Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

HCJB

Banned deucer.
What in your opinion is the best non-Z-move non-Mega setup sweeper this gen {EDIT: stand-alone with no support, blue sky opinions is what I'm after even if they're unconventional)? Don't worry about concerns with hazards or anything like that, just something that will hit the meta hard. Also not Clefable, as it's already a setter on my team.

I'm looking to develop a dual screens team, and I have a mega and Z-move user I want to use already. I'm looking for another early game wrecker who can pull some punches to facilitate sweeping from an even heavier hitter, I'm not using hazards and want to apply maximum blunt force early.

Magearna and Volcarona hit somewhat hard and may be appropriate, but both work better as Z-move users themselves and lack a little punch without them. Any thoughts? Don't worry about team composition, I'm looking for a general breaker, who sets effectively behind screens.

Last edited:
What in your opinion is the best non-Z-move non-Mega setup sweeper this gen? Don't worry about concerns with hazards or anything like that, just something that will hit the meta hard. Also not Clefable, as it's already a setter on my team.

I'm looking to develop a dual screens team, and I have a mega and Z-move user I want to use already. I'm looking for another early game wrecker who can pull some punches to facilitate sweeping from an even heavier hitter, I'm not using hazards and want to apply maximum blunt force early.

Magearna and Volcarona hit somewhat hard and may be appropriate, but both work better as Z-move users themselves and lack a little punch without them. Any thoughts? Don't worry about team composition, I'm looking for a general breaker, who sets effectively behind screens.
Hawlucha with Koko support.

HCJB

Banned deucer.
Hawlucha with Koko support.
A good answer, but without going into team details I'm looking for something else. I should have clarified I want a standalone mon rather than a pair, which perhaps can set easier under screens. Thanks anyway, I do appreciate it.

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
What in your opinion is the best non-Z-move non-Mega setup sweeper this gen {EDIT: stand-alone with no support, blue sky opinions is what I'm after even if they're unconventional)? Don't worry about concerns with hazards or anything like that, just something that will hit the meta hard. Also not Clefable, as it's already a setter on my team.

I think the best thing for that specific role of setup sweeper would be Zygarde, specifically the Double Dance set.

It's on the analysis but I think it might be slightly outdated as a new Zygarde analysis is being made I believe

A good answer, but without going into team details I'm looking for something else. I should have clarified I want a standalone mon rather than a pair, which perhaps can set easier under screens. Thanks anyway, I do appreciate it.
Koko can set screens on his own tho and it is a good set for HO teams like the one it sounds like you are trying to build. And if you want a non-mega, non-z move sweeper to utilize with it, Hawlucha is a fantastic choice. Point is, you should really think about Screens Koko

HCJB

Banned deucer.
I think the best thing for that specific role of setup sweeper would be Zygarde, specifically the Double Dance set.

It's on the analysis but I think it might be slightly outdated as a new Zygarde analysis is being made I believe
Zygarde is pretty weak and doesn't bust though. Base 100 Atk with a base power 90 move, it never busts much even Adamant and +1. I have already tried it on this team, and I think the meta is so wary of Zygarde gaining an inch that people over prepare for it. It's a late game sweeper with a lot of support, rather than a potential early game king. With so much HP Ice, it's impossible to get a perfect breaker set, even with screens - IMO.

Koko can set screens on his own tho and it is a good set for HO teams like the one it sounds like you are trying to build. And if you want a non-mega, non-z move sweeper to utilize with it, Hawlucha is a fantastic choice. Point is, you should really think about Screens Koko
I'm aware of all this, I never said I didn't want to use Koko or wasn't using it, just that I wanted a standalone suggestion. Apologies for bluntness, but team composition and all that. I think follow-ups of, "Yeah, but did you really not consider this??" are always a bit redundant when a person has said no.

I guess this wasn't a simple question after all. If anyone has an idea of "this is a non-Z non-Mega that can wreck once it sets, but needs an opportunity, which is situationally fine if you have screens" let me know, but otherwise it's no big and I'll try to figure it out myself.

Zygarde is pretty weak and doesn't bust though. Base 100 Atk with a base power 90 move, it never busts much even Adamant and +1. I have already tried it on this team, and I think the meta is so wary of Zygarde gaining an inch that people over prepare for it. It's a late game sweeper with a lot of support, rather than a potential early game king. With so much HP Ice, it's impossible to get a perfect breaker set, even with screens - IMO.

I'm aware of all this, I never said I didn't want to use Koko or wasn't using it, just that I wanted a standalone suggestion. Apologies for bluntness, but team composition and all that. I think follow-ups of, "Yeah, but did you really not consider this??" are always a bit redundant when a person has said no.

I guess this wasn't a simple question after all. If anyone has an idea of "this is a non-Z non-Mega that can wreck once it sets, but needs an opportunity, which is situationally fine if you have screens" let me know, but otherwise it's no big and I'll try to figure it out myself.
You might want to just post your team somewhere (perhaps here, but be careful of the rules) then so people have some idea of what this "team composition" is. Otherwise, we are just wasting our time when you seem to be shooting down all suggestions and we aren't given further specifics to try and help you with (like ground immunities, fire-type, etc).

