Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
Sorry if this has been asked before but how are you guys dealing with hail teams rn? Arctozolt seems to be beating my ass and the only thing I can think of for beating it defensively is press zone or mix tank ferro. Is there anything else I should look into?
melmetal and gastrodon are two of the best options, altho both get 2hkod if the other player has the right move (low kick and freeze dry respectively).

Katy

Banned deucer.
What EV spread and filler moves are used on the Assault Vest + Mirror Coat Magnezone set that's meant to trap Heatran?
I would say 252 HP, 4 Def, and 252 SpD so it could come in on some rounds of Stealth Rock and also on a round of Stealth Rocks + 2 Layers of Spikes so it doesnt get OHKOed by Earth Power from offensive Heatran.

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Mirror Coat
- Body Press
- Flash Cannon

something like this, where Flash Cannon is a great filler for Clefable, and to hit incoming Landorus, Garchomp, and other Ground-Types such as Hippowdon for some damage, it also hits Tapu Lele which is thriving in usage recently.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Sorry if this has been asked before but how are you guys dealing with hail teams rn? Arctozolt seems to be beating my ass and the only thing I can think of for beating it defensively is press zone or mix tank ferro. Is there anything else I should look into?
Melmetal, Magnezone, and Gastrodon can deal well with hail teams, so does Victini vs Alola Ninetales as example. Heatran can also help with dealing with them. Ferrothorn can tank hits very well too and Scizor as well. Ferrothorn has semi-recovery and Scizor has Roost so both can come in a decent amount of times and threaten these Pokemon back. Slowking galar can deal with Ninetales as well.
Faster threats such as Choice Scarf Tapu Lele can also threaten it back

Hopefully this helped :)

Slip

dancing to alarm bells
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
melmetal and gastrodon are two of the best options, altho both get 2hkod if the other player has the right move (low kick and freeze dry respectively).
Melmetal should probably be something I look into more, mon is wild lol.

Melmetal, Magnezone, and Gastrodon can deal well with hail teams, so does Victini vs Alola Ninetales as example. Heatran can also help with dealing with them. Ferrothorn can tank hits very well too and Scizor as well. Ferrothorn has semi-recovery and Scizor has Roost so both can come in a decent amount of times and threaten these Pokemon back. Slowking galar can deal with Ninetales as well.
Faster threats such as Choice Scarf Tapu Lele can also threaten it back

Very helpful! Definitely some ideas I wouldn't have looked too deep into that'll help me adapt. Time to go boot up the old teambuilder lol

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
I've been experimenting with Volcarona a bit and something kept bothering me. What exactly makes bulky Volcarona a good win condition and is it necessarily better than offensive Volcarona? I mean, both sets are still perpetually walled by Heatran but bulky ones is completely walled by Garchomp as well, which is not a good thing but also turn the tables against Blissey with safeguard. The blob isn't a common sight these days though. Offensive ones has option in bug buzz but greatly struggles against its nemesis in Urshifu. On the other hand, you can ev Volcarona to take precisely ninety nine percent from banded aqua jets and can fire back with psychic. Am I missing something about bulky Volcarona or is this simply just a playstyle preference?

Also, this is in the role as a late game sweeper so if bulky Volcarona can be used to take hits, don't count that since that's not what I'm looking for

Katy

Banned deucer.
walled by Garchomp as well,
You can drop Safeguard for Psychic / Bug Buzz if you already have a way of dealing with Blissey for Volcarona. However, as you said Blissey isn't that common nowdays I do think Safeguard isn't a necessary 4th slot anymore and exchangeable for eitehr coverage or the 2nd STAB move.

Am I missing something about bulky Volcarona or is this simply just a playstyle preference?
It can be played on bulky offensive builds, but Volcarona recently altogether dropped a lot in usage as the metagame trended alot towards specially defensive Pokemon options such as Landorus-T, Galar Slowking, and Dragonite is also on a thrive, among this are faster, more initial dangerous threats such as Blacephalon, Volcanion, and Victini as Fire-type options, which can immediately pressure a lot of common Pokemon with their hard hitting STABs and great coverage options.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
You can drop Safeguard for Psychic / Bug Buzz if you already have a way of dealing with Blissey for Volcarona. However, as you said Blissey isn't that common nowdays I do think Safeguard isn't a necessary 4th slot anymore and exchangeable for eitehr coverage or the 2nd STAB move.

It can be played on bulky offensive builds, but Volcarona recently altogether dropped a lot in usage as the metagame trended alot towards specially defensive Pokemon options such as Landorus-T, Galar Slowking, and Dragonite is also on a thrive, among this are faster, more initial dangerous threats such as Blacephalon, Volcanion, and Victini as Fire-type options, which can immediately pressure a lot of common Pokemon with their hard hitting STABs and great coverage options.

