Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Only from Gen V onwards. Team Preview is what lets you know if you are on a bad matchup from the beginning. Before that, you have to guess.
Ok. So from gen 5 and on, all of the metas are really matchup based?

That really sucks. Can anybody explain exactly why it's this way? Less room for counterplays?

Éric

mons is mons
is a Pre-Contributor
Ok. So from gen 5 and on, all of the metas are really matchup based?

That really sucks. Can anybody explain exactly why it's this way? Less room for counterplays?
It’s a consequence of having 800+ Pokémon available, it’s inevitable. And btw the 4 first generations are also matchup-based. It’s just that you cannot know the matchup from the beginning.

And btw unless you face like a counterteam, i think skill (and hax xd) matters a lot more than matchup

Is RMT the best place to post the team I've made and my replay list to garner feedback (not rating, but assistance to improve my team and also my playstyle)?

How did weather-based playstyles such as Sand and Rain become so good? Isn't it like TR where you have a limited number of turns to act before it ends and you have to set it up again?

Katy

Banned deucer.
How did weather-based playstyles such as Sand and Rain become so good? Isn't it like TR where you have a limited number of turns to act before it ends and you have to set it up again?
Hello,

rain and sand both have good setters which have a good standing by themselves already at the OU tier. Meanwhile on the other hand there are good abusers like Excadrill in sand and with sand rush and its ability to set a SD and break things with a strong corkscrew crash it is an amazing abuser. Also Mega Garchomp likes the Sand too as it has its ability in Sand Force which gives it even more power on its ground-stab.

Rain is hella good because of pelipper and its ability to hold the damp rock so u dont have to instantly set rain again as it gets increased to 8 turns instead of only 5. Also multiple pokemon on rain teams profit from the rain in a different way:
  • Tornadus-Therian can hit 100% hurricanes
  • Mega Swampert gets its Speed boosted by x2
  • Ferrothorn doesnt get hit that hard by a fire type move
  • and also Ash Greninja / Kingdra / Manaphy get painful to deal with in rain, when u dont have a true counterplay to them.

Also both these styles are really potent because the only Sun setter which is considered viable at OU is Zard Y and the only somewhat viable Hail setter is Alola-Ninetales. And both these mons don't see a lot of usage lately, especially not the latter in Alola-Ninetales as Veil usage and viability decreased a lot the past months.

Hope it helped. :)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Not related to this tier, but generally knowledgeable people here

2 cases

If I am hit by u turn or they attack then switch to another mon can I still mimic it

If I prevent u turn with eject button and my mimic user comes out, can I still mimic? That one might fail not sure

The issue with Trick Room is that you have no way to extend it and no way to set it outside of manually using Trick Room, which costs a turn on its own. OU has its fair share of viable Sand setters in TTar and Hippowdon - both of whom use Sand Stream and thus don't need to run Sandstorm and dedicate both a move and a turn to setting it - and quite a few Sand abusers like SD Mega Garchomp and Sand Rush Excadrill that become nigh-uncounterable after a turn of setup. On the Rain front, Pelipper provides the perfect combination of things needed to be a legitimately good Rain setter: decent bulk, a passable defensive typing, access to two STABs that both benefit greatly from the rain in Hurricane and Scald/Hydro Pump, access to reliable recovery, access to U-turn, and access to Defog. Pelipper also helps enable a bunch of downright terrifying wallbreakers and sweepers: Mega Swampert is Pelipper's perfect teammate as they beat one-another's checks defensively and offensively and Mega Swampert abuses its good bulk and ludicrous power to tear teams to shreds. Kingdra is a similar case to Mega Swampert but on the Special front, which therefore leaves it with a few more counters. Ferrothorn can abuse the rain to take less damage from Fire stuff that would otherwise give it hell so it can set up hazards or Leech Seed more reliably. Tornadus-T can just spam the shit out of Hurricane with no drawbacks. Manaphy and Ash-Greninja are beefed up further by the 50% boost to their Water STABs, allowing them to break past even more stuff than they normally would (and Manaphy can abuse its ability to be immune to status for eight turns whilst under Rain).

TL;DR: Rain and Sand have abilities that automatically set those corresponding weathers while Trick Room does not, Rain and Sand have means by which you can extend their effects while Trick Room does not, and there are far more, far more consistent abusers of Rain and Sand than there are on Trick Room.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
When it comes to Mega Venusaur's rise in usage, what Did Zygarde do to keep it from rising that Garchomp can't currently do?
Zygarde made Tangrowth very common. You cannot use Tangrowth and Mega Venusaur generally. Therefore, there were less times to make use of Mega Venusaur in a Zygarde metagame. With that said, Mega Venusaur still isn't too common atm.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
To elaborate on Finch's point, Zygarde was so difficult to check that most of the time it was not possible to build a very good team if you used your defensive Grass-type slot on a Grass-type that didn't resist Thousand Arrows or have any other utility (Ferro having hazards), making Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth the premier Grass-types in the tier.

Yes. Also, rating includes providing assistance to improve your team. That's usually the type of feedback you can hope to expect in that forum. Just be sure to read the rules before posting :)
I still don't understand why I can't even make a thread on RMT

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Just asking, I was searching in the OU viability rankings and I could not find Latios or it’s Mega. Is it in Ubers? I always thought it was OU.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Just asking, I was searching in the OU viability rankings and I could not find Latios or it’s Mega. Is it in Ubers? I always thought it was OU.
Latios-Mega is B+ in the OverUsed Viability Rankings, meanwhile regular Latios got unranked as it is irrelevant and offers not even the smallest niche in the current metagame.

Katy

Banned deucer.
What has made Tapu Fini so good nowadays? I remember when it was like the worst Tapu.
It can check Heatran and also counter Ash-greinja and is a useful Defogger and it got a huge usage during the SPL Season 10 and proved to be a consistent and good mon there. It found itself on a lot of USUM Ou teams as a supportive mon resulting into a VR rise as well.

I'm working on a team right now, and struggling to fit stealth rock on it. Would it be a bad idea to put stealth rock on scarf Lando (not the standard one, just a custom one)? It has room for it, but I'm not sure how viable it is to have my only hazard on a choice-locked Pokemon.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
I'm working on a team right now, and struggling to fit stealth rock on it. Would it be a bad idea to put stealth rock on scarf Lando (not the standard one, just a custom one)? It has room for it, but I'm not sure how viable it is to have my only hazard on a choice-locked Pokemon.
It's not ideal but if you have no other option you can do it. It's better to have rocks on scarf Lando than no rocks at all.

Honestly, if you're forced to put Stealth Rock on Choice Scarf Landorus-T, you should consider rebuilding your team. Whether Landorus-T is Choice Scarf or not is usually very obvious on team preview, meaning that if you lock into Stealth Rock, they'll just try to abuse Landorus-T. This issue becomes even more apparent once you actually reveal that your Landorus-T is holding a Choice Scarf by using U-turn against Tornadus-T or something like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)