Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Thank you very much, I more question, if you z move let's say brave bird on full HP Talonflame in psychic terrain will it work with +1 priority?
It will be +1 priority but psychic terrain doesn't affect non grounded mons(flying types,or if they have levitate) so you can still hit them

What does TR Magearna run? Any good replays and teammate suggestions? TR is only an "other option" on its analysis. I see TR Magearna picking up traction.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What does TR Magearna run? Any good replays and teammate suggestions? TR is only an "other option" on its analysis. I see TR Magearna picking up traction.
I don't think it is picking up traction at all; in fact, I find it to be quite mediocre currently. Regardless, Trick Room + Z-Fleur Cannon + Thunderbolt + Focus Blast or Ice Beam is the way to go, with Focus Blast being far more common.

I'm trying to make a core with Mega Venu and Celesteela. What would be the optimal EV spreads in the metagame with them paired together? Mixed defensive celesteela or full spdf? Earthquake or Hp fire mega venu? Full spdf or smogon sample set for mega venu?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I'm trying to make a core with Mega Venu and Celesteela. What would be the optimal EV spreads in the metagame with them paired together? Mixed defensive celesteela or full spdf? Earthquake or Hp fire mega venu? Full spdf or smogon sample set for mega venu?
These all really depend on the remainder of your team, but odds are that both should have at least some SDef investment. Celesteela for Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam insurance. Mega Venusaur for Greninja (Ash) insurance. Sets really fully depend on the team as a whole, but Celesteela is HSlam/Flame/Leech/Protect 90% of the time whereas Mega Venusaur should probably be Synthesis + EQ/HP Fire + STABs more often than not.

Finch got the set, but I'll add I think focus blast is massively superior to ice beam, as just about anything ice hits fleur or tbolt will handle. Team mates for TR mage depend on whether it's run on full TR, semi-TR or as a one-off sweeper. Full TR usually involves some combination of: Mage, Cress, Crawdaunt, Alola-wak, Stakataka, a slow powerful mega (maw and cross most common) and a suicide TR lead like Uxie. The idea of this team is to basically always have TR up and Mage can be setter, sweeper or both. To be honest I find full TR pretty lacking as a playstyle although it does mess up a lot of other playstyles.

Semi-TR can come in a couple variants. Mage plus additional TR setter-sweepers or Mage plus a TR abuser or two (crawdaunt is most common). These teams are less about having trick room up all the time and more using trick room strategically to blow open a game or finish an opponent off. My sig has an RMT with semi-TR and you can find lots of replays just by searching me. Also Aim used it in his road to #1 session 15 as his featured team so you could just watch that.

One off Trick room is a shift gear mage that trades unlimited turns of being faster for better bulk and slightly better power. It has the same kind of team mates as shift gear. The extra bulk wins some matchups, but because TR is really short it can't do things like double dance that shift gear can.

OK so I don't know whether it is appropriate to post this question here, but what is the general structure of bulky offense and spike stack HO and which pokemon are advised to be used in it thanks

This may be a dumb question but do Avalugg stall teams need a secondary sr remover/Defogger to work well?

I mean you already have m-sableye for hazard control and Avalugg does have good recovery to deal with it

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
This may be a dumb question but do Avalugg stall teams need a secondary sr remover/Defogger to work well?

I mean you already have m-sableye for hazard control and Avalugg does have good recovery to deal with it
In general, stall teams almost always have atleast two Defoggers, as keeping hazards off your side is crucial so you can constantly switch without taking damage each time. Of course this is very important for Avalugg since it take a quarter of its health from Stealth Rock instead of the regular damage.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader

Yes, every stall team should have mulitple direct removers, if not three. You should have a reliable remover for just about every hazard setter in the metagame to avoid sequences where things get chipped and then you no longer have sufficient counterplay to the opponent's threats.

edit: oof, sniped. but yea, what Estronic said is correct!

OK so I don't know whether it is appropriate to post this question here, but what is the general structure of bulky offense and spike stack HO and which pokemon are advised to be used in it thanks
Quite varied. I would check out replays of these teams in places like this to see high-level examples. These archetypes are fairly widespread and can viably run dozens of Pokemon, potentially. If you have more specific questions on what partners or spreads or Pokemon might be in any given situation, I'd be glad to help, but I'd have to write an essay to sufficiently answer this.

