Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I know that They changed it so that speed calculations are redone between moves, but does this apply to trickroom aswell?

IE if Whimsicott uses prankster trick room, will the slowest pokemon go next ala tailwind, or is trickroom different thus meaning that the fastest pokemon goes next?

I know that They changed it so that speed calculations are redone between moves, but does this apply to trickroom aswell?

IE if Whimsicott uses prankster trick room, will the slowest pokemon go next ala tailwind, or is trickroom different thus meaning that the fastest pokemon goes next?
Trick Room specifically is different because it is a -7 Priority move. Therefore, Prankster "boosts" it to -6. It will still be the last move used on the field in pretty much every scenario. I dunno if that fully answers your question, but the situation in which your question applies is extremely unlikely.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Trick Room specifically is different because it is a -7 Priority move. Therefore, Prankster "boosts" it to -6. It will still be the last move used on the field in pretty much every scenario. I dunno if that fully answers your question, but the situation in which your question applies is extremely unlikely.
I suppose one way to test this would be in a doubles battle where all 4 pokemon (each with differing speeds) use trick room in the same turn, but that is irrelevant for OU SQSA.

Not sure if anyone can answer this one, but as time passes and the meta settles are the Smogon movesets going to eventually return to the old format that had a deeper breakdown of the mon including moves, set details, usage tips, team options, other options, and especially, checks and counters? I know the game hasn't been out long, but I really miss those in depth write ups that were really informative and a good way to get an idea of the meta and an even better way to learn everything about specific mons in the meta. Right now they movesets/strategies are a little thin and lacking, but I didn't know if that was simply because the game was still new and they would be revised/added to once time passes or if the write ups would stay as there are until the meta changes.

Not sure if anyone can answer this one, but as time passes and the meta settles are the Smogon movesets going to eventually return to the old format that had a deeper breakdown of the mon including moves, set details, usage tips, team options, other options, and especially, checks and counters? I know the game hasn't been out long, but I really miss those in depth write ups that were really informative and a good way to get an idea of the meta and an even better way to learn everything about specific mons in the meta. Right now they movesets/strategies are a little thin and lacking, but I didn't know if that was simply because the game was still new and they would be revised/added to once time passes or if the write ups would stay as there are until the meta changes.
We are currently working on it.

Now that they are both OU, who’s better Clefable or Sylveon?
They perform different roles. Clefable typically runs an offensive set in SS, while sylveon can only run a defensive wish set. Clefable can also run a wish set and pass wishes of the same size, but sylveon's niche is that it's much bulkier on the special side, and it can bypass substitutes with hyper voice. This makes it a better check to hydreigon and dragapult, two powerful special attackers that commonly run sub. Unless you're using your fairy specifically to handle these dragons and other special attackers, clefable's magic guard and movepool make it the better choice.

They perform different roles. Clefable typically runs an offensive set in SS, while sylveon can only run a defensive wish set. Clefable can also run a wish set and pass wishes of the same size, but sylveon's niche is that it's much bulkier on the special side, and it can bypass substitutes with hyper voice. This makes it a better check to hydreigon and dragapult, two powerful special attackers that commonly run sub. Unless you're using your fairy specifically to handle these dragons and other special attackers, clefable's magic guard and movepool make it the better choice.
Clefable doesn't typically run LO anymore, it's often spdef now.

How do I get my offensive Pokémon in safely? Making use of levitate, ghost typing is easy on good reads but for Pokémon that don't have these advantages what should I do? I feel like switching in on resisted hits is less than optimal as breakers/sweepers can sometimes be quite frail and it shortens their shelf life significantly.

How do I get my offensive Pokémon in safely? Making use of levitate, ghost typing is easy on good reads but for Pokémon that don't have these advantages what should I do? I feel like switching in on resisted hits is less than optimal as breakers/sweepers can sometimes be quite frail and it shortens their shelf life significantly.
I think that a question like this is too general to give a good answer to, but in general, frail wallbreakers are often backed up by support from pivots to create safe opportunities for them to switch into play.

I think that a question like this is too general to give a good answer to, but in general, frail wallbreakers are often backed up by support from pivots to create safe opportunities for them to switch into play.
My bad, I didn't mean to be too general (I know that's not the point of this thread). Is it just a matter of pairing them up with a pivot(s) with good synergy or that draws in Pokémon they like to set up on?

My bad, I didn't mean to be too general (I know that's not the point of this thread). Is it just a matter of pairing them up with a pivot(s) with good synergy or that draws in Pokémon they like to set up on?
I think that simplifies it a bit, but that's generally the case yeah. For example, if you want to use a Pokemon like Aegislash, you can use a pivot such as Choice Scarf Hydreigon. Choice Scarf Hydreigon will often be able to bait in Fairy-types, so it's perfect for positioning Aegislash.

Where can we speculate about the massive changes the new Pokemon are going to provide for the metagame? That and the massive threat that is Galarian Slowpoke, releasing today.

Where can we speculate about the massive changes the new Pokemon are going to provide for the metagame? That and the massive threat that is Galarian Slowpoke, releasing today.
This is not the subforum where any theorymonning or competitive speculation will take place. I don't know where it will, but it won't be here. Galarian Slowpoke, Slowbro, and Slowking will be available today so you'll be allowed to discuss them once they're available on PS.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
This is not the subforum where any theorymonning or competitive speculation will take place. I don't know where it will, but it won't be here. Galarian Slowpoke, Slowbro, and Slowking will be available today so you'll be allowed to discuss them once they're available on PS.
Only Galarian Slowpoke for today actually. You need an item to evolve it into Slowbro or Slowking, which will be released with the Isle of Armor (June) and Crown Tundra (Autumn) expansions respectively.

Only Galarian Slowpoke for today actually. You need an item to evolve it into Slowbro or Slowking, which will be released with the Isle of Armor (June) and Crown Tundra (Autumn) expansions respectively.
My bad, I didn't look into it at all so I had just assumed you could evolve it immediately. I doubt Galarian Slowpoke will have literally any effect on the current metagame, but the point still stands. You can discuss it when it's available on PS.

For the upcoming tournament do line-ups have to be set/submitted or could you conceivably use a different team every match? I know there is mention of discussing teams in the cheating section of the tournament rules but I guess it becomes harder and harder to have a "surprise team" the longer the tournament goes.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
For the upcoming tournament do line-ups have to be set/submitted or could you conceivably use a different team every match? I know there is mention of discussing teams in the cheating section of the tournament rules but I guess it becomes harder and harder to have a "surprise team" the longer the tournament goes.
You can use as many teams as you'd like. One team for the whole tour? Inadvisable but sure. A new team every game you play? Sure, it's what most people do. If you want to reuse teams in later rounds that's fine too. It's entirely up to you.

My apologies if this has been asked somewhere already, but is there a quick and easy way to view what the base power of moves like heat crash or heavy slam would be?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)