Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Hi, idt Ive seen this set before so Im not sure what it would run, since it doesnt have dd I’d try to hit a decent Speed benchmark like 280 for Heatran or 281 for Gliscor creeping Heatran, then just out the rest into bulk not sure if atk investement makes that big of a difference here. As a side note I’d recommend you try a slightly different set, maybe something like sub dd coil or sub dd with tspikes
Alright thanks for the help!:) I'll try those suggestions! Thank you!:)

Reactions: Leo
Why does Zapdos run 248 HP instead of 252? Is losing 1 less HP to SR really more important than getting 1 more point of lefties recovery per turn?

Why does Zapdos run 248 HP instead of 252? Is losing 1 less HP to SR really more important than getting 1 more point of lefties recovery per turn?
You be able to come into sr 1 more extra time. Rather than fainting on the switch in into rocks a second time.

Is there a general guide for teambuilding in usm ou anywhere? Also, how do I make bulky offense type teams that don't have hard hawlucha counters like zapdos & clefable as less weak to it as possible?

Is there a general guide for teambuilding in usm ou anywhere? Also, how do I make bulky offense type teams that don't have hard hawlucha counters like zapdos & clefable as less weak to it as possible?
i think pdc made a teambuilding guide, theres some outdated ones likes joeys and blunders but a lot of the logic and knowledge still holds true. also koko himself, especially shuca is a solid lucha check, especially if its carrying roost. other checks are shit like fini, pex can take one +2 boosted acro and haze / fish for burns / toxic it in return. priority is also nice - mega pinsir qa, grens shuriken etc.

A

Joker fan
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

Hmm there's a few other alternatives to use to patch up the Hawlucha weakness, Defensive Flyinium Z or Toxic Landorus-T is one of the more safer options while also crippling the likes of Tapu Bulu, Zapdos and Tangrowth as a bonus, if you forgo U-turn and say go Stealth Rock / HP Ice / Earthquake / Toxic you can soft check Hawlucha (or put in a timer then proceed to play accordingly) while still checking Zygarde. Protox handles Hawlucha, while protect-less Landorus-T needs a bit of help still from the team.

12 HP / 244 SpA / 252 Spe Tapu Koko will always be able to avoid the OHKO from +2 Hi Jump Kick from Hawlucha after Stealth Rock, and only has a 12% to be KO'd by the rare Stone Edge variants

alternatively, the Shuca EV spread will always beat it, but that's team dependent.

Tapu Fini (bulky spread) buffers a bit vs Hawlucha and can 1v1 if Hawlucha has been slightly chipped by say Stealth Rock, and it also cancels out Terrain which prevents it from being established in the first place. (also helps vs Medicham)

If you're running BO, a bigger threat to think about is Medicham which is pretty limiting in terms of defensive counterplay, so you should really consider Magic Guard Clefable or Mew in mind when building.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 12 HP / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock / Protect (only if you have a Stealth Rock user already like Ferrothorn or Heatran)
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hmm there's a few other alternatives to use to patch up the Hawlucha weakness, Defensive Flyinium Z or Toxic Landorus-T is one of the more safer options while also crippling the likes of Tapu Bulu, Zapdos and Tangrowth as a bonus, if you forgo U-turn and say go Stealth Rock / HP Ice / Earthquake / Toxic you can soft check Hawlucha (or put in a timer then proceed to play accordingly) while still checking Zygarde. Protox handles Hawlucha, while protect-less Landorus-T needs a bit of help still from the team.

12 HP / 244 SpA / 252 Spe Tapu Koko will always be able to avoid the OHKO from +2 Hi Jump Kick from Hawlucha after Stealth Rock, and only has a 12% to be KO'd by the rare Stone Edge variants

alternatively, the Shuca EV spread will always beat it, but that's team dependent.

Tapu Fini (bulky spread) buffers a bit vs Hawlucha and can 1v1 if Hawlucha has been slightly chipped by say Stealth Rock, and it also cancels out Terrain which prevents it from being established in the first place. (also helps vs Medicham)

If you're running BO, a bigger threat to think about is Medicham which is pretty limiting in terms of defensive counterplay, so you should really consider Magic Guard Clefable or Mew in mind when building.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 12 HP / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock / Protect (only if you have a Stealth Rock user already like Ferrothorn or Heatran)
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Ice]
thanks this was somewhat in depth, i was laddering a bit few weeks ago and i had a full hp koko specially for hawlucha and i thought i was gucci but like... "the opposing hawlucha used swords dance! the opposing hawlucha used poison jab!" my rng has to be 1 of the worst on ladder.

and about medicham, ive always just brought something like a specs ashgren that can threaten it with an ohko and *risky* way to pivot it in and get medicham out of my face. hate clef for counter medicham coz it literally puts u in a shit position to get haxed, i personally did this to someone using a clef by using zen on a predicted switch and then trying to flinch it and i got it and he was cursing at me upside down lol.

but hey, thanks.

