Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Do we know when we will start dropping some weaker Pokemon in the OU metagame down to UU or other tiers below that?

Hey so I only came to competitive around mid ORAS, and never saw lando-I. Now that it's back again - what are the best sets for it? LO sheer force usually runs what, earth power sludge wave focus blast hp ice? Rock polish? Thanks so much

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
Does anyone think Mega Kangaskhan could possibly be tested for OU? Besides Parental Bond being noticeably nerfed, Sucker Punch also lost 10 BP, so instead of a 120 BP move, it's now only 87.5.

So I just evolved a cubone with its hidden ability Rock Head, but the Alolan Marrowack it evolved into had cursed body.

"Is there some change to how Hidden abilites work, in that the are not automatically transfered to evolutions?"

Loads of places say Alolan Marrowack can get Rock Head so I am legitamately confused.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Does anyone think Mega Kangaskhan could possibly be tested for OU? Besides Parental Bond being noticeably nerfed, Sucker Punch also lost 10 BP, so instead of a 120 BP move, it's now only 87.5.
Potentially, but it won't be one of the first matters that we address. First off, we must reach a balance, or close to it, in the current metagame given everything we have on the table right now, which is quite a bit. Then, we can discuss the prospect of implementing some sort of retest, which may very well be Mega Kangaskhan. So only time and metagame development will tell.
Hey so I only came to competitive around mid ORAS, and never saw lando-I. Now that it's back again - what are the best sets for it? LO sheer force usually runs what, earth power sludge wave focus blast hp ice? Rock polish? Thanks so much
The best set is definitely Life Orb + Sheer Force, correct. As for moves, it's a bit of a weird situation as there are so many viable moves out there and so many coverage options to hit so many things that you could potentially want to in the tier. Generally speaking, Earth Power is a staple and Focus Blast seems to be quite common, but so does HP Ice, Rock Slide, and Stealth Rock (probably in, roughly, that order, too). Personally, my favorite set is: Earth Power, Focus Blast, Rock Slide, and then either Rock Polish, Stealth Rock, or Hidden Power Ice depending on if the team needs a sweeper, stealth rock, or neither (if neither, then I run HP Ice for coverage purposes, but Sludge Wave can be added here if the fairy match-up is in question at all and Knock Off works if you're vulnerable to stall and want things to be crippled to a significant extent). With this all said, you need to gauge your own team's weaknesses, strengths, etc. to determine your Landorus-I moveset more often than not, so keep that in mind and good luck!

I'm sure many people have asked similar questions, but I'm wondering if someone could give me a quick summary on what mons/cores/teams are the best in this early meta? I want to ladder while the meta is still chaotic so I can earn GXE easier and participate in suspect tests.
When I came back to see how the Gen 7 meta was, I didn't realize everything would be unbanned, so this meta doesn't really look fun or interesting. But I want to play with all of the OP stuff!

Also, if anyone has a list of the recorded mechanics changes anywhere (I haven't looked yet so it's probably somewhere obvious) that would be really nice! I heard that Mega Evolutions have their mega speed first turn now?

Is there a list somewhere of all Z-moves, INCLUDING Z-status moves? Serebii just has the attacking ones, so I have no way of knowing what, say, Z-Swords Dance does.

Gumshoos's Stakeout is permanent once the opponent's pokemon is switched or its like Revenge and works only for the first hit? Seems that having double damage on everything after the opponent switches could be quite strong even tho Gumshoos's speed it terrible, making it a very good TR pokemon as switches happen by its partnet forcing the opponent's pokemon out. Also, does Roar/Whirlwind trigger it too?

I'm sure many people have asked similar questions, but I'm wondering if someone could give me a quick summary on what mons/cores/teams are the best in this early meta? I want to ladder while the meta is still chaotic so I can earn GXE easier and participate in suspect tests.
When I came back to see how the Gen 7 meta was, I didn't realize everything would be unbanned, so this meta doesn't really look fun or interesting. But I want to play with all of the OP stuff!

Also, if anyone has a list of the recorded mechanics changes anywhere (I haven't looked yet so it's probably somewhere obvious) that would be really nice! I heard that Mega Evolutions have their mega speed first turn now?
I don't think we have a core thread. The closest think we have rn is the SM OU Bazaar

Is there a list somewhere of all Z-moves, INCLUDING Z-status moves? Serebii just has the attacking ones, so I have no way of knowing what, say, Z-Swords Dance does.

Z-Move discussion

Okay hi everyone, I'm a new member here. Anyway, quick question and it's about Tapu Koko's ability, Electric Surge. When Electric Surge is activated, is it only active whenever Tapu Koko's on the field or is its effects still active even when Tapu Koko's switched out/knocked out? Just wondering.

