailest, fully evolved Pokemon in OU, who and can be easily stopped by many bulky foes.</p>

<p>However, a blessing is a blessing; Sharpedo can actually make exceptional use of Speed Boost, which prevents Sharpedo from being easily revenge killed like it easily was in previous generations. Sharpedo's attacking stats are also in the range of other fierce attackers, such as Starmie and Landorus, making it very dangerous after obtaining a few when having obtained many Speed boosts. Sharpedo can tear through most teams provided it is intelligently played and receives sufficient support. Overall, when using Sharpedo, there's no better Pokemon to literally represent the phrase "eat or be eaten".</p>

[SET]
nature: Mild

<p>Sharpedo's best uses of its high offensive stats, small movepool, and newest ability, Speed Boost, lie in a mixed attacking set. Speed Boost allows Sharpedo to bypass many Choice Scarf users after a few boosts, and with Sharpedo's powerful attacks taken into consideration, it will be difficult for the opposing team to eliminate Sharpedo without being severely hurt. After a Speed Boost, which really isn't difficult to obtain, Sharpedo can also check many common OU Pokemon with the appropriate attack, including but not limited to Latios, Latias, Garchomp, Terrakion, and Starmie.</p>

<p>Crunch is the main STAB move on this set, being a powerful, consistent clean-up move that hits the numerous Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon in OU super effectively. Hydro Pump, boosted by Life Orb, allows Sharpedo to foil the physical walls that would normally come in to sponge Crunch, especially Hippowdon and Skarmory. Hydro Pump is also mathematically stronger than Crunch, so save its accuracy, Hydro Pump is another good clean-up move against bulkier opponents. The third slot depends on your the user's preference; Ice Beam grants Sharpedo reliable, much-needed coverage against most Grass-, Flying-, and Dragon-type Pokemon such as Virizion, Thundurus, and Garchomp. Hidden Power Fire doesn't have too much use is simply mediocre (if it's mediocre, why is it on the set instead of AC?) outside of keeping Ferrothorn and Scizor in check; it will only manage to 2HKO Ferrothorn (who can reply with Thunder Wave or Power Whip), while Scizor is already OHKOed with Hydro Pump and Stealth Rock in the field. after Stealth Rock damage.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The EVs and nature are specialized to take advantage of Speed Boost; with 108 Speed EVs and a Mild nature, after two boosts, Sharpedo outruns Deoxys-S and Jolly Choice Scarf Garchomp. Special Attack is maximized to put as much power into Hydro Pump as possible, while the remaining EVs are put into Attack to zest up Crunch. A Mild nature is preferred because physical priority moves are more common than special ones, and it should also be used to put power into Sharpedo's special moves. With the given EV spread, Sharpedo is statistically stronger than Timid Life Orb Starmie and Adamant Swords Dance Lucario.</p>

<p>Inevitably, Sharpedo will have problems when encountering Sand Rush Excadrill in sandstorm, whom Sharpedo cannot outrun without at least until after three Speed boosts. While it doesn't have particular problems with many Choice Scarf users due to Speed Boost, to being able to outspeed them after some boosts, strong priority users, especially Conkeldurr, also cut Sharpedo's sweeping short. Although it can't exactly switch into one of Sharpedo's STAB attacks or Ice Beam, Thundurus can use priority Thunder Wave to seriously cripple Sharpedo before fainting. Sharpedo has issues dealing with dedicated bulky foes, such as Blissey, Ferrothorn, and Gyarados. Most of these foes can stall out Sharpedo via Life Orb recoil, or outright attack to finish it off. Although Entry hazards may seem minor, but they all hazards greatly severely limit Sharpedo's life span on the field.</p>

<p>Pretty much any decently powered move -- resisted or not -- (I dunno how to do em dashes) will severely damage Sharpedo, so it should usually switch in after a teammate has fainted. Sharpedo also doesn't require specific defensive synergy due to its frailty, so feel free to place it in any kind of team that requires its offensive capabilities. Teammates, however, should be able to break through Sharpedo's problem Pokemon and provide external coverage for it. All in all, Fighting-types are the best offensive teammates, as they can instantly check Blissey, Ferrothorn, and many other problematic walls with their STAB attacks. There are various kinds of Fighting-types to utilize; for instance, in addition to easily setting up Swords Dance or Calm Mind in front of bulky Water-types and other defensive foes, Virizion keeps Excadrill in check, while whereas Terrakion can outright punch holes with a Choice Band attached. As for other notable teammates, a Calm Mind Jirachi (specifically Superachi) can lure in and defeat many of its checks and counters, taking on common priority users fairly well. Magnezone can also threaten many Water-types with a STAB Electric-type move, with the added benefit of trapping Steel-type Pokemon with Magnet Pull. As a special mention, Sharpedo works fantastically in rain, which can be provided by a preferably offensive Drizzle Politoed. Keep in mind that Hidden Power Fire is obviously out of the question if Sharpedo is used in rain.</p>

