Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Am I the only person that's really bothered by strength sap atm? I feel like it is so brainless to just mash it on jellicent and corsola because no matter what it hits they get nearly full every time - or just a full recover on a phys mon that just leaves you at massive disadvantage
I think this, and Corsola's strength generally, are symptoms of the wider problem of there being almost no good special attackers in this meta.

Is there some sort of detailed guide somewhere as to what items work/don't work in Dynamax? Is it just Choice items because their stuck-on-a-move downside is ignored by Dynamax moves?

What I'm most curious about is:
Leftovers and Life Orb (HP boost/recoil of 1/16 of pre or post-Dynamax?)
Rocky Helmet HP damage
Power boosts (30% Life Orb/20% plates/10% Muscle Band)

Thanks.

NG Spencer

Banned deucer.
Is there some sort of detailed guide somewhere as to what items work/don't work in Dynamax? Is it just Choice items because their stuck-on-a-move downside is ignored by Dynamax moves?

What I'm most curious about is:
Leftovers and Life Orb (HP boost/recoil of 1/16 of pre or post-Dynamax?)
Rocky Helmet HP damage
Power boosts (30% Life Orb/20% plates/10% Muscle Band)

Thanks.
life orb still gives the 30% boost at the cost of 10% of total HP. The HP lost from orb and gained from leftovers works the same, it is x% of total HP in both dynamax and regular form so say you got 20 hp from lefties normally and get 40 while dynamaxed because of the HP buff, when converted back to normal it would show that you only got the 20 hp as you are no longer in dynamax. cant confirm for helmet or plates tho sorry

Empress

33% coffee, 33% alcohol, 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Given how many people (including good tournament players) seem to think that Dynamax sucks, why did the council decide on a suspect instead of a quickban?

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Given how many people (including good tournament players) seem to think that Dynamax sucks, why did the council decide on a suspect instead of a quickban?
Lower tiers tend to follow OU if we do a ban that's not a pokemon ban. Baton Pass and Shadow Tag would be examples of this. Now this time, we have the core mechanic of gen 8 that's being considered. It might be a little too much to let the OU council to single handedly ban the core mechanic from OU through PU, and a suspect test technically gives the community itself the option to determine that rather than 7 individuals. While the number of pro-ban individuals is high, a suspect test is fair to handle something as controversial as banning a core mechanic.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
idk who unbanned moody but I want whatever they were on when that decision was made
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1021123024
Hi, that was me.

Moody was unbanned because its most problematic part, the Evasion boosting, was removed from the ability (which also made it break the Evasion Clause). This is not set in stone so if Moody ends up being broken on its own merits without Evasion boosting it's entirely possible to revisit it.

Two quick questions
1. Would you personally run an attack invested runerigus with earthquake, or like a bold one with night shade and putting that attack investment into hp, and would body press be worth it for a move slot if I am attack invested.
2. Defoggers seem far and few between, and with this suspect test going the way it is do you think that hazards are going to go on a super high trajectory usage wise?

Showdown's description of Lagging Tail states that the "holder moves last in its priority bracket". Will Grimmsnarl still be able to priority Trick this onto non-Dark types?

Showdown's description of Lagging Tail states that the "holder moves last in its priority bracket". Will Grimmsnarl still be able to priority Trick this onto non-Dark types?
It should be able to? It'd just go after any other +1 priority move I imagine, but before any non-priority move.

1. Would you personally run an attack invested runerigus with earthquake, or like a bold one with night shade and putting that attack investment into hp, and would body press be worth it for a move slot if I am attack invested.
Earthquake is a naturally strong attack, especially with STAB, and Runerigus has a naturally decent Attack stat. A purely defensive Impish Runerigus with Earthquake could potentially function. It does have some drawbacks, most notably being unable to damage Flying and Levitating Pokemon, but it's generally stronger than Night Shade, especially against Pokemon that are frailer and/or weak to Ground. Even if an Earthquake target forces Runerigus out, it still gives you an option to punish them for switching in that's more reliable than Will-O-Wisp.

Hey guys, I'm curious what people are using to try to check Galarian Darmanitan. I have a team I'm pretty happy with right now that I would like to use to get reqs for the suspect, but I keep getting my teeth kicked in by this thing. I find myself usually choosing between one of two options:

1. Having to pick a mon to sack, then hoping to revenge kill it with my own Darm or Dragapult or;
2. Dynamaxing one of the above mons or my Life Orb Clef to live a hit and revenge kill it.

These both seem like inconsistent options to me, but I'm struggling to find a mon or core that can deal with its amazing strength and coverage. Interested to hear y'all's thoughts!

Hey guys, I'm curious what people are using to try to check Galarian Darmanitan. I have a team I'm pretty happy with right now that I would like to use to get reqs for the suspect, but I keep getting my teeth kicked in by this thing. I find myself usually choosing between one of two options:

1. Having to pick a mon to sack, then hoping to revenge kill it with my own Darm or Dragapult or;
2. Dynamaxing one of the above mons or my Life Orb Clef to live a hit and revenge kill it.

These both seem like inconsistent options to me, but I'm struggling to find a mon or core that can deal with its amazing strength and coverage. Interested to hear y'all's thoughts!
I personally have few problems with Darm because I have a Mach Punch Conkeldurr on my current team. It’s a Trick Room team, by the way, so that needs to be taken into consideration here. However, Darm is a pain in the late game after I lose Conk. Nevertheless, I really do like using Conk to check the gorilla.

This is technically for ingame, but which nature is better on Polteageist for its Shell Smash set: Timid or Modest? Are there any specific speed cutoffs or KOs it gets in Ubers or OU from either?

Earthquake is a naturally strong attack, especially with STAB, and Runerigus has a naturally decent Attack stat. A purely defensive Impish Runerigus with Earthquake could potentially function. It does have some drawbacks, most notably being unable to damage Flying and Levitating Pokemon, but it's generally stronger than Night Shade, especially against Pokemon that are frailer and/or weak to Ground. Even if an Earthquake target forces Runerigus out, it still gives you an option to punish them for switching in that's more reliable than Will-O-Wisp.
This Quite to the point and very insightful, thank you for your time, I hope you have a good day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)