It did help a bit. Thanks. But it didn't really answer the original questions of what makes it a good wincon in the first place and if it is necessarily better than offensive variants

Yeah Volcarona did drop but I'm trying to experiment with something and I wanna use a different setup sweeper in conjunction with those hard hitting wall breakers

Katy

Banned deucer.
what makes it a good wincon in the first place
Its not a great wincon anymore on a lot of teams, but it can serve as one against specific matchups you face. However, Volcarona declined recently, as it struggles with what coverage option it should chose, when it does not run Safeguard, therefore it can't hit everything and misses out on some threatening Pokemon which otherwise would be claimed with the offensive Volcarona set.

I personally would try and build with different Pokemon at the moment, as Volcarona has it even tough with AV Tornadus-T thriving in usage on Hail and non-Hail teams. I think better setup sweeper and wallbreakers are the aforementioned Fire-types and also Pokemon like Calm Mind Fini, SD Weavile, Nasty Plot Tornadus-T, Choice Specs Kyurem / Dragapult.

Volcarona just has a very tough standing in the metagame in a general point of view and it's hard to make it work at the moment with too many special walls roadblocking it.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Its not a great wincon anymore on a lot of teams, but it can serve as one against specific matchups you face. However, Volcarona declined recently, as it struggles with what coverage option it should chose, when it does not run Safeguard, therefore it can't hit everything and misses out on some threatening Pokemon which otherwise would be claimed with the offensive Volcarona set.

I personally would try and build with different Pokemon at the moment, as Volcarona has it even tough with AV Tornadus-T thriving in usage on Hail and non-Hail teams. I think better setup sweeper and wallbreakers are the aforementioned Fire-types and also Pokemon like Calm Mind Fini, SD Weavile, Nasty Plot Tornadus-T, Choice Specs Kyurem / Dragapult.

Volcarona just has a very tough standing in the metagame in a general point of view and it's hard to make it work at the moment with too many special walls roadblocking it.
I was thinking about using it with nevermeltice Kyurem who can get rid of nearly all of Volcarona's roadblocks but yeah, you're probably right. This thing has too many issues at the moment. Thanks

Katy

Banned deucer.
I was thinking about using it with nevermeltice Kyurem who can get rid of nearly all of Volcarona's roadblocks but yeah, you're probably right. This thing has too many issues at the moment. Thanks
This can work to break down threats such as Heatran for Volcarona, but you need good Entry Hazard-removal support, as Never Melt Ice Kyurem lacks the Heavy-Duty Boots to switch constantly into it.

This one one part question, one part a call for help lol.

So, I fairly regularly stall out mid-ladder (think my peak in the past was like mid 1700s), but the peak is never the issue so far. I lose so many games on low to mid ladder and I am bewildered as to what I should do differently. I don’t even do what I used to do and assume they’ll make the right play, I play the player now etc.

It’s a combination of

a) my ungodly bad luck (look I know people say this, but like, I just had an 11 turn freeze game and regularly miss 3 90-95% accurate moves in a row, so yeah that’s Pokémon, but cut me some slack too lol and trust me when I say it’s abysmal)

b) I keep losing to random not even close to meta sets (not like low ladder volt tackle pikachu stuff, but stuff that’s technically usable but never used). The combination of these super off meta sets combined with my awful luck means people hax through my checks and wincons, and I end up baffled as to what I could do differently.

Some examples (and seriously, I encounter this kinda stuff way more often than I should lol, like a daily basis):

-Bulk up power trip corviknight
-screens koko with wild charge (probably shouldn’t have stayed in against screens koko with corv, but like, they always run the same 4 moves except against me apparently lol)
-agility Zapdos galar (cool set ngl, but like, any team only has like 1 zapdos check lol, so I played according to what I expected and then it just mowed through everything on like turn 2)
-and this one is just the ultimate example of... so what am I doing wrong here, what can I do lol...switched my Buzzwole into a THROAT SPRAY BOOMBURST ACROBATICS RILLABOOM.

Those are just a couple examples, but I really don’t know how to get out of the harder than higher ladder mid ladder when these unorthodox sets and my godawful luck make it so that all my stuff gets overwhelmed lol. Please give some advice if you have any, I’m tired of being stuck in the middle because of stuff like this (and I won’t act like it is absolutely also not in part because I am not good, but like it’s the combination of it all that makes it feel impossible for me)

I’m not salty, I just want to get better, but I’m just at a loss

edit: adding another one, loaded up a random shedinja stall team and lost my shedinja to a specs magnezone with toxic

edit2: sash pickpocket weavile stole my kartana’s choice scarf

(I know running nonstandard sets is a thing, but it’s hard for me to progress when everything is a nonstandard set that destroys me lol)

Last edited:
This one one part question, one part a call for help lol.