<p>Like for any other offensive Pokemon, Sharpedo tremendously appreciates entry hazard support. Stealth Rock is essential for nullifying Skarmory's Sturdy ability, which allows Skarmory to otherwise survive Hydro Pump at full health and smack back with Brave Bird. With some layers of hazards, Sharpedo is also able to break down a number of defensive Pokemon, mainly Jellicent, Ferrothorn, and Scizor. Ferrothorn and Deoxys-S are generally the best hazard layers for a fast, offensive momentum, whereas Skarmory and Forretress can gradually lay down hazards with ease. As a sidenote, Forretress is also able to use Rapid Spin as well, eliminating the entry hazards that plague Sharpedo and its team.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>While Sharpedo doesn't have too many options to experiment with outside of the main options, it has just enough to concoct pure physical or special sets. By doing this, Sharpedo can maximize both its Speed and respective attacking stat, making it more formidible and faster on either side. Sharpedo's notable physical options include Waterfall, Earthquake, Double Edge, and Ice Fang, while its only other notable special move is Dark Pulse. Choice Band Sharpedo gets a special mention for being able to blast through teams with Drizzle support; and factoring in Speed Boost, it will be incredibly difficult to counter a monster spamming a double-boosted STAB Waterfall. This has competition with Gyarados, however, due to Gyarados's ability to switch into many common moves hits more often than Sharpedo. Special sweeping sets are also somewhat better left off to the likes of Politoed and Starmie, although the ability to 2HKO Jellicent with STAB Dark Pulse is something to consider. Aqua Jet can be used to kill off weakened opponents and gain a Speed Boost, though Hydro Pump, after a Speed Boost and Protect, is significantly stronger than a mere Aqua Jet.</p>

<p>Substitute lends Sharpedo a safety net to fall back on when forcing switches, making it less susceptible to priority moves. Protect will usually be the superior option, as Sharpedo will lose massive amounts of HP due to Life Orb and its Substitutes being easily broken. Sharpedo generally must refrain from using other support moves outside of Protect, as its Sharpedo's frailty and Speed boosts are major factors when sweeping with it.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Speed Boost, little can rely on Speed and not get severely hurt in order to check Sharpedo. Virtually almost anything Pokemon with a reasonably powerful attack that can withstand Sharpedo's assaults is a solid check. Bulky powerhouses, including but not limited to Ferrothorn, Metagross, Conkeldurr, Empoleon, and Virizion, are ideal for surviving Sharpedo's attacks and striking back, provided they have not suffered too much previous damage. Priority users, such as the aforementioned Scizor and Conkeldurr, nullify Sharpedo's Speed boosts and put a damper on its Sharpedo's sweep. Bulky Water-type Pokemon wall the majority of Sharpedo's main attacks outside of the neutral Crunch, with most being able to cripple it with a burn from Scald or Toxic poison. Gyarados gets a special mention, as its main ability, Intimidate, weakens Sharpedo's physical attacks and can pretty much wall Sharpedo's special attacks as well.</p>

<p>Sharpedo also must beware of switching in, as just about any neutral, or even resistant, attack will deal massive damage to it. Any form of passive damage, including sandstorm, hail, and entry hazards, will also severely limit Sharpedo's presence on the battlefield, as it will not enjoy having its already-short lifespan cut shorter. With Life Orb added in, using prediction and switching in resistances will take out this shark eventually.</p>

Well written and good content.. I liked this, nice job

1/2

Deletions
Additions/Corrections
(Comments)

[Overview]

<p>In the previous generations, Sharpedo received sour, yet justified criticism for being a generally average offensive Pokemon. Because Sharpedo was so held back by its frailty, bad defensive typing, and small movepool, it didn't receive much positive input or usage, despite good offensive stats and decent base 95 Speed. While Sharpedo did receive a small blessing from the Dream World in the form of a new ability, Speed Boost, it still has issues when attempting to execute a successful sweep. It's definitely not an exaggeration to say that Sharpedo is one of the frailest, (no comma) fully evolved Pokemon in OU, who can be easily stopped by many bulky foes.</p>

<p>However, a blessing is a blessing; Sharpedo can actually make exceptional use of Speed Boost, which prevents Sharpedo from being revenge killed like it easily was in previous generations. Sharpedo's attacking stats are also in the range of other fierce attackers, such as Starmie and Landorus, making it very dangerous after obtaining a few Speed boosts. Sharpedo can tear through most teams provided it is intelligently played and receives sufficient support. Overall, when using Sharpedo, there's no better Pokemon to represent the phrase "eat or be eaten" than Sharpedo.</p>