OK so I decided to build spike stack HO. For my lead I chose Excadrill, because it's the best in my experience and scolipede, because it's faster than greninja (after a turn which is always because you have sash) and has endeavor which is really annoying. So then I decided to add some pokemon that force a lot of switches, but I really don't know which setup sweepers to chose. I like bisharp + Mega Gyarados because they force a lot of switches and defiant prevents defog. But after that I got stuck. A lot of things seem to work yet none does really well. Advice needed, that is what I was asking before

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
OK so I decided to build spike stack HO. For my lead I chose Excadrill, because it's the best in my experience and scolipede, because it's faster than greninja (after a turn which is always because you have sash) and has endeavor which is really annoying. So then I decided to add some pokemon that force a lot of switches, but I really don't know which setup sweepers to chose. I like bisharp + Mega Gyarados because they force a lot of switches and defiant prevents defog. But after that I got stuck. A lot of things seem to work yet none does really well. Advice needed, that is what I was asking before
I would advice against using scolipede because unlike greninja it lacks taunt which is very important in a meta where defoggers like torn are very common and you don’t want to give your opponent the opportunity to remove your hazards before you have even began to apply pressure with your set-up sweepers

I would advice against using scolipede because unlike greninja it lacks taunt which is very important in a meta where defoggers like torn are very common and you don’t want to give your opponent the opportunity to remove your hazards before you have even began to apply pressure with your set-up sweepers
OK but what about other pokemon. Which pkmn you advise me to add to my bisharp/megyarados core

Is the cm pain split magearna set still worth it without the z move? I already have a z user but maybe leftovers works

OK but what about other pokemon. Which pkmn you advise me to add to my bisharp/megyarados core
Bisharp and Mega Gyarados sounds like a Sticky Web or Screens team. However, I really wouldn't put both of them on a team together, since there are quite a lot of powerful fighting- and fairy-types in the tier like Mega Lopunny or Tapu Lele that can take advantage of double dark, esp since none of them have speed tiers above 90. Generally Bisharp is fit on sticky web as the oppo usually wants to defog those away, and you can take advantage of that with Bisharp. Mega Gyarados fits well on screens ho with its decent bulk and ability to break stall.

E: I currently don't have any teams like that, but sticky web users would be something like Ribombee or Araquanid, while screens user would usually be tapu koko, although ninetales-alola is an option as well

Ugh typing on phone is ridiculously hard.

Bisharp and Mega Gyarados sounds like a Sticky Web or Screens team. However, I really wouldn't put both of them on a team together, since there are quite a lot of powerful fighting- and fairy-types in the tier like Mega Lopunny or Tapu Lele that can take advantage of double dark, esp since none of them have speed tiers above 90. Generally Bisharp is fit on sticky web as the oppo usually wants to defog those away, and you can take advantage of that with Bisharp. Mega Gyarados fits well on screens ho with its decent bulk and ability to break stall.

E: I currently don't have any teams like that, but sticky web users would be something like Ribombee or Araquanid, while screens user would usually be tapu koko, although ninetales-alola is an option as well

Ugh typing on phone is ridiculously hard.
Sure so which pokemon are generaly good with screens koko, lead excadrill and megyarados?

Sure so which pokemon are generaly good with screens koko, lead excadrill and megyarados?
Magearna is a good example, having good natural bulk with the added bulk from dual screens make it a great setup sweeper on Screens HO. Hawlucha is another option, benefitting from both Electric Terrain and dual screens support, and is quite an underprepared threat. Tbf any setup sweeper is quite amazing with dual screens support, like Dual Dance Mew, Volcarona, Mega Gyarados, etc. You could also try the Sub CM Blacephalon set, which is also pretty good at stallbreaking.

Edit: Also keep in mind that you can't just stuff random setup sweepers and call it HO

Last edited:

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
What are some cool niche mons to use in OU like bulky kommo-o and TR Cofagrigus?
That's a very subjective question, since there are a lot of niche Pokemon in OU. Take a look here and you can find some niche Pokemon from basically B- and below.

Also, Trick Room Cofagrigus is something you'll probably see once every tenth blue moon. If you would want a better niche Pokemon that can set up Trick Room, Cresselia is a cool pick due to its bulk and other utility besides Trick Room

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)