Hey what happened to the creative and underrated thread? I cant find it and i wanted to post an uh interesting clefable sweeper set

Even withour posting i liked seeing the creative sets every now and then

if you want a really unreliable and bad counter just use a random mon with red card lmao

A

Joker fan
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Is that much viable Unaware Clefable in balance builds that are weak to some setup mons like lucha or subtect DD zyg?

it's doable but you should keep in mind that Unaware Clef has a couple of weaknesses such as being affected by hazards, limited recovery (you're stuck with Wish + Protect, Moonlight isn't very good), being prone to status (though it can fit heal bell!) among other things, but it's definitely much safer when facing against those two as even Iron Tail variants fail to 2HKO provided Stealth Rock isn't on the field (and Protect also helps anyway), and doesn't care about Hawlucha boosting. As a bonus, Unaware Clef ignores Psychic Seed's special defense boost if you come across Tapu Lele + Hawlucha.

If you are Unaware on a balance build, you should try to keep the surprise as much as possible so you can take advantage of your opponents thinking you're Magic Guard.

It does trade off more reliable healing and other great benefits of Magic Guard so feel free to take your pick, and then build or adjust accordingly on your team!

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Can you hire kokoloko to ban a bunch of stuff? I think there are too many threats right now. If not, are there plans dispense of a certain other Koko?
To my knowledge, there are currently no public plans for a suspect test in the near future.

Can you hire kokoloko to ban a bunch of stuff? I think there are too many threats right now. If not, are there plans dispense of a certain other Koko?
In the first place, I really don't understand why you'd want Koko 'dispensed' but this isn't the place for suspect talk to let's just get to the other point. I honestly think Kokoloko method doesn't belong in Over Used at all, it I said amazing for lower tiers that constantly have their metagame changed but on a ter such as OU that doesn't face quick rises or quick drops, it's honestly unecessary.

I dont know if im crazy or just bad but how do u beat magnezone + lele/kartana/pinsir/(insert mon that hates steel) teams?

Its very unfair to have ur steel just mindlessly removed by random u-turn/bait to make way for another mon to sweep u easily and its honestly ruining any enjoyment of running balance in this meta
Am i supposed to run shed shell ferro/steela or never switch in my steel until i beat magnezone? I dont get it its irritating me almost as much as dugtrio, all trapping gets me really mad, ive started to run shed shell ferrothorn/celesteela

Is there a way to not autolose to magnezone support based teams on fat balance?

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I dont know if im crazy or just bad but how do u beat magnezone + lele/kartana/pinsir/(insert mon that hates steel) teams?

Its very unfair to have ur steel just mindlessly removed by random u-turn/bait to make way for another mon to sweep u easily and its honestly ruining any enjoyment of running balance in this meta
Am i supposed to run shed shell ferro/steela or never switch in my steel until i beat magnezone? I dont get it its irritating me almost as much as dugtrio, all trapping gets me really mad, ive started to run shed shell ferrothorn/celesteela

For Lele there is AV Mag, Heatran and U-turn Jirachi.

For Kart there is Zapdos, Landorus, Tangrowth (unless fightinium) and your own scarf Zone.

For Pinsir there is Zapdos, Shuca Koko and Rotom-Wash.

I agree Magnezone is a great trapper but it isn't unfair imo, and you still have options on balance.

Hey, check my thread, where we analysed Pokemon that can threaten the core of Magnezone + Pinsir ;) ;) ;).

Just scroll down from the linked post, also if there's any other cores you're struggling with you can check the Archive on page 1!

Last edited:
Can someone help me with the EVs and Nature to my Magearna set? I'm relatively new to competitive battling and am not very confident in my ability to dictate where EVs go in every pokemon. Any form of advice would be greatly appreciated! But please keep in mind I asked for EVs and Nature help, not a moveset change:)

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul Heart
Evs:
Nature:
-Calm Mind
-Thunder Bolt
-Pain Split
-Fleur Cannon

Thank you for the help!!:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)