Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

What about mind reader on prot gren? Breeding right now and afaik mud sport is the best option for my 4th slot.
Mind Read is not useful at all. For useful moves on Greninja, you should check out this analysis. I'm pretty sure that besides Spikes, none of the moves it commonly runs are egg moves so it should be fine to have whatever really.

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
What are the benefits of running Poisonium Z on Toxapex? I've seen it in some RMTs and I'm kind of curious.
While rarer, Z-Toxic hits Mega Gyarados as well as Torn. In addition, on very specific teams, like Aurella ’s Semi-Stall made during last year’s OLT, Z-Gunk Shot lures Fini, Bulu, Serp and the rarer Screens Koko. This does give up on some defensive utility though.

How is scarf Lele in the meta?
Situations when it can be used instead of something like Landorus-Therian or Kartana?
If i use it, team mates outside of a strong counter to volcarona?
Its analysis seems to be pretty out dated :(

Situations when it can be used instead of something like Landorus-Therian or Kartana?
Generally you can use it on magnezone squads or psy-spam teams that want to compress lele's terrain setting and speed control into 1 Slot. It can't really be used in many more ways since scarf lele isn't strong enough to actually significantly wear down steels and therefore relys on them being removed or being worn down by stronger psychics in order for it to clean.
https://pokepast.es/758d2f8763d10ce5
This is a Medi-Lele squad, this core takes decent advantage of scarf lele's unique qualities as it helps to patch up medi's speed and also provides it terrain to turn zen headbutt into a really strong mid ground against the likes of lando t, gliscor etc.

Being able to compress speed control and an offensive Toxapex answer can be beneficial for some balance teams not using a psychic type mega like Alakazam or the Latis

Prior to the banning of Baton Pass, did Zapdos see much play with BP in S/M OU? I know it doesn't have the greatest moves to pass, but it's a good all-around Pokémon.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Prior to the banning of Baton Pass, did Zapdos see much play with BP in S/M OU? I know it doesn't have the greatest moves to pass, but it's a good all-around Pokémon.
Not really. There were more efficient passers like Scolipede that were used instead. Zapdos has to sacrifice a lot more than Scolipede did, so it wasn't used as offen (realistically at all but I'm sure someone used it on the ladder or something).

Since theres a discussion around M-Manectric, I thought I might give my take on it.
I feel there isn’t any reason to de-rank Manectric. I’ve seen it quite a few times on the ladder.
It isn’t a good mon, but it has it’s place.
Here are some usage stats to back it up.
83 | Manectric-Mega | 1.184%

84 | Zeraora | 1.146%

105 | Slowbro-Mega | 0.783%

86 | Gengar | 1.131%

Also, the main argument I’ve seen come up is that it’s outclassed by Koko.
It is slightly true, since Koko hits harder due to terrain, Manectric can be used as a Koko partner.
Under terrain it’s electric attacks are incredibly powerful and can 2HKO pretty much anything that doesn’t resist/isn't immune. I feel like it should stay C-, since it’s better than most C- mons in OU anyways.
I don't know if usage really proves anything. I know this might get deleted but can this site show win rates of mons? Id like to see the win rate of mega-Manectric and the win rate of Zeraora on ladder. Sorry for asking this.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if usage really proves anything. I know this might get deleted but can this site show win rates of mons? Id like to see the win rate of mega-Manectric and the win rate of Zeraora on ladder. Sorry for asking this.
For the record I know this was posted in Viability Rank thread but I think this is still a good question.

The short answer is "no."

The long answer is - you could probably suggest to see if this can be implemented with the stats. I think it would be an interesting idea. I'm not sure where that would be suggested at. I can ask Marty or others if you want.

Why is Ditto, a B rank niche mon thats only starting to pick up popularity, being discussed in policy review as a potential suspect? Am i missing something recently? Winrate is great yes but isnt this a kneejerk reaction to even start discussing it

or is this an attempt to "fix" the current metagame with bandaid solution like we did when we suspected mega sableye instead of dugtrio in oras

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Why is Ditto, a B rank niche mon thats only starting to pick up popularity, being discussed in policy review as a potential suspect? Am i missing something recently? Winrate is great yes but isnt this a kneejerk reaction to even start discussing it

or is this an attempt to "fix" the current metagame with bandaid solution like we did when we suspected mega sableye instead of dugtrio in oras
I can't really speak on behalf of the person who posted it, and from what I've known it hasn't really been discussed in OU councils / moderator chat.

So... you'll have to go for the horse's mouth on this one if I'm being extremely blunt.

hey, i have a question about the vr

so as you know, the ou metagame can be very different depending on where you play it. low ladder is far different from high ladder, and high ladder is different from tournaments. my question is, which of those does the vr reflect? for example, on low ladder, cheese playstyles like rain and stall do a lot better than high ladder, and if the vr is supposed to be a resource for new players, theyll be at low ladder anyway, so it would make sense to me if pert and peli were ranked higher.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!

so as you know, the ou metagame can be very different depending on where you play it. low ladder is far different from high ladder, and high ladder is different from tournaments. my question is, which of those does the vr reflect? for example, on low ladder, cheese playstyles like rain and stall do a lot better than high ladder, and if the vr is supposed to be a resource for new players, theyll be at low ladder anyway, so it would make sense to me if pert and peli were ranked higher.
Tournament Usage >> High Ladder >>>>>>> Low Ladder.

I wouldn't really say the OU VR is necessarily for new players as a whole. Even threads like Speed Tiers are used by experienced players. It's a Resource thread.

The Viability rankings thread really just keeps traffic through the OU forum. I wouldn’t lend it too much credence at any level of play. It gives a good sense of what’s easy to use and what’s not, but as a resource, it is far exceeded by direct experience playing the game within each stratum of the ladder or organized play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)