[SET]
nature: Mild

<p>Sharpedo's best uses of its high offensive stats, small movepool, and newest ability, Speed Boost, lie in a mixed attacking set. Speed Boost allows Sharpedo to bypass many Choice Scarf users after a few boosts, and with Sharpedo's powerful attacks taken into consideration, it will be difficult for the opposing team to eliminate Sharpedo without being severely hurt. After a Speed Boost, Sharpedo can also check many common OU Pokemon with the appropriate attack, including but not limited to Latios, Latias, Garchomp, Terrakion, and Starmie.</p>

<p>Crunch is the main STAB move on this set, being a powerful, consistent clean-up move that hits the numerous Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon in OU super effectively. Hydro Pump, boosted by Life Orb, allows Sharpedo to foil the physical walls that would normally come in to sponge Crunch, especially Hippowdon and Skarmory. Hydro Pump is also stronger than Crunch, so save despite its imperfect accuracy, Hydro Pump is another good clean-up move against bulkier opponents. The third slot depends on your preference; Ice Beam grants Sharpedo reliable, much-needed coverage against most Grass-, Flying-, and Dragon-type Pokemon such as Virizion, Thundurus, and Garchomp. Hidden Power Fire doesn't have much use outside of keeping Ferrothorn and Scizor in check; it will only manage to 2HKO Ferrothorn (who can reply with Thunder Wave or Power Whip), while Scizor is already OHKOed with Hydro Pump after Stealth Rock damage. Finally, Protect is used to scout incoming attacks and set up at least one Speed Boost in front of faster foes. Generally, Protect should be used on the first turn Sharpedo is out to bypass Choice Scarf users.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The EVs and nature are specialized to take advantage of Speed Boost; with 108 Speed EVs and a neutral nature, after two boosts, Sharpedo outruns Deoxys-S and Jolly Choice Scarf Garchomp. Special Attack is maximized to put as much power into Hydro Pump as possible, while the remaining EVs are put into Attack to zest up Crunch. A Mild nature is preferred because physical priority moves are more common than special ones, and it should also be used to put power into Sharpedo's special moves. With the given EV spread, Sharpedo is statistically stronger than Timid Life Orb Starmie and Adamant Swords Dance Lucario.</p>

<p>Inevitably, Sharpedo will have problems when encountering Sand Rush Excadrill in sandstorm, whom Sharpedo cannot outrun without at least three speed boosts. While it doesn't have particular problems with many Choice Scarf users due to Speed Boost, strong priority users, especially Conkeldurr, also cut Sharpedo's sweeping short. Although it can't exactly switch into one of Sharpedo's STAB attacks or Ice Beam, Thundurus can use priority Thunder Wave to seriously cripple Sharpedo before fainting. Sharpedo has issues dealing with dedicated bulky foes, such as Blissey, Ferrothorn, and Gyarados. Most of these foes can stall out Sharpedo via Life Orb recoil, or outright attack to finish it off. Entry hazards may seem minor, but they all severely limit Sharpedo's life span on the field.</p>

<p>Pretty much any decently powered move—resisted or not—will (no spaces around em dashes) severely damage Sharpedo, so it should usually switch in after a teammate has fainted. Sharpedo also doesn't require specific defensive synergy due to its frailty, so feel free to place it in any kind of team that requires its offensive capabilities. Teammates, however, should be able to break through Sharpedo's problem Pokemon and provide external coverage for it. All in all, Fighting-types are the best offensive teammates, as they can instantly check Blissey, Ferrothorn, and many other problematic walls with their STAB attacks. There are various kinds of Fighting-types to utilize; for instance, in addition to easily setting up Swords Dance or Calm Mind in front of bulky Water-types and other defensive foes, Virizion keeps Excadrill in check, while Terrakion can outright punch holes with a Choice Band attached. As for other notable teammates, a Calm Mind Jirachi (specifically Superachi) can lure in and defeat many of its Sharpedo's checks and counters, taking on common priority users fairly well. Magnezone can also threaten Water-types with a STAB Electric-type move, with the added benefit of trapping Steel-type Pokemon with Magnet Pull. As a special mention, Sharpedo works fantastically in rain, which can be provided by a preferably offensive Drizzle Politoed. Keep in mind that Hidden Power Fire is obviously out of the question if Sharpedo is used in rain.</p>

