Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

what are optimal spreads for 'demon mew' (cosmic / stored power / body press / roost)?
A Pokemon I haven't used since the Home meta :psycry:

I've seen multiple variants of it. The one currently listed on the Matchmaking thread looks like this:

:ss/(Mew):
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Body Press
- Roost

But I've also seen variants that run a good chunk of defensive investment with a little speed. (I can't for the life of me remember why though, I checked the speed tiers and those variants don't seem to hit any notable benchmarks. Maybe the Defense EVs secure a 2HKO on Heatran at +1 or something?)

Honestly, this Mew is pretty malleable and you can experiment with it to see which EV spreads suit your purposes best, but if you don't have any set goals in mind, 252/4/252+ should serve you well.

i know dynamax is toxic for many reasons, but have you ever considered testing gigamax to see if it's okay ?
maybe not all, but most of these mons are really weak to begin with, so with that and the fact that it would be much less unpredictable, i'm starting to become a little curious about it, what about you ?

i know dynamax is toxic for many reasons, but have you ever considered testing gigamax to see if it's okay ?
maybe not all, but most of these mons are really weak to begin with, so with that and the fact that it would be much less unpredictable, i'm starting to become a little curious about it, what about you ?
This is roughly the same thing like normal Dynamax and will be seen like complex, even with Gigantamax mons having some of the stat buffs removed depending on the move get changes, others will still be able to use those said moves that impacted the metagame, and also its still dynamaxing so all the game changers with Giganatamaxing will be seen. This is also one of those cases doing this will be sort of a complex banned thats the reason Gigantamax got banned altogether with Dynmax same concept but different tactics for some mons, so it's better to keep them both banned.

agslash23

Banned deucer.
Who are the best Knock-off absorbers in the meta right now?

Some that I can think of are Clefable, Buzzwole, Corviknight. Any mon I am missing?

What speed tiers are common on def oriented lando-t at the moment?
Modest Heatran 253 (144 EVs to outspeed)
Adamant Bisharp 239 (88 EVs to outspeed, but ppl like to creep that by 1 extra point so they usually go 92)
Modest Magnezone 219 (8 EVs to outspeed)
The 220s is a very crowded speed tier for defensive Pokémon, for example Heatran, so you may want to spare a few extra points to creep them.
I'm not aware of other specific benchmarks, but hoped this helped a little

Abhi

Professional Zoomer
is an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Katy

Banned deucer.
If normal animated sprites are typed as :ss/(Pokemon):, how do you do back sprites?
Since there is no Backsprite-Command for Smogon in this case, you have to search in the internet from webpages related to Pokemon to get backsprites with the command of: [ IMG]ImageLink [/IMG] (without the spaces)

Or borrow them with these two links:
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/ani/
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/ani-shiny/
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/ani-back/

That is the only way i know how to make them work in a post. But backsprites are in general very rarely used in posts so there is no direct command for it unlike frontsprites, which do have such commands.

S/O Abhi and ViZar for helping me answering that question for you. The best way btw with such more detailed questions is to post it here instead, as there is a more widespread amount of users with different expertize to get you an appropiate answer: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-simple-questions-suggestions-thread.3582200/

hope this helped! :)

I've been losing against hawlucha quite a bit. My own faults, not my team (or at least my team's weaknesses are being worsened by my lack of skill vs it). What are the best counterplays to it and how to play around it when it's on the field? Most of the time, it hits SD on the first turn, and I don't know if switching or staying is the best option. Sorry if this question isn't simple haha

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I've been losing against hawlucha quite a bit. My own faults, not my team (or at least my team's weaknesses are being worsened by my lack of skill vs it). What are the best counterplays to it and how to play around it when it's on the field? Most of the time, it hits SD on the first turn, and I don't know if switching or staying is the best option. Sorry if this question isn't simple haha
Zapdos, Moonblast Tapu Fini, Clefable, Tapu Koko, Pelipper, and Aegislash are all good options against it. Priority and offensive pressure to limit its openings and sweeping potential can also go a long way.

