Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Okay so I wanted to try to test out Grass Offence that was discussed quite a lot post Cinder/Magearna ban. I went with SD Kart and Rillaboom and paired them with Magnezone to remove Skarm/Corvi/Scizor etc. Now, i am looking for some solid glue mons that can also help with weaknesses of the core. Also, I am not sure about Kart being SD and especially if Zone should be Specs or Iron def for Ferro. Any help would be appreciated.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Okay so I wanted to try to test out Grass Offence that was discussed quite a lot post Cinder/Magearna ban. I went with SD Kart and Rillaboom and paired them with Magnezone to remove Skarm/Corvi/Scizor etc. Now, i am looking for some solid glue mons that can also help with weaknesses of the core. Also, I am not sure about Kart being SD and especially if Zone should be Specs or Iron def for Ferro. Any help would be appreciated.
Zone likely needs IDef. You should add a Stealth Rock setter and Electric immunity for sure.

From there, work through defensive holes with your remainder.

I too have been messing about with grass spam + zone since the ban and it has been treating me wonderfully. I've been running SD Boom with Choiced Kart (been trying both Band and Scarf, depending on my defensive core, they both work well) and Specs Mag. I haven't had issues with Ferro since I've been running fighting coverage on my Grasses.

As for defensive core, I've had great success with Blissey + Phys Def Pex + Flying type (Torn, Lando, Zap have all been great). Granted I'm not that high elo anymore (been a while since I've hit high 1900...), it's been treating me rather well in the 1500-1700 region. You can't cover EVERYTHING but this does a decent job of checking a chunk of the meta,

If anyone has any other input to share I'd be happy to hear, having a lot of fun with this type of team since the bans!

What have others been using to prep against sd chomp right now? It's been such a pain for me when building, just looking for some more ways to keep it in check that I might be missing
I had a dream last night that the move Scale Shot got suspect tested because it was such a pain to deal with (Garchomp runs it with SD so it can pretend it gets Dragon Dance). I don't think there's any super good users other than Chomp right now, and the move isn't even that broken even with the speed boost since multi-hit moves are inconsistent, but whatever. All my dreams are things that could technically happen IRL but never actually would (e.g. Goku being put in Smash Bros). Anyway, take advantage of the lowered defense with some physical priority, since the speed boost won't matter if you do that. I shouldn't have to tell you who the number one priority abuser is right now.
Maybe if SD Scale Shot Chomp becomes a big threat, people will start running tons of priority users to counter it. Then maybe it'll start running Substitute to get past that... interesting thing to ponder.

A good generic Dragapult check? Between its Specs sets, DD sets and Status-Hex sets it is very hard to keep it in check. I was thinking on Clef but I think it won't suit the build i wanted to.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Looking for thoughts on galrian zapdos as a choice scarfer?
If you need Speed Control on your team then Scarf G-Zapdos can work, it has by any means not a bad attack stat so it can definitely work on a build where Speed Control is admired. It has moreover U-turn to create momentum, so it isn't the worst Choice Scarfer. It can also punish choice locked-Defoggers such as Landorus-Therian with getting a boost with its ability Defiant, so it is enabled to hit much harder. So checking it is harder. So I would say it isn't the worst Pokemon to carry a Scarf.

A possible Set could be:
Zapdos-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Throat Chop
- U-turn

Hi everyone! I've seen Corviknight run with Pressure all the time instead of Mirror Armor. I initially thought it was because MA was banned or something but a quick validation on Showdown proved me otherwise. Being able to passively rebound stat alterations seems very good at first glance so is there a reason Pressure is favored?

Hi everyone! I've seen Corviknight run with Pressure all the time instead of Mirror Armor. I initially thought it was because MA was banned or something but a quick validation on Showdown proved me otherwise. Being able to passively rebound stat alterations seems very good at first glance so is there a reason Pressure is favored?
Pressure is favored because it gives Corviknight the ability to PP stall Stealth Rock; a trait that is very valuable for a Defogger. It's also better for Substitute + Bulk Up sets because the ability to PP stall Toxapex's Hazes or Zapdos's Discharges is what ultimately enables Corviknight to win games. Besides that, there's not a lot of stat drops you're realistically deflecting.

Also, the teambuilder recommends a spread of 248 hp / 208+ def / 52 spe for bulky Volcarona. Is this better than the standard 248 / 8 / 252+ spread, or does each have its own use?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Also, the teambuilder recommends a spread of 248 hp / 208+ def / 52 spe for bulky Volcarona. Is this better than the standard 248 / 8 / 252+ spread, or does each have its own use?
Depends on the team. If you care about maximizing bulk, go with the former. If you care about maximizing speed, go with the latter. You can see what you are covering with the speed here.

Why is Darmanitan almost never used outside of Sun teams? It shares many similarities with his broken Galarian form. Its Flare Blitz hits harder than
G-Darm's Icicle Crash and it has the same speed, eq, u-turn etc. It can also more viably run HDB i guess. Is the typing difference or power what makes regular Darmanitan non-standard?

Why is Darmanitan almost never used outside of Sun teams? It shares many similarities with his broken Galarian form. Its Flare Blitz hits harder than
G-Darm's Icicle Crash and it has the same speed, eq, u-turn etc. It can also more viably run HDB i guess. Is the typing difference or power what makes regular Darmanitan non-standard?
It's a high maintenance mon, thats the main reasons and other breaker are easier to fit

I have been struggling to break stall right now when i ladder, could someone please reocmmend the best ou stall killers especially ones that beat unaware clef, thank you.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Darmanitan gets whittled down quite easily with so many hazard setters in the metagame, especially hazard stack make it difficult for it when it runs a Choice Band set. A set with HDB can work, but outside of sun, Darmanitan has no value over other Fire-types, which have either a worthy Dual-typing which helps them out or defensive assets or offensive tools to get past threats in a more comfy way. Also its Speed tier leaves it vulnerable to a lot of faster threats, among those are Dragapult, scarfed-Landorus-T, Tornadus-T, Zeraora, Tapu Koko, and plenty ore.

Darmanitan can wreck havoc the best in sun based teams and is outside of that pretty limited as there are better options for other roles it might want to fullfill.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)