To follow-up on the Zygarde suggestion, what about Weakness Policy Zygarde, which has gained momentum in the meta recently? This gives it more oomph and behind screens (or even without them) it should be able to take a non-STAB HP Ice or some other weak SE hit and activate the boosts. Not trying to sound rude or redundant, just trying to help answer your question

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
What do You do with Volcanion? Like moveset and spread and teammates or is there a lure set? I also You get a steel type like always and lando likes not having to eat ice and water while land stops ground and electric

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What do You do with Volcanion? Like moveset and spread and teammates or is there a lure set? I also You get a steel type like always and lando likes not having to eat ice and water while land stops ground and electric
Pretty mediocre overall. Probably specs or sub, but maybe a niche set with z Earth Power could be viable. It’s cool in theory, but in practice too much stops it to justify slow, SR weak, and not defensive oriented pokemon in a metagame where you’re generally strapped for slots to begin with.

HCJB

Banned deucer.
You might want to just post your team somewhere (perhaps here, but be careful of the rules) then so people have some idea of what this "team composition" is. Otherwise, we are just wasting our time when you seem to be shooting down all suggestions and we aren't given further specifics to try and help you with (like ground immunities, fire-type, etc).
I'm not really looking for any kind of defensive synergy, just something that is generally spashable in the meta. I wouldn't say shooting down Lucha and saying Zygarde can be a little week at times being overly dismissive either. I already have something else that needs Koko to function well, so having a large Koko dependency seems like setting myself up to fail - or at least giving myself a harder time than I need to on a team that's designed to be easy to use.

To follow-up on the Zygarde suggestion, what about Weakness Policy Zygarde, which has gained momentum in the meta recently? This gives it more oomph and behind screens (or even without them) it should be able to take a non-STAB HP Ice or some other weak SE hit and activate the boosts. Not trying to sound rude or redundant, just trying to help answer your question
Thanks for the tip, it's definitely something I can try. I'll probably try this and LO Serp, as while LO Serp isn't incredibly splashable the downsides in its offence (choosing HP Fire or HP Ground for your Steel coverage) can easily be covered in a team mate.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
A weakness policy set running full hp and speed let's vol 2 hit ok pex with either earth power or earthquake and You can have flame charge to spook off non choice lando as You're hit and grassy terrain is good passive and a way to eat earthquakes

But I think it kind of needs specs if it wants to be a wall breaker and then it's kind of like a slow mix between specs heatran and ash gren at which point makes You kind of ask

Idk I just like to try shit out and saw it ranked likly higher than it should be

You can try the Kommo-o SubsDrum set, it's realy nice in HOs and very easy to setup.
Another mons you can try is Calm Mind Metronome Tapu Lele and Sword Dance Kartana with Metronome or Adrenaline Orb.

HCJB

Banned deucer.
You can try the Kommo-o SubsDrum set, it's realy nice in HOs and very easy to setup.
Another mons you can try is Calm Mind Metronome Tapu Lele and Sword Dance Kartana with Metronome or Adrenaline Orb.
Cheers man. Lele is on the team already, Fightinium-Z as I don't really see as if there's much of a way to wall it early game. Tried SD Timid Kartana already and didn't find it so good as an early game breaker (I know, I know, Timid is going to lack the power of any Jolly/Adamant set, but the bulk with the ability to speed boost I thought was appealing). I have thought about Kommo-o, but just don't find the quaternary Fairy weakness very appealing.

Honestly I think I'll thoroughly test out Serp and see where it gets me. Consider this Q closed.

Why is everyone calling gastro "a cycle mon"? Yea its gonna drop in usage due to people preparing for it but what would actually change for it to be bad? If anything gastro will be better when its not "mainstream" anymore because teams will be less likely to prepare for it

As long as koko, heatran, ash greninja, magearna, latios are common mons i cant really see gastrodon becoming worse anytime soon

Why is everyone calling gastro "a cycle mon"? Yea its gonna drop in usage due to people preparing for it but what would actually change for it to be bad? If anything gastro will be better when its not "mainstream" anymore because teams will be less likely to prepare for it

As long as koko, heatran, ash greninja, magearna, latios are common mons i cant really see gastrodon becoming worse anytime soon
It's a cycle mon as it's very dependant on the meta - we're already starting to see people prepping for it more now that it's more popular by running U-turn Kokos, Bloom Doom Heatrans, Physical Z Move Greninjas etc.

Is there a different sort of teambuilding mind set for low ladder? I try to prepare for threats discussed on the forums and Facebook (Zygarde, Gastrodon, many others), but I usually don't run into the mons and sets I expect. For example, I've seen Gastrodon in OU once since the hype started.

Tl;dr should I prepare different teams for different parts of the ladder? How would I prepare differently?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
For lower ladder, just use cores you know are solid and perhaps those pokemon discussed in VR and on the forums. Odds are you will face weaker opponents using less proven or consistent strategies and pokemon, thus making more proven and clearly viable ones in a generally advantageous spot. Once you climb higher, then I’d apply your mindset and try to think of ways to work well against the metagame norms and trends.

Is there a different sort of teambuilding mind set for low ladder? I try to prepare for threats discussed on the forums and Facebook (Zygarde, Gastrodon, many others), but I usually don't run into the mons and sets I expect. For example, I've seen Gastrodon in OU once since the hype started.

Tl;dr should I prepare different teams for different parts of the ladder? How would I prepare differently?
I know this question has already been answered but I'd like to highlight that Screens HO, and other HO's, are generally good to get out of lowladder fast as many of the players on lowladder are not prepared for the varying different setup sweepers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)