If you are using a more offensive team, it gets tougher and you will oftentimes have to force trades to revenge kill it.

Zapdos, Moonblast Tapu Fini, Clefable, Tapu Koko, Pelipper, and Aegislash are all good options against it. Priority and offensive pressure to limit its openings and sweeping potential can also go a long way.

If you are using a more offensive team, it gets tougher and you will oftentimes have to force trades to revenge kill it.
Would max atk rillaboom be able to kill any variants with grassy glide?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Would max atk rillaboom be able to kill any variants with grassy glide?
If it was chipped significantly, yes.

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Grassy Seed Hawlucha in Grassy Terrain: 101-119 (34 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

This assumes you are banded and Hawlucha lacks bulk, but non-CB is viable and Hawlucha oftentimes runs HP, so you will need a lot of damage prior.

It clicks Shell Smash and then has a chance of flinching anything standing in the way of it sweeping, which can be an effective strategy in the metagame.
Right, but that's been a thing we knew it could do forever. What happened last month that made this strategy so much more popular? Was it just that PR thread?

Katy

Banned deucer.
What is the best screen setter in the current meta?
:tapu Koko: is imho one of the best dual screen setters in the current metagame, it has U-turn so it wont get blocked by ground-types such as landorus-t and garchomp and moreover it has taunt to disrupt possible defog attempts on its daul screens it set up prior.

:grimmsnarl: is imho the 2nd best dual screener in the metagame, with having prankster and a great typing against dragapult so it can fend off the tiers most dangerous special breaker due to it with resisting shadow ball and an immunity towards draco meteor. it also has thunder wave and spirit break to support its teammates further.

closely after that is :ninetales-alola: with a 2 in 1 combination due to hail + veil, it also possesses a great speed tier with 109 meaning that it can outspeed most of the metagame, however it has to be careful with attempts to shut down its hail with opposing weather setters like tyranitar, hippowdon, pelipper, and torkoal. however in pelippers case pelipper itself has to be really catious because of freeze-dry coming at its way.

in overall i would suggest tapu koko, or grimmsnarl as they are the 'easiest' dual screen setters to use right now. alola ninetales isnt bad either but can find itself in a bit of a troubling situations occosionally.

hopefully that helped :)

Abhi

Professional Zoomer
is an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What differs CM Suicune from CM Tapu Fini? What I'm saying is, if cm fini exist why do people use cm suicune? Is there a specific pokemon that Suicune checks?
Well Cm Suicune has the advantage of pp stalling with pressure, sub and tect on its side which gives it a p good niche, and there isnt rlly a specific pokemon it checks, its mainly used for the pp stalling like i said.
cm fini is just better rn because it gets a lot more opportunities to switch in and also being able to check some key threats in the meta can come in handy when building around it

Katy

Banned deucer.
What differs CM Suicune from CM Tapu Fini? What I'm saying is, if cm fini exist why do people use cm suicune? Is there a specific pokemon that Suicune checks?
Calm Mind Tapu Fini has Draining Kiss and moreover the secondary typing which lets it fend off more Pokemon such as the omnipresent Dragapult and lets it better bypass threats such as Hydreigon, Kyurem, and Dragonite. CM Tapu Fini is just better in the current metagame taking advantage of Weaviles presence, Dragonite, and Hydreigon. It also can take advantage of Pokemon such as Mandibuzz, Swampert, and Urshifu-R.

What differs it from Suicune is its better longevity due to Draining Kiss healing back HP, Suicune however has pressure to stall out Pokemon such as Blissey and Slowking better. However, it isnt seen anymore - at least it is not common enough anymore - to be a metagame staple. The main Pokemon which partner well with it are Rillaboom / Tapu Bulu which helps it bypass Gastrodon as example, which Suicune has trouble which, both of them can give it support with Grassy Terrain to negate some damage it took alongside its Leftovers.

In overall CM Tapu Fini is just better at the moment as it can bypass troublesome Pokemon and can take advantage of metagame staples much better than Suicune does currently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)