Okay hi everyone, I'm a new member here. Anyway, quick question and it's about Tapu Koko's ability, Electric Surge. When Electric Surge is activated, is it only active whenever Tapu Koko's on the field or is its effects still active even when Tapu Koko's switched out/knocked out? Just wondering.
It works like the weather abilities, if Koko switchs out/gets knocked out, the terrian remains active, and stays like that until
A) The 5 turns have passed and electric terrain deactivates naturally
B)Another terrain activates, either by a move or an ability, replacing the current one

So I just evolved a cubone with its hidden ability Rock Head, but the Alolan Marrowack it evolved into had cursed body.

"Is there some change to how Hidden abilites work, in that the are not automatically transfered to evolutions?"

Loads of places say Alolan Marrowack can get Rock Head so I am legitamately confused.
Re-posting cause I realized how late I posted.

Any kind of answer would be great, It really annoyed me when my Rock Head Cubone evolved into a Cursed Body Alolan Marrowak

Any kind of answer would be great, It really annoyed me when my Rock Head Cubone evolved into a Cursed Body Alolan Marrowak
Rock Head is in a different ability slot for Cubone and Alolan Marowak; it is ability 1 for Cubone and the Hidden Ability for Marowak. Therefore, Rock Head Cubone will always evolve into Cursed Body Marowak. if you want Rock Head Marowak, you need Hidden Ability Cubone, which is Battle Armor.

It's quite confusing.

Each Pokémon has 3 ability slots, 2 normal and one hidden. When a Pokémon evolves, it retains its ability slot (So, an Ability slot 1 Cubone evolves into an ability slot 1 Marowak)

According to Bulbapedia:
Cubone has
1) Rock Head
2) Lightning Rod
H) Battle Armor

Marowak has
1) Rock Head
2) Lightning Rod
H) Battle Armor

Marowak Alola has
1) Cursed Body
2) Lightning Rod
H) Rock Head (Showdown says is Rock Head, while Bulbapedia says is Battle Armor, I honestly have no idea)

Your Cubone had Rock Head, so it had its ability in slot 1, upon evolving, it transform into Marowak-A slot 1 ability, Cursed Body

So, answering to question, no, the way the abilities work hidden abilities work hasn't changed. And Rock Head is not a hidden ability anyways

And according to Bulbapedia, Marowak Alola doesn't have access to Rock Head. It may be a mistake, and HA Marowak Alola is indeed Rock Head

Is ash greninja nature locked? On serebii it said it's locked as a hardy nature, but on showdown I can use any nature. Not sure which is true.

This is just a suggestion ; why not make an FAQ in the OP (the asnwer to the question can be a link to a post which answers it) so that the same questions don't get asked over and over?

Is ash greninja nature locked? On serebii it said it's locked as a hardy nature, but on showdown I can use any nature. Not sure which is true.
It is not Nature-locked. However, it has fixed IVs

So, is there any way to fix it? Anyone to talk to?

edit:nvm, it was a problem with how I set up the teambuilder.

As long as I'm here, any suggestions for good rain stealth rockers?

Last edited:
As a previous poster noted, Lanodrus-I can run a variety of sets, but all of them are based on the great combo life orb and sheer power. This is because it has a very good attack and special attack, and sits at a very useful speed tier (101 - obviously outspeeding all the various 100 base speed).

It typically runs a utility or boosting move - it's a solid stealth rock setter but it could instead run a boosting move, typically rock polish, plus three attacks.

So it can run a fully special set with Earth Power for stab, then a couple of other moves from its quite small move pool (Sludge Bomb/Wave, Focus Blast, HP Ice is a common one, Psychic or Extrasensory).

Or it can run a mixed set again, Earth Power (far better than Earthquake as it gets a sheer force boost), and maybe one of the above as a second move, with one or two of Rock Slide, Superpower, Knock Off, U-Turn.

Or it could run a fully physical set, though this is outclassed by Landorus-T given T's massive attack, and most of I's best physical moves don't get the sheer force boost, which seems a waste. But this would look like Rock Slide (mandatory as it is the only move that does get the sheer force boost) Earthquake, Superpower, Knock Off, U-Turn. But a fully physical set is probably a waste, as mentioned T beats it in terms of power, though not speed.

Hope this helps!

Just a question, but I read up on hyper training and wanted to ask...does it make IV spreads for Hidden Power irrelevant now?
No, the Pokémon Hyper trained keeps its original IVs (and hidden power), but its stats resemble the stats of a 6IV Pokémon

An example: You have 31/30/31/30/31/30 Latios, with HP Fire, if you now hyper train attack, special attack and speed, Latios' stats will resemble the stats of a 31/31/31/31/31/31 Latios, but it will keep its original 31/30/31/30/31/30 IVs and it keeps its HP Fire.

So, thanks to hyper training, you can have a mon with 6IVs stats, and any hidden power

So, is there any way to fix it? Anyone to talk to?

edit:nvm, it was a problem with how I set up the teambuilder.

As long as I'm here, any suggestions for good rain stealth rockers?
Ferro and defensive Jirachi are pretty good rn, being able to check Koko and Pheromosa respectively
Other good options are Defensive Chomp, Lando-T and Dugtrio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)