So, I fairly regularly stall out mid-ladder (think my peak in the past was like mid 1700s), but the peak is never the issue so far. I lose so many games on low to mid ladder and I am bewildered as to what I should do differently. I don’t even do what I used to do and assume they’ll make the right play, I play the player now etc.

It’s a combination of

a) my ungodly bad luck (look I know people say this, but like, I just had an 11 turn freeze game and regularly miss 3 90-95% accurate moves in a row, so yeah that’s Pokémon, but cut me some slack too lol and trust me when I say it’s abysmal)

b) I keep losing to random not even close to meta sets (not like low ladder volt tackle pikachu stuff, but stuff that’s technically usable but never used). The combination of these super off meta sets combined with my awful luck means people hax through my checks and wincons, and I end up baffled as to what I could do differently.

Some examples (and seriously, I encounter this kinda stuff way more often than I should lol, like a daily basis):

-Bulk up power trip corviknight
-screens koko with wild charge (probably shouldn’t have stayed in against screens koko with corv, but like, they always run the same 4 moves except against me apparently lol)
-agility Zapdos galar (cool set ngl, but like, any team only has like 1 zapdos check lol, so I played according to what I expected and then it just mowed through everything on like turn 2)
-and this one is just the ultimate example of... so what am I doing wrong here, what can I do lol...switched my Buzzwole into a THROAT SPRAY BOOMBURST ACROBATICS RILLABOOM.

Those are just a couple examples, but I really don’t know how to get out of the harder than higher ladder mid ladder when these unorthodox sets and my godawful luck make it so that all my stuff gets overwhelmed lol. Please give some advice if you have any, I’m tired of being stuck in the middle because of stuff like this (and I won’t act like it is absolutely also not in part because I am not good, but like it’s the combination of it all that makes it feel impossible for me)

I’m not salty, I just want to get better, but I’m just at a loss

edit: adding another one, loaded up a random shedinja stall team and lost my shedinja to a specs magnezone with toxic

edit2: sash pickpocket weavile stole my kartana’s choice scarf

(I know running nonstandard sets is a thing, but it’s hard for me to progress when everything is a nonstandard set that destroys me lol)
If you're having trouble with off-meta sets,then HO might be a good thing to use.Off-meta sets don't matter if you kill everything before they can use their sets against you ;)

If you're having trouble with off-meta sets,then HO might be a good thing to use.Off-meta sets don't matter if you kill everything before they can use their sets against you ;)
True, but based on my track record with hax, I need the vilest most brutal HO ever lol

Speaking of HO, why does suicide lead Mew run Flare Blitz over Explosion? Is it just to hit Corviknight on the Defog?
I'm just speaking for myself, so others may have different answers. I personally find Flare Blitz helpful against Weavile, Kartana, and Ferrothorn. I suppose its helpful against Corviknight as well, but the other three are more common as leads, at least in my experience. With the right EVs, you can live knock from both Weavile + Kart and potentially OHKO back with Blitz.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Speaking of HO, why does suicide lead Mew run Flare Blitz over Explosion? Is it just to hit Corviknight on the Defog?
That's dated, it's a relic of past metas when Excadrill was everywhere and could spin away freely hazards from Explosion sets. Flare Blitz doesn't do much to Corviknight and you are faster and can Taunt it. I'd definitely suggest going with Explosion.

That's dated, it's a relic of past metas when Excadrill was everywhere and could spin away freely hazards from Explosion sets. Flare Blitz doesn't do much to Corviknight and you are faster and can Taunt it. I'd definitely suggest going with Explosion.
Interesting, thanks!

Katy

Banned deucer.
is mienshao somewhat viable?
Some players used Mienshao but it never had some big success in the played tour games, however its Speed tier is pretty nice as 105 is actually pretty good in such a fast paced metagame and it can threaten staples like Melmetal, Magnezone, and other Pokemon such as Heatran. Regenerator and Reckless can both do some massive favors for it. However, when it comes to physical breakers Urshifu-R is its stiffest, direct competition with a secondary STAB and a decent coverage as well. Weavile also gives it competition. But if you want to build around Mienshao be sure to have good Tapu Lele, Tapu Fini, and Tapu Koko switch-ins and checks. Furthermore Landorus-T, Tornadus-T and Corviknight can give it some trouble, so make sure to have good answers to them as well. Overall, it faces stiff competition but it can still be a underrated pick.

Hopefully that helped :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)