<p>Like any other offensive Pokemon, Sharpedo tremendously appreciates entry hazard support. Stealth Rock is essential for nullifying Skarmory's Sturdy ability, which allows Skarmory to otherwise survive Hydro Pump at full health and smack fight back with Brave Bird. With some layers of hazards, Sharpedo is also able to break down a number of defensive Pokemon, mainly Jellicent, Ferrothorn, and Scizor. Ferrothorn and Deoxys-S are generally the best hazard layers for a fast, offensive momentum, whereas Skarmory and Forretress can gradually lay down hazards with ease. As a side note, Forretress is able to use Rapid Spin as well, eliminating the entry hazards that plague Sharpedo and its team.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>While Sharpedo doesn't have too many options to experiment with outside of the main options, it has just enough to concoct pure physical or special sets. By doing this, Sharpedo can maximize both its Speed and respective attacking stat, making it more formidible formidable and faster on either side. Sharpedo's notable physical options include Waterfall, Earthquake, Double Edge, and Ice Fang, while its only other notable special move is Dark Pulse. Choice Band Sharpedo gets a special mention for being able to blast through teams with Drizzle support; factoring in Speed Boost, it will be incredibly difficult to counter a monster spamming a double-boosted STAB Waterfall. This has competition with Gyarados, however, due to Gyarados's ability to switch into many common moves more often than Sharpedo. Special sweeping sets are also somewhat better left off to the likes of Politoed and Starmie, although the ability to 2HKO Jellicent with STAB Dark Pulse is something to consider. Aqua Jet can be used to kill off weakened opponents and gain a Speed Boost, though Hydro Pump, after a Speed Boost and Protect, is significantly stronger than a mere Aqua Jet.</p>

<p>Substitute lends Sharpedo a safety net to fall back on when forcing switches, making it less susceptible to priority moves. Protect will usually be the superior option, as Sharpedo will lose massive amounts of HP due to Life Orb and Substitute. Sharpedo generally must refrain from using other support moves outside of Protect, as its frailty and Speed boosts are major factors when sweeping with it.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Speed Boost, little few can rely on Speed and not get severely hurt in order when checking Sharpedo. Virtually any Pokemon with a reasonably powerful attack that can withstand Sharpedo's assaults is a solid check. Bulky powerhouses, including but not limited to Ferrothorn, Metagross, Conkeldurr, Empoleon, and Virizion, are ideal for surviving Sharpedo's attacks and striking back, provided they have not suffered too much previous damage. Priority users, such as the aforementioned Scizor and Conkeldurr, nullify Sharpedo's Speed boosts and put a damper on its sweep. Bulky Water-type Pokemon wall the majority of Sharpedo's main attacks outside of the neutral Crunch, with most being able to cripple it with a burn from Scald or Toxic poison. Gyarados gets a special mention, as its main ability, Intimidate, weakens Sharpedo's physical attacks and it can pretty much wall Sharpedo's special attacks as well.</p>

<p>Sharpedo also must beware of switching in, as just about any neutral, or even resistant resisted, attack will deal massive damage to it. Any form of passive damage, including sandstorm, hail, and entry hazards, will also severely limit Sharpedo's presence on the battlefield, as it will not enjoy having its already-short lifespan cut shorter. With Life Orb added in, using prediction and switching in resistances will take out this shark eventually.</p>

Very few errors to speak of! Nicely done. GP 2/2.

I think you're going to want to change Mild to Rash. You noted that most priority attacks are physical, hence why you would want more defense than special defense.

Mild lowers defense.

Curious to see what everyone thinks of this setup:

Choice Band
~Waterfall
~Crunch
~Earthquake / Return
~Aqua Jet
Adamant nature
Speed Boost
252 Atk / 104 Def / 152 Spe

I'm not asking to add this to the analysis, just checking to see if it makes good sense. Choice Band is the best option outside of mixed, I think. The EVs are a bit different than the recommended ones. 152 Speed outruns Base 80s and below, and outruns +130s after one Speed Boost (264-396). I opted for a bit more speed EVs than the mixed set since you can't use Protect to grab extra boosts here.

Originally I had room for 120 Def EVs, which is getting very close to a point where you would rarely be 2HKO'd from full health by Scizor Bullet Punch. Having to drop down to 104 waters down that possibility a bit, but it is more efficient to invest in Def or SpD than HP. You could run 104 SpD instead to switch into more Fire Attacks. The other option is max Speed, of course.

I suggested Return over Double-Edge because of Sharpedo's frailty.

I just wanted to note that poliwrath and empoleon,though not common, resist every move on the set, and should be mentioned in cc. They also threaten Sharpedo with fighting moves or grass knot.

AccidentalGreed

I just wanted to note that poliwrath and empoleon,though not common, resist every move on the set, and should be mentioned in cc. They also threaten Sharpedo with fighting moves or grass knot.
Alright, added.

And Choice Band has already been mentioned in the Other Options. Try consulting the Sharpedo thread in DragonSpiral Tower if you wish to have suggestions on that set.

EDIT: in goes the Toxicroak.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you're mentioning Poliwrath and Empoleon, Toxicroak also deserves a mention :d.

Great work, AccidentalGreed!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)