Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
I haven't played SS in a long time but I was wondering if Mantine had any viability? I remember a team was used with it during the laddering phase of OLT VII (Tricking uses it against Luthier here, if anyone wants to see the team, although that battle doesn't really showcase Mantine much) and it was always annoying to run into then. I get that's over a year ago and it isn't listed on the VR but I was just curious if it has a niche, since it offers good utility (Defog, Toxic, Haze, if that's worth running on it) and can check some prominent threats like Specs Pult, Tran (although Tran with Toxic and Taunt could be a problem), offensive Torn (not sure if that's really run though), Blacephalon, Volcanion (and I guess rain as a whole), and Volcarona. Mantine can also help with Urshifu with enough defensive investment:
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Mantine: 158-186 (42.2 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I know that Mantine probably isn't great, if usable at all, but I think it's an interesting mon and wanted to know if any shifts in the meta (like possibly Kyurem getting banned) has made it any better. I'd imagine it would also need support from something like Aroma Clef as well to give it the best chance at working.

I have the exact same question as Goodbye & Thanks above :smogduck:.

Also, is it possible that Dragapult could be suspected in the future? I know that the main set is specs but it has other funny things like dd and hydro pump for heatran.

Finchinator

Harry's House
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a former Tournament Circuit Champion
OU & NU Leader
Mantine is viable because it has a unique niche of being a hard counter to Volcarona while also compressing some roles (i.e: EQ immunity, soft Heatran check, Haze user, Defogger, and Urshifu-Rapid soft check). It is not something that is very practical, but with the right team, it is absolutely usable.

Dragapult is not currently on the radar. It has received under 1/3rd support for tiering action with both of the most recent tiering surveys and even less (under 1/4th) from qualifier players. We will continue to patrol the metagame, but we are not currently looking to test Dragapult.

What is the Toxic/Protect Melmetal set??
Melmetal @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 216 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake / High Horsepower

20 Speed to outrun Toxapex and other slow Melmetals, HP to maximize leftovers recovery (hp number divisible by 16), max Attack investment to still be a threat, rest in SpDef for more special bulk. Spreads might be different depending on the team, but the set is always this one.
Toxic and protect for crippling foes, scouting choice-locked mons and racking up leftovers recovery. Double Iron Bash is the mandatory stab, while you use a Ground coverage to hit Toxapex and most Steel types that are immune to Toxic. Earthquake is always better but High Horsepower is to be used in Grassy Terrain teams.

Last edited:
Only reason is if you want to sweep teams with SubCM when you have a Toxapex lure. As a breaker and pivot, Urshifu-Rapid is better generally. Specs Keldeo has a limited niche on Rain, but other options tend to be more common there, too.
does magma storm heatran count as Toxapex lure, or is it too common a set now for that to be the case?

airfare

S'GUCCI
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
cm/specs lele, well-played/supported lefties melmetal, gking/slowtwin + any abuser are some super reliable ones

stall has techs to work around a lot of stuff but just for example:
torn-less stall often loses to kart
unaware clef-less stall struggles vs dragon breakers like chomp/ddpult
blissey-less stall loses to blace/pult/volcarona

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
where to ask for tips for team?
If you mean where to find good teams you can check the sample teams thread here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ss-ou-sample-teams-crown-tundra.3672556/ (teams have a breakdown explaining how they work). You can also find different sample teams in the OU room on PS! (by writting /rfaq s in the chatroom).

If you want advices to improve a team you have built you can either make a post in the RMT section (here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/ss-ou-teams.545/, but be sure to read the rules) or ask in the trainer academy room on PS!

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)