Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

What keeps magnezone, which is widely regarded as an amazing steel trapper, from being banned to ubers. I am not asking for it to be, it just seems kind of weird

What keeps magnezone, which is widely regarded as an amazing steel trapper, from being banned to ubers. I am not asking for it to be, it just seems kind of weird
If you're referring to Arena Trap and Shadow Tag being banned, but not Magnet Pull, I believe the reason is that Magnet Pull is significantly more limited in what it traps.

This is a rather specific question, but I hope someone might still be able to answer it:

In P2's updated Ditto team that he used twice in SPL, does anyone know what EVs he uses for his MZor? It runs SD + Superpower, but from the damage it did with its moves, you can see it isn't max atk + ada (which is the recommended spread for sd + superpower in the smogdex), so if anyone has the actual EVs i'd be much obliged :)

Also it looks like in one of his matches his Chansey runs Healing Wish, while in the other it runs TWave, what's the reasoning behind the switchup? Did he expect his 2nd opponent to bring something that requires a para to be handled? Or was it an "updated" version of his team?

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, after a lot of time I didn't play and didn't know the meta changes since Naga Meta, I would like ask you:
Good partners for a Z-Fly DD Gyarados? and what kind of team it fits the best right now ?
Thanks you in advance

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
What are the main set details for Lando-T bulky scarf? It's not in the Smogon dex.
There are alot of variants being used.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 104 HP / 184 Def / 24 SpA / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

This is one that I use, 24 SpA is to help 2hko Zygarde I believe.

They all usually run 196 speed to outspeed Mega-Alakazam

Can someone give me a list of pokemon that function well on bulky offense teams?
Yeah it is a very expansive list, in general look for Pokemon with either high attack stats, that are supported by decent defenses (eg. Tyranitar), or high defenses supported by decent attack (eg. Ferrothron). Common Pokemon include Landorus-T, Magearna and Heatran. Look at the OU Cores Thread in defensive/balanced cores for good starting points. Most BO teams have a strong defensive backbone, with mons that can support this and others that deal out heavy damage, also most often one mon with high speed, usually using a Choice Scarf or less commonly a priority move, sometimes both on different Pokemon (eg. Protean Greninja or Ash-Greninja respectively).

Last edited:
I use M-Scizor a lot and it's obviously incredible, but lately I've gotten to wondering: is Scizor particularly viable in USUM OU? My general understanding is that its usage dropped off in SuMo because M-Scizor was just significantly better most of the time.

I plan on testing this out myself, but I also want to see what others think. I guess my overall questions is this: can Scizor find significant enough viability on teams whose Mega slot has been taken by another Pokémon?

I use M-Scizor a lot and it's obviously incredible, but lately I've gotten to wondering: is Scizor particularly viable in USUM OU? My general understanding is that its usage dropped off in SuMo because M-Scizor was just significantly better most of the time.

I plan on testing this out myself, but I also want to see what others think. I guess my overall questions is this: can Scizor find significant enough viability on teams whose Mega slot has been taken by another Pokémon?
Not really. Power creep hurt regular Scizor, and the power and bulk difference between it and the Mega is important. Mega Scizor has the bulk to take on the top threats

The problem with Scizor nowadays is that its bulk is simply too poor for a Pokemon meant to tank hits (Z-Moves in particular, though it already struggled to find something to do in XY and ORAS).

As someone who hasn't been dedicated to playing since XY, are there any resources I can use to catch up to the current meta?

Also, is Gengar OU or UU?
Check the OU Viability Rankings, Speed Tiers and Metagame Discussion might help also.
Gengar is UU.
Edit: Sample Teams and Cores are really helpful for building too if that's your kinda thing.

Last edited:
As someone who hasn't been dedicated to playing since XY, are there any resources I can use to catch up to the current meta?

Also, is Gengar OU or UU?
You can find a full list of the difference in mechanics in the past gens forum, but off the top of my head:
  • Various status effects were nerfed (Burn deals less, Para reduces speed less, Less chance to hit yourself in confusion)
  • Various abilities were nerfed (Dark types are immune to Prankster affected moves, ____iate abilities only boost x1.2, Gale Wings only works at full health)
  • There now exist Z Crystals and Z Moves (probably best to check out a YouTube video on these)

For what is deemed strong in the current meta check out the Viability Ranking thread and for what Pokemon do what either look at the Role Compendium thread or a Pokemon's Smogon page.

Gengar is currently UU but is definitely considered viable in OU.

Can someone help me with the remaining EVs and Nature on My Sub Coil Zygarde set? Thanks for the help!:)

Zygarde @ Leftovers
EVs: 188 Hp
Nature:
-Coil
-Substitute
-Thousand Arrows
-Toxic

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Can someone help me with the remaining EVs and Nature on My Sub Coil Zygarde set? Thanks for the help!:)

Zygarde @ Leftovers
EVs: 188 Hp
Nature:
-Coil
-Substitute
-Thousand Arrows
-Toxic
Hi, idt Ive seen this set before so Im not sure what it would run, since it doesnt have dd I’d try to hit a decent Speed benchmark like 280 for Heatran or 281 for Gliscor creeping Heatran, then just out the rest into bulk not sure if atk investement makes that big of a difference here. As a side note I’d recommend you try a slightly different set, maybe something like sub dd coil or sub dd with tspikes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)